9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2016 11:19 AM by clark3 RSS

Where to stay on Maui?

rgoldberg2 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

My Fiance and I are going on our Honeymoon in June, and have already booked flights to Maui. I am only using points, and have enough to stay anywhere (Marriott Property) on the island. This really only leaves me with two options. We are currently booked at the Wailea Beach Resort, but I am debating switching to the Ritz.

Has anyone stayed at either of these or both? Is the food at the Ritz crazy expensive?

Any info is helpful!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Where to stay on Maui?
    tklyons1 Platinum

I did stay at the Ritz for my honeymoon about 10 years ago.  Beautiful property, great beach.  It is certainly a great spot for your honeymoon.  Pool is great as well.  A couple of condsiderations:

Property is far away from evrything so you will either need a car or need to plan on taxi;s and limos.  There are pleanty of options for both including a Hertz office on property.

The place can get spendy even on points.  The F and B options are certainly there but be prepared to pay.  Breakfast for me and my wife averaged $60 per day and that was ten years ago.

If you like golf check with the golf pro at the shop to work you in as they are booked months ahead of time.

There was a sales conference going on at the same time as our tiem there.  Not a big deal but we did get edged out of the Hot tub one evening by a bunch of 'overserved' salesman celebrating!

Congrats on your neptuails and have fun!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi.  Congrats on your upcoming honeymoon.  I have stayed at the Ritz and visited the Wailea Beach Marriott.  I would think that your age, interests, and financial where-with-all would all play a part in your decision. 

First of all, I cannot imagine either property letting you down, especially on your Honeymoon.   Both places are beautiful, but they are very different.

Ritz  -  the setting is fantastic.  the property is within a large, secluded development called Kapalua.  In fact, if you have a chance turn on the golf channel today or tomorrow.  There is a golf tournament at the Plantation course within Kapalua going on and you can get a feel for the area.  This self contained area (kapalua) has at least a 1/2 dozen places you can go for dinner.  None are cheap, but there is a general store that is reasonable and within walking distance to the resort.  All are very good.  The resort is picture-perfect and one of my all-time favorites.  The pool area is fantastic and can be seen in pics if you go to the ritz website and go to this property.  there are two beaches attached to the property, both are somewhat secluded.  the grounds, which share some areas with another golf course are beautiful.  Food at the hotel is crazy expensive and that should be a consideration.  If you planned to be on a romantic honeymoon, staying close to each other and staying on -property, I would strongly suggest buying membership in the club lounge for your stay.  that way you would get good-tasting snacks (both warm and cold) several times a day.  We were upgraded to a great room and have no complaints there. 

On the other hand, if you want 'action' more than seclusion,  Wailea may be your best choice.  The 'resort' is not as sophisticated as the Ritz, but is in the same area (walking distance) as the Four Seasons, as well as other upscale properties.  You are also within walking distance to the Mall and multiple eating options.  Some of those options will be much less expensive that up in the Kapalua area, but everything is expensive on the island and you cannot expect anything to be cheap.  They had just constructed a serenity pool with a social scene around it that you might find is just the ticket for you.      There also is a wolfgang puck restaurant  in the lobby.  very nice.  The beaches in this area will be more densely populated and a lot of kids. 

the Wailea area is somewhat better situated to visiting the volcano site, and the road to Hanna.  Both choices are about an hour from the airport as I recall. 

I hope this helps a bit.  As I said, either way, you cannot go wrong.  enjoy

shoeman

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hello rgoldberg2!

Congrats!  My fiancee and I also are planning our honeymoon, though we'll be going in November.  We also live in Hawaii (Oahu), so we'll be going to Europe instead. 

I haven't stayed at either property, but as tklyons1 and shoeman1000 have mentioned, Kapalua is secluded.  Wailea is definitely a more centralized area with a lot more to do.  Like shoeman1000 had mentioned, Wailea would be more preferable if you plan on going to Haleakala National Park.  I would highly recommend going there and seeing the sunrise if you are up to such a long drive so early in the morning.  Another thing worth checking out in the area is the Alii Kula Lavender Farm.  It is a beautiful sight open to the public with its own gift shop.  My family loves to use their Lavender Gourmet Seasoning on fish and beef.

Alii Kula Lavender Maui

A very popular place for locals to go when traveling to Maui from other islands is Home Maid Bakery in Wailuku, which is above Kahului.  Home Maid Bakery is known for their "crispy manju," which is a Japanese confection with a crispy crust and a variety of fillings.  They also have mochi (rice cakes) stuffed with coconut, peanut butter, or azuki beans.

HOME MAID BAKERY | Crispy Manju & other Maui Baked Goods

Regardless of whether you stay in Wailea or Kapalua, I'd recommend checking our Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi bar.  My fiancee and I love to go to their Waikiki location, which is located in the Waikiki Beach Marriott.  The original restaurant is located in Kihei, Maui, which is next to Wailea, though they also have a location in Kapalua.  They have great traditional and modern sushi dishes, as well as Japanese noodle dishes (best being the Dungenese Crab Ramen with Truffle Butter Dashi) and large plates with steaks, pastas, etc. 

SANSEI Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - Dinner Nightly 5:30 to 10:00 P.M.

While I've never been there, Sansei's owner DK Kodoma and Hawaii's Master Sommelier have a restaurant in Lahaina called Maui Fish and Pasta, which looks awesome.  They are opened for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Maui Fish & Pasta: A DK Restaurant

Another great option in Kapalua would be Merriman's Kapalua.  While I haven't dined at his restaurants before, many friends and local critics have given his restaurants great reviews.  I look forward to dining at his first Oahu outpost in Ko Olina when my fiancee and I visit Aulani. 

Merriman's Restaurant - Welcome to Merriman's Kapalua, Maui

If you stay in Wailea, I'd recommend you go to acclaimed local celebrity chef, Alan Wong's new restaurant Amasia at the Grand Wailea Resort & Spa (Hilton).  There is something for everyone here, and you will not be disappointed.  If you want a true taste of Hawaii Regional Cuisine, this is it on Maui.  Not to mention, President Obama frequents Alan Wong's main establishment on King Street in Honolulu. 

Wailea Dining and Entertainment - The Restaurants and Lounges at Grand Wailea

Finally, if you venture to Lahaina and want something really different, do check out Leoda's Kitchen.  While I haven't been here either, local critics are gushing about Leoda's cuisine.  Excellent sandwiches, pot pies, and even personal dessert pies! 

http://www.leodasmaui.com

Hope this helps!  And happy planning! 

NeoTrinity Platinum

Thank you so much. I only wish I would have found your post earlier. Well, it still helps me out quite a bit for our next stay.

Always glad to help NeoTrinity!  In fact, let me know anytime you have Hawaii questions, as I am a lifelong resident.  I don't live on Maui (live on Oahu), but do go there often enough!

walla Platinum

They are building a Residence Inn in Wailea. The property looks great and is a great part of the island.  The builder has been sending a drone over the property and is posting construction updates R.D. Olson Construction: Residence Inn Wailea - Feb 2016 - YouTube

I recently stayed at a "new" Residence Inn for work and was blown away by the service and the quality of the room. I was so impressed we decided to change our September Maui reservation from the Wailea beach Marriott to the RI.

Darn, I just looked and it's opening in July right after you Honeymoon

NeoTrinity Platinum

Wow, Thank you for that information! I'll have to try it!

Looks like a great property walla, thanks for the info!  Too bad the prices are a bit high.  Dates later this year are returning $350+/night

clark3 Platinum

Just got back from a week at the RI Wailea.   Very impressed with the property, rate, breakfast, staff and proximity to most things.    There is a complimentary shuttle that can be scheduled to drop off for shopping, dinner etc.  That being said, we rented a car and stopped at Safeway on "31" on the way to RI to load up on weekly provisions--wine, cheese, sodas etc.  With a walking (a good 15 minutes) or driving (2 minutes) distance to shopping or a lot of high end hotels with very good restaurants we had a nice week.  The pool was not real crowded and close to rooms.  Got upgraded to an ocean view (am a platinum elite).  Most parking is ticketed but validation is very easy and terms liberal.  The RI has parking ticket gates close to being operational.  Drive from the airport was real easy with good roads (unlike St Croix!!) Took a day trip to the west part of Maui and stopped near the Westin Maui (we stayed there years ago) and it reminded us of a cruise ship! (crowded, commercial etc).  Wailea is a lot more upscale and sedate.   Only real shortcomings were lack of beach proximity by foot (shuttle or drive) and a true lunch venue (that's  the nature of RI) so we walked over to the Marriott, had lunch (got points) and strolled to their beach.   All in all a nice trip, good accommodations and a hearty endorsement to others looking for a Maui trip

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...