49 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2016 11:38 AM by stevetenco RSS

Platinum Premier versus Platinum

phillybased Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have almost 160 actual night stays this year since being "upgraded" to Platinum Premier (from Platinum).  To be completely honest, most hotels do not make a distinction between the two and as such there is no difference is service or benefits.  If Platinum Premier really means something then staff need to be properly educated and there should be some distinctions between Platinum Premier and Platinum.  Distinctions could be that Platinum Premier gets the upgraded and best rooms before Platinum, or the bonus structure is better or some other benefit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
France
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terrace
  • Re: Platinum Premier versus Platinum
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Good points you make.  I am not PP, but have 120 nights so far.  Wil be tough to top these numbers next year for rollover nights!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerhenz Platinum

What is the difference on qualification? I've never seen any type of discription between the two.

phillybased Platinum

Platinum Premier is an invitation only program.  My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that it's the top 1 or 2 percent of Platinum Elites.

dejamo Platinum

Its a super secret,  triple -handshake,  gang signs required, algorithym,  that only MR knows, and will not document in writing.

It is a moving target,  and no special benefits except a consolation prize at the beginning of the year you make PP,  of either a Cherry BlowPop,  a xmas tree ornament,  a rabbits foot, a cheap, essentially useless Solar charger,  or my favorite,  a years subscription to the WSJ online (last years gracious "freebie).

Oh,  and you get another special phone number to call if you want.

Sometimes it's the top 3 % of customers,  sometimes it's the top 2 % of customers, all of this is "subject to guesswork", as you wont find it anywhere in writing from MRI.  So, you will never know if it is by stays,  by revenue, by divine intervention,  or immaculate conception.

However,  you will find out that it is no different than being a regular ole Platinum,   no extra bonus points,  no free breakfasts,  no % of meals,  you will be lucky if any of the check in clerks recognize your status,  and if they do, it will be "Platinum only",   and you will be competing with all the recently inducted Life Time Platinums,  (they just cheapened the requirements for this as well),  and call it a "benefit".   Since any upgrades etc.... are at the mercy of each individual property,   you will be in a situation similar to finding a good 7 /11,  in expecting and receiving an benefits enhancements.  Be it Platinum, Platinum Premier, or LifeTime Platinum.

Do a search for insiders topics of Platinum Premier, and read them..it will open your eyes.

Come to the "Dark Side" Luke, 

Take the Diamond challenges from Hilton and Priority Club..you will be much happier.....

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

It's the top 3 percent.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

but they are not equally distribued across all properties, so you are likely to run into more of them at some properties over others.

my challenges as a platinum were in Indianapolis when there was just 1 FS (48h Guarantee), and the Mystic Marriott (Platinum Upgrade to CL floor).

Had it not been for these two properties I probably would never have noticed they add PP, as my travel had slowed down by then I would not qualify as PP

genevaflyer Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi,

I'm wondering if something has changed with the program this year ... (1) I'm reading a lot more reports of people being upgraded to Platinum Premier (including yours truly) and (2) it actually shows in your Marriott account.

Maybe MR is documenting a lot of the features of the program that used to be more "secretive"?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I hadn't noticed that, so I went back to check the account review.   But like they say, if only it made a difference.  They might have changed the percentage for this year since so many changes have been made.  Even if they haven't, the numbers will have certainly been upped.

But I can tell you that there are differences made at times.  Last year, my son was having his birthday.  I invited his best friend and her new husband and his daughter to have breakfast with us in the Marriott restaurant, and the management comped the additional 3 people.  That was so nice of them.  I won't do that again, though.  The husband played with his food by throwing it at his teenage daughter and didn't know how to act.

But at Hilton Head Marriott, we got the points and a gift, as well as free self parking.  Also very nice of them.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

50th Anniversary Trip 048.jpg I beg to differ, on our recent trip (Nov.) to Italy and France - both business and pleasure, my wife and I received upgrades and appreciated hospitality at every stay (Venice, Tuscany, Cannes), including this cart of goodies (bottle of champagne, cheesecake) at the JW in Cannes when we arrived in our room.

Fred

Message was edited by: fschumpert

Location Brand Hotel
    France
      dejamo Platinum

Since any upgrades etc.... are at the mercy of each individual property

From the looks of your picture, you had to wait until you you were married 50 years to get that !  LOL.....and in another country to boot !  LOL

Congratualtions BTW

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Actually, traveling on business primarily throughout North America and Western Europe, I normally receive automatic room upgrades at every Marriott - or affiliate hotels - with complimentary in-room service of wine, cheese, crackers, etc., along with access to concierge guess room with free breakfast (weekdays), so I can't complain.

Fred

worldman Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm a Premier and get upgraded to suites all the time. I just stayed at the JW marriott Grosvenor square near Hyde park in London and was upgraded to a suite that was absolutely huge. Beautiful room with fireplace and all separate rooms.

Maybe luck? I always get treated well with Marriott. They have the best ammenities and concierge rooms.

Also, at the time I checked in my 2 business partners who are platinums got regular rooms (they were still nice though)

Message was edited by: worldman

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I'm not Premier and , in fact, I barely make Platinum, most years.  I have, however been upgraded to suites quite frequently and have rarely received less than superior service.

When I have had problems, I usually complain and receive an appropriate response almost all of the time.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

phc

I concur.  your experience is likely what many of us see in our lives as well.

safe travels

Platinum Premier is a rather new category.

For many years I traveled alot and would have easily qualified.

Only after I stopped traveling so much did it come about.

From what I can see from the outside as a Lifetime Platinum, these folks get the priority in upgrades.

Use to be that at busy properties (Indianapolis Full Service, Mystic Marriott, etc) they would have more platinums in queue for not only the upgrades, but also the 48 hr guarantee, than available rooms.  i suspect they use the Platinum Premier status to prioritize both upgrades, and platinum overrides.  Had the same problem is plane tickets. The hardest ticket to buy was Indianapolis - Newark.  E&Y owned just about every seat on the plane on the prime commuting days. and I felt like I was in the E&Y cafeteria as they discussed their business on the plane.

I worked the better part of the year in Indianapolis one year, and every week I had to talk with the concierge to see where I stood on the Platinum Override list for the next week, as the hotel was always completely booked.  I was a bit surprised initially as it was not the Indy 500 race week, but found out that Indiapolis is one of the busiest hotel cities because its considered the center of the US for conventions. Anyone planning a convention and wanting to make travel distances someone equal, uses Indianapolis. Also, rates are low enough that anyone traveling on a government rate can afford the rooms.

Indianapolis is probably safe enough, too, when comparing it to Chicago and maybe even St. Louis, MO.  Both are probably a lot higher priced, as you mentioned.

Actually, conference planning, that needs alot of rooms, and needs to accomodate the government rates, use either Las Vegas or Orlando.  These are the only 2 destinations with sufficient hotel capacity and low rates, that work.  some of the smaller conferences try to rotate regional, e.g. one year its east coast, then midwest, south, west, etc.  some will focus on where most participants are like the northeast corridor. I leavned from the Marriott concierge in Indianapolis there weer alot picking a geographically central location though I havd never been involved in these types.  Most of mine were either large government participation (Vegas, Orlando), east coast based industries, or rotating regions.

icecat1973 Platinum

Yes there are way too many platinum members and probably thought adding the premier to the ones that stay more gives them more clout.  I have noticed since I got mine 2 years ago, I get the better rooms at most properties.  However there are many properties that don't even know the difference.  I was just at the magnificent mile Marriott and the girl didn't seem to care about the difference.  When you average 180 nights a year like I do it matters when they go that extra bit for me.  Also I saw in Tampa that they average about 7 a night there and really don't blink when you check in.   It would be nice if there was some distinction between the platinum levels other than the lifetime platinum.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I've been a PP for six or seven years consecutively now (I think, I honestly can't remember when I first got it), and I didn't even know it until I saw the change in my profile. No announcement, email, letter or other communication to inform me of any change and it's import. The Black Card Of No Life arrived some months later, and other than the 20% off food at FS properties, I honestly haven't seen any real distinction other than acknowledgement of the status on greeting boards, etc. Sure, there's the little annual "gift" from Marriott, but it's never anything I use or have a need for so it's generally forgotten about in short order.

It seems to me that it was created to be Marriott's equivalent to United's Global Services or similar; invitation only, exclusive, and supposedly to designate those customers that are to be well taken care of. Or not. In execution, it's been source of little pride of achievement, and certainly not so much bragging rights as an indication of how little normality exists for some of us.

Perhaps PP customers are not aware of their status, but as a Platinum, when trying to either get upgraded or use the 48 hr guarantee, when I press them on it, the response is usually their are X Platinum Premiers in queue ahead of you and Y Platinums that were added to the list before you.

icecat1973 Platinum

They sent me a toiletry garment bag that just sits in my closet. woo hoo!

mlween Platinum

I Agree!  Just recently stayed at The Boehemian hotel in celebration, fla using Marriott points.  We were put in the worst room in the hotel, bottom,  first floor by valet parking lot under a loud sign that turned.  Upon arrival we were checked in by a rude employee (I think her name was Pia) she would not give us a rollaway, she said if we weren't happy that all the hotels were full, that maybe the JW was open downtown..."Let her know"!!  Then she said oh ya...you are a platinum member, but we're full and you don't have rollaway listed in your portfolio (Which there is no where to list it anyway!).   We did not ever get a newspaper either. I totally understand that when not paying full price and using points (we still paid $125.00 a night in addition to points) that they don't want you to have the best room, but there is something to be said about being a loyal Marriott customer!  The next day, we talked to a different employee and insisted on a rollaway so that my son didn't have to sleep on the floor again.  She had one in our room within the hour!  The hotel is lovely, but being stuck in our room in the corner (we used extra points to upgrade to a suite), was not a pleasant experience.   So...that's the platinum experience!!

I'm so sorry to hear about the rude clerk.  I hope you let them know about her, because the clerk the next day demonstrated that it was possible.

It doesn't even seem like the Marriott should be that oblivious to the lack of soundproofing issues for that room.  That's horrible!!  I think it's also bad that you had to use additional points to be upgraded.  Very bad on Marriott's part all the way around.

Is that a vacation club there in Celebration?  Most around there are.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Your post contains something that I find true.  It is an individual that can really make the difference.  I have numerous experiences with American Airlines and Marriott where I ask for something that I think is reasonable, only to either be turned down or the person having no idea how to accommodate my request.  Generally, I thank them, hang up, call back and always get a different person.  I have been pleasantly surprised how getting the "right" person to make your request of makes all the difference!  The "right" person will generally make the effort to find a way to help.

I had my kids stuck in Denver during a storm a couple of years ago.  All flights were cancelled and all subsequent flights were therefore overbooked.  I think it took more than a dozen calls but finally an agent said "Mr ***, I am going to help you" and she did.  My four kids were on two flights, but they got home...and, in time for Christmas.  From what I read, some were stranded for another couple of days.  A single agent - an angel in my opinion - made the difference.

The other day, I discovered again just how valuable the 866 CS line is for elites.

Trying to book a room to get a certificate for the current Megabonus for my son, he called the 800# on the back of his card.  The number was filled with a sales spiel that he couldn't circumvent even when he pushed 2 that he didn't want the 2 night cruise worth $650 free for just paying the $59 port fees.  When he did press 2 for no, the recorded message went on to say that most people did want that offer and they had just a few questions.  He hung up and I just called the speed dial number for the 866 and entered my husband's number telling them we wanted to use another number to book a room and then I told her what had happened with the 800 number.

Their sales spiel using time on our phone calls is not good PR in my opinion.  They can at least have you push another number to listen to a spiel if someone desires to do so. 

erc Platinum

lakersfan, I think you've hit the nail on the head. As phillybased wrote over a year ago (and ranstar correctly noted the topic had been simmering for several threads - months old), the consistent implementation of Rewards policies is somewhat going the route of the phone booth and resolutions to travel issues are becoming more and more a case by case situation. This is fine by me, who has the time to customize each trip using the tools like customer service that nuhusker lists below, or calling again until I get the rep that can solve my issue like you did, but for many, be it trying to get points to post, nights credited, or other issues requiring additional follow up, it may just be the 'straw that breaks the camel's back' in their whirlwind of business responsibilities and move on (a couple in this very thread) in hopes of finding greener pastures.

The fact that so many threads of Insiders are often picked up and run with months, if not years later and remain relevant if not resolved, indicates to me that the pushing down to the lowest level approach is not necessarily being effectively implemented in all cases and leads to what many of us have come to label the consistency of inconsistency.  What I Iack in cutting edge millennial tech skills and interests, I make up for with persistence and time, so I make out just fine; but I do empathize with the veteran road warrior like yourself and the many others that posted in this thread over the past year, that in order to obtain what used to be a 'standardized' level of service, additional efforts must be invested on top of an already jam-packed workload.

ranstar Platinum

This appears the most recent thread on this topic.  I received Platinum Premier simultaneous with a notice that I was "Platinum for Life".  The PFL was based on 1,000 nights (kind of like million miler, I guess).  I think some hotels do provide higher level of service to PP guests.  There were several perks provided at a stay in Honolulu (Waikiki Marriott Resort) last week.  They waived the resort charge.  They gave us a 6:00 checkout (no fee) on the last day.  Maybe they would do it for Platinum, but, I don't know.  We also booked on the lowest rate, and got upgraded to Ocean View Jr Suite.  It would be nice if we knew specifically what we were working for, toward.  But, I'm happy for the perks received.

Me, too, ranstar.  I think many think like that.

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

PP are typically at the top for upgrades is space allows.  However- it still is up to the property and yes there is variations.  Bohemian is an Autograph Collection Property so there is less consistency within those properties.  I have been PP for 3 years.  Recently stayed at Winter Haven in SOBE.  called several times prior to check-in to request the two rooms at least be on the same floor as we were traveling with children. told they could accommodate the request.  No connecting rooms here nor suites and rooms too small for 4 people.  We ended up with the 2 rooms but 2 floors apart.  Plus you can hear everything from the neighboring rooms- including their bathroom habits.- i usually stay at Eden Roc but they were sold out so tried this property.  Wont be staying there again. 

I also request they waive resort fees when i check in or give me free parking and usually they comply.  I almost always am traveling for business and dont use the resort pool, etc.

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

AFter my most recent stay at a courtyard not only was my status not recognized they never even said thanks for staying. I think Marriott needs to teach their employees to be more customer friendly but they should at least says thanks for the loyalty to a PP for staying. Again we travelers have many choices.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Mi,

You are so right!, sadly!

Same thing happened to me last week.  Can't figure out why a person cannot say "Thanks for staying with us"!  I don't expect them to say welcome PP anymore, but it's just good business to thank customers. 

As you say, there are too many choices to not be happy with your experience.

this is a bit off-topic, but....

I just noticed on my folio's that twice this month I have not received my platinum 500 point welcome gift.  What would you Insiders do about it and how would you go about doing it?  I looked for a written policy on this and could not find it anywhere.

HELP!

I just call CS.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

shoeman, I've had this happen twice I believe.  Once a couple of years ago at the airport marriott in orlando and recently at the cookeville, tn FFI.  Both times I sent an email to customer.care@marriott.com, reported the discrepancy and asked that my arrival points be posted proomptly and that I receive additional compensation as required.  In the case of the full service Marriott I received a 100 dollar gift card within days, and the FFI general mgr credited my charge card for $25.  Their system for remedying this problem worked.

Husker, Ebb

thanks for the info.  I will get with customer care straightaway.

crr2001 Platinum

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

also if you stay on a weekend you can get another 750 in lieu of breakfast but you need to ask

mobilepete Platinum

I am now in my third year of Platinum Premier and during this time I have enjoyed a much higher hit rate of upgrades to a suite compared to my years at platinum. My stay pattern seems to help.

1) stay mainly at full service Marriotts in major cities-More likely to get a suite if the hotel has a large number of them

2) mainly 1 or 2 night stays-will a room controller allocate a suite upgrade for a week when the hotel may be able to sell it a few days later?

3) mainly stay outside of North America - in my experience an upgrade to concierge room is more the standard in US/Canada-not that valuable when you have lounge access anyway.

So I for 1 really value the benefits of Platinum Premier

tva_man Platinum

Have been Platinum for the last 5 years, generally just shy of 100 nights in all hotels, and not enough to make Premier. Change in job responsibilities puts me in hotels 200 nights this year. Needed to decide if it's worthwhile to spread the loyalty another chain (like a 125 / 75 split) or double down on Marriott nights and, based on your comments here, it made the decision easy ... but I feel like a traitor. Just hit Diamond level with Hilton and nice to have options.

erc Platinum

Way to play the game tva_man. Congratulations on a sound business decision.

As founder of the Mills Lane,    "Protect yourself at all times" International Loyalty Program Club (he tried to warn Evander),  I was immediately informed by our thousands of members of your "but I feel like a traitor" ambivalence. As Cher told Nicolas Cage in Moonstruck, "SNAP OUT OF IT!"

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

tva_man  If you are in hotels that often (200 nights a year) it only makes good sense to have a few hotel options and be top tier at all of them. You will have more property selection and more pricing flexibility.

stevetenco Platinum

I think the use off mariott or ritz credit card has more to do with you hitting the PP status.  The credit card use gives you nights stay credit as well.

perpetualguest Platinum 3 Reviews

Congratulations on being upgraded to Platinum Premier with only 160 nights. I had over 330 nights last year and was disappointed to find that I didn't make Premier. I suppose a big part of the reason I failed is that I spent a majority of those nights in a Towne Place Suites, the poor step-sister of the Marriott chain. However, it is the place designed for long term stays.

I don't want to read too much into this, but if someone who has over 300 nights annually in Marriott properties isn't making Platinum Premier, one has to think Marriott doesn't value its long term stay business very much.

marcppelletier Platinum 1 Reviews

I have been Platinum Premier Elite Lifetime (with 100-327 nights still per year for over 12 years) for a few years and have not seen any difference. In fact some of my gold or platinum colleagues often receive better perks than I do at hotels (arriving at same time for same length of stay). On this recent trip a "mere platinum" got a corner executive suite upgrade when he arrived and I received a regular room on a floor below the concierge level (same length of stay, arrived at same time). In the mornings, I often see that many patrons still receive newspapers at their doors while I rarely do (it is in my profile). I also still occasionally get two queen beds versus the king noted in my profile (when silver and gold colleagues traveling with me get the king!). Not sure why. Not complaining though as I still feel that Marriott provides the best preferred elite program in the hotel industry.

erc Platinum

As this two year old thread demonstrates (and it's been discussed longer than that), it's all about the consistency of inconsistency when it comes to the ambiguous (as in what an upgrade is) perks.

Premiers that complain get great and special treatment,
      Premiers that don't complain get great and special treatment,
      Premiers that complain get average or less treatment,
      Premiers that don't complain get average or less treatment

The same can be said for Platinums (which is probably a legitimate issue with Premiers - but other than Premiers, no one cares). And of course what some folks might consider complaining, others could think of as highlighting or emphasizing. So apparently it's a combination of random luck and technique rather than any Standard Operating Procedure of Marriott.

Since, given the lack of concern by Marriott (understandable given their huge success and demonstrated through the years of it remaining a topic of discussion), it's an "to each their own" world out there. Complaining therefore, is probably a poor use of intellectual energy, better invested in focusing on obtaining whatever one feels necessary for a satisfactory stay (which threshhold changes with the purpose of the trip - business/family/celebration etc).

Although it does make me a bit nervous when the CM immediately likes a non-complainer comment. Not complaining of course, should not be confused with wearing our stupid clothes, or in being spineless lemmings (which I'm sure the CM knows), rather more a resignation that; it is, what it is

perpetualguest Platinum 3 Reviews

Despite having over a thousand nights at Marriott and being Platinum, I sometimes feel like a real novice when it comes to understanding how the hotels operate. I almost always travel alone, so I have never been aware of disparate treatment, but it pains me to read about your experiences.

It seems to me there must be some standard operating procedure when it comes to blocking out rooms. One would think this would be done each morning or early afternoon, assigning rooms by the highest priority. I am planning on taking the manager of the hotel where I most often stay out to lunch next week, and I'll see if she can shed any light on how blocking decisions are made.

fh1greek Platinum

I've experienced no difference as a Platinum Premier member. Extremely rare that I ever get upgraded or even put on the concierge floor. I don't honestly see a difference between being a Platinum Premier and having zero status.  I consistantly receive better service as a mid-level platinum member at Hyatts than I do at a Marriott.  I've only stayed at one Marriott in the last two years that even knew what Platinum Premier status was.

tishers Platinum

Maybe they should make a new level. Call it "plutonium" since we are on this silver,gold,platinum progression. The card can be red colored and send off Cherenkov radiation (that blue glow). It will be quite pretty and nobody would confuse it with lowly platinum membership.

Attempting to make light of it, but it is a serious question. When you reach that level where you are more than doubling down on the number of nights it takes to make platinum (75 for platinum) there should be some more established way of identifying and recognizing these customers. Once you make platinum and you don't see anything tangible to increasing your stays beyond that point then it really may serve you best to work on your Hilton or other rewards programs stays at different brands.

For me, here it is;  the end of July and I am at 110 nights. Projecting forward my hotel stays through the rest of the year I will most likely hit 200 for the year. I am platinum elite (whatever that means) but will I hit premier? Based upon some of the experiences of others I might not. All it seems to get me at that point is that I will have enough nights accrued that I could roll-over 75 in to 2016 and not spend a single night in a Marriott next year but still keep my platinum status.

Once I hit 150 and have enough nights for a complete rollover for 2017 status why should I stay at Marriott's? I stay in a Courtyard because it is right across the parking lot from my client and we have a negotiated corporate rate. I use AMEX as that is what we use for corporate travel so I do not spend my dollars on a Marriott sponsored credit card. I may never make the $ spent to earn lifetime platinum and I do not want to own another piece of plastic.

I could stay at the Hilton that is on the other side of our client's building and still be within walking distance to the office. Also we have a corporate rate there. In the morning all of us consultants are getting ready for the day; the ones staying at the Hilton and bringing in their breakfasts, coffees and newspapers that they get at the Hilton to have a quick breakfast before the day begins. Those of us who stay at the Courtyard are tempted to walk over to the Hilton for some of the perks.

While I am OK with Marriott having some relationship with Visa for a credit card it does bother me that the way the rewards program is set up that it is nearly impossible to meet the points requirement without owning a Marriott Visa card. Has Marriott somehow become confused at what it is? A good quality hotel chain or are they also now a credit card issuer? I suggest that someone higher up within the corporation takes that in to consideration; what are you? A hotel chain or a bank?

There must be someone within Marriott who thinks of how to retain customers who are in a similar position as I. Right now it sort of feels like we are the type of customer who is a member of the rewards program but we do not require any real effort on their part to retain us. I am not feeling the love.

Location Brand Hotel
      Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terrace
      iamhawkeye Platinum 1 Reviews

Greek

Unless they are full, you can demand access to the C Lounge.  After 9/11, I actually like staying on the lower floors.

Upgrades per most of the managers I have met depend on when you check in.  They may hold a room for the PP, but usually they hope it will be rented.  Thus if you are a P or a PP, if you get there first, you get the room.  One of the bad things about mobile check-in is that one rarely gets an upgrade with it (but can get a 11 am checking)