56 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2014 2:17 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Favorite NYC Restaurants?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What are your favorite New York City Restaurants?

I will be returning to one of my favorite this week for brunch.

Its owned by one of Josephine Baker's many adopted children, Jeran-Claude.  He has named the restaurant after his mother, Chez Josephine.  A really fun place for brunch, and very close to the port.

http://www.chezjosephine.com/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
New York, New York, USA Autograph Collection The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Favorite NYC Restaurants?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP,

If I had just one meal in NYC, it would be:

Smith and Wollensky's

Most of my "Old" favorites are gone:

Quilted Giraffe was one of them.

The wonderful barge under the Brooklyn Bridge is another favorite, "The River Cafe"!

Thanks for bringing back great memories!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

JC,

I know several of mine are gone or under new management.  Also, I haven't spend as much time and money on this.

Some of my new found favorites are the street food, especially the halal vendors.  When I am on my own, or with other foodies, this is my first choice.  Unfortunately this weekend I am with others, thanking them for help, and afraid they might be insulted. Since they like French, am taking them to Chez Josephine that I was introduced by another foodie friend and fellow frequent traveler.

The NYT has a great list, that was republished in The New Yorker.  The picture at the top of page 1 is of typical halal fare which consists of marinated chicken cooked on the grill over rice with salad and all drenched in the famous white sauce.  Often I skip the rice and have them put the chicken over the salad.  They also offer lamb and fallafel.  And many sell hot dogs as well.  Another article bemoans the replacement of the hot dog with halal.

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/33527/

http://streetvendor.org/vendys/finalists/

GP,

There are so many "Bad deals" in NYC dining, but I agree with you.  There are so many great "Vendors"!

I personally found the "Popeye's Chicken" to be my favorite lunch stop just on the North side of Times Square!

Likewise the Ho-Jo, on the North side of the Marriott is a wonderful place for breakfast!

JC,

I am a big Popeye's fan ever since they opened their first store in WDC.  Now we even have them in NJ, and there is one right near the house.  I love the fact that I can get corn on the cob, all year long, from a fast food restaurant.  Since I enjoy them so much at home, I usually try something I can not get a t home.  There is a halal vendor (39th & b-way) right around the corner from the Residence Inn Times Square South (6th bet 38th & 39th) which is my favorite.  Its so convenient to run out and get lunch or dinner for $5, and take it back to the hotel in the bad weather which is more like a studio apartment, or sit at the tables and chairs they now have on b-way in the good weather.  I eat there so often, they actually think I live in NYC, and travel alot.

GP,

You and I think alike!

There is nothing like a $5 Popeye's when staying in Times Square!

The other place I love to go is The Dukes, another great place for breakfast or lunch between The Marriott and The Courtyard.

08-24-2011 09;26;40PM.JPG

My Buddy, Dave, and I would dine there every morning!

Thanks for the memories!

erc Platinum

Three places in NYC that I've had consistently good meals and enjoyable times, frequently prior to a matinee are;

http://www.eataly.com/restaurants

http://www.brooklyndiner.com/menu.htm

http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/Times_Square.php

As an interesting side note - Marriott was once a franchisee of Popeye's and occasionally Al Copeland the founder, could be bumped into at headquarters. He was a personable, colorful, friendly guy who left us much too soon.

I've given up on 'faves', too many of them like Quilted Giraffe, eventually close, just reminding me how old I'm becoming.

I completely forgot about some of my new favorites that my cousins introduced me to (and luckily paid for...I did not see the bill but I suspect they are expensive)

• Le Chat Noir -  the food was wonderful.  They have these truffle oil french fries that are to die for.  The fixed price menu is actually quite reasonable.  Sat outside in the spring and really enjoyed it.  Also subscribe to their newsletter, as I just like looking at all the dishes, special occasions and the occassional celeb that frequents the place.

http://www.lechatnoirrestaurant.com/m_dinner.htm

• Park Avenue Autumn  - this restaurant changes everything, including the name for each of the seasons, so in December it will becom Park Avenue Winter, in the spring its Park Avenue Spring.  The entire interior decor changes, along with menus, etc.  Rather interesting concept.

http://parkavenyc.com/autumn/

http://www.nycgo.com/venues/park-avenue-winter-spring-summer-autumn

• Gramercy Tavern  - has been listed as one of the top restaurants by Zagat for years now.  Always wanted to try it, but both prices and getting a reservation are a bit intimidating.  My cousins wife doesn't let things like this get in her way, so I eventually got to go last year.  http://www.gramercytavern.com/

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

GemPrincess,

One of my faves which is located in the Theater District is Joe Allen.

Joe_Allen_welcome

326 West 46th Street

New York, NY 10036

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Hmm.  So many choices (most of which I've forgotten), but I have a basic rule. Almost no "deli" or pizza place in Manhattan is real any more, you need to get out at least to Brooklyn, Queens, or beyond to find true homemade stuff.  That being said, I'll always drop in to Ben's Deli (Ben's Delicatessen Online), and if I think my budget can handle it, Gallagher's (Gallagher's NY Prime Steakhouse Since 1927) (their best deal is breakfast at EWR Terminal C).

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Gallagher's is closing in January.

Oh, noes!  Which one? Or the entire chain?

They may not be closing after all, but are trying to sell.  When they filed the WARN with the DOL, everyone assumed they were closing.  But, apparently, the filing is a formality in case the negotiations fall through.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/gallaghers-to-close-its-long-running-show-off-broadway/

There is a Gallagher's Newark Airport.

Are they affliliated?

Hopefully not closing as they are always very crowded.

Yes, that one is part of the "chain", as well as one they opened in Vegas.  The breakfasts at the airport location are worth taking a later flight for!

I had a really nice dinner there before an transatlantic flight which put me off to sleep immediately after take-oo

Interesting that you mention Ben's

I just tried them last month when I was in town, and really like the food.

They even pickle the tongue they serve on site.

While I have lots of them, here are a few favs in no particular order:

Saju on W. 44th

Meson Sevilla on W. 46th

Pigalle on 8th at W. 48th

Victor's Cafe on W. 52nd

Scarlotto on W. 47th
    Puttanesca on 9th at W. 56th

Am planning to try a new Druze Restaurant in NYC.  Its the only Druze restaurant I am aware of in NYC or anywhere else outside of Israel.  Anyone tried this type of food before?

http://www.gazalasplace.com/

Another interesting restaurant I plan on trying in the upcoming month, Turkish Kitchen.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/turkish-kitchen/

I tried one of the pedicabs in NYC when I couldn't any other taxis to stop.

The fellow peddling was from Turkey so we got to chatting about Turkish food, and I took the opportunity to ask where the best Turkish food is in NYC.

He said Turkish Kitchen was his personal fav if he was going out to eat.

Obviously homecooked is probably better.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Please try Elio's (2nd ave between 84 and 85),  Italian fare.  Been going there for 25+ years.  Some waiters there the whole time.  A bit on the expensive side, but well worth it.   By the way, wednesday is meatball day.............

thanx shoeman for the suggestion!

I will try it!

I will look forward to your comments.

shoeman1000

Am following up on your suggestion of Elio's for an upcoming get together with friends from out of town.

They have a very interesting menu, and are not outrageously expensive for being so well-known.

The upper east side may be a challenging location for this get together since everyone is arriving and departing out of Penn Station and the Cruise Port.

http://www.allmenus.com/ny/new-york/249367-elios-restaurant/menu/

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/elios/

http://www.nytimes.com/restaurants/1002207986276/elios/details.html

Hey gem

A couple of thoughts:

1.  It does have the feel of a man's place.

2.  the reviews on the link you sent were mixed.

that said, I eat at some very fine restaurants around the world and would put Elio's in the top rung of the list of Italian places.  It's that good.    No, its not crazy expensive, but it does run you over $100/person always, and can be much higher if the wine and vodka are flowing...........

I appreciate that you looked into it.

shoe

Hello Shoe,

Am trying to explore new places, so I appreciate the suggestion.

Given the group of people I am dealing with this time, it might not be the best match, as they don't want to spend very much, and while they have loosened the requirement of being close to Penn station, just am not sure given logistics of everyone arriving and departing out of Penn and the cruiseport, that it will work this go around.

Am saving for the next time.

My cousins live on the east side and eat in this neighborhood so am thinking when they return to NYC, this might be a great suggestion with them.  Money is no problem for them, but they are picky about food, and in Florence for the holidays, so maybe missing Italian food on the return.

I thought of another favorite of mine:  Aqua Grill.  210 Spring St.  at 6th Ave.

mid-moderate fish place in soho.  eveyrone I have taken there has enjoyed it.  give it a look-see and let me know what you think.

More NYC Restaurants proposed to friends for them to select our upcoming meeting spot

Initially the list had been limited to near Penn Station but was later opened up to restaurants further away from Penn Station.  Some appeared on various lists of the best restaurants near Penn Station like Go Go Curry and Artisenal, while others that were on the list were dropped as some folks did not like Korean food, or felt that Ben's Deli was too touristy.

1)    Le Chat Noir is on 66th between Park & 5th – this is a restaurant that my cousins introduced me to and has fabulous food.  One of their specialties is truffle french fries.  I really like their Salmon on a bed on lentils and brussel sprouts.  They also have a very nice prix-fixe option ($26/pp) with to die for mushroom soup (or green salad), salmon dish (or rigatoni) and floating islands which is meringue floating in crème ingles (hard to find this classic French dish anywhere).     http://www.bistrochatnoir.com/BistroChatNoir/Lunch.html

2)    Turkish Kitchen – on 3rd btw 27th-28th.  Very authentic Turkish food recommended by my Turkish friends as where they eat when I started missing Turkish food after spending 6 weeks traveling there.

http://www.viewmenu.com/turkish-kitchen-4/menu?ref=google

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/turkish-kitchen/

http://www.nytimes.com/restaurants/1002207994886/turkish-kitchen/details.html

3)    Plataforma Churrascaria – 49th btw 8th-9th – Excellent Brazilian food with an amazing gourmet salad bar with fresh hearts of palm if you are not into the Brazilian barbeque.  It’s also prix-fixe ($49/pp). 

http://churrascariaplataforma.com/packages.html

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/churrascaria_plataforma/

4)    Hallal Vendor Carts -there are several I like, but the most famous one that is written up is on 6th at 53rd.   All meals are $5, and you have a choice of chicken, lamb or falafel or rice and/or salad with tzaziki-like white  sauce and/or red hot tomatoe sauce.  This is where I tend to eat most of the time as its reasonable, fast and taste.  If you are interested I can move my hotel to 6th btw 38th-39th as its more like an apartment which would give us somewhere to eat. The different in lunch prices more than makes up for the difference in hotel prices. There are 3 carts near the hotel, and one also has Indian food (samosa, dosa, etc).

1)     Go Go Curry  - am actually a big fan of Japanese Curry (which is very different from Indian Curry). We use to eat it on a regular basis as you can buy the   seasoning packets in any Asian store, and then cook up your favorite meat and vegetables and add the packet.  Makes a very nice meal.  They have 3 locations in Singapore which is definitely a difficult market so they have to be pretty good.  They are on all the best lists near Penn station, and definitely most reasonable ($10/pp). I found it difficult to locate their menu on their website, so captured the menu once found below.

2)     Artisenaltheir specialty is cheese, but the seafood is amazing.  Menu is very French, with fish soup, croquet monsieur and I love the skate wing.  They also have a prix-fixe lunch ($29)  http://www.artisanalbistro.com/pdfs/current%20menus/LUNCH.pdf

3)     The Hill Country -  lunch specials of barbeque sandwiches, protein salads and Chili range in price from $9-12.   Dinner meat combination options run from $13 for the Brisket (Texan style), $20 for a meat combo, to the pit master for $26. There are also specials for 2 people ($51) or 4 people ($99).

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews

Balthazar!!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

If you like steak you can't go wrong with Capital Grille, Wolfgang's, Keen's, Del Frisco's, but IMHO Peter Luger's is overrated. They talk about how their special broiler is great at cooking beef but I went there once and ordered the porterhouse for two medium and it was barely medium rare. For the high prices and only being able to pay cash (don't get me started on that) I find it not worth going to.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Apparently I missed this thread in the first go-round.  Thanks for resurrecting it!

My favourite restaurants in NYC are:

Queen

Queen Italian Restaurant, Brooklyn New York, NYC Restaurants, Italian Restaurant, Brooklyn Heights

Megu

MEGU

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Italian spots we simply love and great to people watch as well.

http://www.carminesnyc.com/

http://www.sanmartinrestaurantny.com/San_Martin_Restaurant_New_York/Welcome.html

For some of the best guacamole made table side in NYC and also a great variety of mojito's.

http://www.iguananyc.com/

And almost forgot a great Asian spot.

http://chinchinny.com/

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

GemPrincess wrote:

What are your favorite New York City Restaurants?

I will be returning to one of my favorite this week for brunch.

Its owned by one of Josephine Baker's many adopted children, Jeran-Claude.  He has named the restaurant after his mother, Chez Josephine.  A really fun place for brunch, and very close to the port.

http://www.chezjosephine.com/

I Haven't been to many, but I really enjoyed wd-50.

erc Platinum

I've had terrific meals at Colicchio and Sons 85 10th Avenue Colicchio & Sons  at both (the two restaurants are next to each other) their 'fancy pants' dining room and their Tap Room (my favorite).

Thank-you everyone for contributing to our collective travel knowledge and experience.

I will try to compile a list, similiar to the travel reading list we now have.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I was just reviewing this thread, looking for dining options.  Does anyone have any more recent experiences to add?  Also, has anyone tried Penelope's in Midtown or Balthazzar's (French) in Soho?  Thanks!

Need something near/in the theatre district too.  Looking for a somewhat refined menu, but not too refined pricing (ha!)

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Not to prolong this discussion too long, but for a unique experience at a "out-of-the-way" restaurant, you might try

Lombardi's Pizza - SoHo (NYC) - 212-941-7994 (Not far from Ground Zero)

Thanks, Fred.  We will check it out.  For theatre night we are looking at Blue Fin, Scarlotto's or Esca.   Anyone?  Thanks.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Also, if you happen to be staying near LaGuardia Airport, or in Queens, the Trattoria L'incontro, 21-76  31St., Astoria, is one of the best Italian restaurants - among so many in NY area - that I've dined in recently - http://trattorialincontro.com

coupons Gold

did not read entire thread all of the restaurants that you mentioned are fine; can't say that one is better than another; each is great in their own right; you will be happy no matter your choice; what play are you seeing?

We saw The Real Thing.  Ewan McGregor's performance was just, - Wow.  We dined at Scarlatto's and enjoyed it.  Thanks for your input.

by the way, NOBU on 57th is fantastic!  I would rate it in the top of the list of sushi restaurants,,,

nursshark Gold 4 Reviews

Go to the Chelsea Market---can eat your way through the place.

Located at the High Line Walkway.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I think this is one of those threads that can live on forever since the dining options are endless!

I spent last weekend in NYC and had dinner across the bridge in Brooklyn that I've been raving about. A new place (4 months old) called The Gorbals. The Gorbals Brooklyn

Absolutely delicious! And for you Top Chef fans, the Chef is Ilan Hall!

On our trip two weeks ago, we visited:

The River Cafe in Brooklyn (jerrycoin), Loved it.

Ignazio's in Brooklyn, good and lots of fun.

Scarlatto's (nhm), loved it!

Stone Rose Lounge at The Restaurant and Bar Collection in Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle, great relaxing ambiance for a mid-afternoon break.

Balthazzar's (aaronplatinum4life) was AWESOME!  One of the BEST meals I've ever had.  My NYC favorite.

Sea Fire Grill, very good but a little over priced (why charge $40 when $26/$28 will suffice, and is what we would pay for the same dish elsewhere?)

The 525LEX restaurant at Marriott Eastside provided us with a good meal also.

LOVE Chelsea Market and LOVE, love, love The High Line, nursshark!

I have also heard good things about Eataly (erc) and Esca ESCA - RESTAURANThttp://www.esca-nyc.com/our_restaurants.cfm.  Has anyone tried Esca or any of it's sibling restaurants?  How was it?

pluto77,

Great report, sounds like a wonderful time!

Glad you enjoyed The River Cafe!

This other place in NYC that was impressive was Smith & Wollensky's!  Never had a better steak than that place!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...