24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 2:59 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

NYC Marriott Properties - Unbelievable Rates!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Have a trip planned for NYC the week after next, and had reserved a room in Dec for $169/nite and I thought I had an unbelievable price then

Today, I was just checking the other NYC properties to make sure that was the best deal, and the rates had dropped to $116/nite which is pretty much unbelievable for NYC.

These ultra low rates exists for:

• Fairfield Inn on 28th btw 6th & 7th as either a prepaid or AAA rate for $116/nite
  • Upper East Side Courtyard on 92nd btw 1st & 2nd for $116/nite as a prepay or $110/nite with the AAA rate.

If you have been wanting to spend some time in the city, now is the time to do it at a great rate!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side
New York, New York, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
  • Re: NYC Marriott Properties - Unbelievable Rates!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP,

You can't go wrong with these choices!

Good luck and tell us how it goes!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

JC,

Booked for the FFI as its walking distance from Penn Station.

Can't remember seeing a rate this low in NYC for years!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Wish I could take advantage of those great rates, but airfare from Hawaii is insane!  Not to mention my lack of available vacation time! 

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

If that's the same FI I stayed at, it's a "repurposed" property, and has the smallest rooms I have EVER been in. It is convenient to a lot, and if all you want is a place to flop, it's fine, but for any serious travel (or traveling with more than yourself and maybe a pet hamster) it will be definitely cozy.

Thanx jkernitzki for the background!

Do you know what it use to be?

Since we rarely spend much time in the room in NYC, it will be fine.

Biggest problem for me is its so close to all the great shopping on broadway!

Luckily, just there for 1 nite prior to boarding our ship the next day!

and our cruise ship cabin is definately smaller, though has a balcony!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP,

At least you know what to expect!

Maybe calling them in advance will help you get a larger room.

Thanx JC for the suggestion!

Last time I was there, they put me on a high floor with a great view.

There are 2 or 4 penthouses, which I did not get, but the room they gave me was very nice.

Won't be in it much anyways.

Could actually take the train in the day of, but I like being there a day in advance, so we can get up leisurely, have breakfast and catch our taxi to the port for an 11am pre-board.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Gem -

I don't recall even asking, it may have been a hotel, apartment, or even an office building (or even all three) in the past.  The place is maybe 50 feet wide, tops, and they squeezed two rooms across—plus elevators, utilities, etc.—into that. The bed took up about 60% of the usable square footage in my room, which faced the street.

Here's the view from the room, such as it was.  I was there in June 2010 according to the photo metadata.

- John

IMG_0002.JPG

I think the last time I was there I was on the 2nd to top floor, with the top floor having the penthouses.

My room was directly across from the elevators.

It was also before a cruise, so all I remember was checking in, going out to shop broadway, coming back late, getting up early, and catching a taxi to the cruiseport.

I did try to stop for breakfast, but the breakfast room was packed, not an available table to be had, but since the dining room is open for lunch on the cruise ship after embarkation, I figured I might as well just wait an hour and eat on board.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Mmm ... I find it's always a difficult balance point on price vs value ... but, as you say, how much time do you actually spend in the room? ... in big US cities, I find that as long as it's quiet and comfortable, I'm not too concerned re space/view ... I look upon them as a bonus.  As for breakfast ... I've never had a problem finding somewhere good and reasonably priced in major US cities.  But then, I do come from the UK, where most hotel rooms are pretty small and a decent breakfast can be hard to find ... unless you can get in a Marriott CL ...

If they are not too crowded, and I am up in time, I can usually find oatmeal on the breakfast buffet.

Anyways, am meeting with some friends from WDC & Australia who will be there for lunch at Go Go Curry, so I am not overly concerned about breakfast, and ship will have tons of food to boot.

If any one is interested in an expensive, ethnic restaurant, Go Go Curry is a Japanese restaurant specializing in Japanese Curry.  They have 2 locations in NYC, 3 in Singapore, both serious foodie cities so you have to be good and cheap.

http://www.gogocurryusa-ny.com/index.html

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/go-go-curry/

http://www.nytimes.com/restaurants/1154688643266/go-go-curry/details.html

I think I may try shoeman1000's recommendation on the seafood restaurant in SoHo the night before for dinner as it sounds great!

http://www.aquagrill.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/restaurants/1002207982920/aquagrill/details.html

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/aquagrill/

http://www.zagat.com/r/aquagrill-manhattan#name-anchor

shoeman1000

Hey GemP, you got me really excited there!  I looked up the Go Go in Singapore and it showed up as being on Orchard right near the Marriott ... however, the website was unavailable.  I checked around the various travel sites and it looks like Go Go has closed ... ... it sounded great.

Sorry Chrisf to get your hopes up, but the NYC site says there are 3 locations in Singapore. At first it seemed strange as Singapore is famous for the nonya cooking primarily mixing chinese, indian and local, so to introduce Japanese seemed odd, but then I thought about how much Singapore is a foodie city, and that the nonya curries are mixing styles and ingredients just like japanese curry mixes styles and ingredients, and I could see why this might be popular as an exotic item in singapore.  matter fact, our stay there, we were anxious to try all the local foods, but our local friends there that were hosting us, were anxious to try out some ethnic restaurants they thought we had expertise in, so we had to split our time dininng, between what was new to us, and what was new to them.

Thought I would try out some searches to see if I could come up with any interesting info on what happened, but it is indeed closed. From the posts in YELP it looks like as of last September.  Anyways the YELP posts are interesting to see how those in Singapore view the food.  I will need to ask the NYC restaurant why the website has not been updated, and what happened to the Singapore location.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/go-go-curry-singapore-2

I Guess that I'll have to wait until our next NYC visit, GemP. I'll be interested to hear how your visit goes.

Am looking forward to it!

These are what I call my pseudo trips, where I enjoy an ethnic restaurant that makes me feel like I am in another country.  Works really good if you pair it with a movie, so when I went to Shamshimry (Persian food) I went to see Argo again, and felt like I made a quick visit to Tehran, and was happy to have never left the US given the political environment these days.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

This looks like a view from the lower floors.

Last visit I was on the 18th floor, and this visit the 16th floor.

Both had great views of the empire state building, very similiar to the view I get at the Residence Inn on 6th bet 38th-39th, except a slitely different angle.

I still thinks its the best Marriott deal in town.

Sure I can stay in nicer places but I will be paying at least double the price.

Just checking rates again today, to see if they have gone down, or if any other properties had low prices to compare with, and saw that the Upper East Side Marriott AAA price today is $101. This is an unbelievable rate for a NYC hotel.  Unfortunately I need to be on the lower east side, so will not be able to change, but am paying only $15/nite more.

These are unbelievably low rates for NYC for anyone interested in taking advantage of them and spending time in NYC.

turbodave Gold

Before you go to NYC, do yourself a favor and check out the "Introduce a Friend" program at the Central Park Ritz. I grew up in NY & all my family is

still there. I normally use points for the usual 4-nights & the 5th night free deal. This is a Category 8 Hotel directly across the street from Central Park. They normally get around 40,000 pts./nt. that's 160,000 for 5-nights. You may have an opportunity now if you get a friend to join & use this program. You personally pay 10,000/night or 40,000 for 5-nights.

If your a big fan of NYC & are a MVC owner, there is a rumor floating around Times Square the Marriott Marquis is going to switch over to MVC and stop being a Hotel this Summer. I have no idea if this is true, but hope it is. If any city deserves a Marriott Timeshare it's NY.

Turbo

turbodave

I stay at Ritz properties from time-to-time and am not aware of the program you referred to as "introduce a friend".  Can you please elaborate?  It sounds like a great opportunity. 

thanks

turbodave Gold

This program when started was basically intended for Marriott people to know that they can now use rewards points at Ritz properties. Then it changed with the times and started offering referral incentives. I honestly don't know if this program is still running, but worth asking about. The only downside is Ritz takes Marriott points, but does not give them. Ritz are all Category 8 Hotels. The upside is with advance notice almost every Ritz has great deals on their respective off season rates. It appears to me the best way to stay at a Ritz is to pay cash for the room & use points for upgrades, spa, meals, etc.

Turbo!

Turbo

not sure what you mean by "Ritz takes Marriott points, but does not give them."  I get Marriott points every time I stay there.  Did I misunderstand your point?

Will keep this in mind if I convince any of my friends to do this, but most of them are looking for me to get them the deals like I did last week (FFI @ $98/nite).

I have officially lived in the NYC area now for 8 years, but before that spent several years living in Marriotts in Manhattan and in New Jersey.  Also have family and friends living in Manhattan that I could stay with, especially when I am traveling alone.  Or I could be not so lazy and just take the train back and forth.

This is all just for fun and relaxation!

Fantastic view from our room (1604) of the Empire State Building.

Its the same view I have from the Residence Inn on 6th bet 38th-39th, but from a different angle.

ViewFromNYC-FFIof EmpireStateBuilding.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...