24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2016 11:26 AM by fsulaw1 RSS

No reward points for stays booked by third party web sites

mike_p Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

Anyone had the issue of business travel which you company has a policy which means you have to book your flights and hotel through a corporate third party web site and not getting reward points or elite nights? As I have just had this issue when I have stayed twice in Budapest in June/July totaling about 9 nights in all and I have now found out that I cannot have my reward points or elite nights due to the rewards T&C not allowing them to be credited due to the booking not being made directly. This seems unfair and basically I cannot no longer see a reason to book any of my corporate travel in Marriott hotels as I would not get any points or rewards plus I'm not in a position to change my company's policy.

The remaining points and nights will only come from my personal travel but that is only once or twice a year at the most so I'll need to reconsider this in the future when I can used my reward points up.

Mike

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: No reward points for stays booked by third party web sites
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Mike,

I think most hotel chains have that policy that if your reservation is made through a third party then you are not eligible for the reward points.  It's a shame that your company will not allow you to make your own reservation and then get reimbursed for the expense.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vickisocal Platinum

All of my husband's stays are booked thru his corporate travel website (concur). He gets credit for all of them. His corporate AmEx IN HIS NAME is used to hold and pay for the reservation and his MR number is entered at the time of the reservation.

In general two things need to happen to get credit- your MR number needs to be attached to the reservation and you need to pay for the room in cash, gift cards, or a card in your name (even if it is a card your company pays the bill for). It cannot be a direct billed room or a room your comapny prepaid for.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Actually, I have received my MR points for stays directly billed to my company.

After a year at a client site, expenses become compensatory income and at that time my company requires the hotel to directly bill them.  But, I've still received my points for the stay.  What I do lose are the points associated with paying that bill with my MR credit card.

vickisocal Platinum

You got lucky. Policy is that direct billed rooms do not earn points. Burned exactly one time that way, never again.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

No, I didn't get lucky.  Point 7 of the MR T&Cs states:

Point or elite night credit accrual is limited to individual travel and the room must be paid for individually by the Member or direct billed to the party responsible for paying the bill. If the room is master-billed, the charges are not eligible for Points or elite night credits.

I think you must mean you cannot receive points for charges that are master-billed.  Direct-billed charges are point eligible.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I book all of my business travel thru a corporate mandated third party website.  As part of my profile they asked for frequent flyer, hotel and rental car numbers.  When the reservation is booked, the appropriate number is also tranferred.  In additon, when ever I check into a Marriott or Hilton, they always ask for my Marriott or Hilton number.  If they didn't I would make sure that they have it.  This is what i would suggest you do as well, so that you receive the appropriate credit.  Do the same when arriving at the airport---go directly to your gate, and ensure that your Airline has your frequent flyer number attached to the Boarding Pass.

Generally you can go back 6 months to a year to obtain credit on all of these programs.  If I were you, I would call all of them up to get the appropriate credit.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Regards!

vickisocal Platinum

You don't need to wait until you arrive. As soon as a book flights/rooms thru Concur I go to AA and Marriott website and confirm they are showing up under my login.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Ypou are absolutely right, but I do this as a double check!

mike_p Silver

Thank-you for all your comments. When I check in I always check that they have my number or do it at check-out time either way it did not help me. I feel that the rules are unfair and I was not informed when I passed over my reward card at the check-in/check-out either way I'm out of pocket for my rewards and have not reason to use Marriott for my corporate due to this. Do the other major hotel chains do the same?

vickisocal Platinum

Mike- What website was used to book? How was the room paid for?

mike_p Silver

The hotel was booked through Egencia which would mean that they paid Marriott and my company paid Egencia.

Mike

vickisocal Platinum

Then you are out of luck. The key point being that the bill was paid by the third party, not, as the title indicates, that it was booked thru a third party.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

the only way i have made this work is when checking in to not only make sure that my MR was in the file ( it usually is) but to change the billing to my personal credit card. When it was billed to a corporate credit card or an individual who was planning to pick up an entire conference i didn't get credit. If I ate in a restaurant at the hotle and that went on my credit card i got credit for that. Maybe some of you have found another way but in all my caes if I didn't change the billing to my card i didn't get points or nights stayed. By the way this has been the same when i have had to stay at a Hyatt

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I think this is a specific corporate policy, as I know some companies (many in the government contracting business) keep the points in a corporate account for use by the corporation.

We have had 2 different corporate travel companies in my current company, and I have always gotten my points.

I have also booked through travelocity and gotten my points.

I do have friends that have companies that take their point whether booked through a company travel agent, or by that person.

They figure they paid for the trip so they own the points.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

p.s. when accepting a job with a lot of travel, which I do not mind, I always insist on choice of vendors with certain price ranges, and keeping all my points (contractually, in writing)

sunnysmiles Gold

Yes, this just happened to me, so I googled attempting to learn more info and here I am.  I'm required to use Egencia, and, according to Marriott, Egencia used Expedia so I don't get reward nights.  I learned of this at check in when asking why Marriott didn't have my floor preferences having me on the 3rd floor instead of the 1t.  The GM is the one who checked me in, and she said I booked through Expedia and Expedia doesn't pass the rewards or preferences information.  I use Egencia for both Hilton brands and an occasional Holiday Inn, and have never had this problem.  The other chains put me on the floor I want and have my information there at check in.  GM said it may be because Marriott offers reduced rates on Expedia.

All I know is that I travel a lot, and find it very irritating to arrive at Marriott at 9:40pm after a long day only to learn that I don't have my floor preference PLUS do not get rewards.  Not to mention there are no room upgrades so guess what no refrigerator to put my nice meal leftovers in rather than waste them.  They brought me a portable fridge and supposedly moved people to give me my 1st floor preference after saying the hotel was full, but the fridge didn't cool well.  Then tried to bring me a second fridge because they didn't know I received the first one 2 hrs prior, pounding on my door sometime after 11pm at night unannounced then ringing the phone so I missed the last couple of minutes of the movie I was watching.  Nice?  I learned my lesson.  I will book at Marriott less.  Even though I like the brand, I will not travel every week with no perks and surprise!!! no rewards. What good is Marriott gold when I can't even get my floor preference without calling directly and ignoring company policy?  If I stay at Hilton brands, I get all the things I ask for so have reserved 3 weeks with them next month.  If I do need to stay at Marriott, I'll call direct.

sunnysmiles Gold

I should also say that Marriott is my preferred brand, I just don't stay there as frequently because often there isn't one convenient in the places to which I travel.  I like the Courtyards, and my 2nd favorite hotel stay ever was at J.W. Marriott at Southbeach.  All things considered though, unless there are policy changes demanding warning people when they book that they get no preferences or rewards, not even so much as the bill under the door for speedy checkout, well then I'll just be Diamond Hilton this year instead.  I have a Marriott gold card they kindly gave me, but didn't even get a speedy checkout lol:)  I did NOT choose Expedia and didn't even know what was done until I arrived.

btw I'm typing this from a Hampton in New York.  I change towns tomorrow and am staying at Hilton Garden Inn.  2 nights this week were my no rewards Marriott stay:(  boooooooooooooo

fsulaw1 Platinum 2 Reviews

AM I correct that this would mean bookings on points thru the chase ultimate rewards site?  My question is do you get your elite rewards upon arrival at the hotel when booked thru UR points?

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there,

Points earned during a billing cycle will be automatically transferred to Marriott Rewards after the end of each billing cycle, which means you would book point redemption stays on the Marriott site as you normally would.

Does this answer your question?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...