80 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2013 7:33 PM by GemPrincess RSS

CDG to EuroDisney!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Kharada46,

There are a host of ways to get from CDG to Paris or EuroDisney, but you may want to consider The TVG!

At a speed of near 200 MPH, you can go from CDG to EuroDisney in 12 MINUTES!  The prices start at 15 Euros.  After a long flight, and the potential problems at CDG, The

TVG may be the way to go! (You can Google RER Paris, and get all the information!)

You can always just take The RER, but you will have to change trains at Les Halles.

Since your time is so limited, The TVG would be a wonderful experience.  It is coming from London or Brussels!

IMG_0548.JPG

Here's a photo I took at the Eurostar Board at EuroDisney

IMG_0549.JPG

You will find directions easy, once you get to the EuroDisney Station!

IMG_0550.JPG

The grounds outside the station are clean and that EuroDisney a short walk away!

IMG_0551.JPG

The atmosphere is "Festive"!  Book your arrangements early!

IMG_0552.JPG

If you are "Crazy" you might rent a car at the station and drive to Paris!  My suggestion "Don't!"

IMG_0553.JPG

This is the RER train you will want to take from EuroDisney to La Defense, it is clean, effective, and if you may want to get your RER pass here, and that way you won't have to pay for The RER while you are enjoying Disney!

IMG_0554.JPG

Sit back and enjoy the roughly one hour ride on the RER from EuroDisney to La Defense!

Hope this helps!

Will have the information for La Defense to Versailles for you shortly!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: CDG to EuroDisney!
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Thanks for the great tip Jerry!  TGV it is from CDG to Disney!! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kh,

That should be 12 minutes of bliss!

Make sure you go to the web site and get the departure location from CDG, as well as times! 

Think about getting your RER tickets at EuroDisney and saving the two days charges for the RER tickets!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Yes, I did not know about this option.  It looks like a great option.  My next trip to France will start off at Bailly (no Paris), so this is good to know.  Excellent info and thanks, Jerry.

Kharada,

http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/trains_Paris_CDG_Airport_Train_Station_to_Marne_la_Vallee_Chessy_Train_Station_16_113.aspx

I would not use raileurope.com to pre purchase your ticket from CDG to Marne la-Vallee.  Rail Europe overcharges U.S. customers.  Just purchase your ticket at the train station at CDG (terminal 2 - just follow the signs).  Wait in the line and tell the clerk you want two one way tickets to Marne la-Vallee or Paris Disneyland.  They will understand, and tell you the price in English.

Does your Disney hotel offer shuttle service to/from the hotel and train station at Disney?  If so, then perhaps you won't need the 5 day zone 1-5 Paris visite pass.  You could just train one way from CDG to Disney (Marne la-Vallee), then when it's time to travel to La Defense, you could just purchase a one time one way ticket on RER A from Paris Disney (Marne la-Vallee) to La Defense (about an hour as Jerry mentioned), then when in Paris, just purchase a two or three day zone 1-3 Paris visite pass, which will save some money.

If I remember correctly, the tarif from La Defense to Versailles Rive Droite is only 2.35€ each way on the RER L train, and about a 40 minute ride.  Once in Versailles, the walk to the Chateau is less than a mile.  Here's a link with a map: If you are training in from central Paris, instead of RER L to Rive Droite, you may opt to take the RER C to Versailles - Rive Gauche, which is a tad closer to the chateau. On this map, Rive Gauche is located down by the label 'Versailles.'

The walk from RER L station (Rive Droite) in Versailles is much farther to the Chateau than the walk from the RER C station (Rive Gauche) in Versailles.  But if you take the RER C, the train ride will be a little longer, as you will have to take the Metro line 1 (not the red RER A) from La Defense to Port Maillot stop, then transfer to yellow RER C.

When I stayed at the Renaissance La Defense, Kumar, our Concierge advised us to take the shorter train ride from La Defense to Versailles, the RER L.  It was a good tip as far as the train ride went, but it was a longer walk to the Chateau once we arrived in the town of Versailles.  So you'll have to decide.  Here are a couple of websites that will serve you well.

http://www.transilien.com/

Plan Interactif des transports en Ile-de-France

And Kumar was fantastic, by the way.  The best.  Ask if he's on duty when you arrive.  He will take magnificent care of you.  If your fiancee likes to shop, then you must go to Le Quatre Temps, the vast shopping mall at La Defense, and of course the Champs-Elysees.

Read this blog on Train Travel in Europe.  It will save you some money and stress.  Train Travel and Public Transportation in Europe

You will probably catch the train to Italy at Gare de Lyon.  Do take a look at this post for purchasing your train tickets.

Keep the questions coming, kharada.

pluto77,

Wow!

What a load of great information, and thank-you for a lot of work to help all of us.

I am sitting here in a hotel, watching the Marriott show on CNBC, pretty interesting.  It really makes you wonder what to pay for these rooms.  It was stated that the best time to book a room, at the best rate, is SUNDAY Night!

There is some good news for PLATINUM, which should make all of platinum members feel special!

Pluto, once again, you provide some wonderful, detailed information!  "Soak it up KH"!  This would be expensive advice from most sources.

jerrycoin,

I have yet to watch the show!  Got it DVRed, but now need to find time to watch

But yes, everyone on MRI is so helpful!  I am forever grateful for all the invaluable information everyone provides! 

kh,

Can't imagine your hotel being very far from the EuroDisney train station.

You may want to go to their website or call your Disney contact here in the states to find out!

Walt Disney was from Missouri, BTY!

jerry,

very true.  will do! 

That's an interesting fact, I didn't know that!  Thought he was from California. 

KH,

Excuse me, for a "Senior moment'!

Walt Disney was NOT from Missouri, I always thought he was, but his bio says he was born 12/5/01 in Hermosa, Chicago, Il!

I am not sure where that is, but I was really wrong!  Sorry

KH,

Good news for me, I am "Not losing my mind"!

Walt spent most of his childhood in Marceline, Mo!  I knew I had been by there going from St. Joseph to Hannibal!

There is a museum there for him.

What a prophet, and great guy!

Jerry,

Really?  That's interesting!  Add that to a must see in MO! 

KH,

Europe will be way more exciting than Missouri!

Hope you have a great trip!

Perhaps you're right, Jerry, but I hope to experience the charm of Missouri (eastern) someday.  I made some visits to western Missouri when I was a kid, as that's where my dad grew up (on a farm near Eldorado Springs; very rural).  I remember charming little towns, green countryside, horses, barns, humidity, farm cooking, gentle people and antique stores.  Permit me this indulgence.  One year while in high school, we took a "red eye" to Missouri for a family visit.  I injured my knee in sports, so was in pain and on crutches.  My brother broke his leg skateboarding and so also happened to be on crutches at the same time.  My little sister was only 5 or 6 years old (and fine, nothing broken!), but while in Missouri we found a child sized pair of crutches at an "antique" store.  We joked about buying them so that my sister could "wear" the crutches, and then we'd let all the world wonder about this strange family from California who's kids were all hobbling around on crutches.  Good times.

pluto77,

Thanks for sharing the story with us!

That sounds like a "Steinbeck" story! 

Eldorado Springs is a place I have visited quite a bit, and is not far from Nevada, MO., as well as Lamar (The Birthplace of Harry S. Truman).

Wonderful country, and will get some pictures on my next visit there!

Please keep your colorful posts coming!

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

Hermosa is a "neighborhood". And of course, Chicago, IL is self-explanatory.

pluto77,

Thank you!  That is excellent information!  Not sure about a shuttle from the train station to the hotel.  I assumed the train station was fairly close to Disneyland and its associated hotels? 

But, I'll keep that in mind!  I'd rather have a longer train ride and walk a short distance rather than the alternative! 

Thanks again for your always awesome advice! 

Kh,

In my experience (have never bought, but have "shopped"), it's cheaper to get designer name brand items (ie. Prada handbag) in the States than it is in Europe, the reason being that the prices are in euros, which amounts to more expense.  Unless one just wants the bragging rights to be able to say they got their bag in Paris, Rome, etc.    But it is a lot of fun to "shop" in the stores in the big European cities.

Pluto,

So true!

With a VAT Tax of 19% in Germany, buy it in the US!

Even Canadians drive from Niagara Falls to Erie, PA, to buy at their Outlet Mall Stores, "No Tax"!

Enjoy the shopping in the US, and as you say "Window shop" elsewhere!

Thanks Pluto!  Not only will you save my sister money, but you save me the hassle of lugging the back back (and worrying about what TSA will do to it). 

Happy New Year Jerrycoin! 

I hope you've had a wonderful holiday season and will have a year full of great Marriott travel this year! 

It appears that when I finally booked our trip, our plans had to change.  American didn't have flights on the days we wanted and are now having to spend 2 additional days in Europe!  So, rather than spending our first few days in Disney Paris, we will be going straight to La Defense.  That being said, what's the best way for us to get to La Defense from CDG? 

From La Defense, we will then be heading to Disney Paris.  1 hour RER if I remember correctly?  From there, we will then proceed on to Italy.  Would you happen to know if we can catch a high-speed train from Disney Paris to Italy? 

Here's where things get tricky, though.  Because of our additional time in Europe, we've been debating adding an additional night on at Disney Paris ( currently 2 nights using Disney Vacation Club points) or adding an additional night on at La Defense (already staying 4 nights, so additional night will be free).  We're also trying to figure out where our 2-nighter destination in Italy should be on the way to Rome.  Bologna or Venice? 

I'd love to get your expert opinion on my dilemmas! 

Thanks in advanced Jerry!

kh,

Thank-you so much for your kind request!

What you have is an "Opportunity" not a "Problem"!

I would be more inclined to stay at La Defense for the extra nights than Euro-Disney (Unless you want to rent a car and see The Loire Valley or take day trips in Eastern France).  There is so much you can easily do from La Defense, it will amaze you.  First there is so much to do in Paris, that you can do with the nearby RER or Metro.  Secondly, you can take a day trip to Normandy, or even London if you like.  Please let me know on your specific desires and I am sure there are people on this site who will help you.

As far as getting from CDG to La Defense, the least expensive way is to take the RER.  It begins at CDG and there are signs directing you after you get your luggage.  You will need to make one connection and then when you get out at La Defense just go up to ground level and walk toward the left side of the Arch and you will see The Renaissance.

Remember, you have Versailles, Montmartre, and all of Paris, within minutes of your hotel.  Shopping is great right next door, and the value of the property is excellent.  A very nice CL, and the California Restaurant is very accommodating.

Don't forget to buy you RER/Metro pass at CDG for the time you are in the Paris Area, it will save you a lot of money!

Lastly, I have not taken the train from Paris to Rome.  One consideration is taking the Eurostar from Paris to Marsaille, and then taking a train to Rome.  That would be slower, but scenic, along the Med. Coast.  However, there will be trains from Paris directly to Rome.  One word of caution, make sure you go to the train station, where the train leaves from and get your ticket prior to the day of departure.  Do a "Trial run", to make sure you know exactly where you are going to leave from and make sure you have an assigned seat, and use it, or you could be standing on the train for a long time!

Good luck, and let us know about your other questions and concerns!

Jerry,

Thank you for such a quick reply!  And you are right, it is an opportunity!  But it is also a problem because of the extra expenses we will be incurring! 

Per your excellent recommendation, I've decided to extend our La Defense stay by another night.  It costs us nothing anyway!   

Is there a TGV or Eurostar that goes to La Defense area from CDG?  If not, we'll probably take the RER as a 60 Euro taxi fare is way too expensive.  As for going to Rome, I've heard that there's a TGV from Paris to Milan, but I'm guessing I'll need to go to the main terminal for this?  Then we'll need to figure out how to transit from Milan to Bologna and from Bologna to Rome! 

Thanks again for your outstanding assistance!  I'm sure I'll be asking you for more expert advice/opinions in the near future! 

kharada,

I had some difficulties with my reply, so typed it in Word, and will cut and paste to here.  That means that the format below will be all messed up.  Sorry, but if you can struggle through the format, I think I have some good info for you.  Also, I invite ProfChiara and newhiltonmembr to chime in with any expertise on Bologna or Milan.  jerrycoin can check my train info regarding the Eurostar to London.

Cheers,

Pluto

Kharada,

I just typed a lot of info in a reply, and my very annoying laptop just poofed it all away, so am re-doing it in a Word document.  I hope you don’t mind my chiming in… I enjoy engaging in these sort of travel investigations, as I learn from it too.

I went to the tgv-europe website and typed in Marne la-Vallee to Venice, and here’s what I got:

1)There are no non-stop trains from Marne la-Vallee (Paris Disney) to Venice (or anywhere else in Italy) from Marne la-Vallee.  You will have to train to Gare de Lyon in Paris on the RER A (red line) from Marne la-Vallee, which is very easy – just get on at Paris Disney and get off at Gare de Lyon. Then catch the train from Gare de Lyon to Venice, or where ever you wish to go in Italy.

2) I just plugged in a random date (far enough in advance to get a good price, Jan. 25th – you can only book online up to 3 months in advance, I believe).  The price was 109€ ea. for second class, which is plenty comfortable.  This was for Paris to Venice.

3) When booking/paying at tgv-europe online, enter your country of purchase as France, otherwise the website will direct you to Rail Europe, an affiliate that serves North American customers, and it will charge you more.  There is no problem with entering France, as you will print an e-ticket. Nothing will be mailed to you.

4) The advantage of booking online in advance is a much better price, not worrying about a train being sold out, and no waiting in kiosk or ticket agent lines at the train station, unless perhaps you need help with where to go, but there are digital marquees about the train station, just like at an airport, showing destinations, train numbers, times, track numbers, etc.

When I plugged in a day trip on the Eurostar to London, it only gave information from Gare du Nord in Paris to London Saint Pancras.  So it doesn’t appear that you can go to London directly from Paris Disneyland, but have to go from Gare du Nord.  I hope Jerry can correct me on this if needs be.

As far as your destination in Italy, if it were me, I would definitely opt for Venice over Bologna, but this your trip.  Perhaps Profchiara or Newhiltonmember can chime in on the virtues of Bologna (I’ve never been, so what do I know?).  Regardless of where you decide, once you arrive at your initial destination city in Italy, you can go ahead and purchase your tickets at the train station from your destination city to Rome.  That way you already have them in hand when you're ready to depart your destination city.

As far as your travel from CDG to La Defense, simply get on the RER B (blue line) at CDG terminal 2, and take the RER B to Chatelet, then
          at Chatelet, you will follow the signs to the RER A (red line toward La Defense) .   Since CDG is in Zone 5, go ahead and purchase two one way tickets to La Defense (about 9 euros).  Then later at the train station at La Def, you can purchase your 5 day zone 1-3 Paris visite passes, which will probably be your best deal for transportation within the city, but won’t be good for your trip out to Paris Disneyland.

Anyway, just my two cents, or ten.  Happy planning.

Pluto,

That is really great work!

So helpful!  I am really not sure, but thought (And will check), that you could take the Eurostar from London to EuroDisney!

Will let you know.

You directions from CDG to La Defense are really excellent.  A lot of people may not enjoy LaDefense as much as me, but I have found it really enjoyable.  Especially for people who are like an "American" type of hotel. (That is not to degrade any other type of hotel, it is just that it is very comfortable for many "Non-travelers"!

Jerry,

The La Defense does look very nice and I look forward to staying there.  You are right, I do like the fact that it has larger size rooms.  I would have loved to stay at the Marriott CE or the Renaissance Arc de Triumph, but not enough points!   Oh well, maybe sometime in the future  

kh,

You will not be disappointed!

It is a very relaxing property and having been to most of the properties in Paris, just use your pass to get to anyplace you want in Paris.  You will save a lot of points/money for the few minutes extra it will take you to get where you want.

Please look at my previous post on tips for The Louvre, if you are going!

If you have questions, let us MRI know!

jerry,

Thanks!  I sure will!  All the advice you, pluto77, newhitlonmembr, and everyone else on MRI have provided are truly invaluable! 

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Jerry, you are correct.  There is a direct service between London and EuroDisney but there is only one train a day - and not necessarily every day.  A train leaves London St Pancras at 10:14am and there is a train back from EuroDisney at 18:06pm ... as far as I am aware, these are the only 'direct' trains ... the journey takes about 2 hour 45 mins.  Otherwise, it would require changing trains.  Kharada ... I haven't read through all of the postings on this but, if you are after a day visit to London, it doesn't look possible on a 'direct' service unless you take an overnight stay in London.

chrisf,

Thanks again for clearing this up!

I think the train from London stops at CDG!  If not it may be the Eurostar from Brussels1

Thanks again, and have a great upcoming trip!

Thanks chrisf

Do you have any experience traveling Italy from France?  We'll be departing from Disneyland Paris, and pluto77 had suggested we take the RER to Gare de Lyon and then hop on a train to Italy.  However, I believe TGV goes only as far as Torino and Milan correct?  Our first destination in Italy will be Bologna (at the moment anyway, still debating between there, Torino, Tuscany, and Venice, though price is a limiting factor and would like to remain in Marriott properties).  From there we'll be going to Rome. 

Thanks!

kharada,

You can purchase a ticket from Gare de Lyon all the way to Bologna.  You will have to change trains at either Milan or Torino, possibly even Basel, Switzerland, from a TGV train to an Italian train.  Again, I highly recommend purchasing your tickets in advance.  Italy has some newer high speed trains that have replaced their older train system (thinking of the Frecciarossa).

pluto77,

I looked into doing the purchase online and will have to play with it a little, but I think I can get it.  I'm actually considering changing our first destination from Bologna to Torino, as the AC Bologna is a good 35 minute walk from town and I've heard that the property isn't so good...  The only reason I wanted to go to Bologna is because it is where a lot of the good stuff comes from in Italian cuisine! 

Hi K46 ... sorry, I have very limited experience of any train travel in Europe apart from Eurostar to Paris or Brussels.  However, it looks like pluto has already given you a good answer.  I am paying close attention to all of these postings on Europe ... we haven't done enough travelling around the mainland and need to get some new locations under our belt.  All the mentions of Italy have really got me thinking that a trip to Tuscany later in the year would be a great idea!

Hi Chrisf,

That's quite alright.  I've only been to Europe once before, and that was 14 years ago!  I sure hope it won't be as long till I go again

You have the excuse of living half-a-world away K46 ... I only live across the Channel!

That's ok chrisf, I haven't been to the other islands in a super long time.  The most recent one was a day trip to Kauai for work, so it wasn't like I could do anything.  But I haven't even seen all of our islands.  The two left are Molokai and Lanai!  Sadly, none have Marriott properties.  Molokai doesn't even have a real hotel, while Lanai is all Four Seasons.  The Hilo side of the Big Island of Hawaii (where the Kilauea Volcano is located) also has no Marriott, with the only options being poor quality hotels. 

At any rate, I haven't explored my home state as much as I'd like or should!  So don't feel bad that you haven't explored the much large Europe a whole lot!! 

Hi Pluto77,

By all means, chime in!  The more the merrier

I really hate it when that happens, though my problem is that I normally take too long to finish what I'm typing and I get logged out and lose everything. 

Anyhow, thank you very much for the excellent research!  Looks like our transit from France to Italy will take a little longer than I thought!  As for our first destination in Italy, I'm really open to anything, though I'd prefer to stay at a lower cost Marriott property.  I was thinking of just staying in Milan, but the hotel way too expensive!  I currently have 2 nights booked at the AC in Bologna, but found out the property is a 35 minute walk from town and is on the opposite side of the train tracks from pretty much everything you'd want to see and do in Bologna!  Venice would be wonderful too, but the Boscolo is the only Marriott within Venice and is very expensive as well.  There's a nice looking CY by the airport, but others have said that statements of a free shuttle into Venice are not true and that service at this location was particularly bad.  I'm also somewhat concerned about flooding in Venice.  I did also see a beautiful Renaissance in Tuscany, but it appears to be very far from town and offers a free shuttle on weekends only.

This first stop in Italy will be for 2 nights only.  Our final destination is actually going to be Rome, where we have 5 nights on points at the Grand Flora. 

You clearly need to do more vacationing K46 ... but it is much easier when you retire ... I guess that that's a long way off for you!  We did a tour of three of the Hawaiian Islands early last year ... pretty awesome.  We did a week on Oahu and Kauai and a few days on Maui.  Fantastic scenery.

That would be nice!  But I am VERY far away from retirement... Glad you enjoyed Hawaii though! 

&

kh,

You have two train options!

You could take the Eurostar or a regular train from Paris (Or EuroDisney) to Brussels.

You can buy your tickets at either Eurostar train station.  I would recommend buying your tickets at least two days in advance at the station you are departing from.  This way you literally are comfortable about knowing exactly how to get there, as well as how long it takes to get there.  Just a thought!

Lastly, make sure you get an "Assigned seat" and sit in it, for at least a little while.  If the train is overbooked, people will take your seat!

KH, let us know specifics, and we will try to help!

Happy travels!

Hey Kyle,

Can't remember if you're at Euro Disney or La Defense first or not.  If you are training from La Defense, you'll train out of Gare du Nord, otherwise you'll train out of Euro Disney.  Jerry is right get them as soon as you arrive.  The train stations are pretty intuitive, but do allow yourself plenty of time to get there (on the metro if in Paris, and you may need to transfer) and navigate your way to the correct platform.   There is another option, you can purchase online in advance.  It can be a little cheaper, but you don't get the advance benefit for having a feel for the train station.  (But the train station is easy to figure out, so long as you give yourselves plenty of time).  I have done purchased online prior to my trip, and I get sncf emails all the time now (same with trenitalia).  When I'm on a more robust pc, I'll send you more specific info if you provide more specifics.  If I understand your itinerary correctly, I wouldn't get the eurail pass.  I would just get specific tickets for your specific travel days.  I think it would be cheaper.

p.s.  we did a day trip on a tour bus from Paris to Bruge and it was really fun, but a bit pricey; about $100/pp.  The train is almost certainly cheaper and faster.

Pluto,

That Paris to Brugge sounds like a great trip!  Never considered it, but it had to be a lot of fun as well as interesting!

Thanks for sharing the idea!

Thanks jerrycoin & pluto77!

We will be at La Defense at that point and (according to Google Maps anyway) it'll take us about 35 minutes via RER to get to Gare du Nord.  Actually found tickets on Rail Europe for under $200 for the two of us!  It's on Thalys instead of SNCF or Eurostar though... Eurostar kept saying the routing was invalid.  Whether or not I decide to buy online or buy in person, I will make it a point to get to the train station ahead of time to check it out.  I've been there before in 1999, but I'm sure things are different now!

Bruge sounds interesting, but I think Brussels will serve us well though.  Our main objective there is to eat!  My wife has a Belgian waffle obsession!  And I would like to explore their culinary scene a little as well.  I figure the nation's capital might be a decent place if we only have a day?  Hopefully I won't be taking away from meaningful time in Paris though...

Anyhow, the plan right now looks like leaving Paris around 8 or 9 (don't want to wake up obscenely early) and return on one of the last trains back.  On that note, a good place for a lunch and a dinner within our time frame would be helpful if you guys have any suggestions

Thanks again you guys! 

kh,

It will not take 35 minutes to get from La Defense to Gare du Nord by RER.  Double check those times. (I will do the same)! 

The main thing is get your rail pass and do a "Recon" run!  It can be a little confusing at La Defense (The first time).  BTW, there are a lot of places to shop/dine in the La Defense train station.  If you have a "Rainy day", that is the day to explore the trip and the station.  KH, again, take caution in train stations as there are many pickpockets, scammers, etc. who will know you are a tourist.  Don't exchange any money there, and make sure you have your passports and valuables secured on you.

While I have been to Brussels, I don't know of a place to dine that I can recommend.  I will recommend taking your own food, snacks and beverages on the train, it will save you a lot of money.  Try shopping at Au Chon in the shopping plaza next to the hotel.  It is a good experience, but very busy!

KH, please keep the questions coming!

Jerry,

Google Maps has a tendency to be wrong!  But as long as they err on the long side, that's ok by me.  Rather be early than late!  But yes, definitely need to do a recon run.  Perhaps that will be what we do on arrival day if not too tired to familiarize ourselves with the area.  Never been to La Defense and it's been so long since I've been to Paris anyway that even if nothing changed, I wouldn't remember where I'm going anyway haha.

But yup, all of Europe I hear has terrible pickpocket and scamming problems.  Especially in Italy!  Will be very careful.  What's your favorite security device?  Was probably just gonna get an under clothing security wallet. 

sg1974 Gold

We stayed at La Defense a few weeks ago and traveled from Gare Du Nord to the hotel.

They have good instructions on the hotel website: http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotelwebsites/us/p/parld/parld_pdfs/From%20and%20To%20the%20Renaissance%20Paris%20La%20Defense%20Hotel.pdf

access to hotel: http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotelwebsites/us/p/parld/parld_pdfs/Access%20Map%20uk.pdf

it was longer than the 21 minutes they claim as there is a bit of walking and stairs between the platforms.

Renaissance La Defense 013.jpg

Renaissance La Defense 005.jpg

Thanks for the excellent info sg1974!!

Very nice photos, Sg.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Kharada, on our trip to Europe this summer my husband and I both wore the under clothing security wallets.  He also had a belt with a zippered pocket and that was a good place to keep extra cash.  It wouldn't hold much else.  I also got a Pac-Safe purse that had a RFID pocket to protect passports, credit cards, etc.  It is also resistant to cutting (as in shoulder straps so a thief can't grab it off your shoulder).  Even while we were in St. Peter's, a security officer told our guide to warn us about pickpockets.  It's wise to find out what scams are common in the areas you are visiting so that you can be more aware of them and avoid putting yourself in those situations.

My husband had his pocket picked 3 years ago by a 10-year old who was apparently working with a gang in the train station in Brussels.  He had a "dummy" wallet in his back pocket and his real wallet in the side pocket in his cargo shorts.  There was a commotion at the door, several people including the little girl got off the train, and his real wallet was gone.  There are huge signs in the train station warning of pickpockets.  When tourists see the signs, they immediately reach for their wallets!  I wonder how many thieves station themselves near the signs!

I always worry about his camera equipment, especially when I saw a video taken by a security camera in St. Petersburg, Russia of a gang stealing an expensive lens off a man's camera.  It was passed off several times before the guy fully realized what had happened.  The thief knew exactly how to remove the lens.  He has great insurance coverage on all the equipment, but it would still be a really unsettling event.

If you take precautions and remain aware of your surroundings, the thieves will probably leave you alone and steal from those who are not paying attention.

Kyle,

Visiting the Belgium capital sounds like great idea.  Thalys is high speed and the journey only 1.5 hours, so that's good.  I found 2 RT 2nd class Thalys tickets for weekday travel in November (no flex, meaning no cancel/refund) on the sncf website for 116€, or about $153.  Is that close to what you were quoted?  It was for a weekday (not weekend) train in November, departing at 10:01am, returning at 20:16pm.  It would definitely cost more if you purchased the day you traveled and you also risk the train being sold out, but as Jerry said, you could head to Paris Nord just after you've arrived Paris and gotten yourselves settled, and purchase your tickets then, to better ensure availability, but again it will cost more than purchasing online in advance.  I have purchased online in advance of a trip, specifically tickets from trenitalia for travel between Venice and Florence, and it has worked out perfectly and cheaply.  It's all about whatever you're comfortable doing.

(Boy, too bad you're not going to Lille or Rennes or Bordeaux or Avignon or Nice.  They're having a sale for travel mid-Sept - mid-Dec, RT from Paris 15€ - 25€.  What a deal!)

Have you read this post? http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/51332#51332  It has some good tips on purchasing your train ticket for travel within Europe, specifically France and Italy.

Yes, and now after thinking about it, though it seemed pricey, we had an excellent English speaking tour guide included in the price, and she did a fantastic job telling us about the city and it's history.  Really added valuable depth to the excursion.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm sure I'm going to upset someone with my comments, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't upset someone from time to time.

I have been to Paris over 100 times. I have been to Euro-Disney, but only once. My advice is: If you are in Paris and want to go to Disney, get on a plane and go to Orlando. Or Tokyo. Or Anaheim. IMHO, Euro-Disney is an insult to the Disney name. When I was there I had to wait a couple of days to go to ED because the staff was on strike complaining about the Disney rule that any employee who comes in touch with the public must bathe or shower before coming to work. Not a joke! They were striking because of that. And it kind of reflected the whole "French Waiter" attitude the staff had toward visitors.

Sorry about that.

Hi John Thai,

I'm full aware of the difference.  However, my wife has a goal of seeing every Disney Park on earth.  Knowing, though, that this park isn't that great, I gave us just two nights there with an early AM departure on the third day.  Didn't want to spend a whole lot of time there, despite being a Disney fan. 

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Understand completely. That's the reason I went there. I had them all until Disney popped the Shanghai and HK parks open. Don't know if I have the energy to fill out the dance card again.

Really?  Awesome!  I hear Hong Kong is pretty... BAD.  They didn't even use real steam trains for Disneyland Railroad... to me that's already a BIG corner cut.  That's a Disney Park signature and a Walt Disney obsession.  Not to mention the park looks so puny.  But Hong Kong is next on the list since I'd like to visit Hong Kong anyway, though I'll need to save miles.  Really want to try Cathay Pacific's first class product, but I burned nearly all my AA miles for this Europe trip and need to re-stock. 

sg1974 Gold

Interesting article on Disneyland Paris today:

Petition is launched against Disney Paris amid claims it is literally falling apart | Mail Online

I would have to agree with some of the points.

There are not enough rides in the studios, it is not a patch on the Hollywood studios in Orlando.

When we were there the Aerosmith roller coaster was out of action for much of the day.

The ride we enjoyed the most there was Crush's Coaster. Be prepared for a long queue though as they don't have fast passes for this ride.

sg,

Thanks for the information!

This will help those planning to go to Euro-Disney!

Kh,

Feel good about a visit to Paris Disneyland.  It's worth a look/see even just once.  We didn't go on any rides, but I did enjoy a stroll through the place just to check it out and had no regrets, and you know better than anyone what your wife will enjoy.

Here's an album you may enjoy:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1083

P.S.  I've never been to Brussels, so can't recommend dining options.  Perhaps razorbackfan, profchiara, GemPrincess, psudad or newhiltonmembr can help.  Also check out these threads.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&q=Brussels

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Great photos, pluto77!!!

Here are some dining recommendations in Brussels:

Les Crustaces - very good!Shrine to the lobster!  Popular w/ locals and tourists, 30 years in same family8 Quai aux Briques, at the Fish Market in Lower City
          La Maison du Cygne - did not have a chance to eat here, but I really wanted to!!!Exquisite (very expensive) intro to Brussels.  Elegant, romantic.  French and Belgian influences w/ chef noted for Belgium beer sauces9 Grand Place
          Aux Armes de Bruxelles - excellent!  Order the mussels!Belgian institution, reliable cuisine and no-nonsense approach to food and customers.  Been in family 80 years.  Famous for Moules, unreservedly recommended13 Rue des Bouchers

I was not thrilled with Brussels but if only for a day it should be fine.  I much preferred Bruge and Ghent a thousand times more than Brussels!

Here are the things on my itinerary for Brussels:

Sites:
          La Grand Placedescribed by some as the most beautiful square in the world
          See it at night!!!!
          Le Cygne (the swan), the butcher's guildhouse where Marx and Engels planned The Communist Manifesto in 1848.  Inside is La Maison du Cygne, a celebrated restaurant
          Gabled facades of the guild houses
          Flower Market all days except Sunday
          Great cafes
          La Maison des Brasserus - brewery museum
          Chaloupe d'Or on Grand Place makes lovely photos of closeups at night (above door at windows and statue of woman)
          Statue of St Michael
          Chocolate museum (this one or one in Bruges?)
          Ilot Sacrepedestrian zone between Grand Place and Stock Exchange.  Dedicated to profane feasting! (see pg 144) - main restaurant quarterfocus is Petite Rue des Bouchers, street of stepped gables and decorated doorways.  Lively restaurants, picturesque street.Chez Leon, Aux Armes de Bruxelles
          Narrow street lined w/ grand mansions over 3 C old, now protected by preservation orderRue du Marche-aux-Herbes
          Eglise Saint Nicolastiny, quaint early Gothic church w/ a colorful history dating to foundation of cityRue au BeurreDaily 10-noon, 2-4pm
          Manequin Pis & museumRue de l'Etuve, south of Town Hall
          Notre Dame de Bon Secours (our lady of succour)built in 1664 in Itailian baroque styleRue des Grands Carmes (off Manequin Pis)
          Notre Dame aux Riches Clairessame period, ornate gables in Flemish Renissance styeNear Notre Dame de Bon Secours (our lady of succour)
          Old PortQuaint, the former port and city fish market, endearing shabby square, breezy, is honme to best seafood restaurants in Brussels (pg 144). Place Sainte Catherine
          St. Jean Baptiste au BeguinageFormer convent, exuberant basilica dedicated to John the Baptist.  Radiates Belgian rococo style with onion domes and rich ornamentationRue du Cypres
          St. Michele et Gudule Cathedralhuge, stunning, relics of St Gudula placed here in 1047
          Behind the choir is Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene built in 1282, very fine stained glass, west window has remarkable depiction of The Last Judgment from 1528, Chapel of Our Lady of Redemption is mid 17th C,
          hillside between Upper and Lower cityDaily 8am - 7pm
          Magrite Museum
          Art Nouveau areas - Ixells and south of Avenue LouiseMusee Horta at 25 Rue Americaine
          Rue defacqz, off Ave Louise to the west, is most charming part of district
          Hoegaarden brewery
          Cantillon breweryLambic, framboise, etc.56, rue GheudeMonday to Friday from 8.30 AM till 5 PM
          Saturday from 10 AM to 5 PM
          Closed on Sundays and public holidays
          An individual visit is possible on any moment of the day. A glass of beer is included in the fee.
          Entrance fee: 5 EUR
          National Basilica of Sacred Heart of Koekelberg5th largest church in the world, elevator (glass) to external gallery w/ fantastic view over Brussels.Parvis de la Basilique 1
          Basiliekvoorplein 1020 Brussels
          9am - 5:15pm
          Entrance at door 6
          4 euro
          Good photo op - 15th c Hotel RavensteinBeautiful spirals and windows, roofRavensteinstraat 1
          Good photo op of cathedral spire and city from Mont des Arts10 rue de Namur
          1000 Brussels
          Lower City (Ville Basse) and Upper City (Ville Haute)Upper City based on Place Royale and Avenue Louise.  The historic Lower City based on the Grand Place.Upper city is short stroll from St. Michele Cathedral
          Upper City (Ville Haute)Royal Palace  - don't know if worth a vist?  Subdued changing of guard at 2pm

Place du Grand-Sablon is the most delightful square in Brussels (from Place Royal take Rue de la Regence), graced by the loveliest High Gothic church in Belgium, Notre Dame des Victories (or Notre Dame du Sablon) is 15th C with spendid stained glass windows, wall paintings in the choir and carved wooden chancel (Mon-Sat 9-5pm, Sun 1-5:30pm)
          Quickest way on foot from Grand Place is via Monts des Arts, a long stairway thru a part, leading to Place Royale for a panoramic view over the Lower City."