14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 11:49 AM by tryt53 RSS

San Diego La Jolla Marriott, La Jolla, California

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This weekend past we had a most enjoyable a stay at the La Jolla Marriott.  It’s about 14 miles up the road from the San Diego Marriott Marquis, an easy drive and easy to find (less than a half mile from I-5 on La Jolla Village Drive.)

Our flight arrived in San Diego early in the morning, so we stopped at Seaport Village at the Marina for breakfast, strolled through the Marriott Marquis and enjoyed the wonderfully fun Gas Lamp District before heading up to our hotel in La Jolla.  I had contacted the hotel and asked about an early check-in, and was told that though they couldn’t guarantee it, they could probably accommodate us.  When we arrived at about 1pm on a Saturday, we were promptly checked in, given a welcome gift (we are Gold, so I don’t know if they give these out to everyone or what the situation was), as well as a coupon for a full service breakfast buffet in the hotel’s restaurant, 4240.  We stayed on a winter weekend special, $97/night.  Breakfast was not included in the rate, but with the free weekend breakfast coupon, boy, what a deal.  The price for Sunday was $169, and we used our Cat. 1-5 Visa Anniversary certificate for that night, so we really did make out.

free breakfast coupon.jpg

The front desk associate was welcoming and friendly, and explained exactly where our room was.  We did not receive an upgrade, but our room was very nice and plenty spacious for the two of us.  Our housekeeping associate was friendly and did an outstanding job of keeping our room tidy and our stuff picked up and well organized.  I wish I could’ve taken her home with me!

Parking was $20/day or $27/day for valet.  We did self-parking in the attached garage with in and out privileges, and it was very easy.  The lobby is very pretty, as is the dining room, the outdoor front portico reception and the rest of the outside grounds, yet the hotel is undergoing a major renovation that is due to be complete by April 2013.  Except for the parking garage, there was no sign of renovations going on (the floors in progress were blocked off), nor was there any noise.

The wait staff in the restaurant was among the best I’ve ever encountered:  welcoming, friendly, and professional.  The breakfast buffet was very good, and the dining room beautiful.  We ordered room service, and our attendant was equally friendly and engaging.  Our order was delivered in a satisfactory amount of time.  The CL was opened for breakfast on Monday morning (opened back up on Sunday evening at 5pm).  Since we were running late, we only had time to grab a couple of coffees to go, but the lounge looked very nice with a panoramic view of the La Jolla area just south of the University.  The CL offerings looked appetizing as well, and the attendant here was also very helpful, friendly and welcoming.

When we checked out, the front desk personnel handled our gift card payment with ease, and the young man at the valet station gave us great directions to the nearest gas station so we could fill our tank before returning the rental car.

We loved the hotel and loved the location, and if you’ve persevered through this long review, the most important thing that I wish to express about this hotel (and indeed any hotel, in my opinion) is the quality of the staff.  At each turn, the staff at the La Jolla Marriott epitomized what true hospitality is all about.  A special shout out to Abeba, Neli and Oliver in the dining room.  They are just fantastic.  Great job, guys.  See you next year!

To check out this hotel, go to this link:

La Jolla Hotels | San Diego La Jolla CA Hotels | Marriott La Jolla

I also did a blog on the La Jolla area.  If you are interested, check it out here:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/blogs/lorifleenor/2012/12/11/la-jolla-california--the-jewel-city

As a final note, the purpose of our visit was a family milestone birthday.  We dined at 3rd Corner Bistro in Encinitas, CA, which is worth the 12 mile drive north of La Jolla.

Encinitas.jpg

3rd Corner Bistro.jpg

scallop dish.jpg

Great menu, great dishes, great wine shop.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
La Jolla, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Diego Marriott La Jolla
San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
  • Re: San Diego La Jolla Marriott, La Jolla, California
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

pluto:

Nice review and a nice stay! What a bonus with the breakfast coupon indeed! Do they do this weekend breakfast thung as a regular or do you think it was related to the ongoing renovation?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Tef,

I honestly don't believe that the free breakfast coupon was related to their renovation project, as the renovation was addressed in a newsletter, and they we're adamant that the renovations would be "transparent" to guests (which indeed they were).  The sign on the CL stated the hours (closed on Friday 5pm, reopened on Sunday, 5pm).  I believe I asked if the CL would be open for breakfast on Monday morning, and it was at that point in the conversation that he offered us the free breakfast in the restaurant dining room "for Sunday as well."  Therefore, I'm not certain if he offered it in a descretionary fashion, or if it's a standard offering to Plat and Gold guests staying on weekends.  If the first idea were true, I would be merely flattered, however I sincerely hope that the second idea is true.  It is nice to think that there are some properties with a CL in the U.S. that have a standard offer of free breakfast on weekends to Golds and Plats when the CL is closed.  Maybe I'll make a phone call and find out.  If that's the case, maybe we should start a thread of "Marriotts with CL's that provide Plats w/complimentary weekend breakfasts."

On the floor against the wall, there were about two rows (each row about 10 feet long) of gift bags.  Each gift bag contained two bottles of water and a big grab sized bag of chips.  The associate gave us two bags: one for each of us.  Is that a typical platinum gift in the U.S.?  I couldn't say.  Maybe I'll ask about that too.  It would've been wierd to ask at the time.  I didn't want to interrogate them over an unexpected gift! 

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I definitely agree, about the list to identify places that provide complimentary breakfast for platinums!  Very nice review Pluto!!

P.S.  I hope you guys are enjoying your holidays away from home at present!

Scoop.  La Jolla Marriott provides free breakfast on weekends for their Platinum guests.  Awesome!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto77,

Wonderful report and that is really great to know about the breakfast comped on week-ends for Platinum!  Have you noticed the price increases on breakfasts?  I think the price will get worse before getting better!

Thanks again for the report!

Yes, our breakfast bill would've set us back $42.99.  Funny thing is, it was the exact same breakfast (only a dressier set up and service) as was served at the Boise CY, except the Boise CY costs only $8.95.  You think it will get better?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

That is almost a full tank of gas!

Last week in Munich, the breakfast would have been $25 PP, had we not had it free.  That is an expensive way to start the day!

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Great review, Pluto!  We've also stayed here and liked it as well.  Also, it's convenient for visiting UCSD, and there is a Roy's restaurant within walking distance - their Aloha Hour happy hour is excellent!

IE,

Thanks.  We saw Roy's.  Apparently there are a number of them now?  Looks like one in San Diego as well as Fashion Island, if they're the same.  I believe so.  I hope we can try the happy hour next time.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Yes, there are several Roy's in SoCal and elsewhere!  We love them!  The La Jolla and Fashion Island ones are excellent.  Aloha Hour is 4:30 - 6:30, $6 appetizers and specialty cocktails (up from $5 recently).  There's also one at the Marquis in San Diego, but no happy hour there. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

great bargain and very nice, informative review.  way to go, pluto!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I stayed here many years ago, and we had a great time and were treated like royalty!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...