2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2012 9:46 PM by californian RSS

Which Marriott Vacation Club in Kauai?

hrancourt Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We currently have a trip reserved at Waiohai Beach Club for April 13th thru April 19th. A great deal with points for a 2 bedroom condo. How does this compare to Marriott Kauai Resort and Beach Club on Rice Rd? I read some reviews that maybe the beach at Waiohai does not have swimming?? Is this true? I am concerned because there are no clear pics of the beach on the Marriott site for the property. We want this property because of the space we got with a full kitchen (to save money on eating). We heard from friends that it is beautiful and has a food option. However, I am not sure I want us to stay somewhere that does not have a usable beach? That would be stupid to go to Hawaii and do that! I can get a similar deal with Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club, but we have less space and not a full kitchen. I believe it does have a full Murphy bed in the main room (which should be better than a normal sofa bed). However, you get the amenities of a bigger resort and hotel amenities and it clearly states that it has a beach where you can learn surfing. I am not sure whether I should keep my current reservation at Waiohai or switch it to the Kauai Resort and Beach Club. We will be 4 traveling (me, my husband, and 2 12 yr old daughters). Any advice on which is best would be great! Also, any must see activities and eating that 12 year olds will like on Kauai would be great! Looking for any suggestions!

Heather

• Re: Which Marriott Vacation Club in Kauai?
    artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

IN 2010, stayed at Kauai Beach Club and used day pass to Waiohai. The beach at Waiohai is not protected, and is subject to winds andwaves. I don' remember seeing anyone in water. The condos a re beautiful andlike other Marriott Vacation Clubs. The pool area I remember as being somewhat small and not very fancy (Not like a resort would be). There are other hotels and restaurants in walking distance and there is a public beach nearby - Poipu park which has a protective reef in front of it.

Kauai Beach Club is a much larger facility, converted from a hotel (Hilton, Stouffers or ?). The pool are is much bigger and fancier. More on- premises restaurantsranging  from informal to fancy. I don't know the extent of room options there - we had basically a room with a small frig, micro and coffee maker.  We loved the place but it was just the 2 of us (Adults). The beach is just off the ocean and is protected - it's where the cruise ships come in. Good for swimming but I'm thinking it's not not very deep. There may be something at the ocean but not sure

Suggest you call both locations to better understand. .

In general, ocean swimming in HI is limited to where there is a protective reef, is shielded from the wind, or in a man-made lagoon. Otherwise, too much wind and surf. Of course - surfing is great, however!!

On Kauai, visit: Kilauea Lighthouse ( north shore), Waimea Canyon, Kokee PArk and Kalalau lookout (Na Pail coast). Also, boat or helicopter tour around to northwest Na Pali coast is spectacular.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Which Marriott Vacation Club in Kauai?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Both have good points.  The units at Waiohai are nicer and as you said have a full kitchen.  It is walkable to some restaurants.  The resort is on the ocean but the better beach is a short walk.  The beach in front of the resort is a disappearing one depending on the tide.  The pool is small.  This is a timeshare and built as such.  It has a market place that serves some food.  The supermarket nearby is small and has a limited amount of food and smelled bad when I was there so I wondered about sanitation and did not buy anything there.

The Kauai Beach is a converted hotel.  Part of it is still a hotel so you have all the amenities of a Marriott resort.  It has the largest pool on the island *maybe all the islands).  It is right on the beach and has the lagoons to take walks in.  It has several good restaurants on property and others that you can walk to.  This is closer to the Costco (which is about 45 min from Waiohai) for food and gas.  If you plan to stay on property, you don't need a car since they have an airport shuttle that is free.  You can rent a car on property for a day or whatever time period that you want.  If you do this, the price is usually less since you don't have to pay all the airport fees.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...