11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 5:53 PM by detroitbiztraveler RSS

Ritz Battery Park or Renaissance New York Hotel 57

detroitbiztraveler Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all,

I'm going to New York City for 2 nights, a Friday and Saturday, with my fiance.  It will be our first time visiting NYC.  I'm a Gold member for Marriott Rewards and I'm torn between two hotel options.  They are:

Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $197/night for a Superior guest room w/a queen; or

Ritz Carlton Battery Park - $275/night for a 1 King neighborhood view w/a $100 resort credit

My main criteria is:

1) What is the likelihood of a room upgrade

2) Concierge Lounge hours, breakfast options, and late night snacks/drinks

3) Location for all the "tourist" activities (I know the Renaissance is better; however, is it sooo much better that it's a better option of a hotel?)

4) Safety at night (we plan on visiting bars and will have to make the travel back to the hotel late at night).

5) Anything else I should be considering???

I know the Ritz is $150 more; however, I'm comparing price as nearly the same given the $100 credit will pay for a meal that I'd have to buy otherwise.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57
  • Re: Ritz Battery Park or Renaissance New York Hotel 57
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

detroitbiz traveler

first of all, I stay at the Hotel 57 property several times a year and have never been to the Ritz in Battery Park.  That said, lets review your criteria.

1. room upgrade

I do not think you have much of a chance with either property.  It has been my experience that Ritz does not upgrade Marriott folks and my upgrade experience at Hotel 57 has been spotty.  Maybe once or twice in 20+ stays.

2. Conceirge Lounge hours

Ritz does not have not a 'concierge' lounge.  Most properties have a club lounge that you pay extra for and, if available, would provide (for a cost) multiple snack options and long hours.  I think the cost is around $50 a night.  The Lounge at hotel 57 is nice and is open for breakfast  (nice spread), and in the evening (the option of a free appetizer from the restaurant). It remains open late (maybe 10 or 11 pm).  No snacks are layed out for easy taking.

3.Location

Hotel 57 hands-down has the better location for experiencing the city.  That said, taxi's are a dime a dozen and you can get around from anywhere.  I know you can easily walk safely from Hotel 57 to almost anywhere, not sure you can do that from the Ritz.

4.  Safety at night

It is my opinion that as long as you use your head, NYC is one of the safest cities in America.  Because I always stay at Hotel 57, I would lean in thqat direction because I do frequent bars/restaurants and walk everywhere.  I am not familiar with the locale of the Ritz.

5.  anything else

Now that I have leaned heavily toward Hotel 57, here are a few caveats.

1.  Ritz service is unbeatable, and the club lounge is very nice.

2.  Many rooms at Hotel 57 are very small and pretty worn out.

I would still pick Hotel 57, but that is because of my familiarity to the property.  Either way, do some research and you will enjoy your visit immensly.

Shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

detroitbiztraveler Gold

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback and opinions.  This is going to be a tough decision.

FYI Regarding the Ritz - being a gold member gives you free access to the club lounge.  I'm not sure if that's a new perk of not; however, I called today and confirmed.

Hi.  If this property is offering GOLD, or PLATINUM elite members club lounge access, that is news to me.  I stay at multiple Ritz properties and have NEVER been offered this perk for free.  I might suggest you call back and clarify that MARRIOTT GOLD, Not RITZ GOLD, will get you into the Club lounge.  Each of the chains have their own elite program and you may find that the GOLD they were speaking of is within the Ritz loyalty program not Marriott's.

detroitbiztraveler Gold

Marriott should give you a thank you prize...I called the Ritz directly and they confirmed that I would NOT have access to the lounge...despite Marriott Rewards telling me this afternoon that I would.  They would have had one very, very, very angry customer if I had booked the Ritz and been denied lounge access.

this is ONE TIME I wish I had not been correct.....  However, I am glad you cleared it up now rather than upon arrival. Either way, ejoy your trip, I have been traveling to NYC for over 30 years and still find it the most exciting city in the world.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

detroitbiztraveler,

I haven't been to either property, however, oyster.com has a nice write up with pictures on both:

The Ritz-Carlton New York Battery Park, New York City | Oyster.com -- Hotel Reviews and Photos

Renaissance New York Hotel 57, New York City | Oyster.com -- Hotel Reviews and Photos

On the other hand, my fiancee's co-worker likes and often stays at the Marquis

Marriott Marquis New York, New York City | Oyster.com -- Hotel Reviews and Photos

When we were considering a visit to NYC, the hotel at the top of my list was the Marriott New York East Side because its a Cat 6 with a good CL (from what I hear) and is located near Grand Central for easy access to transit.  But I've also been told and read that it is in the business district and doesn't have much nightlife nearby. 

Marriott New York East Side, New York City | Oyster.com -- Hotel Reviews and Photos

detroitbiztraveler Gold

Kharada46, I also heard fantastic reviews about Marriott New York East Side CL; however, it is closed on the weekends

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I have stayed at both & each has its advantages.    The Renaissance 57 is mid-NYC and walking distance to major dept stores, boutiques, & restaurants.    The rooms tend to be very small with no views, but the service is super.    The concierge lounge is closed weekends, but sometimes they give MR members chits for breakfast.    There is usually a good jazz combo playing in the restaurant at night.

The Ritz is in a wonderful location downtown.   Fantastic views of the Statue of Liberty and NY Harbor.   It's a much "hipper" locale and walkable to Tribeca and SoHo where the restaurants & shops are great.     Close to the World Trade Center and Financial Center.      They do not honor MR members in their Concierge Lounge unless its been booked and paid for that way.      If you are also an Amex Platinum cardholder and book through them, you can get a great deal!

Overall, as this is your first visit to NYC and you want to see the top tourist sites (Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, MOMA, etc) the Renaissance 57's location is tops.    But if you want to see "the other New York" the Ritz Carlton is the way to go.     For a romantic, elegant getaway I'd choose the Ritz.     If you want convenience and getting to see the most during your stay go for the Renaissance.      Have Fun and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.

did you go anywhere special for dinner?

detroitbiztraveler Gold

A friend of mine who lives in NYC recommended "Tacombi" in Soho... 

A gentlemen who used to sell tacos out of his VW "pop-top" van became so popular that he bought some retail space in Soho.  However, instead of building the space out into a fancy restaurant, he simply put up picnic tables, strung some lights from the ceiling, and parked the van inside!  The tacos still come straight from the van and the sangria pitchers are delicious.  Highly recommended hidden treasure! 

We had chips and guacamole, 5 tacos and a pitcher of sangria with fresh fruit in it.  I think the total bill was around $65 or $75 after tip.

You also can't beat the view from the restaurant/lounge at the hotel we stayed it.  It basically is the same view as watching New Year's Eve.

turbodave Gold

Looks like you already enjoyed your trip to NYC. Next time you go, I recommend the Ritz at 50 Central Park So.

This is perfect for a lot of reasons. The location is awesome & just far away enough from the Times Square zoo.

Directly across from Central Park. Easy to move around and see Manhattan from every direction. Weather your with

family, friend, spouse or alone, you can get anywhere easy. I grew up in NY and miss it. When you love Manhattan,

you want to be in the center. I ride out from SoCal every year to smoke a cigar at "Ground Zero", There are 25,000

restaurants in Manhattan so that part doesn't matter. Easy cab or subway ride to Grand Central (Underneath Madison

Square Garden). From this Hotel you can start your day with a run through Central Park, walk to the Carneige Deli for

breakfast, Head down to Battery Park for the 9-11 tours, Ellis Island and work your way back up through Chinatown, Little italy.

Times Square, literally anything you want.

Just another long winded suggestion.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...