6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 5:26 PM by jerrycoin RSS

London DLR

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I assume the light speed rail (DLR) Londonsystem in London (.1 km from the Marriott East India Quay) is much like the RER in Paris (generically speaking, even if they're in different places below or above the surface).  I've never actually used it, however.  If I take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, are there connections there?  I'm finding some difficulty finding an up to date map online though I can probably buy a guidebook or map at the airport.

Thanks,

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: London DLR
    sg1974 Gold

ProfChiara,

Best website to plan your journey: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

From Heathrow it suggests the following:

Heathrow Express to Paddington.

At Paddington you then need to follow the signs to the Underground station and the Barkerloo line.

Take the Bakerloo line (Southbound - Elephant & Castle) to Baker Street station.

Then change to Jubilee line (Eastbound - Stratford) to Canary Wharf.

You could either walk from Canary Wharf, where I see on the hotel website it says it is 500m or.

Walk from Canary Wharf underground station to the DLR station and take the DLR one stop to West India Quay.

DLR is a small driveless train system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway

SG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

professor,

Are you sure you really want to put yourself thru this, with luggage?

Could the hotel arrange to have you picked up at Heathrow? 

Hotels there have arranged for me to be "Greeted, and then driven directly to the hotel", after clearing customs.

Good luck, but don't make it too hard on yourself!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

No choice, Jerry -- at 90 GBP no way can I afford a taxi ride.  I travel very, very light, and since I know London pretty well (although not as well as Paris, where I always take the metro or RER), I can manage.  It looks like (I'm at Logan Airport now and bought a guide book since I have the bad habit of leaving them behind in hotel rooms to make my luggage even lighter ) I can do either Paddington then District Line to Tower and then switch to the DLR East India Quay (right next to the hotel) or take the Piccadily tube line and do the same thing.  I'd rather spend the 90 GBP on a great meal!

If I were in one of my 'new countries' (though even Greece doesn't count as that any more after 4 trips) I would go with a cab, but they're usually much less expensive and can be arranged in advance online.

I'll let you know how it goes!
      ProfC

sg1974 Gold

Taxi is an expensive option & depending on the time of day may not even be quicker than the public transport.

easy enough for you to get Piccadilly line to either hammersmith or barons court then change to east bound district line as no steps or escalators involved. Then onto tower hill & from there change to dlr. the heathrow express is an expensive option & won't save you much time over the whole journey.

i often go straight from work to heathrow & always get district then Piccadilly line from embankment.

sg1974,

Thanks so much, you saved me from having to get my "Tube map" out!  (Actually I am traveling and in Washington, Mo, and don't have it with me)!

I sure agree with you on not taking the Heathrow Express, and just taking the regular tube.  That's what I do to get from Heathrow to Westminster Bridge, and it  has been faster than a taxi!

Your, and your fellow GB, MRI are really helping us with invaluable information!  Thanks and please keep it coming!

professor,

Do let us know how it goes!

You getting some great local advice!

Have a great flight.  I am guessing you are on Delta, and the news of that Virgin Atlantic merger could really help us Delta customers to Heathrow in the future!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...