38 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2012 9:42 AM by eb5147 RSS

Happy Holidays Everyone!  Any Special Plans?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

uHappy Holidays Everyone!

Any Special Plans?

I leave tomorrow for Michigan and will be there through Xmas.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Romulus, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Metro Airport Marriott
Newark, New Jersey, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Dearborn, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Happy Holidays Everyone!  Any Special Plans?

p.s. I always like to stay at the airport Marriot's for a more relaxed trip so will stay at the DTW Marriott on arrival, and the EWR Marriot on my return.  Both have great airport pickup services, nice CLs, good breakfast, and nice restaurants to meet folks in or order room service. I also enjoy the christmas decorations as well.  A swim in the pool after arrival gets all the kinks out, a relaxing meal and a good nights sleep, and am re-invigorated to face the next day. Also, I can pick up my rental car, a day later, on a weekend day, and same money on car rental.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sounds like a great Christmas, GemP.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Good to hear from you!

Hope you stayed inside today!

Heard about the 60 car collision on I-5!  Sounded like a lot of ice in the area!

We now have that storm headed our way!

Happy Holidays to your family and you!

Was not aware of that collision.  Our daughter and boyfriend are driving over Donner Pass today.  We hope they are taking it nice and easy.  We will spend Christmas in So. CA. with extended family in a couple of different locations.  That should take us over the top for Gold next year.

pluto,

The accident happened in Siskiyou County, California, must be close to Oregon on I-5!

There was just another major tragic accident reported on Long Island at Shipley, NY.  Over 30 people injured, one deceased, I guess it is time to "Slow down" for the Holidays!

Watch the ice, especially that dreaded "Black ice"!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Myrtle Beach, SC from Dec 23 - 26 and then again Dec 31 - Jan 6.  I got another unit for my son's friends from Columbia, SC, so we'll drive with them to the beach from Cola. on Sunday and they'll go back on the 26th.  I don't know where we'll stay those 5 days, Dec 26 - 31, but we'll come up with something.  I know the CY and FI have vacancies then, but my son doesn't want a hotel. 

eb5147,

That sounds like a wonderful Holiday trip!

Have a safe trip with your family!

Merry Christmas!

You, too, Jerry.

I can't find the questions I asked you, but Boxcar Willie's actor cousin is Tommy Lee Jones.

Ray Hildebrand sang the part of Paul.  He spoke at our high school athletic banquet 2 years, since he was a member of Young Christian Athletes, a basketball player, and a part of a one-hit wonder group.    

eb5147,

Wasn't Tommy Lee Jones, Al Gore's room mate?

I am not sure who Ray Hildebrand is?  I so support Young Christian Athletes!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

This week, Boston (business).  Next week, Lexington, KY (business). The week after next, jury duty.  So I guess that counts as a "no".

PS - I agree on airport properties. Great weekend rates (and I get my free bottle of wine & nuts).

jk,

Have a great trip!  Going to "The Bluegrass State", is always a pleasure!

Will you stay at Griffin Gate Marriott?  Just love that hotel!

Happy Holiday's!

No, I'll be two nights in Berea at the FI, then the last night at the CY nearest the airport. Sometimes I wish I could just get airport properties by the hour considering how few I actually spend in them.

Some properties do offer 1/2 day rates.

Have never done this at airport properties, but have at the NYC hotels when I need to checkout past 4pm, which is the latest they will go on a late checkout on a nonbusy day.

On a busy day its sometimes only 1pm or 2pm.

1/2 d rate is sometimes a good soluton.

GP,

Great information, had no idea this could be done!

Have you done this at any specific Marriott's?

Yes, I did this at the Marriott World Trade Center (no longer there anymore) and the Marriott Marquis as I lived an extended time in both.

GP,

Wasn't that Marriott at TWTC special?

Was that "The Schooner Lounge", that was so interesting (and expensive"), but what a place to stay.  My family was there one week prior to 9/11!

Miss it!

Last week, I was a CY in Cola., SC and asked for late check-out because I needed to go home to do some things and wasn't sure how long it would take.  I was planning staying another night if it took longer than 2 pm.  The desk clerk said that check-out was noon, but she would give me until 1.  After asking for 2 and her saying she would give me until 2, she added than any longer than that would be a 1/2 day charge. 

That's why I like this place; good "oh-by-the-way's".  I just changed my reservation on the 28th to the Griffin Gate.  Thanks for the suggestion!

jk,

I hope it is as good for you as it was for me on my last stay!

To bad you cannot play golf!  If the weather is bad, you can relax a lot there, it is a resort!

Have a wonderful trip and Holiday!

How'd you know I can't golf?  Man, that 85 I shot on the front 9 sure got around quickly. 

jk,

You are doing better than me!

I was referring to the weather being a factor!

Have a great one, now that you have given me a good laugh!

GP,

Have a wonderful trip and Happy Holiday Season!

I too like the Marriott DTW, usually priced right as well.  Have you visited the Dearborn Inn?  It is a very special place to dine, and The Dearborn Market, just up the street is a wonderful place to shop for Deli type items for the Holiday's!

Hope this West Coast weather front does not cause all of us problems!  Will be sitting by the fire at home this holiday season!  Saw enough snow in Bavaria to last me all Winter!

JC,

I remember the Dearborn Inn, prior to it becoming a Marriott.  They use to have a Friday nite seafood buffet, and a very nice Sunday Brunch.  Near by is the Henry Ford Museum (with IMAX and theater), and Greenfield Village, Ford Rouge Plant Factory Tour, Benson Ford Research Center

http://www.thehenryford.org/museum/index.aspx

http://www.thehenryford.org/village/index.aspx

http://www.thehenryford.org/search.aspx

http://www.thehenryford.org/imax/index.aspx

http://www.thehenryford.org/rouge/index.aspx

http://www.thehenryford.org/research/index.aspx

Usually I enjoy food shopping in East Dearborn/Detroit as its the largest Arab population in the US (Framingham, MA is 2nd), with wonderful bakeries, meat markets, restaurants. There is also a new Arab American Museum.

http://www.arabamericanmuseum.org/

Another place I shop is at the market that a college friend of mine owns called Oliver T's.  They also have a great mail order service, so you can buy very nice things at Michigan prices.  Great for xmas shopping.

http://www.oliverts.com/

And I enjoy my Vernor's Gingerale while I am in town.  Don't know if they still have the tours which we enjoyed as kids as there was free ginger ale at the end of the tour.  and I have fond memories of my mom & dad making Ice Cream Sodas, or as my mom called them Sodas, which always meant vernors and vanilla ice cream, beacuse with out the ice cream it was 'pop' till I moved east where its called soda in the mid-Atlantic states, and tonic in New England (with ice cream its a cabinet).

http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/brands/vernors/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors

Location Brand Hotel
      Dearborn, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel

GP,

Wow, that is impressive!  You really know how to live!  I used to stay there a lot, and enjoyed going to The IMAX at Greenfield Village.  Here are a few photo's of my "Holiday Times" in The Dearborn Area and Dearborn Inn:

P1010073.JPG

The Dearborn Inn is really well decorated!  This lady is a "Lady Minister", specializes in Weddings!

P1010068.JPG

The Marriott staff, helps us Celebrate a Holiday meal!  The Dearborn Inn is worth an advance reservation!

P1010065.JPG

A Great time was had by all!  Happy Holiday's to all!

Location Brand Hotel

They also use to do weddings at the Ford Fairlane estate.

I actually just went to look up the tour schedules, but this is now closed to the public for both tours and weddings.

I'm glad you said that Jerry, because quite honestly, I wasn't looking forward to winter in Bavaria (having now endured a number of winter visits thanks to my grandlittle being born in January), and I seem to have dodged that bullet.  Or at least put it off until February.    It's quite cold in central CA today (GP, I saw you roll your eyes.  )

pluto,

I was worried I would be able to get our of the hotel in Garmisch!  However, the roads were fine, and they go after the snow removal 24/7!

IMG_2901.JPG

They brought the car up from the garage, but you really did not want to walk!  Pluto, we need some cold weather here in the MidWest, it was over 50 here today and we have had NO snow!  Merry Christmas!

Jerry, Merry Christmas to you too!

Thanks pluto!

The major accident was caused by ice and at least 60 vehicles involved!  I-5 was closed.

You'll should see Moscow!

No snow removal!

During the day, the top layer starts to melt, but never really gets there, then at night it freezes and its a sheet of ice.

Can't even see where roads and sidewalks are.

After my 1st trip, I started bringing my Gortex hiking boots, with deeply grooved soles, as that was the only thing that would grip on ice and snow.

was actually considering clampons.

I know, I know Pluto!

Its the old east coast, west coast thing!

With cousins on the West Coast, I am always amazed at what they think is cold.

and they of course, and all their friends think I am nuts when I rent a convertible and put the top down in Jan.

Course its the only way I know how to make the merge after getting off the 405n to the 101e and then getting off a left exit onto CA-134.

That left exit comes up quickly and you have to cut across several lanes of traffic.  Use to be if I took a late flite, there was less traffic, but even when I arrive very late, there is now tons of traffic on the 405/101

When I have the mustang convertible with the top down and my hair down, people let me in

But if I am in a hard top, or put my hair up or under a hat, its dodgem cars to get over.

I was quite puzzled about this but my cousins tell me they are yielding to the classic californian icon (long blonde hair in the wind in a convertible)

Only once I am out of the car in the house, do I hear about how crazy I am, and where do I think I am, driving with the top down in the middle of winter (60 degrees)

also all the whining about how cold it is, if there is a cloud in the sky, or a few drops of rain.

Gem,

The 405 is just plain out of control most of the time anymore, and who designs these freeway interchanges anyway?  Someone who enjoys some sort of sadistic glee, if you ask me.  Barring rain, top downing in the winter always works for me.  Just crank up the heater, baby!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We are headed to Washington D. C. by way of New Orleans.  We were looking for a destination that (1) the flight was not over $300, (2) we could get at least 184 Delta Skymiles for , (3) had great public transportation so that we did not need a rental car, (4) would have lots to do even though it was during the holidays, and (5) it had good deals on Marriott hotels.  We love Washington D. C. and have not been since October, 2010.  We like to see/do things that we've done before, as well as trying to do new things that we haven't done before.  We are staying at 3 different Marriott properties to get their best rates--all fairly close together. We are staying at the Marriott at Metro Center, the Renaissance Downtown near the Convention Center, and the Renaissance Mayflower.  I've talked to people at all three hotels about whether their CL will be open or not during the time and each property is handling the CL closures differently. I'm watching the weather carefully and it is changing daily. We've never visited in the winter, so we wouldn't mind a few of those white flakes that float down from above (I think it is called sneaux .)

razor,

Sounds like a great plan!

We are watching the weather here and it looks fine until at least Christmas Eve!

Have a great time, and keep us informed, hopefully with some photo's!

Merry Christmas!

Have a wonderful and hopefully white (per your preference) Christmas in the nation's capital, Razorbackfan.  I confess to being a bit envious!  Enjoy.  I bet you could probably find an outdoor ice rink if you wanted to.

Am envious!

Love WDC!

Unfortunately I can not get the MI family to travel.

One year I actually got them to come to NYC, and we cruised.

I thought they all had a great time, but when I asked about a repeat this year, no one wanted to go.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

rbf -- Our capitol is my absolute favorite place to visit.  I hope you have an enjoyable and fulfilling trip, and a very Merry Christmas. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...