5 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 10:49 AM by iahflyr RSS

Renaissance Houston Review

luxinsider Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Early November I stayed at the Renaissance Houston Greenway Plaza for a week and thought it might be nice to give you guys a little feedback.

I arrived at the hotel on a Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2:30 am due to an enormous delay on an inbound flight from Frankfurt. I was checked in really fast and got a regular room on a high floor.

The room itself was OK, refreshed but not entirely renovated, except for the big flaw that it did not have a safe. I really don't understand why business hotels like this one still don't have safes.

I wasn't given breakfast or drink coupons for the weekend nights and the lounge is closed from Friday 11 am to Sunday hors d'oeuvres. I only went to the lounge for breakfast and it is then serviced by two really nice concierges, one of whom sets up and clears tables (even brings fresh squeezed OJ) and one attendant who makes eggs on demand. Apart from the fresh eggs, the spread is ok, but it did not change for the entire week. The lounge is smallish (sized like two regular rooms) and it was heavily crowded between 7 and 8 am each morning. It can get difficult to find seats this early but starting 8:15 am you're almost alone. It seemed to me that there were many regulars at this property, the lounge attendant knowing many patrons by name.

The location suited us well, right in the middle of everything, but then again we had a car. Parking fee was not discounted or waived for this Platinum member.

The valet staff at this property is outsourced and doubles as bellboys and they were all very courteous. Service was friendly as well at the in-house Starbucks. The front desk friendliness depended on who serviced it. Some were really friendly and quick to resolve an issue ("You've got like a gazillion points with Marriott Rewards, of course late check out won't be an issue.") to not interested at all ("Please come back in the morning and we'll look if we can arrange a late check out." - "1 PM is the biggest favor I can do since we are really busy tonight"). As it turned out, the hotel was almost empty on the check out night...

One service problem did arise on the second night as our room was not serviced. I called down and asked for new towels. I told them it wasn't a problem and that it was not necessary to clean my room then, but I was a bit disappointed that the hotel didn't do anything to acknowledge the problem (perhaps by setting up a wine/cheese tray the next night or even something as little as a card).

OK place to stay if you can get it for a decent rate

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Houston Greenway Plaza Hotel
  • Re: Renaissance Houston Review
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Thanks for the 'Insider' review, lux ... I think that I am glad that we have selected a different Houston Marriott ... we won't be there until April next year but I'll publish a comparative review.  (Perhaps I won't be glad that I selected a different hotel ... mmm!?! )

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

luxinsider,

Thanks for the information!

With all of the choices in Houston, this just does not seem like a "Priority" property.  The JW is more expensive, but offers a lot more for it's guests.

Please keep the reviews and information coming!

scotsman Platinum 60 Reviews

Haven't been to this hotel for a year or so but have booked for next month, it has always been one of my favourites so lets hope all goes well.

It would be a nice touch if they waived the parking fees for Platinum Elite members it would show they cared.

Steve Levinson

luxinsider Platinum 1 Reviews

The hotel has apparently left the system and now is a Doubletree by Hilton property.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Interesting discovery luxinsider, I did not know that had taken place.  Thanks for the update.

A Doubletree hmmmm.  Well my wife use to have events which were held a the hotel, it always seemed to be very busy with a friendly staff both at the front desk as well as the catering/ballroom staff.  I found the lounge and restaurant to be kind of an after thought tucked away in strange spots with a wait staff always being occupied doing something other than waiting on their customers.  When we stayed a couple of nights at the hotel five or six years ago they gave is the Presidential Suite, nice and large of course yet nothing much to get excited over.

If I was to stay in that part of town I would move a few miles up the road to the Galleria and take the suggestion of jerrycoin, stay at the JW right across the street from the shopping mega.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...