20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2014 2:24 PM by iahflyr RSS

Getting some PPE "love" from the Casa Magna in Cancun?

robertjpetersen Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Don't want to start blasting away until *after* I've stayed but my pre-stay at the Casa Magna Cancun isn't starting off so well.  As a multi-year Platinum Premier Elite (178 nights this year!) who carries the Marriott credit card I was kinda, sorta hoping for a little love while making a reservation for a December vacation.  We're taking the 3 and 5 year old for the week but the property won't guarantee me connecting rooms nor does it look like they offer any perks for Platinum members.

As comparisons, last year we stayed in Key West and the property there guaranteed us a 2 bedroom + they offered us free buffet breakfasts.  Year before that in San Juan we were guaranteed a suite with separate sleeping/living rooms + they had a platinum lounge where we could grab a bite most anytime.  And about 6 years ago I stayed at the Cancun JW and was upgraded upon checkin to a huge suite + given free breakfasts.

Am I simply a victim of supply/demand where the Casa Magna Cancun doesn't have to do anything special to make enough money?  Is it worth starting a bigger fuss on MRI, TripA and/or other sites before visiting?  Should I do more than simply talk to Platinum Premier Services about it?

Not asking for the Presidential Suite or even the red carpet treatment.  But I was hoping that 911 lifetime nights (I just checked!) and 10+ years of global loyalty might be worth a *little* something to the property.  If anyone has any ideas on nice ways of making the situation better I'm all ears.  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cancun, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
  • Re: Getting some PPE "love" from the Casa Magna in Cancun?
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

You could call the corporate lines for Plat/Customer Care, but I have a feeling that unless they're willing to look into it further (as in making a call themselves to the property), the likely answer is that it's up to the individual property to determine the degree of guarantees over what is in the reservation (and fall back on existing bookings, seasonal considerations, etc.). Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you get rained out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Follow up: I made the orginal reservation throught the PPE line who called the hotel with no joy.  I called the hotel directly a few days later and was told that while they would try to accomodate me they won't pre-reserve rooms.  With a 21 day cancellation policy I felt kind of stuck.  That's when I posted.

I tried the Elite line one more time, who called on my behalf, but still nothing.  Then I went old school and wrote a letter to Marriott.  I complimented many, mentioned my years long loyalty, dropped the hint that I frequent tripadvisor and other sites like this one and included a picture of my kids in Key West from last year.

About a week later I heard from the front desk of the CasaMagna and they told me they had pre-reserved me rooms.  So while it appears to have all worked out, it did take more work than I would have thought.  I'll let y'all know how the trip went when we get back!

d20513 Platinum

i too had looked at this property for a winter family vacation.  I spoke with concierge and then GM, was given a similar song and dance.  Love Cancun, but wanted to know what i was getting, so we ended up booking back at the Hilton in Jamaica - as a diamond I am upgraded, and taken care of there, which is usually the case with marriott, but loyalty doesnt appear to matter at this property.  Will be interested to hear about your trip.  Enjoy!!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I am not a huge Cancun fan, as its a very touristy Mexican city, picked by a computer for the best weather and then built up to be a tourist stop.

If I am in the area, prefer Playa del Carmen, which is a real mexican city.

Puerto Vallarte is a very charming Mexican city with both the Mountains, and sand and sea. There is alot of history there with all the famous Mexican painters like Diego Riveria and Frida Kahlo.  You can even eat in the restaurant they all hung out in, and see some of the paintings and signed photos.  Or you can go to just outside of PV to where they filmed Night of the Iguana, and see where Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor stayed (2 separate houses connected by a causeway, along with Ava Gardner and Debra Carr which pretty much too PV at that time a fishing village and put it on the map as a vacation destination.

The Casa Magna there is fantastic.

Loved the dining room which had dishes from each of the Mexican states so you could take a culinary tour of Mexico.

Hotel was filled with local Mexican tourists which I thought was a good sign that it was really good attracing both local and foreign travelers.

Realized I never came back...anyway, we did end up with adjoining rooms upon checkin and all went well. Decent view but hardly top of the line. No one on site acknowledged the 'special' request nor did anyone from the staff check on us while we were there, but as all I wanted was some warm weather and time with the kids I can't complain. I probably would have been annoyed if they went out of their way to treat us as a special case as we are pretty low maintenance. 

I will say that all the reviews about dated rooms and nickel-and-diming are true. But it's Cancun and I knew fully what to expect. Appreciate those who offered alternative destinations but having direct flights is key with little kids so I was prepared to sacrifice a little luxury/privacy...just really didn't want to split the family to sleep for a week!

Speaking of taking little kids there: good kiddie pool, large lawn for 'coconut hunts' and a very easy walk to grocery and McD's.  Buses are very plentiful and make it easy to get to the outdoor mall, the downtown shopping district or to the Isla Mujeres ferry.  The ocean was pretty rough the whole time (last week in Dec) so we only swam there once.

Attached three pics taken on site. One of the rough surf we had most everyday, one of the swim up bar and one of the kids out on the lawn.  Good times.

Location Brand Hotel
      Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
        iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great pictures and glad you had a wonderful time.  Haven't been to Isla Mujeres in a looooong time, but remember well the lunch and shopping on the day trip.

Thanks for the report back.

How about just picking another property and hopefully a better experience.

I love the Puerto Vallarte Property!

There are the mountains, the ocean and a history to the town.

Location Brand Hotel
    Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Robert,

I too really like the Puerto Vallarta area, and the CasaMagna Marriott in PVR.  Puerto Vallarta is a town with a rich cultural past, so you don't feel like you are going to a town created just for the tourist industry.  If you ever go to the CasaMagna Puerto Vallarta Marriott, and are hoping for some love as a Platinum member, Simon (the Chief Concierge) has told me to have people contact him directly, and he will take care of them. 

Thanx Tryt,  Will keep this information for the next trip!  Always good to know the Chief Concierge.

Let me know if you want his direct email, and I will send you a private message with it.

Would love to have it. Will add to my address book when traveling.

buckeyefan Platinum

We are travelling to the Casamagna Marriott in puerto vallarta next Saturday.  My husband is a platinum member but we have not yet heard from the concierge. Could you send me his information?  Also, do you know the best transfer service from the airport?

Thank you kindly!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I have never heard of a Marriott concierge contacting a guest in advance of their stay unless the guest has contacted the concierge requesting specific services, accommodations, etc.  And, you apparentry have not done this since you don't have his contact info.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

They might be referring to the Virtual Concierge that is an option available for you to request any special things for your arrival.  It's contained within the reminder of stay email and I've used it with good results in previous stays at FS hotels a couple of times this year, both with a paid stay and also an award stay.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Oh, oh, oh...  Didn't think of that.  I've never used it.  Thanks.

Simon C. (head concierge) has been extremely friendly and helpful, and has encouraged me to have people contact him directly.  They take very nice care of Platinum, or repeat stayers.  Platinums get very nice service, and if you get some emails back and forth prior to the trip, they will many times meet me at the front doorman lobby and give me the keys without ever having to go to checkin.  By bags just show up when I get up to the room, and they always upgraded our room.  This time, they even had a card stating the room upgrades and other things they always give their platinum members!  I will be doing another review of my stay, a couple of weeks ago, as soon as I get caught up with myself.

Hi buckeyefan,

I will send you a direct message with Simon's email.  They can set up to have a taxi waiting for you, and if you do that, you can just keep ignoring everyone in the lobby until you see someone holding up a sign with your name.  The cost seems higher than the taxis are directly, but it's really not that much higher, because the taxis going out of the airport are hit with high tourist taxes, so you don't save that much trying to do it yourself.

swingingoak Platinum

I had issues with this property... Platinum here as well 9 years running with over 900 nights and was nickelled and dimed like crazy at this property. Accommodations were nice and we got upgraded but its an older property and the management was not good to deal with.

gcampbell24 Platinum

I have 2321 lifetime nights and get the same treatment.... They have diluted the program so much with the rollover night program that eveyone is platinum.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...