7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 8:46 AM by jerhenz RSS

Gold to platinum worth while?  Elite night rollover

usmcsf Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All!

I am a new Gold Elite member since mid Nov. I usually travel 20-30 days a year but a little more this year. I will have 60 nights by mid-December and here are my questions.

1. Is it worth it to go from Gold to Platinum? I was on a personal trip last weekend and was treated like a rock star at 2 difference Marriotts. I got a corner suite at one without asking and a loft suite at another after asking. I got upgraded again this Monday to a corner suite for a 2 week stay without asking. Since I am getting upgrades already, is it worth it to get Platinum? I will have to get the 15 nights needed by applying for a Marriott Premier Visa to get me over the hump.

2. Say if I don't get the platinum and have 60 elite nights, how many nights will rollover? Will they take off 50 nights for me to maintain gold and rollover 10 nights?

Thanks for helping with my questions!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold to platinum worth while?  Elite night rollover
    vickisocal Platinum

If you do nothing, you get 10 rollover nights. 2 suites as a Gold is really unusual, we rarely get suites and the husband has been plat for 4 or 5 years. The biggest difference plat ot gold is the bonus points and arrival gifts which are sometimes "eh" and sometimes really cool.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

If you haven't been Platinum in the past, I'd recommend that you go for it. My unscientific survey is that the Marriott front desk folks are getting very good at welcoming Plats and upgrading when possible. The extra 25% bonus points are great...the 200 or 500 Platinum arrival gift is good, too.

The second part is the Marriott Chase Visa card. I always feel this is a great benefit. The 15 nights deposited in your account can come in handy. The one night stay certificate each year more than covers the annual fee. The caution is to avoid running up balances, the interest rate is a killer.

pilgrim37 Gold

I agree -- go for it!  I'm a new Platinum and have had suite upgrades the last two times I've traveled that were glorious.  Plus getting the card is a good idea too -- 5X points for Marriott spend.  I always take my welcome gift in points too -- points accumulate very quickly!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Another thing to remember is that those upgrades you received meant there were (likely) no Platinum or Platinum Premier members in residence at the time. Those higher statuses will bump you every time, all other factors being equal.  For example, a property like the Courtyard Toronto Airport might have as many as 10-12 Platinum Premier and 30-35+ Platinum checked in at a time, so being Gold will get you a room inside the building if you're lucky. Silvers and below huddle outside, their wan faces pressed against the window of the lobby bar in a Dickensian tableau.

Also as has been mentioned by others, the differential in point bonus is substantial, and can add up quite rapidly.

jerhenz Platinum

USMCSF,

I'm glad to hear of your fortune with the upgrades!

This will be my first year to qualify for Plat, and I am hoping it will equal at least an upgrade during my summer vacation. I have had a few instances of upgrades as gold, but for the most part, indifference at check in. I travel alot, with a new territory expansion even more, and don't mind staying in a regular room except for the crampt area to do computer work.

I have friends in other programs that have guaranteed annual access to upgrades to use for vacation as repayment for being away from their families so much during the year. I have already booked my rooms for this July and will see how it goes. The grass may be greener, but for me, the few times I get to spend with my family on vacation is most important to me. If I can't get an upgrade then, I may as well try another program.

Take care

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...