24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 2:09 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Washington DC and Miami

jose_oliveira Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I will be staying with my wife next June in washington DC and Miami for 5 and 4 days, respectively.

can you give me some suggestions of those wonderful places we should really visit and are not mentioned in the travel guides?

Thanks

kind regards

José

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Miami, Florida, USA JW Marriott Hotel Beaux Arts Miami
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA JW Marriott Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins
Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center Hotel
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus Airport
  • Re: Washington DC and Miami
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

My favorite places in DC for June (lived there for many years)

1) The gardens around the National Cathedral on Wisconsin at Mass Ave.  I actually lived across the street for several years during college, and use to go over to the gardens to study, cause it was cool, quiet and beautiful.  I also like all the chapels inside when everyone else is gone, and the book store has great books you will not find anywhere else.

2) Great Falls. We use to argue whether we liked the Maryland or Virgina side better, but I definately preferred the Virgina side, cause I liked to stop at Le Auberge Chez Francois which was like a typical French country Inn as there is a set menu. While French Inns have only 1 choice, Le Auberge has a couple different selections.  Also they have set seatings, so there isn't alot of traffic in and out, and the dining room service is more organized.  In the nice weather you can sit outside.  Service is very gracious and the food is excellent.

http://www.laubergechezfrancois.com/

After lunch i liked to stop in Georgetown at Georgetown Park Mall which is an urban mall, so from the outside looks like all the surround architecture, but inside has three levels of interesting stores not found other places to wander through in the heat of the day where it is nice and cool.  WDC can get very hot and muggy from Jun-Aug.

http://www.shopsatgeorgetownpark.com/

I would then probably walk down M street to Le Bistro Francais for a light super like fish soup gratinee and a daily special.  Or maybe just some cafe olait and a freshly made pastry.

http://www.bistrofrancaisdc.com/

This was often my choices for my birthday day celebration.

If you like something a bit more active, stop at Fletchers Boat house, and ride a bike or canoe along the canal

http://www.fletchersboathouse.com/

If you like seafood, head on down to the Maine Ave Fish Market.  If your staying in an RI with a kitchen you can pick up fresh fish and take it back to your room and cook it up, steam up some blueshell crabs, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Avenue_Fish_Market

If you want your seafood already cooked for you, go to the Dancing Crab just down the street from the National Cathedral (walking distance).  Use to be that Monday Night was the New England Clam Bake (with lobster, steamers, corn on the cob and boiled potatoes) along with Monday night football and a ptitcher of beer, Tue and Thur were all you can eat blue shells, and Wed night was all yuo can eat steamers

http://www.thedancingcrab.com/

Go to the library of congress and look a the beautiful architecture, art work, and gutenberg bible. Feel free to use the library as its open to the public, and its a great place to read a difficult to find book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Congress

Check the inside page of the Washington Post to see what Committee, Subcommittee meetings, supreme court sessions are being held and are open to the public.  Attend one that interests you.  Make an appointment to meet your senator and congressman in person in their offices. They will provide you passes to many things you might like to do or attend. Also check for free concerts at the Smithsonian Museums or monuments.  Use to be that there was an afternoon concert on Sundays at the National Portrait Gallery, and the Marine Corp Band played at the Jefferson Monument.

Go to the Air & Space Museum.  Its the only museum I have been to, that when you are looking at an exhibit you are likely to hear someone around you telling a story of how they worked on it, or know someone that worked on it.  Go to the IMAX and see the movies. My all time favorite is, "To Fly". These movie tickets sell out quickly, so pick them up first, than tour the museum.

http://dc.about.com/od/concerts/a/summerconcerts.htm

Go to Kennedy Center, to the cafeteria, for lunch or dinner and sit outside with a view of the potomac.  If something is playing in one of the three theaters that you like, go to a performance.  The National theater is just a few blocks away, and there is also the Folger Shakespearan Theater for theater in the round. Go to Ford's theater for a tour and/or a performance.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/visitor/restaurants/

http://www.nationaltheatre.org/

http://www.fordstheatre.org/

http://www.folger.edu/whatsontype.cfm?wotypeid=2

Go to historic Union Station that has been rennovated and has lots of interesting shops and restaurants.I usually take the train to DC, and enjoy both arrival and departure in the station.  From there I can take the metro anywhere I want to go in DC.

http://www.unionstationdc.com/

Go to the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Alexandria VA, and enjoy downtown Alexandria (now accessible by Metro)

http://www.torpedofactory.org/

http://www.torpedofactory.org/

Attend a concert outdoors at Wolf Trap

http://www.wolftrap.org/

I would probably stay at the Key Bridge Marriott.  It walking distance to Georgetown, Fletchers Boathouse, the National Cathedral.  For driving there is easy access to the parkway (Great Falls), 66 (Wolftrap and Dulles), 110 (DCA, Arlington and Alexandria) Beltway, 95. and there is also a metro station. And fantastic views from the rooms facing south along the Potomac. Or you can look north up the Potomac at the hotel from the kennedy Center Terrace

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center Hotel
      jose_oliveira Platinum

Dear all,

Thanks very much for your kind recommendations.

I will be staying at the Washington JW, do you recommend any special transportation? Will the subway be a good solution?

Kind regards

José

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Jose, we do not plan to rent a car while we are in D.C.  We find the Metro very easy to use. We even take the Metro from the airport to the hotel and back.  Have a great trip.

I always use the metro when in DC, unless I need to go somewhere outside the range of the metro.

Then I check to see if someone will pick me up, or if there will be enough days where I can not ride the metro, or get someone to pick me up that I need a car.

I prefer to walk or take the metro.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I recently stayed in and liked the Marriott Biscayne Bay, and I'd recommend walking out over the causeway (all the way to Miami Beach) - I thought it was quite interesting - I posted some photos here: Miami Beach - a different perspective

As for DC, Gem Princess gave lots of good ideas, and folks have posted previously on some of these topics - see for example, here (and be sure to follow the links for more):DC with kids?  I also recommend checking out:

• all of the monuments, but don't miss Teddy Roosevelt Island, particularly on a sunny day;  and don't skip the newer monuments, including WWII, FDR, and, of course, MLK;
    • go find Albert Einstein (near the State Department, across the street from the Lincoln Memorial) and take a photo on his lap;
    • walk down the Serpentine, and find the island dedicated to the signers of the Declaration of Independence (in, of course, 1976) - gorgeous photo spot with the willow trees;
    • even if you don't eat at the Kennedy Center (and, in addition to the recommendation above, consider the Sunday brunch - the popular KITCHEN BRUNCH), be sure to walk a lap on the rooftop deck of the KenCen;
    • if you're a techie, don't just visit Air & Space on the mall, visit the annex out at Dulles (and see the space shuttle, the Concorde, etc.);
    • try to paddle boats in the tidal basin and enjoy the view of the Jefferson Memorial;
    • and Arlington Cemetery is well worth the stop - if the weather is nice, walk over the memorial bridge from the Lincoln Memorial (see above)....
    • you should always check the Renaissance Mayflower - sometimes you can get really good rates, and the hotel is a classic.  (I live in DC area, but my wife and I have stayed there for nice events, etc.); some folks also recommend JW Marriott as a classic DC experience (and it is one of the most popular DC convention hotels, and the location is fun).... AND
    • go to a baseball game at Nats Park (consider splurging for Stars & Stripes (or even Presidents) Club box seats on Stub Hub) - baseball is back in DC with a vengeance, the stadium is fun, and good food options are plentiful...

Location Brand Hotel
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus Airport

ssindc...your post just reminded me of something I forgot. when you talke about baseball games at Nats Park, and that is Sunday Afternoon Polo games down near the reflecting pool

SS,

We are planning on visiting the Air and Space annex at Dulles.  When we visited several years ago, there was a bus available (for a fee) that left from the Air and Space Museum on the Mall; however, that is no longer available.  I have done some research and found 2 options: (1) Take the orange line to West Falls Church station, then take the Washington Flyer to Dulles, then another shuttle to the annex and (2) Take the Express Bus Service 5A from L'Enfants Plaza to Dulles, then the shuttle to the annex.  Do you know anyone who has had experience with either of these?

SuperShuttle also has service, from Air & Space Museum to Dulles for $29 for the 1st person and $10 for the 2nd person, so $39 for 2 people

Flyer Coach  from Metro West Falls Church to Dulles roundtrip is $18/pp so $36 for 2 people + the metro ticket ($4/person peak - $3/off peak = $6-8)

So Supershuttl will be $39 while Metro/Flyer is $42-44.

https://reservations.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx

I will certainly research this option.  It just may be the easiest.  Thanks!

If you can find others that want to go, each additional person after the 1st is $10.

So if you run into 2 other people that want to go, it would be $59 total or $16.75/each, e.g. it cheaper as you add people up to 8 people which is what the van accomodates.

If you let the Marriott concierge know, they may find others at the hotel that want to do the same thing.

p.s. I did the same thing when I was in the Med and the cruise lines wanted $300+ per person for Rome Tours.  I booked a car and driver that picked us up, and paid a flat fee for all.  I met a few folks on the ship and invited them to join us to fill the car, and reduced the price per person.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP,

What a wonderful idea!

How did you find the tour guide?

This is exactly the way I would want to do it, while in Rome.

Its a car service my office uses for business, that several other folks in the officed used.

I wanted someone reputable, that was concerned with more than just my 1 visit.

If i can find the contact info I can send to you if you like.

He is a very nice young fellow, and he has a network of people across italy.  Its all Mercedes service, just what size of vehicle you want.  You for ap pickup and transfer, or for the day as I did.  He also has people he uses for tours, so we had a private guide in the vatican who was an art history major and excellent.  All tickets were prearranged so no waiting in line, and they knew exactly what to show you, how to get around the crowds etc.  It was pricey but worth every penny.

Gem, I would like this information if you find it.  Thanks.

JC,

Below is the link to the website so you can take a look.

http://bestourofitaly.com/

I just sent an email to the owner to confirm its the current email address and setup an introduction, and will forward on to you.

He is a young fellow, very energetic and enthusiastic, and just couldn't do enough for us.  Since I was traveling my sister and kids, and her daughter was a teenager, I was a bit concerned about security, especially with our pickup in Naples at the docks.  I used him both in Naples for the drive down the Amalfi Coast, and in Rome for touring the city sites. His art historian for the vatican was fabulous.  I expect them to know more than what I have read in my guide books, and you would be surprised how many folks want my guide books when I am done cause it had more information.  But not with this time.

Kind Regards

Leslie

P.S. If you are going in winter, I just noticed they have a winter coupon for a discounted rate

http://www.bestourofitaly.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=78&Itemid=819

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thanks for posting this GP (Leslie)!  Tips like this are always so valuable when you get ready for a trip like this.

I really felt like we made the best use of our time and really saw both Rome and the Amalfi Coast.

While there is still more to see, I at least know that there was no way possible we could have done anymore in the limited amount of time we had, and we have a very good idea of what we would do when when we return.

Have just confirmed the best way to make contact to book services is via the website email

info@bestourofitaly.com

RB,

This is the link to the web site

http://bestourofitaly.com/

and there is a winter coupon if you are traveling this winter to reduce the rate

http://www.bestourofitaly.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=78&Itemid=819

Once the email address is confirmed I will let them know that you will be contacting them as well.

jose_oliveira Platinum

Dear all,

Thanks very much for you kind suggestions.

I will be staying at the Beaux Arts in Miami.

Would you recommend me to hire a car to visit the Miami neighborhood? I heard that car rental in the states are not expensive, but I wander if their is some interesting spots to visit around Miami?

Kind regards

José

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Just fyi...a wonderful place to eat is ris restaurant on L & 23rd.  Delicious food!  That's in DC.