26 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2012 5:34 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Garmisch, Germany, "Glory" for Christmas!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There are so many places to celebrate and enjoy Christmas, but Bavaria is a wonderful area to treat your loved ones very special!

Start with the wonderful holiday reception at the Munich Airport,

IMG_2819.jpg

There are many Christmas displays at the airport.  It gets you "In the mood"!

IMG_2820.JPG

Nothing like having people pass you on the Autobahn and you are doing 150 MPH!

They are gone so quickly, when you see the headlights flash, get over!

IMG_2825.JPG

No Marriott's, so this is a great place1

IMG_2822.JPG

The Zugspitzer, is a special site

IMG_2843.JPG

Great Christmas places to shop on Marionnplatz!  All is fun!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Garmisch, Germany
  • Re: Garmisch, Germany, "Glory" for Christmas!
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Beautiful pictures Jerry.  I can see how you'd love it there, especially at Christmas time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt and razor,

Thanks for the comments!

Headed for Oberammergau (Passion Play town) today!  Thought you might enjoy a few more pictures of Garmisch.

IMG_2828.jpg

The calm river runs through town.

IMG_2838.JPG

A view of The Alps, with the frozen lake, it's behind the "Old Renaissance"!  (By the way, that hotel is nothing like it used to be as a Marriott property).  Would never stay at the "Former Renaissance", service was non-existant, and a sad departure from my former stays there!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Jerry, I love the pictures.  This area just might be our Christmas destination in 2013.

razorbackfan,

This time of year is a great time to be in the area.  If you are not planning on skiing, the prices are down and will go much higher around December 15th!

If you do decide to go, let me know, so I can share some more MRI with you!

These are absolutely breathtaking Jerry!  Thank you.

Thanks try53,

Will have information on Innsbruck, Austria soon.  Spent the day there today!  Lot's of snow along the way!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thanks for sharing such nice pictures.  I know you all are having a great time.

razor,

Please keep the NE and New Hampshire stories coming.  You have some great information to share!

tryt and razor,

Hope the snow keeps coming here!

Will have some more information and pictures soon.  Got a big day in plan for today.

Thanks for your comments!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry,

Great photos.  Looks like you are having a delightful time!  Thanks for taking the time to post.

Pluto,

Had a wonderful dinner for my Birthday in Garmisch!

Will have more soon but it's after 1AM here and I have to get to bed.

Thank-you for your comments!

Will have more for you soon!

Jerry,

Happy Belated Birthday!  Headed to San Diego this weekend for my mom's birthday.  To piggyback on your comment to RBF, it seems like this time of year is a GREAT time of year to go just about anywhere, in terms of prices.  There seem to be stellar deals everywhere.  (P.S.  Even though I'm not going to Garmisch for Christmas, my kids will still be going!  I will try to make it there in February or May/June when I go back.)

pluto,

That Amtrak idea is a wonderful one!  Always wanted to try it, and once staying in San Clemente, went down toward the Pacific just to watch the train go by!

Your hands will be full on the week-end, but you bring back great memories of those Friday "Farmers Market" in downtown Long Beach. (Sorry, we are getting off the "AM" Track here! (I'll be on the "Abuse", list again!

Miss the great meals at "Sir Winston's on the Queen Mary, and I think it was "5555" a wonderful steakhouse just down from the Renaissance.

Pluto, thank-you for the Birthday wishes.  It was a wonderful day and highlighted by a great dinner at "La Vie", a fine newer French place in Garmisch!

Will have some new information and photo's soon!

They can put me on the abuse list right along with you.  The Surfliner is the Amtrak line that goes from San Diego to Los Angeles Union Station.  It's a great coastal ride from SD to about San Juan Capistrano, then it veers inland through Orange County and on to LA.  The Pacific Starlight is the line that runs from LA to Seattle, but you really only see the Pacific Ocean from about LA to San Luis Obispo, I think.  Then the rest of the track veers inland enough to miss the ocean, if I'm correct.  Nonetheless, I really want to go from Jack London Square up to Seattle on the Pacific Starlight someday (it's a 12 hour journey.)  It would be Seattle, Vacouver and Victoria sandwiched inbetween San Francisco stays.

Thanks for posting the "La Vie" info!

P.S.  We're flying to SD, only because we got a stellar deal on Alaska Airlines.  It will be nice to avoid the 7 hour drive through LA!

pluto,

You are a "Lucky Lady"!

There are NO easy drives thru LA!

Hope all goes well for the game, and you have a safe trip!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Happy Birthday, late!

Sorry I missed this earlier.  Glad y'all are enjoying things there in Germany.  The pictures look beautiful and so does your wife.

eb5147,

Thank-you!

I am very fortunate to have a "Travel partner" like her!

We have a wonderful time together, and the only time she get's upset, is when I spend too much time on the computer!

Thank God, she is so busy, she doesn't know how much time I really spend, so keep it between us!

Take care, and Merry Christmas to you!

Jerry,

Happy Birthday!  Such a beautiful place to spend it too!!  I'm sure you are aging gracefully, like a fine wine

tryt,

I think you have it turned around. 

"I am not aging gracefully, but I am drinking wine"!

This is a photo from a wonderful Birthday dinner at "La Vie", in Garmisch.  By the way, the day started with a beautiful snowfall, and ended with a fantastic dinner!

IMG_2823.JPG

It even got better the next day, but what a start for a day!

IMG_2848.JPG

Tryt, we took your advice, we "Had a glass of vino"!  You are a "Scholar and a gentleman!  (There are not many of us left!)

Jerry,

You are too kind, but I would submit that you are the true "Scholar and a gentleman", and have a true lady by your side!  Toast to you and your birthday, and many more!

tryt,

You really know how to make a "Special moment"!

If I wasn't trying to "Do too much", I could be more appreciative to you and your kind words.

Nancy, is a "Trooper", and I try to "Spoil her everyday"!

Like one my favorite singers sang, "Memories are made of you and me!" (Dean Martin, if think)

tryt,

Thanks!

I just wish there was a Marriott nearby, that would be so comfortable for me, but this place is "First Class"!

The snow here today was wonderful!

Thanks for your comments!

More snow!

IMG_2893.JPG

This is the back of the hotel.  This is a great hotel, it was once rated one of the 50 best in the World!  Rendle's Partenkirchner Hof, is very relaxing and in a wonderful location, just a block from the train station and a block from The Visitor Center!

IMG_2829.JPG

If you are taking the train here, you can rent a car from AVIS, as it is right in the station.  Likewise, there is one of the two Burger Kings in town in the train station.  You can have a Whopper while you await your car!.  Again the hotel is less than a block away, just strait out these doors!

IMG_2827.JPG

I am a big believer in "Visitor Centers" here just a block from the hotel, you can get valuable tourist information in English!

By the way, there is a little market, between the hotel and the Visitor Center that sells you a nice bottle of wine for less than one glass at the hotel!  If you don't mind "Pouring your own"!

What a handsome couple you two make.  Great photos.

pluto,

We are very blessed!

Thank-you!

La Vie, is a place you would enjoy!  They are family oriented and I will soon post a "Very special" place that was wonderful!  You won't imagine that in this wonderful place there was a "Dog-fight", no I am not kidding!  Will have more, but am going to dinner now.

IMG_2886.JPG

A wonderful place to dine!

Location Brand Hotel
              Garmisch, Germany

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...