9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2008 1:22 PM by locanmures RSS

Silly Rules

consultgp Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently tried to give my son and daughter in-law a 4 night stay in a Marriott hotel using my points.  Oh boy what a hassle.  For some reason you can't do it over the net if the person staying is not the rewards member.

I have no idea why it should make a differance to Marriott Rewards if I am staying in the room or not.

Has anybody else faced what is yet another stupid 'Policy'.  Also I think we should all start highlighting these silly rules for waht they are - Silly and Unnessesary.

So let me know if you have an example 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Silly Rules
    cityslider Gold
    Just a quick counterpoint......I just booked a 3 night stay for my 'rents in St. Pete's this fall. While I agree that it would be nice to have the flexibility to book this type of reward travel online, I don't feel the five-minute call to the Platnium Elite reservations agent to have been a "hassle". In fact, I thought it was kind of nice to be able to call up, speak to a REAL person instead of a recording, and have a quick chat.  She helped me explore options in the area at different brands and reward point levels, and we even chatted a bit about the new Courtyard lobby renevations that are beginning to take place. So, while I do hope that in the future rewards travel for others can be booked online, I hope that doesn't come at the cost of reduced personalized service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

consultgp Platinum

Thast great, you had a 'Nice Chat' - But I think if you want a 'Chat" join a 'Chat Line'.  I just wanted to book a nights stay for my son not start up a remote relationship.

cityslider Gold
    Whoa, pretty condescending post, relax.

You'll note I agreed with you - the capability to book Reward Point stays for others should be provided online - I simply pointed out I hope the addition of such functionality does not mitigate the personal touch that calling the Platnium Elite line currently affords, as many organizations are moving further and further away from HUMAN customer service.

locanmures Silver

Apparently, Marriott is working on the ability to book reservations and order electronic rewards for friends and family members, as per the Marriott Concierge team on FlyerTalk.com:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9367915&postcount=9

puttinwedge Gold
    I agree with both of you.  For locations where you know the place you or someone you know wants to stay, the online option is the best option and they should have that capability.  Also, for locations where you are not so sure where you want to stay (i.e a Renaissance or a Marriott), nothing can replace the human interaction and the staff can be extremely helpful in planning a trip.  I say this with caution however as there are significant differences in the people that you receive on the line there and it is obvious that some people there are much better at their jobs.

consultgp Platinum
    Thanks for your comments and I appologize if I seemed condesending in anyway, it was not meant. I have just had too many instances of unessesary beaurocracy lately. It seems that too many organizations want to give you a reward and then put things in the way of actualy using them - That is not a dig at Marriott because generally theu are very good. Unlike airlines like Delta who make it totyaly impossible to use rewards points. It cant be difficult to amend the systme to make this happen as I said in my original post - why does anybody care who I give my earned rewards points to?

cityslider Gold
    No worries.... unnecessary bureaucracy is certainly something we all can relate to, ha.

I hope that your son and daughter in law enjoy their stay.

It will be interesting to see just how Marriott uses this forums platform to improve their products/services, so I think having this type of community for thought sharing like this is fantastic, and a great first step.

(You make a good point about Delta, I find it much more difficult to redeem reward seats on DL than on SkyTeam partner CO, for example, which I'd generally prefer to fly anyway, but CVG is a stranglehold.. but I digress.)

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
    Hi Cityslider. Like your profile, am glad to see I'm not the only mad Marriott junkie, i just cant stop staying and accruing those Marriott points. If you need any help on hotels in London UK let me know!

locanmures Silver
    As an update to my earlier post, Marriott Concierge posted earlier today on FlyerTalk that members can now "gift" rewards electronically.  Check it out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=873276

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...