7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 10:56 AM by eb5147 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Tips for traveling the Northeast via train

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Very interesting CM!

Are there any similiar plans with Amtrak, or any of the regional trains (NJT, LIRR,SEP, etc)?

Being on the east coast I tend to use trains more than cars?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tips for traveling the Northeast via train
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Amtrak Promotions - No Promo Code Needed for the Low Train Fares

Amtrak - Deals - Rail Passes

Cheap Train Tickets to Raleigh, NC, Atlanta, GA, Miami, FL and More | Amtrak

Sample one-way fares from:

New York, NY to Miami, FL$139
    Raleigh, NC to New York, NY$88
    Washington, DC to Durham, NC$51
    Charlotte, NC to Washington, DC$78
    Atlanta, GA to New Orleans, LA$72
    El Paso, TX to San Antonio, TX$79
    Orlando, FL to Miami, FL$42

(One hint for traveling on heavy runs is to take some disinfectant spray, especially for the restrooms, which sometimes smell saturated.  The double deck sight seeing trains from Chicago going west were great.  They may have improved by now, but they shouldn't have been that bad then.)

Rail Deals Every Week - 25% Off Amtrak Fares across the US | Amtrak SmartFares

Amtrak Fare Sales, Discount Train Tickets & More in Your E-mail | Amtrak

Take the Trains across America with the USA Rail Pass | Amtrak

For each pass type you are allowed a certain number of travel segments within the travel periods. All travel must be completed within 180 days of purchasing the pass. Pass prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed until actual travel reservations are made.

15 Days (8 segments)

- Adult

- Child (Ages 2-15)

30 Days (12 segments)

- Adult

- Child (Ages 2-15)

45 Days (18 segments)

- Adult

- Child (Ages 2-15)

The USA Rail Pass is not intended for use as a commuting pass.

Amtrak - Deals - Multi-Ride Tickets

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147

Thanx for the info!

Don't know why I have not noticed this.

With a great train ticket sale and a Cat 1-4 certificate I can have alot of nice weekend trips, or even long holiday weekends!

eb5147

I just tried this out for my ticket to Washington DC for an upcoming long weekend, and was able to get a ticket for $49/ each way which is much cheaper than my AAA discount ($63/each way).  Its even a better discount than the Senior rate which I do not yet qualify for but is only 15%, for just planning in advance.

Will use up the last of my Cat 1-4 certificates prior to the start of the spring promotion, and then use the Amtrak deals to visit cities and try out new Marriotts and earn Spring Promotion coupons.

For not much more than what I spend on regional train tickets, I can use Amtrak and broaden the choice on destinations, which is more than covered by spending less on hotels than I would in NYC where I am unable to use Cat 1-4 certificates. Wouldn't even be able to use the Cat 5 certificates.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

many states and locations use car rentals fees to pay for all kinds of stuff like stadiums etc. but usually more thru airports. i have found that renting away from an airport is cheaper as the tax for improvements at the airport is not charged

occassionally while traveling by train I do need to pick up a rental car, so I have been keeping a lookout for train stations that rent cars.  Not certain how their pricing stacks up with airport, and other off airport locates.  Thus far, I have rented cars at both New Haven, and Washington DC Union station.

I just saw a commercial for Enterprise that they rent on weekends for rates starting at $9.99 / day.

Great!!  That's cheaper than driving, I think.

Did you also sign up for the e-mails on that link?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...