22 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2015 9:28 PM by vet77 RSS

Anyone stay at Gaylord Properties?

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I note that Gaylord Resorts has joined the Marriott family, with properties in TN, TX, FL, and DC. Looking at them a bit, they seem to be more akin to a luxury Disneyesque type of place, but still look pretty nice if I find myself wanting to vacation in one of those locales (I know: Me, vacation?). From a business travel perspective, I don't think they're suitable at all unless it's a convention onsite.  So, what're your thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Grapevine, Texas, USA
National Harbor, Maryland, USA
Kissimmee, Florida, USA
  • Re: Anyone stay at Gaylord Properties?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jk,

Yes, agree totally with you!

When in Nashville, I stay at the next door FF or the RI just South on Briley Pkwy.  I will visit Gaylord, but don't stay there for business.  It's nice, but just too busy for me!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

I certainly agree with you as it relates to the National Harbor (Oxon Hill, Md) property. There is a very nice (as of this writing a Cat. 4) Residence Inn just around the block and it usually runs $20-$50 less per night. If you want to participate with the Gaylord's atrium events (the atrium is impressive), stay at the RI and walk on over. I say take the savings (plus free breakfast on weekends and $11.50 per day parking savings) and the peace and quiet of the well run RI and get the best of both properties.

erc,

That sums it up!

That is a wonderful plan, and one I have used often.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

mksmith13 Platinum 2 Reviews

I stayed at the Res Inn National harbor for 6 months shortly after it opened. For the value stay there, with their courteous staff, and walk on over to the Gaylord for a tour....

netmgr Platinum 7 Reviews

I've stayed at both the Gaylord & RI properties in National harbor (DC/MD). The Gaylord is simply a better hotel in terms of room quality, bed quality and zero room noise. I had an interior atrium room and it was an excellent experience. With that said, the RI was a good stay as well, only a very short walk to a number of bars/restaurants and parking. The microwave and sink options are nice at times. Probably the same distance as the bars/restaurants within the Gaylord (its a big place).  I like the Gaylord for the experience and bed quality, the RI for ease of access. You'll enjoy both for different reasons.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I've found the one at National Harbor to be a unique experience.  If you're going, consider fighting for access to a high (interior) balcony - they're pretty impressive...

A couple earlier posts might be helpful:

ctreglia Gold 3 Reviews

Your general impression is correct. I haven't stayed at Gaylord Opryland since it joined Marriott Rewards, but I have stayed there several times previously for conventions.  It would not be somewhere I would stay for leisure except possibly during the winter when the Conservatory offers a climate controlled respite from cabin fever.  In general, the property is massive (and not in a good way) and extremely pricey from the restaurants to the parking to the spa.  The overall experience is contrived. For a real taste of Nashville, the Courtyard Downtown is my suggestion. 

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

I have stayed at the FL Gaylord several times for conferences.  It is huge but I have always been able to score a balcony room facing the atrium and during my downtown I have enjoyed sitting on the balcony people watching.  The food is expensive so it was nice to be on an expense account while staying here. 

ek37334 Platinum 12 Reviews

I have stayed at a few of them,

the Nashville Gaylord is BIG, so when attending a convention there expect to do a lot of walking or bring some skate shoes to make it easier. As it is on the north edge of town, you will travel down one of the parkways to get to the sights unless you want to go west and slightly north to the Mandrell mansion.

the Grapevine location is terrific, the hotel is much more compact then Nashville. Right outside the DFW airport and downtown Grapevine has a number of things to do an enjoy.

steve.tatum86 Silver 3 Reviews

I've stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Resort quite some time ago.  It was a great experience, however it was a little farther from the main strip than I prefer.  It's an easy cab ride though, and I'd say it's one of the nicer places to stay in the area.

mathlda1972 Gold 1 Reviews

We stayed at the Gaylord Palms in Florida for Christmas and it was wonderful.  We spent the week there and enjoyed all 4 Disney parks as well.  This may become a tradition for my family.  I would strongly suggest it to anyone.  We'll definitely return this Christmas.

netmgr Platinum 7 Reviews

I've stayed at the DC Gaylord property and found it to be quite nice.  The room was on par with some of the best Marriott properties with all types of restaurants available.  Have stayed at the RI across the way and while the free food is great, the rooms were not of the same caliber. The downsides were the lack of free food (no concierge,) and its a long walk to the front door, parking etc.  But, for a full service hotel, great rooms, great view the Gaylord is much better. hard to go wrong with either property when visiting DC. Just be aware the metro is not close and a car/taxi will be necessary.

elfcpa Gold 1 Reviews

Stayed in the Texas  location.  It is a first class hotel with restaurants to match with unique hotel accomodations like no other Marriott hotels.  Great to stay for  weekend or for convention.  However, not the greatest place to go with kids for the weekend since there is not much for them to do in my opinion.  However, if you are looking for a place to relax or a romantic getaway, eat well, enjoy the pool or spa, enjoy great surroundings, then this is the place.

Also not for the budget minded.

sunshine446 Platinum 3 Reviews

I stayed in the Florida location. We got a nice balcony room overlooking the Atrium which was very nice. It is quite a unique experience, well worth doing at least once. and more if you have kids with you. My husband and I enjoyed the hotel.

ajapuff Platinum 4 Reviews

I have stayed at the MD Gaylord for a conference - it is far from DC in terms of access.  Expensive cab ride and seemed to Disneyesque for me.  I love the sculpture on the beach by the seafood place though - walk down and see it. I would not chose it again for business and too far from the sights of DC to take the family.

lucy2go Platinum 4 Reviews

I have stayed at the Nashville property on a business trip and just loved it.  As I entered the lobby certianly it gave me the feel of theme park and it was fun.

Will be interesting to see how they will do under the Mariott umbrella.

Am at the Nashville property for the first time.  Not my cup of tea - my detailed (cranky old man, bitter business traveler) review is here: Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center ....  I like the DC property at National Harbor much better...

ssindc,

Couldn't agree with you more!

Might have a dinner at Jackson's and did enjoy that, but would never stay there again.  Try the FF across the street and walk over.  Save yourself a lot of money.  Other option, stay at the RI not far away, it is a little "Dated", but is way more relaxing than Opryland.

OK, another mini-peeve on the Gaylord Opryland.  I just realized that I got excluded from a 3,000 point bonus during my stay at the Gaylord.  Here's the details: https://www.marriott.com/specials/mesOffer.mi?marrOfferId=822200&displayLink=true

Make memories at Gaylord Hotels. Experience magnificent settings, luxurious guest rooms and world-class entertainment all under one amazing roof, at four perfect locations.

From July 8 - September 30, 2013, stay any night and our Elite exclusive offer includes:

• - 3,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points per stay
    • - $25 resort credit per stay

Participating hotels include the Gaylord Opryland (that's where I stayed), Gaylord Texan, Gaylord Palms and Gaylord National.

Rates range from $169 plus tax, resort fee and parking. Limited availability, book your stay today!

Please see below for additional terms and conditions.

Ah, but what do the terms and conditions say?

... Offer does not apply to groups. .... Not retroactive. Guest must book reservation using promotional code listed above in order to receive bonus points. ....

So - if you're planning on staying at a Gaylord anytime soon, be sure to check your reservation for the magic code in advance....

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I will not stay at them because they all charge resort fees.  They, like other hotels that charge resort fees, make up a list of perceived "benefits" that this resort fee pays for.  However, if given the option, one would not pay that price for those services.  Since they do not give an option to avoid the resort fees, I simply do not stay in them.

Although many of them "look" like nice properties, I don't find their food services (that I've experienced) to be any better than elsewhere.

I had always thought Marriott was a company of high moral standing, so it disappoints me that they would buy into a chain which charges these resort fees to all comers.  The brand holds a negative connotation for me and if I see "Gaylord" associated with the hotel's name, I am not interested in booking it.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I might stay at the Nashville one.  It seems to be a decent rate when I will be traveling there.

vet77 Platinum

Stayed at Gaylord Palms in January 2014 for business.  Fifth floor Atrium room over lobby restaurant was noisy and couldn't get decent sleep first 2 nights and asked to be moved to quiet area.  Moved to another 5th floor Atrium room but turned out it was over elevator opening that seemed to be major entry area back room areas to atrium and resulted in a lot of noisy carts over concrete pavers.  Result was additional 3 nights of poor sleep.  I guess my idea of a quiet room is different from the front desk associates. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...