14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 2:19 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Phantom Reservations???

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone every made a reservation, and then been called by the property to ask you how you got the reservation when they have been sold out for months?

This just happened to me, and it has not happened before in all my years of staying at Marriott.

I booked a property with my Cat 1-4 certificate.  I wasn't certain I was doing it right so I called Platinum Support.  They confirmed it was correct, and that they could see the reservation in the system.

Also printed off the reservation to have hard copy and sent a copy to my hotmail account I use when traveling.

Less than an hour later I had the property calling and asking me how I managed to get the reservation.  They also told me they called reservations to ask why they booked the reservation.

I informed them that actually I had booked it online in the newly released Rewards & Cash option, using my Cat 1-4 Certificate.

So they canceled my reservation for tonight.  Luckily I was not on the road yet!

I reminded them of my platinum lifetime status, hoping they might find space for me, and they offered me points.  While I like the points, I would much rather have the room, cause now I have to get up early and battle the NYC rush hour traffice to get there by 8am.

After I hung up and called back to confirm they were releasing my Cat 1-4 certificate, without even asking that added more points.

Seems they newly released software may have so problems, so be careful when you use it to book, as it seems to make reservations for non-existent rooms.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Somerset, New Jersey, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Somerset
  • Re: Phantom Reservations???
    richard37075 Platinum

If I am not mistaken, you should be eligible for "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee Compensation".  They should have found you a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience.

From Marriott site:

Ultimate Reservation Guarantee

If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand

See Link for web site page:

Marriott® Elite Member Benefits and Guarantees

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Wow!

Richard that is great information!

I sure hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!

Thanx Richard,

It looks like since its a Fairfield Inn and I am Platinum Lifetime as I told them on the phone, I am owed

-$100 USD

-2 Certificates

They did initially offer me 2000 points. When I called back to enquire about re-crediting me with my Cat 1-4 certificate, they threw in another 1000 points.

But it looks like I am due more than that

Who do I contact?

Platinum Support or the Property?

MR_Elite_charts_UltReservation.jpg

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi gemprincess, I wanted to get back to you on your inquiry. The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee applies if you're "relocated from the hotel upon arrival", so it wouldn't qualify in this case. I hope the extended drive into the city wasn't too bad after all and I'm glad the GM was forthcoming with the situation.

erc Platinum

So essentially this highlights the fact that Marriott properties could call you anytime prior to arrival and cancel your reservation without any lodger recourse or property repercussion (other than bad feelings - but we've seen where in the pursuit of the incremental dollar, gm's and others are willing to forego good customer relations). As someone who books months in advance to secure competitive rates, this concerns me that as occupancy rises, I could be given a call and told to 'take a hike'. Wow

Gem, did you at least receive any points (as initially offered) or just the return of your certificate?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

erc,   "take a hike" has been replaced by the less formal "given the heave ho".

I did get the points.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

So this means that if the property doesn't offer to relocate you, you don't get anything, either.  Is that right?

Only because I was late leaving the office or I would have been standing in their lobby. Also, I was holding a reservation at another property, but switched to the FFI as they were closer, and had already canceled the RI reservation.

I ended up arriving an hour late to the engagement due to traffic, and of course a wreck instead of rested.

erc Platinum

Wow - that's bad news. It seems like the more Marriott spreads out to different distribution channels the more these things are happening. Marriott in my opinion has gotten too clever by half in several areas, take a look at the pricing matrix for one of our favorite properties Gem, The Residence Inn Times Square - the "Special Rate" is the AAA rate - compare it to the the 'Standard' and the Rewards Offers rate - sheeesh, heaven help the poor soul who books the AAA rate thinking they are living under the BOOK RIGHT "confidence knowing you'll get our best rate available" (this is for Feb. 1-3).

Best wishes in pursuing the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee - I'm sure it will be a piece of cake!

Special rates from 289.00

Standard rates from 179

Room Packages - none available for your date

Marriott Rewards Offers from $152

Edited by erc -

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Off topic, but very interesting. Marriott just started the Seasonal Awards discount program. When I clicked on erc's info, the hotel came up as offering this 25% point discount.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Every time I click onto it, I get "Timed out" even though I just signed in and can go to other places, including "reply", which I'm now doing.

P.S.:  I can come back to edit or look at the room specs, but when trying to look at the rates link, "Timed out".

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Very strange indeed! I've already reach out to customer care to look into the reservations and hopefully see what went awry. Thanks for the info and more importantly your patience!!

The Continuing Saga of phantom reservations.

Well despite 2 calls to the property when they canceled, and their promises of recrediting my certificate, this did not happen.

and I guess since I was not physically standing in their lobby due to being behind schedule getting out of the office so they were able to get me on the phone, I am not entitled to $200 and 2 free room certificates as mentioned by other members previously on this thread, on the website, as clariified by CM.

So I called the plainum support number at 800-228-2100 per the website, though the automated response options are only for Gold and Silver members, there are none for platinum, and talked with a person, who said I would need to see one of 2 other desks for assistance.

I was transfered to 800-535-4028 which has options for each brand?  Now I know the brands are important to Marriott, and are probably the basis of their Profit and Loss system, but as a customer needing to fix a certificate that a property did not return as promised, being transferred from the support line to one of two desks (not certain which) the last thing I want to hear is a recitation of brands, so I stayed on the line and took the rotary phone option.

Finally the line was answered, and I was talking with Rich, who was appropriately knowledgable and sympathetic, and resolved the problems in seconds. Told him about the cancellation of a platinum reservation the day of, despite the recent TV show where they state they never cancel platinums, and he actually wanted to know why.  I suggested he get the property to explain, as I have no explanation.

This is the old Marriott I remember, and why I keep coming back.

Everything before talking to Rich is the new Marriott, which is scary and unattractive, as is the reporting of these incidents on MI, and having it fall on deaf ears.  The frustrations of other MIs are now starting to resonate with me.

Location Brand Hotel
    Somerset, New Jersey, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Somerset

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...