18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2012 3:42 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Small Italian Cities: Ravenna

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Kharada,

I'm very, very sick right now (apparently with norovirus, almost endemic in the UK right now), but do a google image search on Ravenna.  Alas, the paste didn't work either because I'm sick and out of it, or because I had to delete the main subject title which might have come back as the paste.

Sick being said, I will never ever stay anywhere in London again but the West India Marriott Quay.  More to come when I have overcome this dire (but apparently short-lived) plague -- they are even telling people not to go to hospitals. But happily at that hour the cab fare was a base of 31GBP.

But this hotel is magnificent. Got in around 7am, amazing people, great room with a bed like when Marriotts first got their great beds and great views. Plus I LIKE this part of London and it is part of my future research and teaching.

More to come -- I am still somewhat sick.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Small Italian Cities: Ravenna
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Prof,

I hope you get better soon!  We'll be thinking of you.  It's no fun being sick, but even less fun when you're away from home, and losing time you wanted to enjoy looking around

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Yes indeed, feel better soon!  I look forward with great anticipation (no pressure!) to your musings on Ravenna.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Glad you are safely in the hotel!

Hope you start feeling better, and will look forward to hearing about your London experience!

Get Well Soon!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Ravenna Images

The mosaics are astonishing in both beauty and quantity.  The harbor and beaches look fun too.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hi Prof,

I'm very sorry to hear that!  This situation is rather ironic for me, though, as back in 1999 (on a school trip) we visited Vienna, Paris, and London... We stayed in London the longest (5 days) and just as our BA flight left LHR, I began feeling incredibly ill...  I won't elaborate as it was pretty gross, but let me just say that was one LOOONG flight!  London to Vancouver!  When I made it back to HNL, went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Salmonella Food Poisoning! 

Anyways, hope you feel better soon!  I eagerly await your review and would love to get your assistance on planning my Italy itinerary! 

Thanks, Kharada! Thank GOODNESS it didn't hit till I got off the plane, but wham!  I too won't go into the graphic details, but all I could think was how am I ever going to make it to the hotel?  That's when I did the Paddington Express and cab ride the rest of the way and was never so thankful in my life I could get into my hotel right away.  I'm pretty sure it's not food poisoning because I've had that before.  This is definitely intestinal and seems to fit what norovirus is like.  I am SLIGHTLY better today, but not enough to go out or eat (at least yet).

Fortunately, even when it isn't serving, the CL here at West India Quay is accessible by card key at all times, so I can get soda or snacks.  Even weekends, though they don't do breakfasts or hors d'oeuvres then (but you are comped with breakfast in the restaurant (I hope I can eat by tomorrow morning!) and you can get into the lounge on your own.

If there is a bright side it is that the weather is pretty bad, so I'm not missing as much as I ordinarily would.  And then Sunday I come home...

ProfChiara

sg1974 Gold

I saw this article in the paper this morning:

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/13/vomiting-bug-norovirus-likely-to-strike-750000-victims-3316284/

Hope you feel better soon.

Hi SG,

They've been talking about it on the BBC and SkyNews, so I think that's it -- especially coming on so suddenly and starting to get better nearly as quickly. I've never had that before, and I DID get my annual flu shot a couple of months ago.

The sun is coming out now, around 4pm, so at least I may have tomorrow to hang about Whitechapel and Spitalfields if I seem ok. (If not, I will be running in and out of pubs!).

Cheers, ProfC

sg1974 Gold

ProfC,

Yes tomorrow is looking better http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743?day=1

Enjoy having a look around the East End.

SG

Thanks, all!  A bit of a setback last night, but not too bad this morning, and this hotel is fabulous as is what I saw briefly of Canary Wharf yesterday.

Fortunately I know the East End well, so I can do what I need to for photos fairly expeditiously. I am writing a new book on the History of Fear from Antiquity through 1900, based on a research seminar I teach, and the fear surrounding life in the East End at the time of the Whitechapel Murders is one chapter.  (Others include such delights as plague, the Terror, the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, The Inquisition, Jews accused of blood libel and ritual murder, monsters in the ancient world, and vampires and burial in Eastern Europe.  I was going to do my Avignon book next but my students really inspired me this term.

While on previous trips to the East End, I've done JtR tours, some good some not, but also visited several of the sites related to the murders/investigation myself.  (And I belong to the Whitechapel 1888 Society ), which is a philanthropic organization.

Cheers, ProfChiara

Professor,

Sounds like you are feeling and doing better!

Good luck with the new book, and cannot get enough of the JtR theories!

Glad the hotel is working out as well, it sounds fabulous.

Hope you continue to "Get Well Soon"!

Hi Jerry,

I just got done from three hours in the East End. I'm glad I had been before because it is gentifying so fast, with many of the Victorian buildings that didn't survive the blitz now disappearing.  Fortunately I knew most of the routes well and since the sun was out got some more good photos. I even got the manager of the Ten Bells to let me lean my camera in before opening time to take a couple of photos.  As for the identity of Jack, I think it's 51% some anonymous person we've never heard of and never will and 49% Aaron Kosminski.  My students (before they take the class) are a little horrified at the library of Ripper books I have. But what most interests me is not who, but how fear affected not only the East End but the West End and changed everyone's lives.

This hotel is fabulous (more later) and I will never stay anywhere else again while in London.  I'm going to try to get some lunch now...

Cheers, ProfC

Professor,

Enjoy your lunch!

Sounds like your time is rapidly getting better!

I think JtR, was the fellow that eventually came to America, and committed crimes in NYC.  Don't remember names, (It's TOO early to think here!).

The hotel really sounds wonderful, and I can't recall any negative comments on the hotel.  Was going to stay there once to see the Moody Blues across the Thames at the "O".  It is a short walk but decided to see "Phantom" instead!

Will you be able to, or have a desire to go on a Thames River trek?  From there the Greenwich trip is most interesting!

Have a great day, and continue to let us know how things are going.  Hope you get a chance to say hello to Chrisf, or any other MRI!

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I am definitely on the mend (and still have about 4 more 5-year-old pills found in my suitcase ).  I took some exterior and interior pics of the hotel but will write a full commentary when home (tomorrow or the day after). It has ALL the things we've been asking for and more, including a great staff, and being out of the way.  Since I'm not a huge fan of anything west of the British Museum or City, this feels comfy to me.  The room is fabulous, and the lounge is what we've always asked for.

I've been to Greenwich twice and love it -- but not on this trip.  Although I never get seasick I don't want to push anything.  Plus driblets of rain have started again.  I just need to pack now (I leave for Heathrow at 5:45am tomorrow Greenwich time).  But at least I possibly got some of the last photos of 1880s London at the rate things are progressing (even books I have with photos from 2007 and 2009 are way out of date, sadly).  There's one gruesome plus to it, but I will wait till I am healthy to reveal it.

ProfChiara

PS -- Great shopping (including Canada Mall, Cabot Place, and Canada Wharf) and restaurants all around here.

Professor,

Great report!

I do not know that area of London, but isn't the "Oldest Pub" in London near your hotel?  Chrisf, gave me a wonderful "Pub Guide of London", so I will have to look it up!  I think is is just down the Thames!

Always wanted to go to the famous "Market" near you, and maybe I can go next May.

BTW, try to get into the Delta Lounge at Heathrow, it is really nice and they serve a complete breakfast for you early morning flight!  Am hopeful that this Delta/Virgin Atlantic alliance will be good for upcoming London trips!

Have a great day!

Hi Jerry,

Canada Mall is one of the biggest malls (right across the canal from the hotel), but I'm not sure Oldest Pub.  The Docklands area is really, really old, but most of the buildings seem new -- and financial.

I definitely plan on the Skyteam Lounge (I get it free with my Delta Reserve card) and have always found the European versions so much better than US ones.  My flight is 9:30, but since it's Heathrow I'm leaving the hotel at 5:45 (hopefully with it being a Sunday I should get there in plenty of time for a mimosa ).

I just had a brief tea time before tonights hors d'oeuvres (my dinner) in the lounge and have pics of me with Fanny and Carmen.  The concierge here is also fantastic.  Again, I'll give a full description when home, but this is definitely it except for people coming for the first or only time to London.  It feels much more like 'real' London to me.  And the DLR stop is practically part of the hotel.

Cheers, ProfC

Professor,

Glad you are doing better!

That's going to be a long day Sunday!

You shouldn't have any problem making to Heathrow in time for a Mimosa.

Have a great flight and we will all await you post on the wonderful hotel experience!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Prof,

That has got to be the worst!  Transiting with intestinal problems is just the most unpleasant thing to do in my opinion!  Especially in a foreign country... But, that is true!  At least the weather is not good...  I think I'd be more bummed if the weather was excellent!  At any rate, I hope you get better soon and have at least some time to get out and about! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...