30 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 6:29 PM by julie RSS

Courtyard and Renaissance Seattle Downtown

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am planning a 7 day leisure visit to Seattle in May. I have read many great reviews on the Marriott Waterfront, but was wondering if anybody has experience with the Courtyard or Renaissance in downtown? The CY looks appealing because it is so close to a light rail stop.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Seattle, Washington, USA
Seattle, Washington, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Seattle Airport Marriott
Seattle, Washington, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Seattle Hotel
  • Re: Courtyard and Renaissance Seattle Downtown
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I've stayed at Marriott downtown Seattle several times, but also at other locations around the city - Residence Inn, Bellevue (East), Renton, (South) and Bothell area (North); and usually stay at Fairfield Inn (SeaTac Airport) before flying out next morning. While in Seattle, take time to eat (lunch or dinner) at Cutter's Restaurant, on north end of Pike's Street Market, 2001 Western Ave. You can park underneath and take elevator into restaurant. If you have auto you might try the Yarrow Bay Grill at Carillon Point, Kirkland (just north of Bellevue); Anthony's Home Port, Des Moines (south of the airport), and for dinner, Stanley & Seaforth's, overlooking Tacoma (call for directions on how to access off I-5).

Fred

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I've stayed twice at the CY downtown, which was a renovation of the old Alaska Building. My first stay was in a corner suite, which was tremendous, and probably the largest suite I've ever stayed in!  The most recent visit (June 2012) was in a "standard" room, but still spacious enough, comfortable, and felt fairly fresh.  They incorporated the Bistro off the lobby, but given the amount of space, it's quite large, and the bar/lounge area is actually a bit separate from the rest of the Bistro.

Access to things from that location is great, you can walk to the waterfront and ferry terminals, and much of the downtown shopping & dining. It's also just around the corner from the SoundTransit station which includes the light rail to SeaTac. For my "downtown only" trips, I don't need a car at all.

The front desk staff on both stays were exceptional, with service and an attitude that I'd expect at a FS Marriott or Ren.

So yeah, I'd give the CY a definite thumbs up.

seattlebb Platinum

The courtyard is in a GREAT location and a very nice property.  I would definitely recommend it.  The Renaissance is a nice property too but the location is not as good...unless you really enjoy hiking up and down a big hill in the rain. 

ctbill Platinum 11 Reviews

Which one of the two 'downtown' Courtyards?

Many thanks

Many thanks

Many thanks

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ctbill,

I think we are all talking about the Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square.  Also, your post was posted 3 times.  You can delete the extra 2, if you like.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Do to many good things said about the CY, I will be staying there in August.  It takes less points and sounds like it has a more convenient location than the Marriott Waterfront where I stayed last time and is now a Cat 7 while the CY is a cat 5.

curiousone Platinum

Thanks for all the replys. I read so many good things about the Marriott Waterfront and had to make a decision yesterday, so I went with the Waterfront. My wife and I will definitely be checking out the CY and Ren while we are there, for future trips.

The Marriott Waterfront was really nice.  You should enjoy it.  Are you using points or paying?

curiousone Platinum

Using points from a Travel Package.

I assume that you know that you are paying 10,000 additional points per day.  The Waterfront hotel is nice.  Are you either Gold or platinum where you get breakfast and CL?  IF so that makes it more worth it.

curiousone Platinum

Oh, yeh, I know I am paying the extra points. I am Plat, so hopefully I will get something back and feel that it was worth extra points.

I stayed there and was treated very nice.  They have a CL for breakfast and offer nice snacks when open.  They did not offer breakfast on weekends.  It is in a nice location.

I am going back to Seattle and will be staying at the CY due to the recommendations on this site.  NO breakfast but close to train.  I may change to the Waterfront if the catagory returns to 6.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I too have stayed at the Courtyard in Seattle, and that is one of my favorite Courtyards.  Great use of a historic building and in a really good location.  It doesn't feel at all like your standard Courtyard.  I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

curiousone Platinum

Courtyard seems to do some interesting building re-purposing.The Courtyard in downtown San Diego is adaptation of an old bank building. Check out the conference room, complete with safety deposit boxes! I am going to try this one when I go to San Diego in February.

Courtyard San Diego Downtown Amenities

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

curiousone

Thanx for the pic!

Gives new meaning to being 'locked up' in a conference all day!

p.s. I wonder if the WDC Marriott at 9th & F has done the same thing as this use to be the Operations Building for Riggs National Bank which was the largest wholesale and retail bank in WDC when it existed.

I have not been to Seattle recently so have not tried any of the new properties.

Properties I have used multiple times and really enjoyed are the Downtown Marriott, and the Airport Marriott.

One of the highlights of staying at the Airport Marriott is to eat at 13 Coins, which is one of my favorite restaurants in the entire US.

There is also a restaurant in town, but I much prefer the airport property

24 Hour Seattle Dining at 13 Coins Restaurant

Its a cross between a diner and a very upscale restaurant.  The layout is like a diner, but the stools at the counter are very nice comfortable chairs that swivel.  There is a cocktail lounge that when I have been there has had great jazz bands.  They usually have 5-10 different varieties of oysters, and the menu has Sweetbreads with several choices of preparation.  The chefs cook right in front of you if you sit at the counter, which is definately my preference and are more than happy to discussion recipes and cooking techniques.

Location Brand Hotel
    Seattle, Washington, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Seattle Airport Marriott
    Seattle, Washington, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Seattle Hotel
      curiousone Platinum

Thanks for the restaurant reference. I have it on my itinerary.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

curiousone,

Do you like steaks?

If so, and if I had just one meal in Seattle, it would be at The Metropolitan Grill!

For a long time, voted one of the ten best steakhouses in America!

Can't say I've eaten too many steaks - or any beef for that matter - in the Pacific NW. The seafood (especially Dungeoness Crab, Salmon and Halibut)  is so good out there, it's the only meat we eat when traveling from Portland to Vancouver, B.C. If you go to Stanley & Seaforth's (Tacoma), make sure you try the Dungeoness Crab & Artichoke appetizer! If you get to Portland and stay overnight downtown at Marriott near the waterfront, try McCormick & Schmicks - you can walk to the restaurant - and Jake's Famous Crawfish at 401 SW 12 th St. in Portland is a must - BUT you must call for reservations and go early.

Fred

curiousone Platinum

Jerrycoin:

Do I like steaks!?!?!? I love them, especially the ones with a lot of fat, like the ribeye. As I get older I am trying to learn to like other things, so hopefully, I will avoid a coronary. If I get tired of things from the ocean on this trip I will look up the Met, which seems to be within walking distance of the JW.

curiousone,

Have a great steak!

Let us know how you like it, and please check out The Waterfront Marriott!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

The CY Houston Downtown is the old Humble Oil Building, the CY Columbus (OH) Downtown is the old city jail.  Always fun to stay at one of these repurposed properties!

benmiller016.jpgBen Miller Inn, Goderich, Ontario

Captain Whidbey Inn - '09 IMG00399.jpgCaptain Whidby Inn, Whidby Island (North of Seattle)

....and so are the old mills and houses which have been converted into country inns throughout N.A., such as the Ben Miller Inn and Elmhurst Inn (Ontario), and Captain Whidby Inn (Whidby Island, US), as shown in attached photos.

Fred

Fred,

This is wonderful information!

Thanks!

The CY in Houston is really a special property, especially if you are going to the Convention Center!

julie Platinum 60 Reviews

I stayed at the Renaissance Seattle Downtown over the course of 2-3 years, 1 to 2 times per month. They had outstanding service, a great concierge lounge (although there are so many great restaurants, often the lounge was enough for a meal)

The rooms are great and many have a beautiful view of the Sound.

I'd recommend it in a minute and can't wait to go back.

Another tip, probably good for any of the hotels there. If you go to Pike's Place and buy fish, pay to have it packaged in a bag. They will deliver it (for a nominal fee) to your hotel and at least at the Renaissance, they put it in the freezer overnight for me. I just grabbed it when i checked out and took it back on the plane. Clean and easy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...