5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 5:11 PM by californian RSS

Sandy aftermath

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Have not heard from any of you who have affected by Sandy lately.  I hope that is a good sign.  Let us know how you are doing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Sandy aftermath
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I just replied on another discussion topic about this.  After 2 long weeks, we finally got power and heat back last night.  Had to throw out hundereds of dollars worth of food out.  Used about 90k in points to stay at Marriotts in the local area.  Can't claim the food as a loss, since it's weather related.  Now I need to get my roof fixed, as many shingles came off.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

LS,

Thanks for the update.  I can only imagine how horrible the experience has been but it sounds like the worst is over and now to get your home back to normal.  Your insurance might not cover costs but you might be able to write them off on your taxes.

People have been donating money, miles, points, etc for Sandy victims.  You are indicating that you had to use points to stay at a hotel.  If someone like you is not getting help, what are they doing with the donations?  I also heard that hotels are price gouging and actually raising the rates as opposed to offering rooms at cost to victims.

To me, in a catastrophe, people should be given help not taken advantage of.

Keep us updated and I hope that things get back to normal soon.  My heart goes out to you , your family and all the others.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Thanks for your well-wishes and concern!

wtbauer Platinum 1 Reviews

Just got back from a wedding trip to NYC.  The city is certainly regaining its footing.  Unfortunately, Marriott did not have its finest hour.  My reservation was at the Downtown New York Marriott for November 8-11.  It took 5 calls (all initiated by me) to get re-booked since the hotel was closed through the 11th.  There was apparently no plan in place by Marriott to re-book folks and there was no cooperation among hotels so that I could get a comparable rate in NYC at a comparable hotel.  Overall as a lifetime platinum member I was astounded at Marriott's lack of service to affected travelers.

When people are in need, I would have hoped that Marriott would have been more helpful.  Where did you end off staying and how much more did you have to pay?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...