67 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 8:34 AM by klaus29 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Do G, P and PP matter anymore?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Based on the discussions of the past few years about diminishing recognition and privileges (breakfast, concierge lounge), I wonder whether any of you feel like me that the only reason to be part of Marriott's loyalty program is because of the 10X dollar spent (for any level, if I am not mistaken) and what I get through my MR Premier Card.

This occurred to me because I had to change my Thanksgiving destination from Greece to Bologna, Italy because of the ongoing and constant strikes in Greece that make likelihood of flights landing, archaeological sites being open, or getting home unlikely.  So I first looked at the AC Marriott in Bologna.  But the tripadvisor reviews were not great, and it is not central.  I ended up with a deluxe room with breakfast, free wifi and all kinds of other goods booked through the hotel website of the Starwood Excelsior Bologna in the historic part of the city -- and right next to the airport shuttle stop.

Since we've been asking for breakfast and CL privileges throughout the week for well over a year now, how many of you think as I do that it may not be worth it anymore to go for the Gold, Platinum or PP levels? And why haven't we gotten a definitive answer? Or did I miss it?

BTW, by contrast, when I changed my Delta flight from Greece to Bologna, the Delta agents were extraordinarily competent and helpful, even changing all the parts of the ticket that involved KLM and making sure I got my upgrades and no less than economy comfort. My flight loyalty program will be of highest priority in the future, as will be my use of my Amex Delta Reserve card.

Any others have feelings on the subject?
ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do G, P and PP matter anymore?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Well to me there is no difference between platinum premier and platinum as i have been one for two years. Regarding gold you get into the conceiege lounge which i think is a big deal but not sure there is enough difference with platinum to make that really desirable. the extra 500 points whn you have a lot doesn't do it . Maybe if they did something like with platinum premier you got say 1.5 nights credit for each stay that would be a big deal

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

The gold and above levels get 50% bonus instead of 25% at silver.  There's no bonus on dollars spent until elite.

Some of the brands don't give 10 points per dollar.  RI and TPS only give 5 points per dollar.  The more elite extended stay apts. don't give any more than 2.5 points per dollar.

As far as whether or not it helps to get the higher levels, there are still advantages at some places, which I know you've talked about.    Full bottles of wine in your experience and mine.  Extra gifts at check in.  At the Columbia, SC Marriott; they comped us 3 extra breakfast tickets for my son's friends for his birthday.  Really great of them.  That made 5 free breakfasts.

I've gotten comped points that I don't think we'd have been given at a lesser level.  The free wifi is nice.  I hated paying for it at Marriott and Ren.

Some of the things they say they'll do aren't adhered to, but it's much better than not having a higher level at all, at more places than otherwise.

Oh, and both years that Larry has been plat., he's gotten a special bonus like 10% off at the restaurants by showing the card, or the free WSJ subscription this year on the iphones. 

sg1974 Gold

I think it depends on the property.

If there is a concierge lounge and it is open on the weekends, then that is the benefit that I value the most.

At least in Europe if the CL is not open then breakfast is available in the restaurant.

This should be the same throughout the group.

Marriott have no doubt heard enough complaints about this and should implement a consistent policy

Free WIFI is good when travelling overseas, but I have found more hotels are offering free WIFI now to all guests.

The 25% bonus points for gold should be higher as it is 20% for silver.

Current position: Platinum 75 nights + 50% bonus, gold 50 nights + 25%, silver 10 nights + 20%.

A fairer spread would be P 60%, G 40% & S 20%.

travelprincess Platinum 1 Reviews

I understand your frustration because every property does things a bit different when it comes to elite status. My experience has been to call the hotel direct and ask about their elite policies. In many cases I choose the Marriott based on those answers. I find it helpful to ask again when I arrive and always speak to the front desk manager. I usually get upgraded to a suite, which makes being elite worth it.

klaus29 Silver

i agree  a  10000000  prozent with you.

contact direct the hotel

dmollner Platinum

I will say that as of late like the past year or two I have to agree that the platinum level status is of no big consequence to any of the main hotels I stay at.  I really do agree that you can get free breakfast at the lower level Marriott's (RI,TPS,SHS,FI) but you go to a full service and you might or might not get it.  Very very annoying that it can not be standardized.  I have always had a much better experience with international Marriott's paying attention to the platinum member more so then any domestic one.  And international Courtyard brands are better then most domestic JW brands

Hi dmollner,

My comment was prompted by many of the same issues raised here, and also because I've had to stay at many European hotels that are not Marriotts (because in France in particular there are very few outside of Paris).  I have often found staying at a boutique hotel highly rated on tripadvisor can be not only a lot less expensive, but have all the perks I had come to expert from a Marriott. So the question becomes (like one TV ad I recall) -- do I go out of my way to stay at a Marriott  just to get the points? My answer increasingly is no, though if more uniformity were true re perks I  might. 

ProfChiara

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

@profchiara - Just my opinion here: Yes, the Gold and Platinum do make a difference and does matter on several issues.

- I heard (unsubstantiated) from some friendly Marriott staff I befriended from staying at certain Marriott properties frequently that in situations where a hotel is overbooked, which does happen, they will "bump" the non-elite folks to make room for the elites.  Yes, the hotel has to cover the cost of putting the person(s) they bumped up in another hotel somewhere else, but, from an overall corporate strategy, it makes sense: reward your most loyal/frequent customers.  The non-elites, if they get pissed off, are unlikely to have any loyalty to Marriott anyway, and the corporation hasn't really lost anything.

- the earlier comment about free Internet, I disagree that it doesn't matter.  Being in the hi-tech profession, I can assure you that Internet comes in many flavors and shades.  Yes, you get free Internet at some hotels.  The speed and latency of those "free" Internet services are horrible.  Why?  There is no such thing as "free Internet".  Someone is paying for it.  In the case of hotels, it's the hotel paying for it (alright, yes, they are probably trying to add it to some fee somewhere).  Consequently, the hotel is going to go with the lowest level ($) of service if they have to give it away.

I have found some hotels, especially mid-to-upper tier brands, starting to offer a 'free' and a 'paid' Internet service.  The free service is awful.  The paid service is decent and in some cases, blazingly fast.

Thus, if you can get the paid Internet service as a 'comp' from being a Gold/Platinum member, it makes a big difference.

- Room upgrades: lest we not forget, even if you don't get an upgrade to a suite or some other larger room, you could get a higher floor, a better view or even a quieter room away from all the traffic.  Makes a difference.

Lastly, I have almost 100% of the time noticed I get treated better by the staff when they see that I'm Platinum.  Even if it's just a friendly greeting or more responsiveness to minor issues (e.g. - I had a complaint recently with a loud neighbor next to me), it makes a difference.

Folks may not think the above mean much, but if you're traveling so frequently that you're at a Gold or Platinum level, I would think those kind of benefits would make a difference...

Please don't get me wrong.  I have been a very long-time Marriott member who went out of her way to ALWAYS stay at a Marriott for years and years, even when it was inconvenient.  But what I've found is that as I get older (and more decrepit), and some of my most important things (CL and breakfast as Platinum), I don't want to pay more for less, especially if I can stay at an amazing hotel, just for the loyalty issues and points (esp. if I stay at a hotel that is significantly less expensive).  Some of the European hotels (pretty much the only place I travel) are very, very expensive, especially in Paris, Rome and Venice.  I stayed at the wonderful Metropole Hotel in Venice before the Boscolo Autograph Collection was available as a Marriott property, and honestly have to say that I would go back to the Metropole.

There are three Marriott hotels in Europe I will NEVER desert: the Athens Marriott, which is the best bang for the buck imaginable, and by far the best staff; the Ghent Marriott, which has to be the friendliest anywhere, and where you get all kinds of super-perks because they don't have a CL; and the Brussels Marriott, which without fail and with no good reason (since I don't need or expect a suite, just a high room that is very nice) always upgrades me to a suite.

ProfC

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

@profchiara - I completely get what you're saying.  When I travel to Las Vegas, even though Marriott has quite a few properties there, I rarely stay at them.  I much prefer the Bellagio, Planet Hollywood, etc.

Like yourself, there are certain places in the world that (no offense to Marriott) there are hotels that are just out of Marriott's league for similar pricing.

I was writing more generically to the people on this site (Marriott Rewards Insiders) about the benefits of Gold/Platinum (for those that are not yet at those levels).  I personally made a terrible mistake for years (a long time ago) boucing between Hilton Group, Marriott Group, Hyatt Group, Omni Group, Starwood Group, etc. hotels, never really staying at any one group to achieve any level of elite status.

Then one year, I got "bumped" to Hilton Gold status prior to reaching Gold, and noticed the perks I got.  That's when I started looking at the other programs(Marriott, Hyatt, etc.) and realized that if I concentrated my stays (where it made sense), I actually would get some nice benefits of elite status.

Needless to say, I've focused on Marriott and my Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, Omni, etc., have fallen back to almost non-active status.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

It matters to me.  Every little bit helps.  Free internet, free breakfast (when I stay on weekends in the U.S., sometimes I'll just book the breakfast rate if it's a good deal and the hotel restaurant is a good one - and I really hate to divulge that, as I know that saying so works against the worthy implorements to Marriott to offer G, P, & PP elites free weekend breakfasts, but I'm just being honest here...), floor upgrade, better view, extra points, and arrival gift - any of these perks are always better than nothing.  A suite upgrade is of course, tops when it can be had.

Why do they give free weekend breakfast to G's and P's in Europe and not in the U.S.?  I'm not just blathering, I really want to know why that is!

Enjoy your time in Bologna, Prof.

Salute!

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

@pluto77 - WRT your comment about why Marriott's don't offer free breakfast on weekends in the US, I have found that NOT the case in my experiences at full Marriott or JW properties.

E.g. -

A few months ago, I stayed at a Marriott.  Checked in on a Friday night, with checkout on Monday morning.  As most folks in this forum are aware, the Concierge Lounges are generally closed by Friday afternoon and reopen on Monday mornings (obviously catering to business travelers).

Upon checkin, the front desk staff noticed I was Platinum, and immediately offered me complimentary breakfast coupons to be used at the onsite restaurant for Sat and Sun morning, explaining it was in compensation for the Concierge Lounge being closed on weekends.  I did not ask for this.  They volunteered this on their own.

While I am a business traveler, I do spend the occassional weekend in a Marriott, and have found many times, if it's a full Marriott or JW, they will do exactly what I described above (and yes, in the US).

Glew,

Your experiences differ from mine, and good for you.  Which ones, please?  Perhaps we should start a list.  However, I wonder if these properties do it to all G, P/PP or if it's simply a discretionary call?

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

Marriott Burlington, JW Denver were my two most recent weekend experiences that turned out well.

My hunch is it's a discretionary call on the property.  They obviously have the ability to do it(the coupons I got at Marriott Burlington were pre-printed specifically for complimentary breakfast at their restaurant).  Probably helps if you smile at the front desk staff :-)

A warm, friendly smile never hurts.   (Nor does an associate in a good mood or low occupancy, or whether or not they like the way you look, or... ).

gunderso Platinum

My experience with Marriott lately is that they are not recognizing any status (we travel as a group of four usually, two gold and two platinums) and it's getting to the point where we have to ask for our platinum arrival gifts.  Marriott definately takes better care of you in their overseas locations (free minibar in Vienna Austria JW and Marriott Istanbul Asia Hotel.)  We are beginning to utilize Starwood hotels more and more in the US as they treat us like they appreciate our business when we check in.  As other people have said in this thread, it sure would be nice to be recognized for any status you carry with Marriott.

va1379 Platinum

You should be claiming the guarantee for the platinum arrival gift.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

i travel to the us a lot and apart from the burbank marriott ive always recieved breakfast coupons on the weekend

dejamo Platinum

Reading through all of the above,  it is readily apparent that :

a     -     depends on which Marriott you go to

b      -     depends on which city you go to

c     -     depends on which brand you stay at

d     -     depends on whether or not the robot.............(I mean "associate"),  has a clue what the elite statuses mean to the "elite status" members

and (drumroll...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................)

e     -     It depends on how much **** you are willing to put up with.

Personally,   my extensive spend at Marriott came to a close in April of this year,  and the grass at the other chains can be a significantly more consistent shade of green,  which is the case for myself (and my 22 associates I "took with me, away from MRI), at the HHonors chain.

a-e have been complete bummers for myself and alot of other PP's (and P's for that matter),  for a number of years,  and the continual degradation of services, lip service...................etc............etc.....................  was just too much to wait it out for.

Now I see that a simple question regarding Lifetime status on MRI,  elicited a response of "cant tell you right now",  and "the exact nature of Lifetime Status levels has never been published" (or similar),  like it is some big secret that if let out, would doom the empire.

Whatever/whenever the "upcoming" changes to lifetime elite statuses appear (if that happens),  you can be rest assured that it wont favor the road warrior,  whatever they give,  they will take away something else, and spend thousands of IT hours on this forum promoting what a "good deal" it is.

I have been recruiting away from Marriot since April and have been extremely successful in doing so,  and will continue to do so, as they are no longer any incentives to go out of the way.   Read the "Boarding Area" blog about the 9 day Marriott Platinum Challenge...........makes me sick (again).

ProfC hit the nail on the had..............years of complaining,  yet it falls on deaf ears,  with no movement..............But MRI has spent a ton on this "blog", and continues to hypnotize the masses to drink the koolaid.

Any benefit between P's and PP's (besides the  "Dedicated phone line..............(useless), and the annual kibble they throw you every year (WSJ, 29 cent "Solar Charger etc.................)...............Anything worth staying around for ??????

NOT !!!!!

erc Platinum

dejamo

Welllllll, to quote Mr. Reagan, "there you go again". You take the effort to write an incisive, concise, IMO, thoughtful overview which I agree with over 90% of its content and then you just have to poke the hornet's nest by using terms like; putting up with ****, robots as associates, and drinking the kool-aid, which then stirs up the masses and has us arguing among ourselves on this forum over who loves Marriott the most. But I thank you for your efforts because it stirred me up enough to get me off my big fat fanny (and out of some pre-Thanksgiving prep chores) to jot down my thoughts. I'm even going to name names in hopes of broadening the interaction over the holiday weekend when we celebrate all the terrific things we have to be thankful for (I mean really; suite vs. high floor - may that continue to be my biggest concern as I fight the ongoing undefeated opponent of old age).

Now, before anyone starts questioning my bonafides; as a lifetime plat, I've been a rewards member since the very beginning, just like the hall of famer jerrycoin so please don't hammer me about my love for Mother Marriott. I am a longtime kool-aid drinker, and besides I'm done. I no longer have the leverage of booking sports teams (8-12 rooms a night; two nights,{3 or 4, if we win,and we won} - 3 or 4 times a season) or corporate meetings twice a year. I now stay at friend's homes, trade timeshares, live off of booking one time rates months in advance, and gobble up the scraps of the ever declining quantity of elite offers - so no one cares (and that's ok by me, I understand, I'm not the target audience).

But where I do get frustrated (and much to many on this forum's chagrin, frequently document) is with the apparent oblivious attitude to this forum's well stated, legitimate concerns, many members who if not the current target audience (whatever that may be today), certainly as shown by dejamo, represent revenue sources worthy of interactive recognition. I agree with GemPrincess that you would think that Marriott would value this collection of heavy travelers' insights, but I have moved more toward steppingstones, tef6178 and others that have just out and out been worn out with the lack of response to legitimate, very easy to favorably impact, issues.

As much as I respect, and enjoy jasper youtubes, photos, and posts, I no longer participate in his polls, as a silent protest over the lack of even a recognition (not saying policy change - just the starting point, recognition) of the overwhelming percentage vote. This leads me to my major beef with the policymakers at Marriott Headquarters. I agree that extra benefits are often a hit and miss thing and yes, politeness and respect are certainly a two way street and that for the extremely high, most part, Marriott service is excellent. What gets me going is the apparent, deliberate, ambiguity fostered by the decision makers roaming the corridors at Intergalactic.

Marriott did not get to be the industry leader by keeping knuckleheads in their positions. michellel2 has logged in over a quarter of a century in positions with ever increasing responsibilities, yet look at the contortions the corporate culture forced her into over the BOGO debacle, which leads many of us to quite reasonably question anything she says over lifetime platinum (again, not related to her integrity, but the system's) and we here at Insiders, I would dare say are one tenth as animated as the players on Flyertalk-Marriott.

JohnL  who has over 15 years experience in exactly the type of digital customer service communication that I'm seeking, started off gangbusters knocking 9 or 10 questions out of the park, right off the bat. That momentum, along with the introduction of the CY brand manager into a discussion, was what I thought was going to be the interactive communication that this forum merits; but alas, californian you were right, much ado about nothing.

After NathalieF Andy brought johnl into the discussion, markzz2 and jamesdean virtually begged him to amplify his answer on travel rate code and points, currently to no avail. painedplatinum razorbackfan lone6star and I are also currently awaiting an answer over the Marriott Gift Card, now perhaps it's the holidays, but compare that delay with daily responses to Facebook members;

Facebook poster  "Just got me a gold status" -            Marriott   Woo hoo!

Facebook poster  "I love the beds" -                             Marriott   Aren't they super comfy!

Facebook poster  "Back from a great rewards night" - Marriott   Yay!

You can find these examples almost daily and the responses are virtually immediate. Now I'm not saying Marriott shouldn't respond, they absolutely should; social media is an organism not a process, is 24/7, not a one time event and everyone is an influencer (and all of the other 36 rules of social media), what I'm saying is how about a little love for the Insiders?

Oops, I've been caught in my cave and now must do chores, so I'll wipe off the cheetos dust (or bbq fritos michellel) and be on my way.

Happy Thanksgiving to all including, shoeman1000 vaboywnder pluto77 alrenaissance profchiara nuhusker skiadcock sg1974

kroywen eb5147 kharada46  tryt53arkwright (ha ha, sucked you in, didn't I boys and girls?) and all the other terrific Insiders who provide great insights to our traveling experiences.

PS - If you can't wait for your Thanksgiving football and you get the NFL Network, take a look tonight at 8 pm EST at  A Football Life - John Riggins, you'll love it. I guarantee it (like Joe Willie in '69) or I'll provide you with free parking at my favorite Old Town Alexandria Va Spring Hill (and I'll even throw in a weekend breakfast).

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

Thanks for mentioning me, but I really am no "Hall of Famer".  I guess I "Strike out 70% of the time, but still bat .300", so after a long time that qualifies me?".

So just "Pass the kool-aid, (And points), I am not here to tell people how to run their business.  If I don't like it, I'll go elsewhere.  I do like it and like the fine MRI I've had a chance to share a laugh and a story with.

erc, please keep up the good work!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Woo Hoo! Erc...lol. That's my best facebook impression. Good job.

dejamo Platinum

Well pooey erc......you know me too well........................thoughtful as I am,  I like to stir up the hornets nest when appropriate and unfortunately,  "call em as I see em".....and besides (I like "stirring you up")

"Quoting Reagan" again...........".Marriott Rewards...............tear down these walls"..........

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

And a very happy Thanksgiving day to you too    One additional thing to be grateful for --freedom to express all opinions & thoughts here on this board.  

Marriott management give us a sign that you're reading our posts!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Happy Thanksgiving to you too erc!

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Good and insightful thoughts, you obviously spent some time putting to words some very constructive pointers and observations over the years of your loyal MR membership...

happy Thanksgiving, JD

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ERC, This is too cool and is the meat and bones, bread and butter, etc., of what is going on around here. It makes me sad in many ways, but still hopeful in others. It is the Half full glass attitiude that I have that keeps me always optomistic that things will always get better. I cannot help myself. No matter how bad the odds, or how grime the situation appears, I always keep on fighting for a win or something better. Otherwise I get depressed, and ever since I was a kid I cannot stand that feeling. I have also noticed from experience that a positive attitude sometimes (and somehow?) will get things happening that is good.

I really like the way you put your wording into your entire statement, and I hope it gets others thinking, and perhaps taking action.

Sadly it is the only way we have to get a group of dedicated people at Marriott to try and get something moving for what is for most of us our favorite Hotel brand.  Hell, I still have over a million some Hilton points just floating around, but they do not seem to mean as much to me as a million Marriott points. All personal preference I guess.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, and I really hope that things here at the Insiders, as well as Marriott in general move for the better. Hopefully a shorter (as opposed to a longer) time will prevail for the better.

It is hard, but I try to not become disillusioned. There always is that breking thin line, so time will tell.

thanks for your opinionated, humourous, helpful, and well written statement you wrote. How can somebody with power not notice this sort of thing?

Take care and have a good day/night.  - Marriottly yours, - Al

Hi Al and others,

I am very much a glass half full kind of person, but I also expect that half full glass . I've been increasingly disappointed at even some European Marriotts (though never the Ledra, Ghent Marriott, Brussels Marriott or Grand Flora.  But I have increasingly felt more like a customer than a guest, which I think is what has always divided Marriott from its main competition for me in the past.

Here I am in Bologna (not at a Marriott - more in a separate post) and I have a huge room, centrally located, free breakfast, free wifi and great staff.  And I'm paying a lot less than at the AC Bologna (which I think is a Marriott). That's been the crux of it for me esp after Venice the past two times.  Paid less got more at a non-Marriott (Metropole), paid more got less at the Marriott Boscolo.

I sincerely hope people are listening and I am always optimistic!  Happy Thanksgiving to all!

ProfC

Very optimistically put ProfC!

Always good to hear your logical charm, as well as all of the others who contribute so much here which makes me feel that we, as a group, can and will be empowered. - Al

PROFCHIARA , ERC AND ALL HIGHLY REGARDED OTHERS,

I wanted to say something about this whole post you did back on 10 NOV 12 and 21 NOV 12 respectfully in regards to this topic and Marriott as a whole.

After Profchiara started this thread, and was later followed up in some breadth by ERC, some things began to slowly develop in my mind, as humble as it is. Well I actually archived this notification, as I, like others, got a notification immediately as it pulled many of us up as "mentioned". Well, I did respond to some degree then, albeit mildly, but I was still getting a definative feel for what I think both parties were trying to express in their communiques.

Alright. Well it has been over a month now. To be honest, some of the things you mentioned in here began to strike a chord in me. Perhaps a few. .. First, I was elated that both of your parties expressed some of the things that I felt like saying, and did so very well.  I am very loyal to the things I believe in, sometimes to the verge of being almost blind, I will then attempt to justify my beliefs almost to, but not in excess of, mathematical impossibilty.

What really got me going, and now is the first stage of truley wondering if Marriott is doing the right thing or is any better then the competitors, is the loss of the EEO's ( I know it is probably old ground, but not really). I may be presumptuios in stating that you are both Platinum, perhaps lifetime. I did not try to check prior to this post. I am Plat Life, since 2003, so I think you can relate.( I am 44 right now, so I guess you can discern that I have been doing a lot of Marriott for a long time!) LOL!

Well I used to run the new EEo's in my prinnter every quarter until I was emailing 123 INK to order more ink (Just Kidd')  I would go to local Marriotts at least 30 weekends a year to take advantage of the room and food as a getaway, whenever not travelling on real business or leisure out of state or country, within 5-15 miles of my home. No kids obviously. I would meet fun people, many of whom I am still in touch with to this day, and have a great time using pools, hot tubs, and free shuttle rides to local or national bands right in my area. I could have a few brews ajnd get a shuttle ride from the property, so no worry about Drink & drive.  Free breakfast, guaranteed, everytime. Sometimes I would fly for the weekend. No big deal. At this time. with EEO's being gone, it really makes me feel that do you think that any other chain can deliver, perhaps better?(I cannot believe I am saying this, but it is a New Year and I am making new considerations. Only if justified!)

Profchcia and ERC, you both seem to grasp how I feel about this whole situation, and I very much respect your thoughts. Does Marriott really deserve what we, as some of the most loyal spenders, our undivided appreciation? I have been the best with the others before. Can do it again super quick.

Simply love Marriot, and want to make sure I am doing ther correct thing.

I am so steadfast Marriott loyal it is ridiculous. I have so many Marriott branded items such as robes, hats, stone coasters, whatever, in my Command Center (pesonal office, LOL!) that I have seen at locations and purchased that some guests to my home thought that I have perhaps worked at a Marriott at sometime in the past, like during my 11 years in college. (All Productive!). I can easily say that my current Marriott points balance is in excess of the number my Marriott rewards number is. No kidding. To the point that front desk people who put it on my key folder actually get it backwards.on occassion. LOL! I

]

My Marriottt comrades. What I think I may need is some reinforcement of why I should keep hanging around with Marriott. I have already done 7 digit transfers from IHG, Hyatt, Starwood, even used to be up there in OMNI. Hiltom says they will give me Diamond based on last year Marriott nights. This is too depressing. I am reaching out here (if you could not gather already). I will defend a friend with all my heart, but what is Marriott doing to me with EEO loss? I need a backbone transplant right now. Always greener over the fence deal, right? I think not. Pl;ease leave me some mental empowerment.

I amm thinking of the BOA Hawaiian Airlines Visa which double point transfers to Hilton.

I love the Insiders and Marriott (especially Renaissance properties, thus Alrenaissance as user name!) But need reinforcement!~.

I am still relying on the November staement, "for better or worse" in my situation, to watch progress. please help!

SOS

Samuel Morse:(...___...) {dot,dot,dot,dash,dash,dash,dot,dot,dot}

Save Our Ship

Help Please!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Al ... wow, that's some serious disappointment that you are feeling!  I am amazed at your achievements in the Rewards area ... Plat Life before 40! ... in the multi-million points area (I guess) ... that really does show commitment! 

I've been through anti-Marriott periods in the past but, like you, I am committed to the brand and in the down periods, one of the hotels has always managed to 'wow' me and get me back on board.  I've tried swapping other brands for short periods but I never seem to get the same comfort factor with the whole experience.  I also find that the points seem to have less value ... we are having to use Hilton in New Zealand this year (no Marriotts there) ... it cost a lot more points for the stay than in an equivalent Marriott.

Now that I am retired, I no longer have the business stays to boost my points total, so there is the temptation to look at hotels purely on 'price vs value'.  However, over the next 4 months, we shall be staying (for leisure) at 12 Marriotts and 23 non-Marriott hotels ... it will be interesting to draw comparisons in such a short period.

For the moment, I'll stay optimistic like ProfC!

erc Platinum

Hang in there al

Like any prudent person treat the relationship arms length, but do give a benefit of a doubt toward Marriott, especially with your built up status and knowledge. Like chrisf says, one or two great trips (and you'll have them this year with all your travel) gets you all juiced up again to do battle with the silliness that sometimes comes along. I'm optimistic (hopefully not naively so) that we are going to see a continued increase in prompt, effective communication between this forum and the Marriott associates. This goes a long way to enhancing the overall relationship. As veteran travelers we can all appreciate a straightforward explanation and few, if any begrudge Marriott their executed strategy toward maximizing shareholder value; if I continue seeing the increase in prompt, crisp, and concise explanations of policies, even if I don't agree with them, I've got few complaints, because the on site property service quality is almost always excellent and in the rare cases when it's not, Marriott is one of the very best service providers in remedying it. So keep on keepin' on and snag that next great travel experience and you'll get back in the groove (but of course, as mentioned above - do keep your eyes open for alternatives, just as Marriott does with their policy revisions).

I just had a great experience at the Mayflower, here in DC. A terrific rate, an upgrade to a lovely suite, an unexpected bonus of the concierge lounge being open on the weekend (it's amazing how free sodas, waters, desserts and eggs can influence my peabrain) and I didn't even have to tell them I knew Big Al of alrenaissance fame (I'm saving that for Aruba), so I'm all set for diving back in and finding some more good times with Marriott.

GABill Platinum

Al,

Hang in there! The green on the other side of the fence is sometimes paint that is used to disguise what is really there.

Hilton seems to have too many people who know only their job, which is useless when there is a problem.

Hyatt tries to project a "snobby" presence, but scratch the surface, and you find out what the are really made of.

I have noticed a degradation in some Marriotts, But I have also noticed that when I have called management's attention to the discrepancy, it is always addressed.

I'm even more advanced in fighting the battles than you are, as I was among the very early P for Life people. In fact, I date back to the Marquis program. Hang in there and this will pass. When you get to retirement you will ask yourself why was I so u, pset about that. Choose your battles carefully, and when that choice is made, go for broke.

Good luck

Hi GABill. Thank you for your encouragment. I have decided to stay with Marriott for now as my only brand. I just wanted to vent a bit. I can understand no change, but when something that is used so often is taken away, it is very disenlightening.

Hope to hear from you again soon!

_Al

Marriott Associate Member

Happy holidays, All!  Great conversation - we do indeed listen.  Those who have followed me through the years know that sometimes we can impact change...and sometimes we can't.  Nonetheless, we promise tireless advocacy and the devotion to you that you deserve.  Just 'cause the Ronald Reagan Quote bandwagon is ambling by, here's one of my faves:  Facts are stubborn things.

Life is short, be joyful!  michellel

GABill Platinum

Hi Michelle,

I haven't been on the site for some time due to family issues, and a long cruise, But I hope that you have had very happy holidays. Good luck in trying to answer some of these problems, as sometimes they have no apparent answers. Most of the time I found that finding the right people to fix a problem, and then empowering them to get it done, resulted in better results than I had any reason to expect.

I was in the Vicksbutg, MS Fairmont last week, and the front desk person did a triple=take at my card because she had never seen a Plat Life. Needless to say, my stay there was perfect, as she informed everyone else that there was a PL on the property. People make the difference.

Nice! Great to hear! (LP in Ms recognition).

Certainly lets you smell the roses on occassion, so-to-say!

Welcome back GA!  Hope you're breathing easy when you're staying at Marriotts ('scuse the pun)!  ;-)

I love this conversation because it so beautifully illuminates the highs and lows of carrying on a long-term relationship with each other.  True - sometimes we (Rewards / Marriott International / individual hotels) shine and sometimes we totally blow it.  If we must - another time - illuminate the total failure to replace BOGOs....ok. that's fair.  We need to take the heat.  Change does not come quickly to any big company - our competitors included.  Oftentimes, the changes that are announced or show up on property, have been many moons in the making.  So - YES - we do listen to you, but some of the things you say need to change can take longer than "a yea"r to bring to market.  And - holy cow...when we do make a change we think will be so great, but turns out to be a stinker - well, it's like giving an appliance to someone on their birthday - the best of intentions but totally wrong on so many levels.  One thing is certain, there will be changes this year just like there are every year.  Some you'll love and some you'll hate (nope, NOT talkin'...).

No whining here, just stubborn truth.  No excuses either...gawd knows, if there was a way to speed things up, we would be on it lickety split!

And, life is hard enough already.  You need to do whatever it takes to bring yourself comfort on the road. Do let me know how your on-property experience with our competitors stack up.  I'm also interested in your point redemption experience.

If you're ever in the DC/Bethesda area and want to come by for a visit, my door is always open!  Actually it's a view-bicle (cubicle with a window) so everything is always open...  But still - come by!  We can have lunch in the cafeteria.

Happy 2013 ~ michelle 

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hello Michellel, Happy New year to You!

Your above post is very honest gives an accurate state of the union....

In my opinion, little has changed on the site,  some long time contributors have left, several new contributors have risen up to fill the void.  Some minor tweaks have been implemented on the site itself, but so insignificant I would hardly notice them. One could see that as a positive, seamless, implementation.  Others would note very little change on a site that I still find wanting in its navigation.  Regarding the BOGO fiasco, and I do see it that way on many levels, the window of opportunity on positive PR has come and gone, and anything done at this point will be met with a yawn.  Your point on wheels of progress moving slowly is well taken, but, if so, I sure hope there are many significant programs in the the works now and will be coming to fruition in the near future.  I agree that your competitors move slowly also, but the difference is that Marriott is behind in the benefits race and needs to play catch up.  In that case, Marriott needs to speed up a bit. 

Finally, and most importantly, I love Marriott.  With all its warts, it is 'family' and I look forward to 2013, visiting with my 'family' (likely another 150 nights), and hopefully being given the master bedroom from time to time. 

Regards

Shoeman

Yup - and a BIG 10-4 on the "catch-up" comment.  Happy new year to you too - I'll do my best to buy as many shoes as possible, too - always looking for that glass slipper myself! 

Hi Michelle and everyone who has commented on this post!

I agree with almost everything all of you have said. I just finished a three-night stay at the JW Marriott in New Orleans, which was wonderful (and I will write about it probably tomorrow).  But since I only stay in the US about once a year (compared to about 15-20 stays in Europe, Mideast and N.Africa), the thing that matters to me most is what is missing.  I will highlight all the amazing things about the JW and especially its staff when I write tomorrow, but since my one stay is always a conference from Thursday through Sunday, I only got to enjoy the CL/EL Thursday night and Fri morning (Friday night I had an event and when I got back it was closed even for a soft drink).  And there were no breakfast vouchers for two of the three days I was there since the CL/EL was closed.

That really does make a difference with me, and why I still usually stay at Marriotts abroad if they are in the city or country I am in.  I cannot remember a time (even at Courtyards in Europe) when I have not been given at the very least free breakfast every day of the week whether they have a CL/EL or not.  And some of the best have both (Athens Ledra [CL open all the time], West India Quay[all weekdays CL/EL, but where weekend breakfast was free in the restaurant], Grand Flora, where there is no CL but esp in spring and summer spectacular free breakfasts 7 days on the rooftop or in winter in the restaurant, and of course one of my favorites, the Ghent Ledra. It has no CL, but you get free breakfast every day at the restaurant and coupons for free drinks and hors d'oeuvres (which make up for a dinner because they are quite hearty) every day.

And I must add one negative. When I came back around 10:30 Saturday night in NOLA and decided to have a glass or two of wine at the lounge bar, the tab for two glasses of red wine was $34 before tip and the lounge bar closed at 11pm!  And breakfast was over $30 on Saturday.  So this is a costly benefit loss to members especially when we can get it elsewhere. I rarely eat enough for breakfast for it to account for more than a trip to McDonald's, so this is a major gripe with me.

As long as my foreign travels give me all this, I will always stay at Marriotts when I can.  But I have to rethink my usual one stay in the US.

Happy New Year!

Cheers to Michelle and all the Insiders who still keep me coming back to the site.

ProfChiara

dejamo Platinum

Well here it is,  last night in paradise, and I just had to comment on a recent email notification I received regarding the end of year recognition and stats posted by the Comm Mgr

al, erc, and nadine................keep em coming............................

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/blogs/community-managers-corner/2013/01/07/marriott-rewards-insiders-community--2012-year-in-review

Congrats to the stewards,  and if you hurry, you might be able to spend your $100 gift card.

I see that 4 of the 10 most viewed threads dealt with non benefit issues,  and the other 6 were posts regarding "perceived" benefit reductions, or obvious reductions.

Reading ProfChiara's last post has got to make you stop and think (again and again), what 1/2 glass is being served.........full or empty.

Here we are another year has gone by,  and still no definitive action on ANY BENEFIT enhancements for P's or especially PP's...a lot of talk and some scattered dissentions,   but still not one enhancement.  But...................we have this fancy blog and you can get 200 extra points now at a check in .......woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The latest blogs show everyone is treated and appreciated more at overseas properties,  a crying shame that you have to not expect anything,  especially not what should be expected.

Poor Prof C still cant get a free breakfast in the states.

Maybe one of the stewards can spring for it with their gift cards ?  

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I just finished reading through the entire post and it went one way and then turned around and so on.

Al, hope this is just a bad day but sometimes it is hard to continue with Marriott when other hotels offer more.  I was gold with Hilton for a while and got more (upgrades and free breakfast every day even at resorts) than Marriott gives me as a platinum.  I am now gold with Starwood and upon check-in am asked if I would like a 4p, check out.  I had to beg to get a 2pm at a CY and them was let know that they were put out since they were sold out and it made it harder for them.  They gave it to me because of my platinum level.

For some reason, I look for a Marriott first and then others.

One thing that I like is the promotions.

jmring Platinum 5 Reviews

I have seen no discernible difference in the levels at all.  I, like dejamo, left the Marriott program in September of 2012.  After several years, nearly 1000 nights, and achieving the platinum premier elite in 2012, I realized that this was just not recognized by the different Marriott brands throughout the first 8 months of 2012.  I am traveling nearly 2-3 nights every week and without fail, nearly every property I stayed at I needed to ask for an upgrade/breakfast voucher, etc.  I will give a "shot out" to the NO Marriott on Canal St.  I stayed there over a weekend for business and they, without me asking, upgraded my room and gave me nearly 100 dollars in vouchers to use at the property.

I moved to the HHonors program in September 2012 and have been very happy with their program.  Nearly every single property that I have stayed at with them over the past 5 months have upgraded me to a better and/or bigger room without asking.  In addition, I have never had to pay for any breakfast at their properties without a lounge.

As others have said in this post......the variations between properties and brands is huge on their offers and recognitions to Platinum and Platinum Premier.  I just simply got tired of having to ask at every property.

An incredible irony in all of this is that I still achieved Lifetime Platinum Status based upon the new criteria (confirmed with MR Cust Service earlier today).

duke001 Platinum 1 Reviews

I Made the mistake of staying at the NOLA Ritz Carlton.  They wouldn't honor my Gold card & wanted $$$ to be placed on the Club floor, would not upgrade my room, and Internet was not complimentary.

I guess I will find out stuff about the Ritz-Carlton as that is one of the hotels which was going to be on my big try-to-stay-at list.

This info is not encouraging however. I hope it is only property specific or a bad front desk/customer service experience.

I imagine I will find out in the near future.

It might be like at the Marriott's and be different from hotel to hotel.  It is worth a tryl

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

AL

I believe you will find the RITZ experience to be professional, sincere, and welcoming.  What you likely will not find is open arms to greet you as a valued member of Marriott.  I find that the Ritz continues to hold on to their independence and also they do all they can to not lower their standards to reflect the 'Marriott' way.  That said, I love the Ritz, as I do Marriott, but they are different experiences.

Regarding the Club Lounge, everyone pays for access. It is above and beyond a concierge lounge, should not be expected as a freebie by anyone.  With respect to wifi, I have never been asked to pay for this service. 

As someone mentioned, specific properties can delight or disappoint. 

safe travels

GABill Platinum

Hi Again,

I was just at the Heathrow Hilton. The structure and facilities were very good.

The people there know their jobs. They know nothing about anyone else's job, nor anything not related to their own job.

Two examples I encountered:

I asked the hotel to arrange for a CPAP machine for me to rent. After swapping e-mails several times, their re. Apresentative said that the hotel would not get involved, and sent me several websites for renting in the UK. He also warned me that I should never use an appliance that was not rated for 220 in the hotel. As it turned out, there were 110 volt outlets in the rooms. I have made the same request of three marriotts in the UK, and have always found the representative of the rental company awaiting my arrival.

Hi all,

Well, thanks to wonderful (I really mean it -- she got me a corner large room on the 27th floor of the JWNO) Mary Griffin, the guest relations manager, I finally got my real bill, though she had to transmit my message to another department, so at least now I can get reimbursed, even though my MR Premier card in no way reflects any of the charges on my real bill, so I need to monitor that very closely.  Nor have either my 3 nights or points shown, which for straight 10X would be over 8000 then the bonus.

Hopefully they'll show tomorrow.  But I am sure never going to have a glass of wine or two at any Marriott bar in the states before asking what it costs next time!  I could have gotten a pretty amazing bottle for $34 plus tip.

ProfChiara

PS - partly because of last time dissatisfaction (not huge, but not great either) I am staying at the Pescalo Palace on the Grand Canal for three days in Venice at the end of the month, and the final night at the Venice Courtyard Airport.  Then when I go to Casablanca since there are not Marriotts in the country, I'm staying at the Sofitel, which long ago matched my status and did so for two years.  In all cases, free internet and breakfasts are included.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

looks like a steady pattern of mis-cues from M hotels for their most loyal MR customers, hope someone is paying attention!!

Hello Californian, chrisf, erc, michellel, profchiara, shoeman100, dejamo, and others,

I

I am still thinking about my tirad of resentment I pitched out in the "G, P & PP: Is it still worth it" thread. I am still pretty fired up after thinking about the whole EEO /  BOGO thing. To have it at one point really made being a Plat stand out, but now that it is gone is a true blue bummer. I know it is somewhat old hash now, but I think my personal 2012 revisited in my mind is what drew this all to me at once.

I just had to vent, and like most of you indicated was due to my bad mood about the whole thing. 

Chrisf and evrybody was so nice about it. I need to reply and show I appreciate their (and your) support about the whole thing. I do not want to go anywhere else. Really. I just like getting perks when perks are due, and think that Marriott having the hardest to obtain points and the most nights necessary to hit Platinum would provide this . Just a bummer when so much is spent, said and acted upon in the name of loyalty to Marriott.

I am sure we wil all have moments of getting fired up about the whole thing. I really had a hard time weaning off the EEO's as they really were useful for dining in my area. Some of the Marriott's here in Pittsburgh (although I used them many places) can really fire out some good food. The EEo's would alow an ENTIRE BOGO of the identical meal with no limit financially.

I always tipped appropriately, bought drinks, expensive wine, appetizers,etc., and the funny part is that most of the waiters/waitresses or whomever had never even seen the printed EEO's before. It was like nobody ever used them but me or something. So I wonder why they went away?  Just another mystery to me.

2 lobster tails and a petite filet for $75, no make it 2 for $75. No cap on quality food is a beautiful thing.

Thank you to all of you for cheering me up a bit (even you Dejamo get me laughing!) and I am staying steadfast with Marriott for now, although God knows why,...whoops........I mean....
    I will just hope 2013 brings some good surprises for the program that I can sit here and praise the heavens about!

A good year to all of you!!!

Al

Al

Glad you seem better.  Usually I stay at a non-Marriott when there are no Marriott's.  The problem is that I find how much they offer me and then I think that I have status with Marriott and often get less.  It makes me think and it does others.  Who knows what will take place in the future but for now it is still Marriott.

Well thank you. Felt I should write a bit of explanation. Still hanging with Marriott. Ordered new card today (just to stay motivated! Ha!)

Been monitoring your alert progress. Figured I would stay out to not confuse things. Hope everything gets settled for you as I am sure it is getting old as you said. My end seems to be OK. If I can do anything, please let me know. Have a good day!

Glad to see that you are 'keeping the faith', Al.  We are off to our first Marriott stay of the year this weekend ... the weather forecast is for snow!  Still, the Marriott has a nice indoor pool to relax in and a spa ... (that could get expensive if my wife spots it!).

That is very good Chris! I hope you and the Mrs. have a nice time. I live for indoor pools at hotels!

Hoping to hear your field report. You guys have a ice time!

dejamo Platinum

Well al.......... ya know.......................that is why I come to this sight from time to time...........for your amusement !

And, herr Dejamo, that is why I come to this site as well. Except to be amused!

AND.........I appreciate it!

Haaa!!!!!!    

Good one, Al ... I hope that wasn't a typo.