15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2014 3:44 PM by vaboywnder RSS

Certificate plus Points Idea

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Most of us earn Category 4 and Category 5 certificates each year and sometimes have difficulties in using them because the hotels we would really like to use them at are in a Higher category.  I have an idea for Marriott Rewards that I think would be a great benefit for its members.  My idea would be to allow members to use points in addition to their certificate when staying at a higher category hotel.  For example a Category 6 hotel requires 30,000 points for a free night and a Category 5 hotel requires 25,000 points.  If someone had a Category 5 certificate and wanted to stay at a Category 6 hotel they should be able to use the Category 5 Certificate and 5,000 points to cover the free night.  What do you think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Certificate plus Points Idea
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I like that.  I have tried to get some hotels to do that but they won't.  I think it would be nice to be able to upgrade by using points or paying.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seattlebb Platinum

Great idea!

curiousone Platinum

It is an option that I would like to use!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Super idea.

Another option might be to get 20,000 points (Cat 4) or 25,000 points (Cat 5) rather than a certificate for a certain category.

Your idea is probably the optimum but the least likely.  The promotions are something like this; for 2 stays, get a cat 4 cert. but it would take 25 nts for 40,000.

Just maybe the other ideas of an upgrade might be more likely.

deltastrat Gold 23 Reviews

It is a great idea. Something that Marriott needs to consider. The program is great, but it lacks flexibility.

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews

Good idea.  But, I say why restrict it to a certain category in the first place.  The certificates should just include ALL category hotels (with a couple of the standard top property exceptions like the NY Marriott Marquis, etc.), subject to availability.   It seems stupid that I can't use a certificate to stay at the JW Marriott in Chicago (category 7) on a night where they are charging $129 for rooms when they are at 30 or 40% occupancy.

jrhonig Silver 2 Reviews

Totally agree.  Is anyone from Marriott listening?

emarriottgreen Platinum 2 Reviews

Agreed. I don't think they are. I spend 240+ days on the road a year and with other chains offering up to 48,000 points per seven day stay, I think someone at Marriott is asleep at the wheel. I tried to use my certs in Hawaii last December and of course, HI Marriott properties are above cat 4. I made the same offer (to use additional points, or pay add't cash) and got no where. After getting frustrated (and determined that this wouldn't ruin my vacation) I ended up using points from another chain (i'm Platinum/Diamond at a few others) and they were all too happy to have me use them. I like Marriott properties, but others have listened to their guests, made changes, and have them/us booking their rooms more and more. Marriott??

I stayed at the Sheraton on Maui on points.  Upon arrivla, I complained about getting a really bad room and was allowed to upgrade to an oceanfront roon for $125 a night.  The difference in price of a standard room and the OF is $140.  I was pleased.  As far as I know Marriott will not allow us to do this.

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

vaboywnder

I think it is a great idea!

jack613 Silver

i definitely agree.we should be able to use points in addition to the certificate to stay at a nicer property.

walksoftly Gold 4 Reviews

Great Idea!  Marriott should put you on their reward certificates team.  I'd nominate you to be the rewards members' representative.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...