11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 1:00 AM by pokee RSS

Free Night Certificate Cat 1-4 (for Marriott Visa Promo)

pokee Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi - just a quick question about the free night cert.

I was just approved for my Chase Marriott Visa today (in Canada) I just noticed that they expire 6 months from issue.  I planned to use mine on June 28th, 2013 - which means, if it's issued prior to Dec. 28th, 2012, it will expire before my intended date of use. If I'd known that before applying, I would have delayed my application! I realize that the cert. could take up to 6 weeks to be issued from the date of approval, so I could be in luck, but doubtful, since it sounds like they issue that cert. immediately upon approval (not upon 'activation') - do i understand correctly?

What are the chances of Marriott extending that cert. till the end of June/13?  I am not Plat. and I am a brand new member, so I wouldn't hold any clout if I called to request an extension/re-issue of the cert.  Is there something I can do now to have the cert. delivery date delayed?

Also, what will my anniversary date be?  One year from the date that I activate the card, or the date that the card was approved?  This is important, too, because I do most of my travel in June/July, and if my anniversary date is in Nov., all my annual certs will expire before I can use them (6 months from Nov = May).

Thanks for your help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Free Night Certificate Cat 1-4 (for Marriott Visa Promo)
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pokee,

All good questions. I'm sorry to say I can't answer any of them. BUT, I would suggest that you call Chase and explain your situation. Maybe they can set your anniversary date from the get go and help you out. Ask them to delay your cert until March and use that as your anniversary going forward. It never hurts to ask. Good Luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bigmrm Platinum

In my experience and from what I've learned browsing, Chase will issue your reward certificates when your first statement is generated. That could be the day after you get the card or a month later -- seems to be random.

You can call and choose your closing date. If you just received the card call and make the closing date 3 weeks for today. Though sounds like that still won't be enough.

pokee Silver

Thanks!  I haven't even got the card yet - just got approved today.  And I'd need to delay the cert. for another 7 weeks, at least.

When do you think would be the best time to call Chase - now, or when I get the card and call to activate?

I guess it's still possible that Marriott Rewards would extend the cert?  I've read that on this board...although, the promo details specifically state that the cert. cannot be extended.  Maybe because it's coming from Chase and not Marriott itself, they cannot change the expiry date/re-issue it?

Thanks again!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I called and they also extended my certificate for 6 months, but I am also Platinum.  It wouldn't hurt to call and find out.  I called close to the expiration date, and then got it extended.  I tried to get chase to change my anniversary date, and they would not do it.  I believe the only way to do that is to get another card on the date you want it to be.

bigmrm Platinum

I'd call the day you get the card.

Yes, I've heard of certificates being extended but I wouldn't count on it. Once the certificates are issued they are in your Marriott Rewards account and Marriott probably has control over them but there doesn't seem to be a regular policy about extending them. Like you, I've heard they sometimes do so though.

Please keep in mind that even if you have the certificates there's no guarantee the property will accept them. Special events and such may make them temporarily (or not so temporarily) unredeemable, though personally I seldom have any problems.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I had the same problem . I called and they extended mine by six months

pokee Silver 2 Reviews

Jerryl - do you mean you called Chase to extend the cert. prior to issue - or you called Marriott to have it extended after the cert. was issued? Thanks!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

called the marroitt rewards desk. I am a platinum  but lady was very helpful and asked if six months was enough  which in my case was  and yes after issue with about a month before expiration

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I too called Marriott.  Chase doesn't have much control over that part, and hasn't been too helpful overall.

richard37075 Platinum

Since you said you were approved and hadn't gotten your card yet.  You could wait to actually activate your card for several weeks once it arrives.  Lately when I have called to activate a card, they have told me the bill due date, but asked if I wanted to change that.  If you waited to activate, then set your "bill due date" later in the month as well, you could probably hit the date you want.

pokee Silver

Too late...my free night cert. was deposited into my account this morning.   That was FAST!  But, the fine print did say it would be deposited upon approval, so...

I do have a hotel stay coming up in Dec., and I managed to find a use for this cert - but I would've got more bang for my buck had I used it for a reservation next June. Oh well, at least I can use it!  Now I just have to try to be clever to see if I can get my anniversary date extended!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...