6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 4:46 PM by kharada46 RSS

Paris flights to Rome, ORY or CDG?

richard37075 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all.  My wife and I have been following all of the Paris and London posts with great interest.  But I do have a question to all of those that have traveled to Paris in the past.

We are going on our anniversary trip in May.  We are leaving Nashville via JFK and then onto LHR on Delta Biz.  We stopover in London for 4 nights then catch our flight over to Paris into CDG for 5 nights.  Our open jaw leg leaves from Rome after spending 4 nights there.

My question is:  CDG or ORY for my flight to Rome?  Flight times appear to be about the same, as well as points needed for the flights.  CDG has a bit higher taxes/fees on the flights for the same number of miles.  I am going to transfer some American Express Reward points to Air France for a one-way ticket to Rome.  CDG appears nicer, but definitely busier and takes a bit longer to get to.  I have a Amex Platinum card with Priority Pass for club lounges, so that could be a deciding factor as well.

Thanks again for any assistance.  Oh, and if it matters in decision making, we are staying at the Renaissance Paris ADT.

Richard

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: Paris flights to Rome, ORY or CDG?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Richard,

Well, one cool thing about the Ren. AdT, is that you're just a very short walk away from the Air France bus to CDG (appx. 14€), unless you prefer to spring for a taxi (about 60€).  I've flown from CDG to Venice (not Rome), but can't really speak to your flight question as I've never done it on points.  Our flight was one way, and I did find that it was cheaper to just purchase an RT ticket than a one way ticket (they really frown upon that, but no negative consequences), but again, as you're using points that's probably of no help to you.  Plan on one hour travel time to CDG.  I've never flown ORY.  Hopefully you'll get more responses.

Once you get to Rome, is your ground transportation sorted out?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

richard,

Can't help with the Paris to Rome part of your trip, but a couple of thoughts on your plans:

Where are you planning to stay in London?  First trip there?

One Thing you might want to consider, that might be a lot easier, save you a lot of time and probably some money is:

Staying at The Renaissance St. Pancras in London.  You could easily take The Eurostar (The hotel is in that station), and be in Paris in 2 hours 15 minutes.  Think of how much time it will take you to get back to LHR (One hour by taxi), and then you'll need 2 hours extra for security.  You would enjoy the Eurostar!

Upon arriving at Gare du Nord in Paris, you could take The RER or Metro to AdT, and literally walk a couple of blocks to The Ren AdT.

Please don't think I am trying to be "Pushy", and if I can help with details count me in!  I must tell you the less you have to deal with LHR or CDG, you will be a lot happier!  The taxi will cost you a minimum of $75 one way to/from LHR or CDG.

Richard, hope this makes sense!

richard37075 Platinum

To Pluto77:  Yes we have ground transportation handled in Rome, thank you though.  We are renting a VRBO and the owner has roundtrip transporation available.

to Jerry:

Where are you planning to stay in London?  First trip there? Yes, first time there.  We are staying at the Hyatt Churchill on my wife's points in a guaranteed suite upgrade.  We are using our Marriott points for 5 nights in Paris at the Renaissance ADT.

One Thing you might want to consider, that might be a lot easier, save you a lot of time and probably some money is:

Staying at The Renaissance St. Pancras in London.  You could easily take The Eurostar (The hotel is in that station), and be in Paris in 2 hours 15 minutes.  Think of how much time it will take you to get back to LHR (One hour by taxi), and then you'll need 2 hours extra for security.  You would enjoy the Eurostar!  We have a BNA-JFK-LHR Delta Bus. Class award ticket booked.  We are using London as the free stopover and then have a free BE Air France flight from LHR to CDG or we would be taking the Eurostar over for sure.  I am looking at the Delta site now for ground transportation.  You can actually get chauffered sedans with tip included from LHR and CDG for about $100 roundtrip.  We are flying to Rome as the open jaw portion of the trip.  We had planned to rent a car or take the train to get to Rome, but the time and effort was going to cut our time in Rome to short so we decided to just take the 2 hour non-stop flight from Paris to Rome instead.

Please don't think I am trying to be "Pushy", and if I can help with details count me in!  I must tell you the less you have to deal with LHR or CDG, you will be a lot happier!  The taxi will cost you a minimum of $75 one way to/from LHR or CDG

I definitely do not think you are being pushy at all Jerry, you have great info on all of your comments/posts.

Thanks again.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

richard37075,

I am trying to figure out a similar situation as yours.  My fiancee and I are planning on going to NYC, Paris, and Rome late next year as well and have been trying to figure out what would be the best way to travel between Paris and Rome.  A friend of mine actually just came back from her honeymoon in London, Paris, and Rome, and said that she took the TGV from Paris to Milan, then used Trenitalia from Milan to Rome.  She said while the ride was long, in her opinion it was better than flying and thought it was a good experience.  It's also a lot cheaper than flying.  I'm leaning towards this option, as I fly mainly Oneworld carriers, meaning I'd have to go from CDG to LHR, and then on to Rome on British Airways, which is more of a hassle than taking the train in my opinion. 

richard37075 Platinum

Airfare is pretty reasonable actually..  You can fly Easyjet non stop from Paris to Rome with luggage and all of the fees for about 300-350$ for 2 people.

You can use your BA Avios and transfer points to Iberia and get down to Rome as well.  When I looked at what it would cost for the train ride(s) and the time (basically one full day) I figured flying would be the best option.  If I had more time, I would taken the train from Paris to Milan or Florence and rented a car to see Tuscany.  Then drop the car north of Rome, and continued into Rome on the train.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Really?  That isn't bad... I'll have to look into that.

As for Oneworld, I'm only affiliated with AA and their system didn't give me any Iberia options.  I thought about signing up for Avios, but I'd rarely use it and don't want to open another credit card at this time.  Perhaps in the future... But thanks for the great tip! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...