13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2012 6:46 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Detroit Airport Full Service Marriot - Great Place to Stay

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The Detroit Airport Full Service Marriott is one of my favorite Marriotts.  I generally stay when I arrive in Michigan, and before departure.  There is a very convenient shuttle service between the airport temrinals, both the new and old terminal to the Full Service Marriott and the Coutryard.  The two properties are located next to each other on Flynn Dr. just north of I-94 and the airport, but I generally choose the full service property as they have a very nice Concierge Lounge and Restaurant.  The lounge is open till 10pm on Monday through Friday, and Sunday night.  It is closed all day Saturday, and on Sunday till 5pm but complimentary breakfast coupons are provided to loyalty program members for breakfast in the restaurant.    The food in the restaurant is excellent.  They have the standard Marriott dishes like steaks and salmon, but also some Michigan specialties like potatoe enrcrusted whitefish.

This trip has been especially enjoyable as the property is decorated for Christmas with a very pretty tree in the lobby, and another smaller one in the restaurant.

I arrived early evening and it was very cheery to walk into the lobby and see all the xmas decorations.  When I checkin, reception always recognizes my platinum status, and the fact that I am a returning guest to the property.  After a brief stop at my room on the concierge floor, its off to the lounge for some refreshments.  Not only do they have refreshments, but Sally, the concierge has made arrangements for special items that the regulars in the lounge love.  Last night there was shrimp egg foo young.  When I first looked at it, I wasn't sure what it was, so I asked, and before Sally could respond, the regulars piped up with what it was, how it was made, the texture of the shrimp.  When they ran out, there were chinese chicken wings, and plenty of rice.  Several Asian guests were making it dinner.  Usually this is a great sign that its well prepared Chinese food.

My niece joined me for dinner and we enjoyed our time in the restaurant with a lovely dinner of potatoe encrusted whitefish.  She had the New England Clam Chowder and I had the onion soup which had a very nice crusted of melted cheese that was nicely browned.

For breakfast in the lounge there were scrambled egges, bacon, sausage, hasbrowns, oatmeal and an assortment of pastry, bread and cold cereals as well ss yogurt on ice, chocolate and white milk and yogurt.

It was a very pleasant way to start off the holiday weekend..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Romulus, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Metro Airport Marriott
  • Re: Detroit Airport Full Service Marriot - Great Place to Stay
    gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

GemPrincess

Thanks for taking the time to produce a thorough trip report - nice job.  I too have used it the evening prior to an early flight from Detroit Metro and would recommend the property.  My wife has stayed there more than I have and she has always enjoyed her stays.  Typically, I avoid traveling to the Detroit area as it is sad to see what has happened to a once great city.  It is certainly not the city that I remember.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Well, I have no choices when it comes to Detroit as a destination, as my father and his wife, and my sister and her kids still live there, so I have to go many times a year for everyone's special occassions (graduations, birthdays, etc) and holidays.

Luckily, both my dad and sister live in really nice places.  Since Detroit is so spread out, and my dad lives south, and my sister north, but the hotel is to the west, I find it most relaxing to break journey at the DTW FS property and rest up to enjoy visiiting.  I then drive south to Grosse Ile to visit with my dad and his wife.  Below are some pictures of the Detroit Skyline from the river road on Grosse Ile.  Then I drive north to my sisters place on a golf course.  And we finish up the trip by all meeting to the west of Detroit at a restaurant for family dinner before I head back to the airport.

View from the river road of the Detroit Skyline in the distance.  While its about a 20 minute drive, its more like 10-25 minutes in the boat.  Also included a picture of the original Catholic Chapel on the island on the river road.

DTW Skyliine from GI closer.jpg

DTW Skyline from GI.jpg

GI Original Chapel.jpg

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

This sounds like a great hotel, with an above average CL, and some delicious sounding fish.  Thanks for telling us about it.

Nu,

The CL has has a sign with the, "Meeting Free-Zone" clearly indicated.  It was great to see the CL filled with a lively bunch of regulars having a great time.  This is how I remember Marriott CLs from my heavy travel days.  I am glad to see it still exists, and plan to focus my business on properties that have this ambiance.

In the a.m. there were 2 guys that looked to be having a meeting.  Looked like the regional sales manager meeting with the local guy.  While I was eating breaksfast I could hear them discuss business.  Then the news program had a moment of silence for the CT shootings, and they were quiet for most of it but then went back to talking to business before it ended.  I moved over to the PC, right next to the sign,  so I was facing them and they could see me.  I turned the sign around so they could see it, and the concierge was walking over about then, and suddenly the conversation switched to talking about their families, and holiday plans.  Another 2 fellows joined them, but all 4 stayed on family has the concierge hoovered about.  I had to leave at that point for my dad's so I do not know how it turned out.

Some pictures of Holiday decorations in the Lobby and Pub

DTW Marriott Lobby Evening.jpgDTW Marriott Lobby Day.jpg

DTW Marriott Pub Evening.jpg

DTW Concierge Sign on No Meetings.jpg

Rhapsody is Hungarian restaurant that is a favorite of our family.  Its half way between the airport and my Dad's house which is probably a 10 minute ride from the DTW FS Marriott.

Its has traditioanl Hungarian dishes.  We went last night, and my Dad and I had the Chicken Paprika, my brother the Veal Paprika and my Dad's wife had the Goulash.  They also have the Transylvanian Wedding Board which is a mixed meat grill done Hungarian style.  The Paprikash is done with traditional Hungarian dumplings that look like spaetzl but taste more like a southern dumpling.  They are made on top the stove by taking the dough and grating it across a special grater that looks like a coleslaw grater over a pot of boiling water, and then skimming them off the top of the boiling water.  They are particularly good at absorbing souces ike paprika sauce.  My brother said they remind him of gnoche.

Some pictures below of the restaurant that has very beautiful Hungarian decorations (waitings, embrodered wall hangings, etc).  At the entrance is a traditional hungarian carriage which at christmas is litup with lights.  After entering the restaurant there is a display case on the left by the hostess stand of traditional Hungarian crafts and collectables.

Rhapsody Enterance.JPG

Rhapsody Display Case.JPG

Budapest Danube View - Castle.png

Budapest Danube View - Parliament.png

Hungarian Embroderie Wall Hangings.JPG

Stopped backin at the DTW Airport FS Property on Dec 25th as my niece and some of her friends wanted to stay there.  Got a great xmas rate of $67/nite.  At checkin-in they always acknowledge my status, and that I have stayed at there property before, and upon selecting ammenities in place of points they offered me a bowl of candy canes with notes attached.  The one I drew was for 1,000 points which was added to the standard 500 points.

The room had a fridge in it, as listed in my profile, though the new profiles no longer display this as an opton.  I find it really convenient to be able to keep my drinks cold.

The concierge lounge was not officially open, but the door was accessible by key card, and the fridge was stocked with drinks for guests.

The front desk did provide breakfast coupons for the dining room, and also coupons for appetizers.

This is one of the most welcoming properties in Marriott that I have every stayed at.

If there is a Hall of Fame, I hope they are added to it.

Or if Marriott gives any internal awards or recognition, that this property is recognized for their customer service.

This hotel sounds like one of the most guest-friendly, guest-responsive, I've heard about.  I sure wish my travels would take me to/thru DTW for an overnight.

I wish they would make this property a model for other properties to base their service off ofl.

EWR was also good, the difference being that DTW acknowledge my previous stays at that specific property, and the Candy Canes with bonus points as an XMAS present.

Both properties made sure breakfast and snacks were provided.

DTW choose to close the lounge and provide restaurant coupons, and EWR kept the CL open.  I suspect that EWR has more traffic than DTW on Christmas.

And what a great rate too!

I know!

Usually I get the property for $70-80/nite, but $67 is an all time new low.

The Courtyard charges more, and this is a much nicer property.

I find when I stay with Full Service Marriott's I get the service I have experienced over the years and is what has made me a loyal Marriott customer.

When I get off into the other brands, I am never certain what to expect.

They are sort of quasi-Marriott like, where you get some services, sometimes

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...