12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 10:20 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Boston - where to stay?

jose_oliveira Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I Will be staying for a few days in Boston on vacations.

what is the best Marriott to stay with points?

jose

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston/Foxborough, Massachusetts, USA
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Long Wharf
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Copley Place
Boston, Massachusetts, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Common
  • Re: Boston - where to stay?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It depends on what you want to do.  I stayed at the Custom House and really enjoyed it.  It has a subway entrance just outside the door that can take you to the airport, Harvard, the Kennedy Library and other places.  It is in walking distance to many historical buildings.  Boston is a walking city and if you like to walk you would have many choices.  Look at the Map and pick a hotel near what you want to see.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

curiousone Platinum

We also really enjoyed the Custom House. We used the T-rail for all of our transportation for a full week. If Custom House does not take MR points, the Boston Marriott Long Wharf is just down the block from the Custom House. Yes, it is a great walking town. The Italian North End has many great restaurants.

jose_oliveira Platinum

I Read some critics regarding Boston Marriott Long Wharf that made me think that maybe this hotel does not worth the category 8! I read some complaints about the service, the rooms and the lounge.

Instead I am considerintithe Boston Marriott Copley Place.

can you please help me out deciding between these two (or others that take points)?

regards

Jose

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Having stayed at the Copley Place two years ago, I wouldn't recommend it except for its proximity to shopping, museums, etc.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

When selecting a hotel in Boston, consider what your interests are.  There is the Ritz on Boston Commons, with high tea daily, and is the watering hole for the Boston Brahmans who show up on a regular basis for lunch, tea and dinner.  I have stayed here several times and absolutely love the ambiance, service and location, but it is very  formal.  They would not let my brother into the restaurant with his black jeans.  You could barely tell they were jeans, but they were not allowed.

I have also stayed At Marriott Long Wharf when I want to be near the water, and visit the Aquarium and Quincy Market.  There is a hydrofoil transfer from the airport, and dinner dancing evening cruises from the harbor. Its also walking distance to the North End and Little Italy.  If you don't plan on being in your room much, as the rooms are small, and prefer the public areas of the hotel and local sites, this is a very nice place to stay. .

My favorite place on an ongoing basis as it fit into my lifestyle when I lived in New England is Marriott Copley Plaza.  It has easy highway access, indoor parking, and there is the Mall, two large Hotels and the Convention Center all attached so you never have to go outside..  It was very easy to slip into the parking garage and never go out into the Boston traffic and weather.  It is conveniently located to Symphony Hall, the Art Museum, Fenway Park, et, and there are many nice restaurants for Pre/Post show/game/exhibition..  Before & after a performance, game or exhibition we could meet up and enjoy one of the many restaurant offerings. Sometimes I would meet my friends who lived south or west of town, and just browse at the stores in Copley Place Mall which has a Neiman Marcus, Barneys,Tiffany and many designer stores, as well as smaller boutique type establishments). For me this is quintessential Boston.

One of my oldest friends lived south of Boston, and I lived north, so we use to meet at Copley Place.  In addition to the Marriott Restaurants, there is also a Legal Seafood that was one of our favorites, and the Westin Hotel which her husband liked for Sunday brunch.  The Copley Marriott is connected to The Copley Place Mall with many nice stores, and the Westin Hotel as well, and there is a sky bridge across When I lived in New England, this was a favorite place to congregate as it was easily accessible from the highways, and had indoor, attached parking, so there was no hunting for parking spaces, or braving the elements.

Copley Place Mall & Store Directory

http://boston.ettractions.com/copley-place-mall/attractions/8565/

It was also walking distance to many cultural events that we had season's tickets to like Boston Symphony Hall, Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and Fenway Park are near by so its a great starting or ending point for events..

Symphony Hall, Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

The Official Site of The Boston Red Sox | redsox.com: Homepage

The Copley Place location  is an interesting mixture of historic and modern architecture, walking distance to the following sites:

1) Boston Public Library - built in 1895 in the Italian Rennaicance style has architectural tours, and library’s arts treasures, including murals by Edwin Austin Abbey and Puvis de Chavannes, paintings by John Singer Sargent and John Elliott, and sculptures by Louis St. Gaudens. There is also a very nice library Courtyard restaurant

2) Trinity Church of 1877 is considered one of the best buildings in America.

3) Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel built in 1876 use to be the original site of the Museum of Fine Arts, built in 1876 but became the hotel in 1912

4) John Hancock Tower built in 1976 is 60-stories and glass

Great Link for Boston Sightseeing

Boston Historic Sites

Location Brand Hotel
    Boston, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Long Wharf
    Boston, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Copley Place
    Boston, Massachusetts, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Common

I also stayed at Copley Plaza and found it convenient.  It is nice having the mall right there and it is in an interesting area.  The nice thing about Boston, it is a safe place to be.

The question if, what do you plan to do in Boston?  That would help you decide where to stay.

jose_oliveira Platinum

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Have to say that my question arised when I looked at the tripadvisor and at the booking websites and found that the Marriott long wharf is a 3 star hotel and that the Marriott Copley place a 4 star hotel! How could that be true when they are cathegory 8 and 7 respectively!

then I read some reviews that were not so good to the Long Wharf!

the reason of my trip is vacations, but I obviously would like to pick a nice Marriott hotel.

if anyone can please help me solv this dilemma...

THanks very much

jose

Boston has some great historical places and a Freedom Trail to be walked.  These are closer to the Wharf.  It has many great museums and if this is your interest, it would be good to be near a subway stop.  Shopping - Copley place.  Etc.  Do you like to walk?  What time of the year do you intend to go?  Weather might be a factor.

The category assigned is due to the demand which means that more people want to stay at the wharf than Copley Place.

I use Trip Advisor too and have found that the higher ratings tend to go to Hampton Inns, SHS, etc.  It is not often that a FS Marriott it up there.  I have stayed at some FS Marriotts that were not highly rated and found them to be really good.

Regardless of which hotel you choose, you can use any tour service to see the Boston sites. It comes down to after seeing the sites, which are the ones that you will go back to, and it would be handy to have them walking distance? This is how I picked my hotels when I lived in NH and was staying in town for the weekend, or how I pick them now that I no longer live in Boston when I return.

Boston Waterfront

I find the Boston Waterfront very touristy, and I have primarily stayed there when I was with other people visiting from out-of-town, or for conventions. I did enjoy that I can get there using the water taxi service from Logan airport. We use to do the dinner dancing cruises for the 4th of July to see the fireworks without all the crowds. They are very nice, and available year-round. I do enjoy the aquarium and Quincy Market being within walking distance, as well as the North End and Little Italy. Since restaurants close fairly early in Boston, if you are eating after 9 or 10 pm, Little Italy is the best place to find a restaurant still open.

Boston Common

For me Boston Common is center of the original Boston, and is walking distance to the Wang Center for the Performing arts, and Newbury Street Shopping. The Ritz is in the center of it all, and a lovely place to stay though more formal. If you wish to enjoy a piece of history while eating out, try the Omni Parker House restaurant which originate Parker House Rolls. Or try the Union Oyster House which is the oldest restaurant in Boston, and a favorite of President Kennedy's.  They even have a name tag on his favorite booth. You can see where Daniel Webster carved his initials at the bar, and many say it has the best Chowda in town. (remember no one pronounces the 'R' in words, which is the famous Boston accent). Or for authentic German Food try Jacob Wirth which is conveniently located between the Ritz and the Wang Center so great for pre or post theater dining. Chinatown is also walking distance is filled with wonderful, reasonable restaurants.  You can walk up and down the streets, and look at the menu and food in the windows and just pick one that appeals to you.  I have never had a bad meal in any of the restaurants.  There are also some very nice shops to buy imported goods, and lots of the visitors we entertained over the years found all sorts of interesting things.

Citi Performing Arts Center - Wang Theater Tickets - Affordable Citi Performing Arts Center - Wang Theater Tickets Available from JustBuyTickets.com

Omni Parker House - Downtown - Boston, MA

Omni Parker House - Downtown - Boston, MA

Jacob Wirth Restaurant - Chinatown - Boston, MA

Copley-Fenway

Copley-Fenway is the newer area of Boston as it expanded out from Boston Commons.The hotel is located in an amazing complext which is great when the weather is bad which it often is in Boston. Once inside you can enjoy a variety of stores, restaurants, hotels, convention center, etc without ever leaving the complex. It is not as extensive as subterranean Montreal, but the same general concept. Also the buildings are connect with nice skywalk ways with great views.. For entertainment there is Symphony Hall, the art museum and Fenway Park within walking distance, as well as a host of restaurants, many of which are very ethnic, like the famous Elephant Walk that has Cambodian/French cuisine. There use to be a Hungarian, Burmese and Ethiopian restaunts within walking distance but I am not finding online entries for them anymore so they may not be there.Or stick to more traditional Boston fare by eating in Legal Seafoods now located in Copley Plaza complex.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/elephant-walk-boston#query:historic%20restaurant

More Quintessential Boston Restaurants - a little further afield

ttp://www.urbanspoon.com/r/4/53831/restaurant/Back-Bay/Rebeccas-Cafe-Boston

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/4/53279/restaurant/South-Boston/No-Name-Restaurant-Boston

http://local.search.yahoo.com/search?p=durgin+park+restaurant&addr=Boston%2C+MA

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/4/51841/restaurant/Chinatown/Empire-Garden-Boston

curiousone Platinum

Jose:

I find it useful to read property views, but take them cautiously. Unless you have followed a reviewer over time, you never know what kind of a person is writing a review. There are some people out there that are always unhappy, no matter what is done for them.What somebody reports on today may never happen again. I like to think positive and expect that I have the power to make a stay enjoyable if I want it to be enjoyable. It doesn't always work, but more often than not, it does.

I have never been unhappy at any of the Marriott properties I have stayed at in Boston.

Its just a matter of prefence, and also how I tend to spend my time.

I am much more an urban person in that I like to shop, and attend cultural events, regardless of where I am in the world.

In Boston, Copley Plaza puts me right where I want to be, near the Boston Symphony, Art Museum, Gardner Museum, etc.  Its also not that long of a walk over to Wang Center and China town, and there is lots of shopping inbetween.

I really liked the Ritz, but I was always there for business and the expensive account paid for it, or we use to go for tea there, but not stay there.  Its a short walk from Copley there for tea.

Marriott Long Wharf I liked the least as the rooms are really small, but the location is excellent if you want to go to the acquarium, Quincy Market, North End, Little Italy.

gracie0815 Member 17 Reviews

I love Boston in the summer. I've never stayed at a Marriott in Boston, usually stay with friends, but I'm looking forward to trying one if these hotels.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...