11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 12:05 PM by californian RSS

Parking

mattice Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Is parking ever free for Gold Elite Members?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Parking
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Mattice,

In most, not all, instances where parking is not free for guests at Marriott properties, it's run by a 3rd party. The hotel doesn't have much leeway and I don't think you'll get comped parking. If there is a hotel that manages their own parking, I'm guessing there is a chance, but I wouldn't count on it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

One exception I've found to look out for is a parking garage that closes at 5 p.m. on Friday evenings and doesn't open again until Monday morning.  This is what is going on in Columbia, SC and the Marriott still tries to collect on Sat. and Sun.  They have removed the charges for me when I asked when checking out on Sunday.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am platinum and have never been comped for parking unless free parking is part of a package.  Depending on your location free street parking may be available.

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hi Mattice,

Complimentary parking is not one of the Gold Elite benefits.

Thanks,

JohnL

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

It is when it's free for everyone; there's no parking benefit at any status level.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I was able to choose free self parking as a PLATINUM arrival gift at the JW Grande Lakes Orlando. Great choice. Saved us $25/day. It wasn't on the card. I had to ask for it.

erc Platinum

tker

1) Congrats on a terrific coup

2) Kudos to the JW for the offer, that's pretty doggone stylish (befitting of a JW) of them

3) Thanks for sharing - once again teaching us that it's a shopper's bazaar when it comes to elite benefits

4) Boy, this clearly demonstrates to me, the almost obscene financial windfall parking is for properties (it would be great if parking fees went the way of internet for elites, but to dream) for them to trade $25 a day, for no doubt, several days, for a split of merlot (or whatever) and some brie, when head of global revenue D.R.Roberts stated, understandably so, they would not lower the price of a room at check-in.

5) This also points out the dilemma of wanting to share attractive/reasonable bennies among ourselves without getting anyone in trouble or having the benefit shut down by the mothership. Let's hope property autonomy remains strong and responsive; like we're starting to see ever so gradually with weekend breakfast.

Great stuff tker, thanks for taking the effort. It shows me once again, 2013 will be a year requiring discipline and focus if I want to avoid the cognitive dissonance of thinking I left money on the table (I was on the site booking a room that had six different prices and finally stumbled onto the lpr price that was $40 less than AAA and of course even more savings vs. standard). I'm now getting an understanding why Marriott has so many different prices on their own site. I travel on my own dime, so I am motivated to take the time to dig up the incremental savings. If I was traveling on a corp's budget, I would probably stop after getting under my allowed figure, because in most cases it wouldn't be worth the additional time snorting around the site looking for a few bucks - these dollars though insignificant to the individual traveler, multiplied thousands of times, are meaningful to Marriott. I see the light, hallelujah.

That's interesting.  Do you know if that is regularly available there on request, or did they just comp it for you? 

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I read about it on Trip Advisor. It seemed to be a standing benefit. No problem at all at check in.

I do agree with erc. Parking can be a cash cow for hotels-except those in major cities. In many cases, they don't own the parking areas. I just HATE paying for parking-especially when it approaches $25-$50/day!

Whenever I have a client "in the city" (like NYC, Chicago, NOLA, etc.) I seek to avoid renting a car at all if I can manage it. Paying for—and even finding—parking at both ends is so wasteful, and navigating the streets sometimes is just too stressful. Other places (like your JW) just don't leave many options, though.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have learned a lot from Trip Advisor too.  I wish this site would organize a section for TA type of reviews.  Organization is on 2013 agenda and I hope this is high on the list.

More and more hotels are adding parking charges and they are skyrocketing.  Resorts are adding resort fees and they are moving upward too.  A lot of this is to be able to offer lower prices on search sites for bookings.  I also think that it gives hotels income from free nights earned by us.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...