4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 3:12 PM by californian RSS

New Here-- Question about achieving Silver Status

cvieira1838 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I signed up to be a member and I have 8 nights stayed this year and it says you need 10 nights to get Silver Status. If I do not stay 2 more nights before Jan 1, 2013, will I need to re-start the process to achieving Silver Status. In addition I have about 13,000 points, will I loose those in January too?

I am not really sure how a lot of this works yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Here-- Question about achieving Silver Status
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

First, you won't lose your points.  Next, if you stay a total of ten nights this year, you'll be recognized as Silver at least for all of next year.  Unless, of course, you achieve a higher level during the course of next year.  I'm not an advocate of credit cards, but if you get the Marriott VISA, that'll get you automatic Silver for each you that you have it.  Plus you'll earn points for charges....and extra points for using it at Mariotts.  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

cv,

Each year stands on it's own as far as Elite status is concerned. If you were to get to Silver (10 nights) before the end of 2012, as Nuhusker said, you'll be given that status for all of 2013. If you don't get to the 10 night level, you would start January with zero and look to build for next year. There is a rollover program for nightly stays, but I believe you only get to rollover nights IN EXCESS of an Elite level. I'll check on that for you....unless someone else knows for certain.

And....Nuhusker is right on the money with your points...you keep them in your account and they continue to build.

One other thing. If you have gotten the bug and are interested in gaining Elte status, there are nice promos that will reward you with free nights and/or additional points for your stays. Normally, Marriott will offer up these "MegaBonus' programs a few times each year. If you decide that you're going to condense your hotel stays to Marriott properties, you'll most likely qualify for these bonuses. There is one that will start in February and run through April.   Good luck in getting your Silver status.

curiousone Platinum

cv:

Unlike nuhusker, I am a big believer in using the credit cards for bennies, as long as you pay them off each month. In addition to automatic Silver with the Marriott Premier card, each $3,000 you spend will result in an elite night credit, the same as spending a night. You also get 1 free night each year (up to Cat 5) when you renew, hich covers the annual fee. The new Marriott Premier cards have the chip imbedded. I am a big Costco user and have always been disappointed that they did not take my Visa, just AmEx. I hated not being compensated for all those $s, so I recently signed up for Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) AmEx card to start getting credit for all my Costco purchases. (Again, pay it off every month or it is not worth it.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...