55 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2013 5:57 AM by profchiara RSS

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  How do you plan to spend your Thanksgiving Holiday?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

How do you plan to spend your Thanksgiving Holiday?

Do you plan on traveling, or staying at home?

What family traditions do you look forward to observing?

Any  special holiday receipes to share?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  How do you plan to spend your Thanksgiving Holiday?
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

We plan on leaving on Thanksgiving for Marathon, FL in the Keys.  Check-in is Saturday, so holiday travel is easy and it will give us 2 full days and most of another to get there, and almost 2 days to get back a week later.  So my son and I will be going back home this Sunday to get some things, including some winter clothes, and taking things back there to come back to AL on Monday or Tuesday. 

No traditions here since our families are both in TX and MO, so our new tradition is to travel. 

One thing we learned a few years ago is to not go to Myrtle Beach on Thanksgiving.  Nearly everything was closed.    

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  How do you plan to spend your Thanksgiving Holiday?
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

It's just two days of lost billable work for me, plus the added thrill of having to travel with thousands of people that honestly shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an airport. I'll be getting home this Saturday (instead of Friday because this week's client was closed on Veteran's Day so that's my travel day out), and back out Sunday (because the next client wants three days of my time and will be closed on Thanksgiving). Flight home will be Wednesday night if lucky, most likely Thursday morning.

The plans are to catch up on everything not getting done, and prepare for the following week. No time, interest or bothersome family to compel me to participate in any festivities, but at least email and phone will be quiet so I can actually get something accomplished for a change.

So yeah, you can bet that I just love "holidays."

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Wishing the kids weren't so spread out.  Back to Boise next Tuesday for a Boise Thanksgiving with our eldest, her boyfriend and his family.  Driving this time (will stop in Sacramento on the way and get all of my Honda keys reprogrammed ), oh boy!  10K on Thanksgiving morning, and cooking the rest of the day.  Staying at my favorite Courtyard in the whole world, Meridian/Boise West, with the breakfast rate, which is a good deal.  Called them yesterday, NO Bistro.  Yay!  Not scheduled to remodel with the bistro until 2015, and they are fighting it.  Hoping they prevail.

Very fun to sit around the marble/glass table top fire pit, all bundled up with a glass of wine at Boise West CY.

Boise West-Meridian Fire Pit 1.jpg

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks, GP for asking this question.  My wife and I are thankful that we will be traveling (flying) to South Carolina (we'll be among the thousands that are actually looking forward to traveling) where we'll be able to spend several days with our parents, and our three children who will meet us there with their families (there's no better way to spend our time than with those we love). (Like pluto, our children are pretty spread out.)  I don't know how to cook, so my favorite tradition is to just EAT!  And since we won't be home till the weekend, we'll be watching the Huskers on TV on Friday.  One thing is for sure, for all of next week, work won't even be an afterthought.

Every Thanksgiving that I can remember pretty much has looked like this:  kids very busily and happily playing, the guys gathered 'round the tv with football on, the gals in the kitchen cooking and yakking up a storm.  Everybody happy and laughing, catching up on visiting and having a grand time.  Dishes?  No problem.  Last year we had so much help in the kitchen that the whole family actually got to sit in the living room together for a relaxed visit prior to the meal.  It doesn't get much better than that!

Hoping that all MR Insiders will have a terrific and safe holiday.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

What about you GemPrincess -- what are your plans?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

We host a Thanksgiving Day open house on most years. Last year we hit the beach and had a great week. The meal was a tad lonely, but it felt good without the hustle and bustle for once.  This year, we're back to our hosting duties.

We'll start with a brunch around 9AM til 11:30AM. Give or take 20 attendees. Most of my local family (2 sisters, 2 brothers w/ families) will arrive early. We put out a nice spread of REAL bagels with all the trimmings, an egg/sausage/cheese casserole, hot and cold cereals, fruit salad, and beverages. It's very relaxing and features lively banter.

The next round starts at 1PM. Head count around 25. Mrs. Pain's group ( 2 sisters, 2 brothers) and a local family down on their luck will be our guests. A large bird with 2 additional turkey breast and the traditional sides will be served around 4PM.  Someone mentioned dishes.....that is the most hectic part of the day..keeping up with the dishes. I suggested we try Chinette this year and almost had to sleep in the garage.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We'll be heading to Arkansas for a few days.  We will spend time with my brother in Little Rock, then head to Fayetteville for a football game that, at the beginning of the season, might have determined who would go to the National Championship game from the SEC.  Now, it would just be nice to win a SEC game.  Fall is a little late arriving and the trees are still somewhat pretty so the drive should be nice.

We will have Thanksgiving dinner with my brother.  I'll be making some of our Thanksgiving favorites: turkey, dressing (sure wish I could make it like my grandmother did), broccoli/rice casserole, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with a praline topping, cherry/coke salad, waldorf salad, and a variety of desserts.  I know the broccoli/rice casserole and cherry/coke salad recipes by heart, but the written recipes I have are in my mother's handwriting and my grandmother's handwriting.  They were both much better cooks than I am, but I try hard. I made brownies, peanut blossom cookies, and pecan pie squares today (pained, I thought about you today when I made these ), but it wouldn't surprise me if I didn't have to make something else by Thanksgiving.  We may actually have our Thanksgiving dinner before Thursday so we can enjoy the leftovers before we head to Fayetteville.

I hope all of you enjoy your day (even you, too, j) whereever you are.

turkey 2.JPG

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Flying home tomorrow!  Will host a Thx giving dinner with family and friends. Many years ago we used to have about 40 people show up.  Now with many of the cousins grown up and family moved away, we are down to about half that!.  Will be nice to have the power back on. Son is coming home from college on Tuesday.  WIll watch the football games and eat lots of Turkey!  Will be nice now that we have heat again!

klaus29 Silver

whe  stay in the Marriott  phuket  beach club. i  take   my  car, and whe go to a nice  fisch restaurant, where whe eat  lobster and  fisch..

there whe  see  2  more stranger, all ather peaple  wars  thai.    very  good  place..  here in Marriott  you see  many  stranger and  2 or

3  Families  thai.

Here are a couple of recipes.

I don't know if you can consider the first one a holiday recipe, but somehow I got the bug last weekend to make some clam chowder (probably the cold, wet weather, and that I noticed that canned clams were on sale .)  I didn't have a recipe, so had to wing it, and it turned out so good, it may just be a pre-Thanksgiving tradition from here on out.  I had to make myself write it all down before I forgot what I did.  The second recipe is a squash casserole, that is full of flavor.  Both dishes are definitely comfort food, and not for those who may be calorie challenged!   Thanksgiving is a day to embrace calories, not hide from them.  Hope you enjoy.

clam chowder.jpg

Pluto's Rich and Creamy Clam Chowder

4 T. butter

1 C diced white onions

1 C finely chopped celery

1 C finely chopped carrots

3 cloves minced garlic

½ C cooked, crumbled bacon

Salt and pepper to taste

8 (appx. 7 oz.) cans chopped clams

1 can chicken broth

4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced small

1 quart half and half

1 C milk

3 T. flour

4 oz. softened cream cheese

In large stock pot or dutch oven, melt butter on medium heat.  Add onions and garlic, stirring often for about 3 minutes.   Add celery and carrots, bacon, salt and pepper.  Continue to sauté and stir mixture until onions appear clear, about 3-5 minutes.

Drain all clam juice from cans into pot.  Add broth and bring to a boil.  Add half and half, clams and diced potatoes.  Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Whisk milk and flour together and add to mixture.  Add cream cheese to mixture a spoonful at a time.  Continue to cook and stir until thick and creamy, appx. 10 minutes.  Garnish with parsley.  Serve with oyster crackers or saltines.  Serves 10-12.

To reduce calories, milk can be substituted for half and half, and cream cheese omitted.  For no mess convenience, I like to use the packaged pre-cooked bacon crumbles, which can be purchased at Costco or Sam’s Club.  If you want to use fresh bacon, then cut up the bacon and fry in bottom of pot first.  Set aside, and use the bacon grease in lieu of the butter to do the saute as above.

Squash Casserole.jpg

Squash Casserole

4 C. sliced yellow squash

1/2 C diced onion

35 buttery round crackers, crushed

1 C. shredded cheddar cheese

2 eggs, beaten

3/4 C milk

1/4 C butter, melted

1 t. salt

ground black pepper to taste

2 T. melted butter

Preheat oven to 400.  Boil or steam squash and onions until tender.  Drain and place in large bowl.

In separate bowl, mix together crackers and cheese.  Blend in half of the cheese/cracker mixture to the squash mixture.

In separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, then add to the squash mixture.

Stir in 1/4 C melted butter, and season with salt and pepper.

Spread mixture into 9X13 baking dish.  Sprinkle with the remainder cracker/cheese mixture and dot with the 2 T. butter.

Bake in pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

For some added flavor, sometimes I'll throw in green onions, chives or bacon bits.

erc Platinum

Like many, we host a big breakfast buffet, with family members arriving (daughters are home for holidays, cousins pop in throughout) before noon. This year the gang is actually going out to an afternoon dinner at Clyde's Willow Creek Farm in Virginia (they like to use local farmers - very Norman Rockwell setting) and then back to the big (this year) Cowboys - Redskins game. My cousin, the weasel, has rooted for the Cowboys (I just earned pain's support) ever since Clint Longley, and this year courtesy of RG III, I actually have a decent chance of shutting him down/up!

Somebody get some turkey over to jkernitzki. Hey Ebenezer, I'm in Scottsdale for Christmas, say the word and I'll treat you to a chimichanga at Manuel's (bring laptop, you can do some invoicing). Happy holidays to all.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

We will be at Seaworld, Universal, and Disney! 

(2) three bedroom condos at Marriott's Grande Vista for 9 nights. We fly down Thanksgiving morning. That's our son's 23rd birthday. Our son-in-law is just back from Afghanistan. So, our daughter, son-in-law, and grand daughter are driving from NC. My wife, my mom, and my mother in law are coming.

I think I am most excited!!!

Going to be great fun.

Thanksgiving dinner is at Magginano's. They have a special Family Style set menu.

genevaflyer Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi,

It will be the Bohemian in Savannah for 1 night, followed by 3 nights at the Hilton Head Marriott and Spa for us ..... a nice relaxing break.

GenevaFlyer

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

A perfect Thanksgiving Day View from our sail away of the Statue of LIberty at Sunset!

What could be more American?

Statue of Liberty - Nov 18, 2012.JPG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...