20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 1:25 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany (Continued)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What a great place to enjoy the Christmas Season!

A twenty minute drive from Garmisch, it is a very special place for everyone,  Wonderful shops, fine food, and reduced prices make it a good alternative for gifts for loved ones.  Here are some photo's of places you may enjoy"

IMG_2854.JPG

The Passion Play Theatre is special, but you don't have to wait every ten years to have a wonderful time here!

IMG_2857.JPG

World Class Christmas Shops like Kathe, Wohlfarht, are amazing places to find gifts for loved ones!

IMG_2862.JPG

A great place for special German chocolates, cakes and cookies.  Santa's Elves are in the background, busy making items for all!

IMG_2851.JPG

This the place to shop for gifts!  Right on the main street, the prices beat Munich and surrounding towns.

IMG_2850.JPG

This is Toby, he owns the shop!

An Actor in the Passion Play, which 2000 people act.  Once every ten years!

He knows the town and has been to over 47 countries in the World.  A real gentleman and wonderful contact in town!

Will try to have "Dining" recommendations soon!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oberammergau, Germany
  • Re: Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany (Continued)
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

I'm really glad you posted this.  I don't know why exactly, but I've always wanted to visit Oberammergau (perhaps even more than Garmisch).  Probably because it's smaller, more cute and quaint seeming, as well as Alpine.  Enjoyed this post.  A visit is a definite must for me now.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto,

Will have more for you on where to stay and what to do, if you decide on staying in "The Bid O"!

However, Garmisch is a wonderful place to HQ on a trip to Bavaria.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Great photos, Jerry!  Loved Oberammergau!  Such a charming town.

Are you going to the Wieskirche just down the road a bit in Steingaden?  It's a gorgeous rococo church!

St. Peter and Paul's church in Oberammergau is quite beautiful also.

Enjoy your trip!

newhiltonmember,

Did not even know about the Wieskirche?  So thank you!  Come to think of it, it may be the monastery I pass getting to O!  Yes, I have been.

The St. Peter and Paul's church is next to a wonderful place to stay and dine, "Maximillian's"  Wonderful!

nhm,

Here is the place for a great meal and stay, when in the area!

Maximilians Hotel has MaxBrau Rest. in it and it is a wonderful place to dine!  Located right next to the Catholic Church, it is walking distance to most activities in town.

IMG_2866.jpg

Game is offered, but I had the "Crispy pork dish" and for 11 EU, it was a wonderful value!

Hope you enjoy!

Food pictures are not my specialty, but dining on this German Pork, Red Cabbage and potato dumpling for 11 EU as a great meal and deal!

IMG_2867.JPG

The rooms at Maximilians are very nice!

IMG_2871.JPG

The staff speaks English and is very enthusiastic on service!

Enjoy!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Really nice pictures, Jerrycoin.  Were you a food photographer or did you have anything to do with the food industry?

The room is so serene and the lights outside look so fantastic. 

eb5147,

No!

I have nothing to do with food photo's, other than I take them.  I am no really any good at that.  Some of them do turn out and others don't!

I did train to be a chef, but never professionally, worked as a chef.

Only enjoy a great meal, at a fair price!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Great pics, Jerry!  Thanks!

Enjoy!!!  And, Happy Birthday!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin

Outstanding pictures of your recent travels in Bavaria and Thank You for taking the time and effort to post them.  I hope to travel to Munich early next December and your posts are a valuable resource for planning (along with the additions of the other MIs).

gm1,

Thank-you!

Let me know any detailed questions or how I can really help!  There are a lot of "Little things", that may make a "Big" difference in your trip!

I learn something new everyday.  You should have seen it snow today!  Take a look!

IMG_2895.JPG

This was like a "White out"!  This was from the inside of my room.  Note the beautiful plants on the patio!  This is a charming hotel.  If you want to use points you can stay at the Marriott in Munich, but you may have to deal with this kind of weather.  I will be able to recommend both places to dine and stay in this area!  This is a perfect time to visit as prices are lower, no skiing, and crowds are lower!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin,

I will gladly take you up on your offer.  Any and all information from a veteran traveler is always a plus.  I will start putting my trip together most likely in February and March for the early part of December 2013.  Munich and Bavaria have always been on my list of places to visit and the Christmas Markets might allow my wife to forget the cold and snow.  What a great view of the snow scene from your room.  Whenever I encounter similar snow conditions, I always hear Simon and Garfunkle's  "Sounds of Silence" rattling around in my head.  I hope you continue to enjoy your journey in the Bavarian winter wonderland!

gm1,

It will be my pleasure to assist you on the trip you would like to take!

DSCN0134_0108.jpg

This is the place pictured from one of my "Summer" trips!  It is special year around!  The next play will be in 2020!  You will need to get your tickets about 2 years ahead!  Don't forget the shop owner Toby, who is one of the actors to help you with plans.  He is very special!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...