39 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2015 10:42 AM by scottdinap RSS

Is the TVL rate eligible for nights and points credit ?

markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a Marriott Rewards member for 18 years. I am currently Platinum and heading (hopefully) for Platinum Lifetime Membership.

I am employed by an airline but often travel independently during my time off (paying myself and booking myself) for leisure purposes. I sometimes use the TVL (Travel Industry) rates that are bookable using the TVL code on the Marriott Website. I usually am asked for my company ID to verify I am entitled to use the rate. The rate often is more expensive than some publicly available rates so I obviously use the best value rate at the time of booking (which indicates the rate is not  always that discounted), and often friends on corporate discounts (such as IBM and other big companies) have cheaper rates than I for the same dates).

I have always in the past received points and nights credit on all the rates I have paid including TVL rates but recently a hotel refused me the benefits saying the rate did not entitle me to any points or nights. I questioned this and was made to feel rather like a naughty schoolboy for having the cheek to ask.

I wanted to confirm that I was correct and then approached Marriott Guest Services, who could not help and passed me to Reservations, and eventually I was transferred to somebosy in San Antonio who was very helpful and looked up the rules and said as far as she could see the only rates not eligible are 3rd party rates (i.e. Expedia etc) and FAMtastic and Friends and Family rates, and some bulk or privately negotiated rates. TVL rates were not mentioned so must be OK.

Can someone confirm this so if I have a problem with it again I can argue with confidence (in particular at the hotel I just left as I am a regular there). It does seem strange that nobody seems to know for sure.

Can I suggest that if any rates are not eligible it should be included in the drop down rate rules box on the booking tool.

Hope you can help

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is the TVL rate eligible for nights and points credit ?
    erc Platinum

Ha, it turns out my first response was apparently your posting on Flyertalk! Oh well, let's try this and see if you get a response.

NathalieF  since you guys can answer this, it's really a matter of whether you want to or not - can you shed some light on this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'll include johnl on your question.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

yes absolutley it is included in "stays" and points, if you have been denied this then go directly to Marriott rewards customer service. There is nothing in the rules that prohibit accruing points or stays using TVL. I have used it myself and have never had an issue.

erc Platinum

Community Manager - Thank you for forwarding

Markzz2 - johnl is a Marriott Associate and of late has been the 'answer man' effectively wrapping up at least eight questions like yours. If you don't hear from him in the near future (he's been contacted by the moderator of this forum) then it must be because Marriott apparently does want to formally acknowledge what you, jamesdean above, and others have observed in practice. We'll see how it plays out.

Thank you for your responses......

I cannot imagine why Marriott would not want to officially tell me the "unpublished" rules to the rates, but guess that is how they want it...

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hey folks,

I apologize for the lateness of my reply on this issue.  The information that I have says that these types of rates are not eligible for credit.  However, I have come across quite a few examples where the hotels have sent them through.  Let me do a little more research on this issue and get back to you.

Thanks again for your patience, and I apologize again for the wait.

Thanks,

JohnL

With respect JohnL that seems very strange unless the rules have just changed.

I have always received credits until my most recent stay.

If the rules have just changed I think this should be noted on the Rate Rules Box. Something like "this rate is not eligible for nights or points credit". Then at least I can make my decision on whether to book with Marriott with correct information.

I will be rather upset however if Marriott are happy to say goodbye to my 50-80 nights a year at rates that are generally significantly higher than the major corporate rates (such as IBM) which ARE eligible.

smilen_milen Platinum

This is interesting to me, as I had a similar situation after a stay at the Dusseldorf Marriott in September. As a corporate flight crew, we alternate paying for the hotel rooms in accordance with who is stuck with the paperwork for a particular trip, but we have never had an issue with the TVL rate over many years.

Once I returned home, I waited for several weeks for the points and nights to be posted to my account. I finally called the hotel back, and was told that the hotel was booked under the TVL rate and was therefore ineligible for points or nights. I have since been communicating with the Marriott office in North America for several weeks, with little success. Recently, it seems that they finally posted the points and nights (ALL the points) to the account of the person who paid at the hotel, but I have still not received anything.

If there is an issue with the TVL rate in the future, that would have big implications to the hotel plans of our entire flight department. We only book the TVL rate about half the time, for as you mentioned, the other half the TVL rate is actually higher than the rack rate, but it would make enough of a difference that it would affect our platinum levels (usually a standard 80 to 90 nights per year).

Lets see how this unfolds...

Yes, this would be very dissapointing, I dont use TVL very much however if they dont grant stays & points I will not book Marriott, especially if they change the rule without even the telling us and stating as such. Usually the tvl rate is not that great anyway and during peak times it not even available....sad we even have to deal with this issue...

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I use to be in the travel business and would go on fams (familiarization trips) where we go to a destination like Bermuda, and stay overnight one night, but visit 10 properties in a day, for 2 days, having breakfast at one, lunch at another, and dinner somewhere else, so we recommend to clients where to stay.  Most often our stays were complimentary based on either personal or agency sales.  There is not one Marriott that did not recognize my platinum status and upgrade me to a great room, and give me all my privileges including points even though I had not paid for the room.  Same was true of airlines, we have upgrades to 1st but we were required to be dressed appropriately (blue suite, blue pumps, and yes, for women stockings...on another funny note, I was dressed in my travel blues for cruising and had my nautical jacket with gold braid on.  When I arrived at the port, after checkin, they told me the ship was ready for me, so I boarded.  While I was standing in line I noticed everyone else had employee ID badges. I actually boarded the ship early before preboard, cause I was in travel garb and they assumed I was crew or a travel agent).

Since we worked in the travel industry and were going influence people in making travel decisions they knew in the long run it was best that we had a good feeling about their property and recommended it.

you have information TVL is not good for "stays" and "points", great what is that??????

Hey folks,

I'm still working on this.  I will get back to you when I have an answer.  I just want you to think I had forgotten.

Thanks,

JohnL

Still no real response.

You would think that each rate would have a list of rules and conditions that would be easy to refer to.

I now have a trip involving 20 nights at various Marriott properties in which I am using (amongst others) some TVL rates and still I do not know officially whether the rate I am using is eligible for points/nights credit (although they have applied them previously).

I have been in touch with the European Rewards Office, the US Rewards Office and reservations and a lovely lady in San Antonio, they all said they "think" it is ok.

It would be good if someone could respond with an official answer

I think it is safe to say your TVL stays will be credited, if there was a definitive answer, in this case "NO" the TVL stays do not count, then we would no by now.

What probably is happening is some opinions on the matter are being put forth. Without this being stated in rules and regulations it isn't likely that any hotel could deny your credits and even if they did a call to Marriott Rewards would straiten it out.

I am in the same boat, I have 10 nights coming up in a week and some are TVL and I'm not expecting any problems. If however there is, I will most certainly keep this board informed and follow through with MR.

I think my question has been answered by the three hotels I have stayed in this week as each one has posted nights and points already for the stays on TVL rates without any prompting..

I am relieved and reassured and should any of the next bookings not get credited I will use these as examples of what should be happening.

I am disappointed that the answer to a simple question should take this long to get answered. It is a rate rule, it should be written down somewhere where it can easily be referred to (if not by the customers at least by Marriott themselves!).

The answer to the question is that the TVL rate is technically ineligible for credit.  It really just depends on how the hotel is submitting the information to Marriott Rewards.  If it is submitted with all of the coding to indicate that it is a TVL rate, the system should purge it from the system.  However, if it is submitted in such a way that the system does not purge it, then Marriott Rewards credit will be posted.

I apologize for the amount of time it took to respond.  This is a strange issue where our terms and conditions say one thing, but then the system appears to let some of them slip through the cracks.

Thanks,

JohnL

Oh WOW, cant believe that they would have some conviluded process, where is that stated????

I think for me its simple, they pull that one on me and its "exit stage left"....

vickisocal Platinum

How is a traveler supposed to know this if it is not stated in the rate rules?

Any rate that is not eligible for Rewards should state it explicitly in the rate rules. No exceptions.

erc Platinum

I think we are going to find several similar cases where T & Cs state one thing and reality is something else. I appreciate that you made the effort to dig up the formal policy. Now, of course the risk we travelers face, is that the formal T & Cs almost always favor Marriott and the real world practice is often a concession made by a customer service oriented local operator/owner, who understands (and lives by) the value of good customer relations and the fiscal impact of positive word of mouth.

We Insiders will pledge to you that we won't hammer you  (Marriott is a different target), if you continue to keep us informed like this. Hopefully by the 8th time this type of situation occurs, some policy maker at Marriott will get serious about clear communication (and hopefully, they won't take it out on you guys either).

Thank you for getting back to us about this John.

I cannot tell you though how disappointed I am.

As a big Marriott fan (always paying my own bill and choosing the hotel myself), I am now faced with a difficult choice. I risk it and carry on as I am, but knowing that at any time I may be refused benefits because I am considered ineligible due to the rate I use sometimes, or I move to Starwood where they DO award full benefits on their own Travel Industry rates.

As vickisocal mentions anything like this should be mentioned in the rate conditions and rules so that we can make an informed choice at the time of booking.

On the other hand, in over 20 years of using these rates I have only been refused once or twice, and this past few weeks have stayed 20 nights in 5 different properties worldwide and not been refused at all. Seems a pretty pointless rule to me! (But still annoying as we will never know until the points do not post!).

Incidentally, a friend who uses the IBM corporate rate (which is sometimes 50% of what I pay with a TVL rate, always get points and nights, so if the rules are based on cost and value how can that be right?).

Perhaps it might be a good time for Marriott to change the "official" rules and "Officially" allow points and nights on these rates.

Johnl, could you post the "policy wording" here so we can actually see what we are dealing with, to me its still a "he said, she said" and without an actuall written policy/rule written in the Terms and conditions, Im at a loss to see how it can be enforced one way or another.

However like other MR members the uncertainty of not knowing for sure clouds the issue and will definetly sway bookings for my 2013 travel year. I will turn Plat this year, using only a handful of TVL's but it really poisons the well to treated this way.....

Hey folks,

It appears that I got a hold of some incorrect information.  One of my colleagues has informed me that the TVL rate is indeed an eligible rate for Marriott Rewards credit.

I sincerely apologize for providing the wrong info to you all.

Thanks,

JohnL

erc Platinum

Thank you for the update. This should please all tvl users, an additional weapon in the pricing war, along with the justified points. Maintain the open communication and you'll always have our professional respect and appreciation. Believe me, we've all misunderstood T & Cs and other rules, they can sometimes defy logic; have I mentioned AAA rates? - ha, an Insider insider joke. Keep on keepin' on, johnl.

Thanks for the update John!

I am delighted to hear the news that TVL rates are eligible, but after you had so much difficulty finding out the real rules it now does not surprise me that some hotels have difficulties as well....

I am printing out this thread to show to any hotel that may not post the points .

I still agree with Vickisocal that the eligibility should be mentioned in the rate rules, so when you book it is clear.

Appreciate your help and thanks for pursuing this!

Eddieinwashington Platinum 5 Reviews

Wish I had read this discussion thread before I had this issue.  I just traveled to the UK and as I work for a US Flagged commercial carrier used the TVL to book a 3 night stay.  When I arrived back home and did not receive stay or point credits I sent a inquiry to MR requesting credit.  In return I received:

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

Our reservation records verify your stay was booked using the Famtastic rate.  This rate is a special, deeply discounted rate contracted through Marriott as a feature of the Hotel Excellence program and is ineligible for credit.  This information may be verified through the Hotel Excellence help desk at 1-800-831-3100.

I apologize for any confusion and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Internet Correspondence Specialist

Marriott Rewards Guest Services

I have no clue what a Famtastic rate is.  I only wish I knew about this thread before I booked using the TVL as it was not that much of a discount and I could have used the AAA and received breakfast.  I am not going to fight this down.  However, if TVL does not accumulate stays / points, then,  as already outlined by others, it should be noted as such at time of booking.  I am content to look at other programs that will meet my travel needs.

Oh boy, here we go again...yep not what any of us wanted to hear, might be wise for MRCS to use spell check on that reply too.

Did you follow through with MR customer service yet?

Really sorry to hear this and its I know its disappointing for you as well.....follow up and keep this board aprised of what unfolds.

Cheers JD

Eddieinwashington Platinum 5 Reviews

Update:  After several emails back and fourth I was credited with nights and points.  However, at least for me, it appears that the use of rate TVL, in Europe, does not accrue nights or points.  I never did receive information as to how one would know this via the booking site but was directed to call a help desk (see above post).  I never did call the help desk as I was looking for information on T&C and not for a verbal this is the way it works.

The bottom line:  Don't expect nights and points when using a qualifying TVL rate in Europe.  EEH.

mozbob Silver

Hello

has anything changed in relation to the eligibility of TVL rates for points and stay credits?

I've completed a Missing stay request for my stay at the Renaissance São Paulo, which has been rejected by UK Marriott Rewards, as it was booked as TVL rate. There's nothing mentioned in their rates rules, as AC Hotels usually do, and can't find any change to the general terms and conditions. Who should I reach out to, if I want to escalate this?

thanks

scottdinap Platinum

Reviving this thread- I am having issues getting credit for stays using the TVL rate as well- just started the end of February.

Has something changed with the Marriott Rewards program and the TVL rate?

beenaroundtheworld Gold

Add me to the list -- a recently created a new discussion topic when my stay on 12Feb at CDG airport was rejected. Told I had a Famtastic rate?!?

mozbob Silver

My stay in question has in the meantime be credited after some discussion.  According to the Helpdesk agent something has changed and she was going to double check with the head office in the US. However, never heard back after that.

If it changed, it should be updated in either the general T&Cs or the relevant rate rules (like AC Hotels does).

Seems to me that Marriott isn't too clear about this internally and therefore there's no clear statement from them.

FamTastic rates are not eligible, but they're booked under a different corporate code that's only accessible with a separate logon with password.

I just had the same issue after years of receiving credit at the Amsterdam Marriott on the TVL rate I paid EUR169 plus tax for a night and was told as my rate was deeply discounted (actually only 10 euro less than the full rate) I would not be receiving nights or points credit.

I called Marriott Rewards in Ireland and eventually thanks to a very helpful gentleman did get the points but I was also told I was using a "Fantastic rate" which I was not.

It is a situation that needs to be sorted once and for all. Are the TVL rates allowed to accrue points and nights or not ?Many times my associates who use other corporate rates at the same hotels as I use the TVL rate get a much better deal (BOE,BOA are two examples), a cheaper rate and points and nights, which i do not understand. The TVL rate is often not cheap, and usually in Europe the same rate as the Advance Purchase rate without the advance payment required.

To be honest it has made me reconsider my stays at some destinations, and I will from now always phone the hotel or e mail them to check the conditions before I commit to a stay. Not ideal and actually quite inconvenient. This could be so easily solved if someone at Marriott made a decision and included the result in the terms and conditions.

dkbrigs27th Platinum

I just talked with Marriot and they had not heard of not getting your points or credit for the stay. But, I informed them that I had not received points nor credit for three stays recently and after looking into this, they had discovered the TVL is no longer eligible for points or credits for the stay. They were surprised as I was.

I'm pissed. I run a flight department for a corporation which spends more than $250.000 a year at Marriott and our pilots will not stay with Marriott again.

r.sharp Platinum

It is sometimes suggested that TVL rates are fam-tastic rates but this is not correct. Famtastic rates are only bookable via a special website (see link below) and require an IATA, ARC or TIDS number.

TVL rates are eligible according Marriott's T&C.

Marriott Launches Reinvigorated Travel Agent Website - Marriott News Center

dkbrigs27th Platinum

For some reason, when I booked the stay as TVL, it was changed to this" Famtastic Rate". I did not change it. So, what's going on? I've been with Marriott since 2000 and have never had an issue until February of this year.

Dave

Premier Platinum

Lifetime

dkbrigs27th Platinum

For some reason, when I booked the stay as TVL, it was changed to this" Famtastic Rate". I did not change it. So, what's going on? I've been with Marriott since 2000 and have never had an issue until February of this year.

Dave

Premier Platinum

Lifetime

mindydog83 Silver

I also work for an airline.  Was Gold with Marriott but I have stopped staying there unless it is the only option in small towns.  I would book either AAA or TVL rate which are often the same and sometimes I had to be careful because TVL rate would be higher.  I would sign up for promotions and was very happy with Marriott.  All of a sudden, I stopped getting credit or even points for what I paid when using TVL rate.  This is a CORPORATE rate and not booked through a third party.  I called Marriott Rewards and the girl kept telling me third party reservations are not eligible.  Often I booked TVL instead of AAA because in my day, it was a benefit to let the hotel know you worked in the travel industry as they know that we are the ones who so frequently recommend places to stay to people.  I would show my ID at check in.  They did not give me the bonus points for the promotions...nothing.  Made several phone calls to Marriott and would get a very cloudy answer.  They have really low rates for travel agents (not booked in the TVL corporate rate) and they kept bringing them up and the third party thing.  Well, I gave up.  I have stayed a at Marriott in a few towns that do not have a Sheraton but have gone back to Sheraton where I am Gold and they really treat you well. I  no longer recommend Marriott first to others because they have lost my trust since no one seems to be able to answer my questions.  I will stay and use the travel rate if they are the only option but I am no longer going to invest in Marriott.  The bottom line also is that TVL rates are only offered when the hotel is not at all close to capacity so we aren't taking rooms away that they would have been selling.  I hope the Marriott folks that read this will realize that your employees are so confused and you have made a very loyal group of travelers very unhappy.  If you would have always done this, it would be one thing but I have paid the same or literally a couple dollars less using the TVL rate instead of the AAA rate.  Do you know that Starwood even gives credit for stays on Free nights?  I guess that is why they continue to be voted #1 hotel program.  I would love to use Marriott again because I like the hotels especially when outside the cities where there are not always great options but I will no longer use them first.  Please get your information straightened out and at your meetings discuss that the TVL rate is a corporate discount for a loyal group of travelers in a common business and ARE NOT BOOKED BY A THIRD PARTY.  I traveled so much this summer but only two nights at Marriotts because of this.  Also, why do I not even get credit for the money I spend on the room as points????  I am spending money at your hotels.  Makes no sense.  Did you know starwood gives you welcome points even on free nights for Gold Members?  If you decide to want us back, please let me know.  Also, the RIGHT thing to do if you decide years into this to stop crediting TVL rates is to have a clear answer and let people know that you are going to STOP.  Don't just stop giving credit and your employees do not know why.

Thanks.

hitraveler Silver

I was also extremely upset to learn that I did not earn points for my 3 night stay using this code.  It worked just a week earlier at a different hotel.  When I called customer service, they informed me that it's in the terms and conditions (see link below under #9.  The thing that makes me extremely displeased is that it's not clear in the rate rules when you book your stay.  The friends and family code does clearly say that you don't earn points on the rate rules, but TVL does not say that.  You basically have to find it buried in the terms and conditions page.

Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions

scottdinap Platinum

I am now Hilton Gold, close to Diamond.  I've never done that before- until Marriott changed the TVL rate policy.

Hope Marriott takes note- those would have been sold Marriott rooms (times 4, as I book rooms for a total of 4 people), but our business went to Hilton where they honor special rates with points/stays.