17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 2:44 PM by alrenaissance RSS

Credit Card Bonus

mattice Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a bonus for spending $25 k on Marriott Visa in a year?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Credit Card Bonus
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hi Mattice,

If you are talking about the Marriott Rewards Visa cards offered by Chase, then no.  If you are a Premier card holder, though, you will receive 1 ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHT for every $3,000 spent on the card in addition to the 15 awarded to you annual for just being a cardholder.  So spending $25,000 will get you 8 elite qualifying nights.  If you aren't already a cardholder, I'd recommend getting this card and not the standard Marriott Rewards Visa Signature from Chase.  The higher annual fee is well worth the benefits of the card.

On the other hand, the Ritz-Carlton Rewards card by JP Morgan (Chase) does offer an automatic upgrade to Gold level if you spend $10,000 in a year.  However, that card has a $400 annual fee.  Steep as that may be, it might be worth it if you travel a lot, as it includes membership in the Lounge Club and offers $200 in credit to incidental charges from airlines.  Furthermore, you get 3 free annual upgrades to Club Lounge level and $100 credit every time you stay 2 nights or more. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I spend a ton on my Marriott Chase Visa Signature, way in excess of $25,000. On the Chase Sapphire Preferred, you do get a 7% bonus awarded at the end of the year each December. This bonus is readily transferable to Marriott points on a 1:1 basis. I just got mine for 2012.

I did not know about the benefits of the Ritz-Carlton card, and can now easily seeing this becoming one of my next back-ups.  Thank you for the Info, Kyle!

Me too!  I use it for all purchases I need to make and have even given my family members cards so that they can take advantage of the 0% foreign transaction fee.  Last year's spend total was a staggering $48,000! 

I have the Chase Sapphire standard.  Was thinking of getting the Preferred, but I prefer getting the Elite Qualifying bonuses given by the Marriott Rewards Premier Chase Visa Signature card!  The Ritz-Carlton card is tempting too, but if I could afford to get a $400+ annual fee card, it would be the Citi Executive AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard. 

I know what you mean, but in the last 2 years I grabbed the start bonus of 50,000 for the Marriott signature AND the 40,000 points for the Sapphire Preferred. Love it! 

rodrigst Platinum 5 Reviews

Why not get both?

I have the marriot rewards premiere card and just signed up for the chase saphire premiere to get the 40k bonus after three months. I'll easliy charge that!

Pretty much what I did as well. Had Marriott one for couple years, and got Sapphire preferred about 6 months ago. Already got the points. Now my girlfriend just got the Sapphire, and I spent $3000 this month, so waiting for the 40,000 reward right now, which I heard is transferrable to my account, since she does not have a Marriott account and relies on mine. I heard it is no problem to transfer, which although the rules say to spouse or partner, I know people who have said they have done it no problem. I hope so!

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hi Mattice,

Chase will run promotions from time to time that allows you to earn extra points for spending "X" dollars in "X" amount of time.  However, I'm not aware of any particular promotions for $25k in a year.

Thanks,

JohnL

pjgavmanship Member

I just received my card. I'm looking forward to earning a few nice stays

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

No the MR card does not do this.  The United Airlines Citibank card gives you a bonus of 10,000 miles if you spend at least $25,000 in a calendar year.  I qualified for this in 2012, so I got the bonus.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I wish the Marriott credit card would increase the points for charges related to food, gas, etc.  Then I would move my charges from amex which gives me 6 points per dollar spent now!

You don't even get bonus points for gas... I wish you would get for that!

I wish there would be ANY bonus. I have only been a member for about 2 years, but have never been targeted for anything special, and my spending is very large. Perhaps they figure they do not need to target me as I am already spending a lot anyway.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I get 2 pts/$ on car rentals and of course 5 pts/$ spent at a Marriott.

I get those, and 2 points on food (dining), but I think that is standard.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I think it is.  That is good to know about food.

There KIND OF is a bonus... just bought TurboTax through Marriott's ShopMyWayMall.. 11pts/$ + credit card's 1pt/$ = 12pts/$! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...