2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 10:17 AM by Jess RSS

Cost rising for timeshare week transfer to points. How often does this happen?

Jess Gold 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello, everyone. My partner and I bought two platinum timeshare weeks at the Boston Custom House earlier this year, and one of the things we liked was the ability to convert them to Marriott Rewards points each year, if we wanted.

When we first got them (around February or March of this year), Marriott charged $119 to convert one week into Rewards points.

I just converted one of next year's weeks, and the charge is now $124. While $5 isn't going to break the bank, I'm concerned about the percentage increase. Does this kind of thing happen every year? If Marriott feels that a percentage like that is okay in this economy, we could get into some big numbers and serious compounding down the road.

If a more experienced Marriott timeshare owner could share their thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

-Jess

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
  • Re: Cost rising for timeshare week transfer to points. How often does this happen?
    curiousone Platinum

Did you buy weeks or points? Marriott stopped selling weeks June 2010. If for some reason you were able to buy weeks I would encourage you to enroll them in the points program. Under the points program you pay a 1 time annual fee for ALL of your transactions within Marriott. Just like everything in this life, the 1 time annual fee does increase.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cost rising for timeshare week transfer to points. How often does this happen?
      Jess Gold 2 Reviews

We bought weeks through Marriott. We looked at the points program, but we decided that the economics of owning the weeks and then either using, trading for Rewards points or trading through II would make the most sense for us.

Regarding the fees, I certainly know things increase in cost, but a 4.2% increase within a single year--and during a stagnant economy--is troubling. Again, it's just $5, but every little bit chips away at value.

With all of that said, thanks for your feedback, curiousone!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...