14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 11:10 AM by erc RSS

"Hotel chains adopt split personalities"

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to an article in today's USA Today, "major hotel chains are building two hotels on one property, some in the the same building, that target two very different clienteles".  The examples given for Marriott properties included a combined Residence Inn/Renaissance hotel in Alexandria, VA.  A Residence Inn/Courtyard is under development near the L.A. Live complex in downtown in Los Angeles near the JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton which already share space in one property.  The article also describes a Courtyard/Residence Inn that will open later this year near Manhattan's Central Park.  The Courtyard will include floors 6-32 and the Residence Inn will include floors 36-64.  Shared spaces include the fitness center, retail space, a restaurant, lounge, and outdoor seating overlooking Broadway.

I remember staying in a downtown Marriott property in Austin, Texas where a Courtyard and a Residence Inn were in the same building.  I also remember several locations where 2 or 3 Marriott properties were very cose together, but did not share facilities.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square
New York, New York, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
  • Re: "Hotel chains adopt split personalities"
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I've stayed at those "clusters" several times, pretty handy really.

Now for the new combo properties, book the CY, get max points per dollar and have brekkies at the RI? Nah, I'm sure they've already thought of that. But, you could book the RI and have availability to the Bistro, as that's open to all. Not that I'd particularly care to, but still.

I want to see a Fairfield/Ritz combo.  Now that is covering your bases.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

J, when we stayed at the RI side of the property in Austin, they checked your name and room number before you could enter the dining room.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Marriott has liked to cluster hotels to share resources and keep costs down.  Sharing a building is not but restaurants have been doing it and it has proven good.  To put a RI with a Renaissance hotel is a good idea.  People at the RI and walk over for dinner and such.  I assume that more checking is done when coming in for breakfast at the RI is this case.  I have only stayed at one RI in Durango and they did not check.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

californian,

Having stayed at many RI, and have never been checked.  I think it is a good idea.  I always take my food back to my room, as there are too many people that act like "They are going to the Chair", (There last meal).  It is somewhat disturbing!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Aberdeen, MD has a minor league baseball team that plays at Cal Ripkin Stadium. There is a CY/RI combo there. It's been there for a few years. I only stayed there once. I can't remember which half of the building I stayed in. lol

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

razorbackfan,

I just read the same article on USA today's site and was about to make a post and see you beat me to the punch.   Also noteworthy from the article is that there is a new Courtyard/Residence Inn joint property in the works this year for the Central Park area of Manhattan with views of both the Hudson River and Times Square.

erc Platinum

Speaking of split personality properties, I just booked another erc special at the Chicago Downtown River North SpringHill Suites (at the bottom of a Residence Inn) for $79 (and the rates are still available in January - come on over, I'll treat you to breakfast) . Moving from the 290 sq. ft. $159 Mag Mile Marriott (a fine property - but come on) and investing the dollars in meals at Weber, Frontera, Joe's Stone Crab and a Shakespeare play at the Navy Pier with my daughter.  That's why us Insiders always check right up to the last week/day - yeah baby!

Now I'm off to my $79 Mayflower (that's right, Mayflower) weekend room booked in October (pre-paid, as DC resident, I have the luxury of gambling locally). Hopefully painedplatinum hasn't taken the last upgrade!

PS - Mayflower front desk personnel swear the Concierge Lounge is open on weekends (as an experiment) that would be a tremendous bonus; partying like it's 1999 (yes, my reference to last time Redskins hosted a home playoff game - I figured I'd get one last shout out in, just in case it ends tomorrow).

Erc, we were told yesterday that the "open on week-ends" policy was due to end on Dec.31; however, as you've probably found out, it is open this week-end.  They are considering having a package deal on the week-ends which will include access to the lounge, apparently open to anyone who wants to buy the package. 

erc Platinum

Yes, it was like winning the lottery (a small one - perhaps $50 scratch offs !). It's amazing how free sodas, waters, eggs, and desserts can influence a peabrain like myself toward having a great time (plus great sunny 45 degree walking weather). It was a perfect weekend getaway.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

RB,

Very interesting!

Thanx for bringing this to our attention.

Did you know that your article now appears when I do a google search on the topic?

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/68656

Just to into google, and enter the following as your search text,

"hotel chains are building two hotels on one property"

More information on this phenomena with even more detail on the new Marriott NYC property which will be helpful for making decisions on which to book,

"Near Manhattan's Central Park a Courtyard and Residence Inn owned by Marriott International, will open up in late 2013.

The hotel will be the tallest stand-alone hotel building in New York with 68 floors.

• Courtyard hotel will provide a refreshing environment for business and leisure travelers
    • Residence Inn will offer all-suite accommodation for longer stays

The hotels will share:

• main entrance
    • fitness facility
    • retail space
    • a restaurant, lounge
    • outdoor seating overlooking Broadway.
    • views of the Hudson River and Times Square

Not shared:

• public areas for Residence Inn on the 3rd floor and the Courtyard on the 4th.
    • Guestrooms for the Residence Inn will be on floors 36 to 64 with Courtyard on floors 6 to 32

http://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/4118/20130104/dual-branded-two-one-hotels-opening-up.htm

http://www.element-360.com

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/hotels/2013/01/02/two-hotels-in-one/1796821/

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/68656  (started/led by razorbackfan, contributors alrenaissance, californian, GemPrincess,jerrycoin, jkernitzki, painedplatinum, vaboywnder,  et. al

Location Brand Hotel
    New York, New York, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square
    New York, New York, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
      alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Very good info, and well informed as always Gem.

Thanx Al,

when I need to look up this information to use it later in 2013, at least I will know where to find it, and that it will also appear in my google searches!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...