17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 8:25 AM by glew RSS

Hotel Security - Stolen

ljharmony Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What can we loyal guests do beside hearing "we are sorry and will investigate" from hotel when we lose valuables inside the room?  Returned to the room only to find stuff gone.  Guest Service Mgr said sorry and will investigate. 

Likely outcome, nothing will happen. 

Just a head-up to all the road warriors, be careful and don't assume your valuables will be safe in the room.  Despite any verbal apologies, words will not magically make the lost items resurface.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hotel Security - Stolen
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Sorry to hear about this. What was the hotel where this happened?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

thanks tef6178 for your thought.

the hotel is a full-service property: Marriott Del Mar, San Diego, CA.

Our sense of security will be gone and we feel so vulnerable now.  For all hotel guests, what learned is don't expect too much in term of security even at a full-service property.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Did you ask to speak with the General Manager of the property? If not, and even if you have left the property, I would suggest that you still contact the GM. Call the hotel directly, ask for the GM and tell him/her that you are inquiring as to what the outcome was of the theft you reported to the Guest Services manager who told you they would investigate.

richard37075 Platinum

I would also call the police and get a police report.  Some home insurance policies cover your belongings while traveling, along with some higher end credit cards.  But if you don't have proof of the event, you might have a hard time filing a claim.  It also puts the hotel on notice that you mean business, and a paper trail is established to hold the hotel accountable.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It is time to have in room safes in all hotels, that are large enough to put a computer, etc in them.  If I have a car, I leave much in the car that I can hide and lock.  I really hate valet parking because you have to remove everything of value from the car and then what?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I can empathize fully, though I've never had anything stolen (staff in Europe would almost certainly be fired if there was a possibility of such a thing), but I have had very small safes that cannot accommodate my computer.  I need it for research, so I usually leave it out and plugged in but turned off.  Somehow the idea of leaving my computer at the front desk for safety is less reassuring than allowing the hotel staff to know that I trust them (and leave a big tip daily).

thx for all the good thought.

Yes, hotels should have safe big enough for a reasonable size laptop, notebook.  I even tried to dis-assemble the battery and whatever I could but still could not fit in the safe.  The housemaid could be rotated daily or during someone's stay too so establishing some type of allegiance is difficult.

We often times don't appreciate the privacy and safety thinking that will NEVER happen to us.  In life, with so many hotel nights, those could happen esp. some of the franchise-owned properties have very poor HR screening process.  Yes, they have insurance and bonded.  At the end, it's your words against theirs.

It's like do we travel all these distance and the hassle of TSA line to manufacture any type of loss?  Most often, victims will feel being victimized again.

One of my colleague left his stuff in the car and it was stolen too. 

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

If it's really valuable, I think anyone should at least call police to report it so they'd have an official investigation to write it off on taxes if they had to.  It also might make the hotel more aggressive in their security procedures.  The keys can identify the latest entrant into a room, though.  At least they should have a starting point with that, although I've heard of some who were fired when they were innocent.  I guess someone got their keys for a while.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

My policy is never, ever leave anything valuable (especially electronics or jewelry) in a hotel room or vehicle.  I've even had Sudafed pills stolen out of my luggage.  Yes, it's a hassle, but the gamble isn't worth it in today's world where far too many people are looking for a free ride.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This is so true.  At times they take things that no one would believe.  A friend had undergarments taken.  Another had gloves taken.  And one had 1 shoe taken.  We would ask why?

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

As frequent travelers, we should all be cognizant of the lawful liability of the property, which can be found on the inside of the room door, or easily found Googling (or Binging, if you prefer) for "innkeeper liability" and the state you're interested in.  Needless to say, most statutes fall heavily on the property's side, and place some strict limits on the total value. California's is here: Article 4. Innkeepers :: Civil Code :: 2010 California Code :: California Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Remember, we're not really placing something "in their care" when leaving it in a room, regardless of what we may want to believe. The same goes for the rental car, parking facility, etc.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I wasn't suggesting that the hotel would be held responsible any more than a host in a home be held responsible for theft if their home was broken into or a robbery at any other business.  But if the theft is really big, doesn't it need a police report to deduct it from income tax?  It at least helps.  I've gone to rooms just recently where the balcony door was unlocked.

If there's a way onto the balcony, that would be an easy entrance.  But anyone with a key should be checked out first, it seems. 

But if someone has used public travel before getting there and hasn't seen that item since it was packed, the baggage handlers on that mode of travel could have even taken it.

When we traveled by train years ago to CA, the baggage handler in Oakland was unzipping my bag after he'd taken it aside.  It didn't have a lock on it so it was easy to unzip.  He was a few feet in front of me so I told him it was mine and he zipped it back up.   

"Remember, we're not really placing something "in their care" when leaving it in a room, regardless of what we may want to believe. The same goes for the rental car, parking facility, etc."

One of the goals of the post was to share and alert fellow travelers NOT 2 expect too much even from a brand like Marriott and a full-service property.  Of course almost all of the legal liabilites are advantageous to the business (common sense).

We just have to be extraordinary careful everywhere when we travel

Yes, I guess we are not placing "care;" just like the poor woman ESPN sportscaster should NOT have expected much privacy when she was being video in her hotel room. 

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

My original post may have been taken as chiding, nothing could be further from the truth. I meant to reinforce and remind as well. Expectations have nothing to do with a brand or level of a property, it's a matter of understanding and managing risk, wherever you go, whatever you do, and whomever you do business with. Since I can't prevent theft or other loss, I mitigate it by having complete remote backups of everything, as well as the ability to remotely wipe devices.

Immediate and practical response is to call the police and report the burglary; regardless of the value involved, that's still likely a felony. While I'll report any loss to the hotel, it's only as a matter of putting them on notice, as they have no power or ability to investigate much of anything (though they can pull accesses from the card reader). Personal insurance may cover some of the loss, and taxes may also be affected.

Like riding a motorcycle ("dress for the fall, not the ride"), preparation in advance of a loss is worth more than any post-loss response.  Inventories with serials, photos, etc., of the critical stuff should always be available, and can easily be stored "in the cloud" for access anytime, anywhere.

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

@ljharmony - sorry about your loss and completely empathize.  I am a MR Platinum member (indicator of how frequent I travel) and have had items stolen as well, although have been primarily clothing!  E.g. - expensive micro fleece, Ralph Lauren, etc.  Have never had electronics stolen.

Concur with some of the posters here about in-room safes, front desk safe, etc.  Have found safes to be too small or non-existent, etc.

Something I started doing a couple years ago was locking up all my stuff in my rollerboard luggage and putting a lock on the zipper pull fobs.

This way, whomever wants to steal anything would have to break the lock or bust open my luggage to even see what was inside.  While it won't prevent someone from stealing, it at least provides a level of deterence as it requires an additional step of "breaking and entering" (versus just taking something that is laying out or in an unlocked bag).

Since employing this tactic, I haven't had anything stolen from my stays in any hotel.

thx, i think you idea of locking the zippers of your bag is good but do you lock ALL of your stuff daily or only the valuable ones?  If locked all, it could be a hassle b4 going to the office - given some guests here commented that even some undergarments were gone.

Does anyone know if JD Power has a survey of which hotel has the highest incident rates?

You would think hotel themselves would do random-video of their staff, has there been any TV show done that recently?

thx.

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

@ljharmony - in answer to your question, no, I do not lock up everything in my rollerboard every day before I leave for meetings/office/etc.  My dirty laundry (undergarments) I leave out.  FWIW, I've never had my "dirty" undergarments stolen. :-)  I also leave my toiletries (toothbrush, shaver, etc.) out at the sink.

Otherwise, yes, everything else, I keep locked up in the rollerboard.

Yes, this is a nuisance, but, after I realized (unfortunately AFTER I got home) that items like my expensive micro fleece jacket, Ralph Lauren shirts, etc. were gone, it's a small nuisance comparatively.  I don't know about others posting/reading on this thread, but, when I did have stuff stolen, whomever stole my stuff, did not take enough for me to notice initially.

E.g. - when I travel, it's often for multiple days, hence, I've got say, 5 Ralph Lauren shirts with me.  When I had a Ralph Lauren stolen, the thief only took (1) of my shirts. When I was packing to leave, I didn't notice that I was missing a shirt out of 5.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...