1 2 3 9 Previous Next 123 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 5:22 PM by eb5147 RSS

Question regarding qualifying rollover nights

sandiegogirl Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I earned Gold status in 2011, and Marriott Rewards granted me Gold status through the end of 2012. So I started 2012 with zero nights (no roll over nights) but already had Gold status for the year. So far in 2012 I have earned 40 nights. Here is my question - Since I already had Gold Status for 2012, and therefore none of the 40 nights earned this year qualified towards a higher level (and none were roll over nights from previous year), will any of these 40 nights roll over to 2013?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

If I understand your question correctly...

Your 40 nights in 2012 will qualify you for Silver status in 2013 (10 qualifying nights are needed for this status I believe).

As only 10 are needed, you will begin 2013 with 30 rollover nights (40 minus 10).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

that is my understanding as well.  i'm in the same boat.  i have 45 nights (started with zero) and will not make it to 50.  am expecting to go back to silver with 35 rollover nights.  oh boy, can hardly wait.   but as "ahnold" always says, "i'll be back."

• 3. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    dfergie1973 Platinum

You will probably see an option to buy back your elite status in February 2013(from my understanding, Marriott will send an email out for those that didn't meet their limit for the year).  I believe for Gold, it will cost 25,000 points.   Something to consider.

• 4. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights

thanks for the info, fergie.

• 5. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    dfergie1973 Platinum

Anytime.  Don't you get your email, call into Marriott Rewards in February.

• 6. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    Athleticman Platinum

Maybe this is a good thing, I also have 44 nights and don't think I'll hit 50 this months, so with the rollover, I'll start 2013 with 34 nights, and will only need 16 for gold, and then I'll be as close to the 75 for Platinum as I've been in many years. So getting close to 50 but not going over will make it easier to reach platinum next year right?

• 7. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Pluto,

I would call Marriott Customer Service now, and ask them how close you'd have to get to keep your Gold Status.  I have had them add a note to my account stating that if I got within a night or two, that they wouldn't drop me back from Platinum, based on my previous years loyalty and stays with Marriott.  Never hurts to find out if maybe you could accomplish it with one or two nights stay.  Especially since you're still in the MegaBonus timeline also. Might be cheaper to keep it, than to try and buy it back.

• 8. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    sandiegogirl Gold 5 Reviews

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try giving CS a call again and see what they say. The last girl I talked to had no idea and kept telling me nights only rollover once - not sure she understood what I was asking at all.

• 9. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights

Thanks, tryt.  If they keep me at Gold, I would probably loose all of my rollover nights, right?  Trying, or rather needing to retain Gold one way or another for next year depends on my travel plans for 2013.  Two months ago, I thought I had everything mapped out, but as happens in life, things have been unraveling considerably.  I really don't know what's in store for 2013 at this point!  Taking the rollover nights and shooting for Platinum by the end of next year sort of has my attention.  It's a lot to think about.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• 10. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

sandie:

The CS rep was actually correct and that is a small but important detail that has to be remembered. If you rollover any amount of nights from a particular year (let's say your 30 from this year), you will not have any nights that will rollover from next year until you have more rollover nights than the previous year. So, if you rollover those 30 this year you must have 31 above a level to get 1 rollover night next year. They take back the 30 you 'rolled' before you get any more the next year. It's virtually impossible for you to get rollover nights next year if your staying pattern follows the same as this year.

For example, you have 30 rollover and if you stay 40 like this year you achieve Gold and will have 70 nights but that's only 20 above the Gold level so...no rollover nights next year because you didn't achieve the 31 needed to get one. Even if you stay 31 nights over the Gold level (or 81 nights total) that puts you into Platinum (a good thing) so you only have 6 nights over that level. So, the ONLY way you can get a rollover night is to stay 31 nights over Platinum, or 106 nights......so, that's why they say nights only rollover once. It can be confusing........

A better way to say it would be how I look at it...nights only rollover every other year. If you look at your activity page on marriott.com you will know how many nights rolled over from the previous year as they have a line item total for 'rollover nights'.

• 11. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    vickisocal Platinum

If you do not requalify for Gold this year you wil have no rollover nights in 2013. Rollover nights are nights earned above and beyond those needed to requalify for your current status. You can't fall to a lower level and get rollover nights above that level.

• 12. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights

By the end of last year (2011) I had earned exactly 50 nights, and was promoted to gold status.  I therefore began 2012 with a status of gold and NO rollover nights.  I have earned 46 nights this year (2012).  You are saying that if I don't requalify as gold (50 nights by Dec. 31st) that I will roll back to silver in 2013 with NO rollover nights?  I would think I would roll back to silver with 36 rollover nights.

• 13. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights
    vickisocal Platinum

Nights exceeding those needed to requalify for your CURRENT status rollover. Marriott doesn't reward you for falling to a lower status, they want to incentivize you to stay more, not less!

• 14. Re: Question regarding qualifying rollover nights

okay, well I asked because your answer contradicts all other answers on this discussion.  It makes sense, I suppose, but it still contradicts other replies.

1 2 3 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...