1 2 3 16 Previous Next 226 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 12:34 PM by iahflyr RSS

Airport security - Pre check

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am part of pre-check and just used it last Friday departing for Maui.  It was like I had gone through a time machine.  No line.  Kept shoes on.  Kept jacket on.  Didn't take out my computer or liquids.  Put stuff on belt and went through a metal detector.  No radiation and/or being groped.  Woe!  Wonderful.

Check to see if you qualify.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

yup.  It is a great procedure and hopefully the beginning of returning to some normalacy in air travel.  while it is a form of profiling, we know who the bad guys are and some measures can be taken that do not need to affect the other 99.9% of the travelers.  where did you stay on Maui?  Just saw the coverage of the PGA tourney at Kapalua on tv.  the weather was horrific and the tourney was delayed/cancelled both Friday and Saturday. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

californian,

Good advice!

I too qualify, and one more thing I would like to add.  If you are traveling with another person, take all of their liquids, and any other items to make their experience with TSA easier as well.

Delta really did me a favor by allowing me to participate in this program!

• 3. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    tklyons1 Platinum

TSA pre cehck is a great option.  Problem is that it is up to the local TSA agent to let you through or direct you to the regular line.  When you get it it saves a ton of time and frustration.  When you don;t it pisses me off because it seems like I have been through the process, I should use it!

• 4. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    tklyons1 Platinum

By the way did you miss the grope?

• 5. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

tklyons.  I too get pissed when I don't get cleared, but your anger is misplaced.  It is a 'random' program so to not be predictable, and your clearing for a flight is decided when the tsa agent slides your boarding pass over the machine.  If you hear 3 beeps, you have been cleared, if you only hear one, the system (not the tsa agent) has decided to not give you the pass that flight.  I average about a 90% success rate and the airline I am flying on does not seem to have any weight on the decision. 

Jerry  - great idea about taking fellow passengers liquids.  I had not thought of that. 

• 6. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman,

I had no idea this was a random process.  I really thought Delta did it for me.  Thanks for clearing this up!

By the way, I take everything from my travel partner with me when I get cleared.  It just makes it so much easier for them not to have even a coat if they don't have to!

• 7. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

shoeman -- Is this program called the Global entry program or something like that, and has a 100 dollar application fee?  I know that they have been expediting military in uniform thru also, but as we know from Ft Hood, that's no guarantee of trustworthiness.  So with this program, you don't go thru the metal detector, or the xray machine?  And your bags are scanned either? Hmmm?  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what the exemption covers??  Thanks.

• 8. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

PreCheck is a TSA-administered program that uses databases from airlines' frequent flyer programs as well as Global Entry, Nexus, and Sentri participants. It is covered in detail as far as qualifications and process here: TSA Pre✓™ | Transportation Security Administration.

• 9. Re: Airport security - Pre check

Shoe,

There has been some rain but mostly high winds.  The electricity has gone out 3 times yesterday and was out in Lahina so the restaurants were not serving food.  I plan to drive past Kapalua tomorrow and hope to avoid traffic due to the delay in the golf.

• 10. Re: Airport security - Pre check

As far as security, those who took a science class might remember that when you are looking for something, the first thing you do is to eliminate what you know it is not.  That is what they are attempting to do.  They could go farther and build a mathematical model of a terrorist and tweak it often.  They could use this to select passengers who need the extra look at.  It could be done by computer as opposed to a random check.

• 11. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Shoe, as californian has said, the weather has been very wet and windy in Hawaii!  I lost power in Pearl City on Oahu on Friday night, but it came back on a few hours later.  It's still quite windy and rainy today and is expected to remain this way until at least Tuesday. 

• 12. Re: Airport security - Pre check

The Global Entry program and pre-check are two different programs.  Pre-check is free.

• 13. Re: Airport security - Pre check

What I am trying to figure out,is does the pre check go with me on any airline or just where I have status?

• 14. Re: Airport security - Pre check
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

PreCheck is, but the odds of being selected as a participant solely on frequent flyer membership reduces the chances dramatically. GE/Nexus/Sentri put you in the PreCheck pool automatically.

1 2 3 16 Previous Next