16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 12:16 AM by jerrycoin RSS

End of another year

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Tonight marks my final Marriott night of 2012, ensconced snugly at the Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa (thanks, jerrycoin!). Not for golf or spa, just another last-night-close-to-the-airport thing. This will complete a 145-night year (plus the odd dozen or so at "other" marques), coupled with the nearly 170 flights and 160 thousand some-odd miles. Please don't ask about rental cars or restaurants, I'm trying to not add any more useless travel statistics than absolutely necessary.

The MRI community is one of those safe harbors in the evening to allow me to gather my wits, share some stories, and know that—for the most part—I've got some friendly faces in which there's a common bond. You guys (the gender-neutral, colloquial "guys", Gem  ) have become part of my extended "road family", much like the TSA and United Airlines.  I know, dubious honor indeed.

Anyway, safe travels to you all, and may the new year bring prosperity, upgrades, and Cat 5 MegaBonuses!

Cheers,

John

Photo on 12-28-12 at 5.41 PM #2.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lexington, Kentucky, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: End of another year
    lengeiger Platinum

G'nite Jim.  I'm sure Griffin Gate (my preferred property in Lex) is quiet tonight.  Get some rest. Next year starts soon enough..

Len

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Not so quiet, there was a large herd of the wild Vacationing American with their offspring. The incessant clomping up and down the hallway, punctuated by the slamming of doors at the ends of the migratory path, kept me up until almost 1am. Luckily, I was able to sleep in until 4am, so I had that to be thankful for.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

The non-business travelers can be annoying!

Reminds me of the George Clooney movie where he pays the bill for the person ahead of him in the airport store as that person fishes through their wallet for change just because he is so annoyed waiting.

Was at the RI this weekend in Rosslyn Va.

Trying to stop in at the front desk to ask a quick question but some guy, obviously not a frequent traveler was trying to engage the front desk attendant in a discussion on sightseeing in the Shenandoah Valley.  She was disinterested, but trying to be polite and attentive.  Everyonce in a while she would turn her head towards me and roll her eyes, and I would smile acknowledging the sentiment.  Finally the guy left, none the wiser than no one was interested.

Head to the elevators, in a hurry to pick up my coat and leave for dinner with friends waiting in a car, and a large family comes into the lobby, everyone is drifting in different directions, some toward the front desk, some to the front door, and some to the elevator.  Three of the younger ones got to the elevator before me, one got in and held the door open, the other two are looking back at the front desk where a couple are huddled.

I get in the elevator and the girl continues to hold the door.  I stare, and she gets uncomfortable and steps outside, then as the door closes someone puts there arm in, and gets in, Doors start to close again, and another sticks their arm in and gets in, then a third.  They make a move to get out, but stay in. Finally the back away from the door, it shuts and we are off.  I get off on the 10th floor and as I walk away I can hear them making nasty comments about me, cause I actually wanted to use the elevator.

I find most casual travelers, particularly the young ones (you know, anyone under 40), are any longer often the most selfish, inconsiderate, entitlement-driven individuals I have the misfortune to encounter. When someone's just uneducated as to protocol, I have a large amount of grace and patience, but fools I do not suffer lightly. Next time I see a couple not only allowing, but actively encouraging Junior to push every button on the elevator, I'm breaking out the Taser.

Parents were no where to be seen!

Adolescent kids running all over the place.

Now days on the cruise ships they make an announcement that all kids must be accompanied by adults, and the adults will be held accountable, e.g. to be present, and to control behavior, and that anyone not in compliance will be put off the ship at the next port.

I think the hotels need to do the same.

Frequent travelers should not need to endure out of control kids!

One property on Cape Cod had children running up and down the halls screaming.  I called the front desk and they would send a guard who would talk to them. After the guard left, they would continue on with the same behaviors, and I would call again, and the guard would return.  This went on for a while, and finally the guard got a chair and sat in the hall to maintain quiet.

I don't think I should have to call the guards, nor should the property have to have a person sitting in a hallway to maintain order

They just need to be evicted from the premises.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP,

AMEN on that idea!

That is why we don't cruise anymore.

I was an "Expert on kids, till I had one"!  I love them, but there is no excuse for anyone disturbing your paid stays!

JC,

The cruise lines seem to have as of the last year gotten a handle on this problem.  They make announcements on departure day of the expectations of parents to be with their kids, and controlling them.  They also announce that after 10pm children should not be out and about either.  And they establish consequences.  If parents are asked repeatedly to meet these expectations, they will be put off at the next port.

From what I can see, the hotels have not step up to this same challenge yet.

Hopefully they will.

Happy New Year!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

John

your stats closely mirror mine, so I can totally relate. I too, just had a glass of wine, but thankfully was sharing it with my wife.  I took this period off and will return to travel on the 2nd of January. 

I enjoy your posts, so please keep them coming.  I agree that the group has become something of an extended family and I enjoy visiting with family while on the road.

shoeman

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

jk,

Peaceful solace. Sometimes, it is comfort in a hotel room away from the world. For folks that do not spend an abundance of time in airports, at rental car depots, at hotel front desks..solace in a hotel has no meaning. Other times, we that spend an insane amount of our lives in those hotel rooms, we long for the ordinary life. Either way, taking the time to appreciate what we have brings sanity to this wacky world. I, like the Shoe, understand your plight and celebrate with you tonight from the comfort of my own king bed in my own home. Here's to you friend....as Bob Dylan wrote in Tangled up in Blue..."The only thing I knew how to do Was keep on keepin' on like a bird that flew".. Cheers 

jakegks Member 2 Reviews

Way too much time on the road...sorry, I can't imagine doing what you do.

lk,

Hope they are "Treating you as comfortable as you look at Griffin Gate"! 

Thanks for the photo and report.  Now just enjoy the hospitality of the Bluegrass Commonwealth!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Aw-shucks John, you and the community are certainly part of our extended family . Thanks for participating in the community and of course for your loyalty with over 145+ nights- Happy New Year to you and yours!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

JK,

Enjoy your posts as well, and I return the (well said) sentiment.

Cheers.

Happy New Years John!

I know it seems tough if not impossible when your traveling so much!

But now that I am not, I am really missing the good old days of being on the road!

I think that is what I liked about Marriott.

The consistency made it feel like home, even thought I stayed in so many properties, in so many cities, states and countries!

Still feels like home when I return, no matter where in the world I am.

didjworld Gold 2 Reviews

Happy New Year from Switzerland

I feel like home with the Marriott Family

Thanks to all of you :-)

didjworld,

Happy New Year to you!

It's already the 1st there, and we are close here!

Do you live in Switzerland or just visiting.  Where are you at in Switzerland?

It has to be very pretty this time of the year!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...