19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 2:17 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Branson, Mo. "Dining"!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There are many choices of places you can dine that will coincide with any budget!

Let me first say "Erc", really has a great point!  The first week in December is a wonderful time to enjoy The Christmas "Spirit" with reduced crowds, traffic, and some prices.  Likewise, I was told that Southwest Airlines is going to start flying into Branson.  That should make travel easier for distant travelers.  I would hope this means no more "Fog" problems like Pluto encountered.

As to dining, you will have all of your "Chain" dining that range from McDonald's to Texas Roadhouse.  You will have a lot of choices and I enjoyed a Montana Mike's Steakhouse meal.  One place that is really worth seeing and if one fine meal is in your budget, try "The Chateau on The Lake"!  Here are some photo's, you may enjoy:

IMG_2771.JPG

An impressive "Chateau", it overlooks Table Rock Lake, and is beautiful inside, but at twice the price of The R.I. is not for a lot of peoples budget.  Parking and visiting is FREE!

IMG_2770.JPG

View of Table Rock Lake and Dam.

IMG_2773.JPG

The lobby is modeled after a European Resort!  Note the "Gingerbread Houses"!

IMG_2775.jpg

Santa Claus is "Coming down the rope", in the center of the atrium!

IMG_2785.JPG

Wonderful Nativity Scene, note, the birdcages are housed with real parrots!

IMG_2812.JPG

View of lake from Dining Room table at Sunset!

IMG_2813.JPG

A grilled Caesar Salad, as well as other dishes was well done!  The picture does not do the salad justice!  Prices run around $35 pp.

Bon Appetit' in Branson!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Branson, Missouri, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Branson
  • Re: Branson, Mo. "Dining"!
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry,

Wonderful.  Thanks for posting.  Great news about Southwest, too (it would really be nice if the airport was IFR rated too).  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Pluto,

I have to think that the Branson Airport would have to now have IFR before Southwest would off service to Branson. 

Will shortly post activities and other attractions on a new post.

Angie, who is a front desk manager at The RI, told me she is flying out of Springfield to Las Vegas on Allegiant Air for something like $125 each way.  I have never flown Allegiant Air, so I don't know much about them!

Thanks for your comment!

Hi Jerry, I didn't think about that.  I'm sure you are right!  I've flown Allegiant Air to Las Vegas.  Perfectly good airline.  What I found is that while tickets can be very inexpensive (I've flown from Fresno to LV for $29-$39 each way), beware of add on expenses.  For instance, I can fly to Vegas for $35 each way.  Sounds good right?  Add on $43 for taxes, carrier charges and govt. fees, so now I'm up to $94.60 RT, if I use a debit card ($102.60 for credit card).  Now.  Do you want to pick your seats (flying w/someone and want to sit together?)  $14 for each leg of journey, so for a round trip 1-stop flight, add on $56/person.  Carry on bags?  Anything that will fit under the seat is free.  A standard carryon bag for my hypothetical Fresno-Vegas flight ups the anty by $26/leg, so $52 round trip for non-stops, or $104 round trip for 1-stop flights!  Checked bags are $39/leg.  So the fees can really add up and therefore can end up not being a good deal.  But if anyone is looking to fly really cheap, and doesn't mind where they sit (esp. for short flights, not really a problem), and can pack exceptionally light, it's a great deal and a perfectly good airline.  For me, it costs $140 (in gas) and  7 hours driving time one way to drive to Vegas.  That makes flying round trip for $94.60 a pretty good deal! 

pluto,

Good points!

Travel may get so expensive that it is out of control.  That is why I am doing it now!

erc Platinum

Between the shows, the holiday lights, and the meals, we had a terrific time in Branson. As I have written previously, I can eat four meals a day when I've got the holiday/travel spirit and Branson fit the bill. Here are some of the spots that we enjoyed (grab hold of the innumerable coupon books all around town);

Andy William's Moon River Grill - Our trip to Branson last year was motivated by the opportunity to watch Andy Williams' Christmas Show. Sadly a week before we arrived, they wrote us telling us he would be unable to go on. We dined here out of tribute to a great performer who provided us tremendous holiday memories. Quite frankly, I can't recall if we had a marvelous time here due to the nostalgic feeling, the food, or both, but we were so glad we went.

Florentina's (bogo) - Excellent Italian dishes - pretty artwork

Jackie B. Goodes - The friendliness of Branson was demonstrated here as we had a good buffet breakfast while watching (and talking to during the breaks) the talented Jackson Haney perform his guitar solo from Bill Haley's Rock Around the Clock. Any eggs taste great with entertainment like this.

Landry's Seafood - Yes, this is a chain, but the food was delicious (as we have observed in several other cities).They offered a happy hour meal special in the lounge (comfortable booth seating) where the exact same food was offered at a half price discount (we know it was the same, because we ate separate nights in both rooms).

Mel's Hard Luck Diner - Mel Tillis' restaurant was a blast. We had a fine lunch with tasty desserts, while being serenaded by very talented singers - a great time. This is what Branson is all about, great food, terrific performers, and friendly warmth with no stuffiness whatsoever.

There were several other places that we dined at  (like the Rowdy Beaver Tavern - great t-shirts!) but in my opinion, you can hardly go wrong - pick out what looks interesting and enjoy.

erc,

Thanks so much for sharing the details of some of the interesting places to dine in Branson!  I forgot all of the "Coupons" available for shows and entertainment.  The RI has it's share and offers good advice on shows and dining.  They have their own "Go to Guy" for entertainment tickets.  He works exclusively with The RI, and does not cost any more, but the tickets are actually delivered to the hotel.  Saves you a lot of time and trouble!

erc, here is some other information:

Florentina's:  Is located near The RI, and is a colorful place to dine, but try to get reservations, especially on week-ends.

Mel's Hard Luck Diner, is a "Hoot", located across the walk from the Christmas Store.  There is also a wonderful "Gourmet Food Shop" a few doors down in this  nice group of specialty stores.

I am sure we will hear of more appropriate places to dine in Branson!

Erc and Jerry,

Thanks for all of the great dining info as well as other info.  My mom has never been to Branson, and would like to go during the Christmas season.  I'm also glad to read the reviews on Florentina's.  I'll look forward to trying it someday.

pluto,

One way I keep my "Travel Stress" down, is try to avoid the overly crowded places to dine, and get carry-out.  Especially, when you have a dining room.  Florentina's is located about 1/2 way from both The RI, FF, and Marriott time share.  I also like to get carry-out from Texas Roadhouse.  We can actually get a single order and split it, so a $10 entree can go a long way!

Lastly, erc is really got a great point on using the "Dining coupons"!

BTW,  this is what you want to avoid, or get their early, and that is "Gridlock", crowds and "Lost drivers". 

IMG_2796.JPG

This photo was taken from my car last Saturday in Downtown Branson.  This is what Main Street looks like in front of the "The Branson Diner"  Enjoy!

erc Platinum

Aah jerry my man, you've revved up my memories of the great time I
        had in Branson, thanks for the efforts. I'll call your Chateau on the Lake (and
        it was, like you described, lovely) and raise you a Grand Village Shops photo
        with my most favorite person in the world (don't try this at home, we're
        trained professionals on a closed course).

Branson 12_2011.jpg
        Once again your expertise is confirmed, the Mulberry Mill was a fascinating
        shop of goodies. We bought some cheeseballs (including but not limited to,
        white chocolate cranberry and white chocolate amaretto - notice a theme?) to go
        with our Stone Hill Winery (right there in town) wines and had a great happy
        hour in the room.

erc,

What a great picture!

I could not remember the name of "Mulberry Mill", but that is a "Must" for just having the "Free food Samples"!  I travel a lot and carry some food from there just about everyday.  I am looking at two items I purchased there this week-end:

Dillman Farm makes "Cherry Amaretto Preserves", that I have on toast most mornings.

Dillman Farm, "Sweet Pickle Relish", for my hot dogs, brats, it's a must!

You might remember this:

IMG_2778.JPG

The menu at The Grille is diverse and quite good.  (This is hard to see and they are hard to shoot because of the glare)

IMG_2786.jpg

Could not resist, "Getting in the picture"!  erc, thanks for the comments!

Jerry, what an exquisite menu.  Everything on the menu sounds divine.  Nonetheless, I hope you will be eating traditional American 'comfort' food on Thanksgiving Day!

Had the trout (Local) and the cornish game hen, both were very good and the server was from Turkey, Aziz, he did a wonderful job!

I am hoping that my favorite server at the CY in Boise is still there.  He's from France, and it was a pleasant surprise to be able to speak some French and talk about France w/someone here in America.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

It might take me all evening here.  I would take forever trying to decide which one I wanted to order.  You're always afraid to miss something when you have to narrow it down to one or two choices!  I love a LOT of their menu items, and would love to try a lot that I've never had, just by reading the descriptions.  Thanks!

tryt,

I don't know how you could even read the menu!  It was so difficult for me to see, but a nice selection.

It was a very good dining experience!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

When I clicked on the menu to open it, it was too big and I could only pan over to about 2/3 of the menu.  I found that if I clicked on it and specified to "open in new window", it was a lot smaller and I could zoom into just the level I wanted to read, and control it better that way.  This was using Chrome browser, but you might try that to see if it you can see it better that way.

tryt,

Thanks for the information! 

Will try it out!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Jerry,

You are right The Chateu on the Lake is an excellent place to visit and dine while in Branson.  The views are really nice there and the food is really good.  I would also recommend the Branson Landing Dinner Cruises.  Great scenery and food.  At the end of the cruise you get a great view of a fountain & light show that takes place at the Branson Landing development.  

Main Street Lake Cruises Landing Princess Branson, Missouri - Branson on the Web

Southwest which now owns Airtran is replacing the Airtran service with Southwest Service in early 2013.

Southwest to assume AirTran's Branson service in 2013 - Milwaukee - The Business Journal

vaboywnder,

Great information!

That is so helpful to many folks!

Please keep us all informed!