12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 7:36 PM by californian RSS

Tipping your way to a better stay????

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tipping your way to a better stay????
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi NUHusker,

I have always been a really good tipper, and the advice in the article works.  I do it mostly because I figure maids in particular are usually making minimum wage (even in other countries), but since I was able to and started tipping well, I have gotten treated ever so much better.  I don't know if hotels track (or even have a way of doing so) this, but I know I get great service.  And the more 'important' the hotel, the more you are likely to be treated like royalty.  One stay at the Grand Flora, where I tipped 10 euros a day, I came home each night to a half bottle of red wine and biscotti or fruits every night.

But like I said, I don't do it for that. Although I was never a waitress or maid, I once worked for $1.60 an hour as a secretary so I know how much it can mean, especially for someone who does truly hard work.

Best, ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

PS -- I do know that at least some Marriotts track our stays besides for points/nights.  On my 5th visit to the Athens Ledra, I was given a special gift -- a leather and cloth belt for attaching smaller luggage on top of large suitcases.  I said I only thought it was my fourth visit, but they counted two stays in the same week (a cruise in between).  If any of you have not stayed there, do so.  Along with the Ghent Marriott, it is my favorite in Europe.  And when nasty things happen in Athens it's not near the hotel or the tourist sites (unless you're really into the Greek Parliament).

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Very true.  I've stayed at the CY Waikiki a few of times, and on the last occasion they gave me a discount on the upgrade from a regular room to one-bedroom suite because I had stayed there twice before.  I guess being a local helped too, but still.  I'd like to see what happens this next time around with different elite status. 

taxman415 Platinum

They can code and do track people in two forms: 1) "FOB" - Friends of Benjamin 2) "PITA" - Pain In The A@@... I would prefer to be listed as #1 while everone gets a tip when I stay on property...

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

My ex was a big believer in tipping right up front cause as he said, you want them to take note and take good care of you.

My cousin's wife takes it to a whole new level. She sends flowers and fruit baskets, and always gets upgraded into suites at well known properties like the Plaza when it existed as a hotel.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

nu,

Thanks for sharing! 

This guy and other MRI have some great ideas.  I have also learned you "Reap what you sow"!

I really hate parking in European garages with rental cars.  The garages are extremely small and usually difficult to park.  This trip, the hotel asked if I would like my car parked and brought to me.  I jumped at the offer and gave the guy $5 a time.  It was worth it!

Likewise, I have learned "When breakfast is included", some places will bring me room service at no extra charge.  I go for that as well!  That really saves me a lot of time and trouble in the morning.  That's worth a $5 bill for that service.  It is usually the same person each day and they know exactly what I want every day.  It is nice to have someone pleasant to bring you your breakfast each day!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Interesting article.  Thanks for posting.  I may not always get freebies from tipping, but it sure makes me feel good.  Today on the rental car shuttle, the driver was the happiest, friendliest and most entertaining shuttle driver I've ever seen.  He never touched our luggage (we beat him to the punchline), but I just had to tip him for style.  He was great!

I also had a chat with dining staff who provided excellent service in the hotel restaurant last weekend and asked their name so that I could brag on them to the GM, and they both expressed sincere appreciation and told me that compliments to management really helps them.

Also although we didn't get a room upgrade upon check-in, (which I never expect - lowly gold status), we did get an arrival gift, and - a coupon for free breakfast in the dining room for Sunday morning!  Did we tip the front desk?  You bet.

Last, we ordered drinks brought up to our room.  On the menu, it says that a 20% service charge is added to the bill.  When our order arrived, I asked the server if the 20% was the gratuity, and was told that part of it was and part of it went to the hotel (their cut).  I didn't pursue questioning further, although I  was curious, and just tipped him on top of it.  The service charge (not tax) was over $4, so I just added $3.  Was I right/wrong?  I wondered how the 20% was divvied.   

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Pluto, I agree that tipping makes me feel good.  I usually wish I could tip more, but I do think most people welcome whatever they are given (at least they appear that they do).  If I could afford to "wrap a $20 or $50 around the credit card I hand to the desk agent", I would hope that I could afford to reserve the room that I really want rather than looking for the best deal.  I do not agree with the statements about the mini-bar, movie, or robe.  In my opinion, that is stealing.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Rbf,

I completely agree with all that you've said!

If a room with a view, etc. is a priority for a special occasion, I'd prefer to just pay for it rather than take my chances and be disappointed.  In most cases however, I am just ever so glad to get a deal on a standard room.  Our room in La Jolla was $97/night at a great hotel in a great location.  At that price, and with the free breakfast thrown in, I felt like a real winner, plus it made tipping generously that much more affordable, and the $20/day for parking palatable as well.

vickisocal Platinum

I think it is unfortunate if a front desk agent is upgrading people who tip them rather than Marriott elites who are loyal to the company.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...