12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 4:26 PM by pluto77 RSS

Rental Car Damage

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We rented a car for over 3 weeks this past summer when we visited Glacier National Park, Calgary, and Banff National Park.  We were on our way back to Salt Lake City to return the car when we encountered a stretch of the interstate which had been chip and sealed.  Needless to say, vehicles were throwing rocks all over the place and one found our windshield.  When we returned the car, the agent suggested we contacted our credit card company and they would cover the damage.  We had used our Marriott Visa card.  When I called, they were very nice; however, I was told that the car was not covered because we had rented for more than 15 days.  I guess I should have explored the rules more thoroughly, but I had not.  We waited from July to October (hoping it had been forgotten about just kidding).  When we were notified of the damage claim in early October, I contacted our insurance company.  Nobody seemed to know what was covered on a rental car, but I thought we had finally gotten it straightened out; however, we were contacted by the agency yesterday and informed that the insurance had only paid part of the claim.

The moral of the story: Make sure you know the specifics of the coverage on a rental car when it is rented for more than 15 days.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rental Car Damage
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

razorback,

Thanks for sharing your story.  I've always declined the rental car companies insurance because I knew there was some type of coverage through my credit card and also my insurance company.  Keep us posted I would like to hear the final outcome.  For long term rentals it may just make sense to buy the rental car companies insurance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Your car insurance company should be the first contact you should make for such a claim.  Also, if the crack is less than an inch, ususally it is discarded by the Car rental company.

The crack spread across the entire windshield almost immediately.

Wow!  Have (thankfully) never experienced that before.  Hope all was ok after the initial impact (safety of car occupants)?

Thanks, lone6star.  We were fine.  Just aggravated that we were within an hour of returning the car when this happened.  I predicted that it would be a "nightmare" to resolve and that would almost be the category I would assign to all the time I have been on the phone.

sdbroker Platinum

I often rent for more than 15 days.  The Marriott Chase card had stated that I would be covered for anything my personal car insurance wouldn't handle, however I didn't read the fine print, I better get a copy.  I'll now split my rental into less than the 15 days you mention just to cover myself.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Good idea, sd.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

razor:

The insurance you have on your personal car is always the first insurance to get 'hit' when there is a claim on a rental car. That policy (you paid for it) should follow you with every car you drive. The Marriott card is only a secondary insurance and that would generally cover the 'deductible' that you would pay for any claim on your policy. A broken windshield falls under the 'comprehensive coverage' category in your policy and the only amount that you should have been responsible for would be whatever the deductible amount is on your policy for comprehensive coverage.

drbcollins Silver 8 Reviews

Razor

Too bad regarding your rental car. I too had a small accident with a rental car rented for 30 days. When I had attempted to turn it into my credit card company they too stated they would not cover as it was rented over 15 days and they considered it a lease. I then turned it into my insurance company and they handled all the details (Allied Insurance) It's probably best to rent for 15 days or less, but I rent often as I do not like to put a lot of miles on my personal car, and I do have to say that I generally receive a better rate renting for a longer period of time such as 30 days. By the way, the accident did put a ding on my insurance and raised slightly. Had it gone through the credit card I do not know if it would have raised my premium. Good Luck.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Years ago, we rented using AMEX, which covered just fine.  There was no reflection on our insurance.  We hadn't called police, because with one car, a deer ran in front of the car and caused some damage.  Another time, near Jackson, MS; a wolf ran in front of the Festiva I was driving while it was chasing a deer that had just crossed the highway running at top speed, and then trotted across the highway going back with a smile on it's face.

I love happy endings!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

LOL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...