2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 2:00 PM by lengeiger RSS

WOW: POPULR - New Marriott Points Shopping System?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Curious, but has anyone else noticed the (new? improved? broadened?) Marriott points shopping system, under either AwardHQ or Populr ????  Did I miss an announcement about this? [SORRY if I missed this and I'm just behind the times....]  Have these types of incentives always been available?!?!??!?  (You can shop SkyMall too - Marriott Rewards Points | Redeem Marriott Rewards Points , but don't get distracted!!!)

In any event, if you haven't seen the offerings on Populr yet, I must say I'm impressed:

• There are a host of intriguing, high-end options (e.g., over 500,000 points);
  • Once you get up into the big totals, say 800,000+ points, there are some show-stoppers, including:
    • Classic cars - yes, cars -, from 8-9 million points
    • Fishing boats from 3-5 millions points
    • A custom Harley Davidson or a Brazilian World Cup trip - over 2 million points
    • China and Hong Kong OR South African Safari OR India and Nepal trips - 2 million points
    • Monaco Grand Prix, Kentucky Derby, or Vegas Fight Night packages
    • Masters Golf Tourney, Italian Cooking Trip, Egypt Trip, NCAA Final Four, OR a Daytona 500 NASCAR package - at 1+ million points
    • The impressive Canon 5D Mark III camera with a 24-105 mm lens - 926,000 points (currently retails for around $4,000 and up)
    • Custom gowns, movie premiers, and even walk-on TV roles - from 500,000 to 900,000 points....

Check it out - shop by points here - Session Timeout - (no, I have no idea why that icon says "Session Timeout") start at 500,000 and go up....

Just one more reason that Marriott continues to earn my long-term loyalty.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WOW: POPULR - New Marriott Points Shopping System?
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

It's been there for a while now.  It certainly expands greatly on the SkyMall partnership & offerings, more along the lines of AMEX Rewards as far as the variety. But (there's always a but), the point exchange rate is pretty poor in general IMHO (averages about 0.4 cents per point), which is generally in the same range as SkyMall, maybe a tad lower.

It reminds me of the Neiman-Marcus Xmas catalog (his & hers matching Mustangs, for example); a lot of extravagance available to a very small portion of members realistically. Still, it's fun to look.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WOW: POPULR - New Marriott Points Shopping System?
    lengeiger Platinum

I was unaware of the change until last week when I ordered a new Club Glove travel golf bag from Populr.  A week later it's still "processing"  Everything I've ordered in the past, from iron sets to a Tag watch have arrived within 7 business days.