28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2014 7:42 AM by brightlybob RSS

What is Roomkey.com?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

And why does it pop up with various hotel suggestions when I am looking at the Marriott site?  I did notice that Marriott, and several other hotels, have an affiliation with Roomkey.  Why would Marriott try to get me to consider another chain, when I want to reserve a Marriott room?  Not sure I understand that logic.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What is Roomkey.com?
    erc Platinum

Nuhusker

I remember when this came out earlier this year, I had the exact questions as you. This was one of the better explanations I found at that time;

Room Key: A Winner or a Fool's Errand? - Monday, 23rd January 2012 at 4Hoteliers

And after reading it, I still wasn't clever enough to see why it would be beneficial to the partner hotel firms, but I wrote it off as another nuisance to old line guys like me, that in Marriott's view wouldn't cost them my type, yet by using an additional distribution channel, might aid in the pursuit of the 'sexy' younger business traveler, much like the tv networks and films chase (one more shot across the bow to this dinosaur).

And as you can see, the author had similar questions as us. Thanks for posting this issue, I'm just as curious to hear the responses.

PS - I remembered we had an ever so brief discussion about this on Insiders in March  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/43667#43667

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for that info, erc.  I have been getting this pop up for several months, probably since it was initially discussed in January, and I've noticed that it doesn't come up with every reservation I'm checking out on marriott.com.  I simply find it to be a nuisance.  I don't use "OTA's" and am not interested in staying at another hotel brand nor do I care what they are charging.  I wonder if there's some way to turn it off, or otherwise keep it from popping up.  It ranks right up there with the Marriott Rewards Credit Card link under My Account.  We've talked about that before too.  I have a Marriott credit card, and don't want another one.  Another nuisance...but then I ain't havin' a good day.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks Nuhusker for your question – We’ve reached out for some additional information. As far as what Roomkey.com is, it’s essentially a research site that allows you to quickly shop and compare all available hotels in a given market.  But it’s not a booking site, so you can still return to Marriott.com (or other partnering hotel sites) to make your reservation. You should generally not see the Roomkey pop-up if you are signed into your Marriott Rewards account.

Bigmrm offered a good summary a few months ago, “Roomkey.com is a little unique because you can compare most major brands right next to each other. You can sort by distance or price, so it's easy to see if that chain which offers free breakfast on the weekend is really a better deal than the Marriott next door. You're eligible for any frequent stay programs because when you decide on a room to book you are taken directly to the hotel's website and book directly with the hotel -- roomkey is NOT a third-party booking site.

So don't expect unusual bargains here. In fact, just the opposite since you may have rate codes available to you which won't factor into the prices you see. But it's great for seeing what's around and getting an idea of the prices.”

Nope, it pops up even when I'm signed in to Marriott.com.  Very annoying.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Agreed - call me grumpy if you want, but please let me join the chorus on this. I originally thought it was a bug on my computer, or I would/should have complained earlier....

It's a nuisance (and an unnecessary distraction, even if it's a small one).  It also leads to unnecessary brand confusion/diffusion.

Community Manager and others: Please make it go away!!!

OK, that's enough complaining for today - now I'm exhausted!  Thanks for listening...

vickisocal Platinum

I hope Marriott realizes how very, very annoying it is to have this pop up. I go to Marriott.com to look for rooms at a Marriott property. If I wanted to look at multiple chains I'd go to Expedia or Orbitz.

Well, it seems like you and me are the only who think it's a nuisance.  The community manager basically said that's just the way it is and told me it wouldn't happen if I was signed in to my marriott account.  WRONG!  It happens regardless of whether I'm signed in or not.  What a pain!

sg1974 Gold

you are the not the only one's that think it's a nuisance!

I'm glad to hear that.  Now there are 4 of us.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Make the list larger as I also find it to be a complete nuisance and waste of my time to get rid of it each time I check a rate and click on a hotel.

Flyer -- Coincidentally, or maybe not -- I don't know, but I haven't had a problem with Room Key for the past couple of months.  That could be, however, that I haven't made a lot of reservations during that time.  Either way, the nuisance is gone...for now.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

The community manager basically said that's just the way it is and told me it wouldn't happen if I was signed in to my marriott account.  WRONG!  It happens regardless of whether I'm signed in or not.  What a pain!

Nu - you're exactly right that the configuration has changed since we first looked into roomkey so you could see the popup when signed in. Didn't mean to lead you astray but I'll keep an ear to the ground and let you know if anything changes.

NathalieF

Thank you for responding.  I'm jsut wondering who controls the roomkey pop up?  Is this something Marriott can disallow on their web site?  Or is it something that I can adjust the settings on my own computer?

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

i too am annoyed by this popup. i have popups blocked and it still appears.  i would prefer that Marriott.com discontinues their relationship with this company.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Pops up for me as was said, after sign in to MR. I even have pop ups blocked in my settings, but this bugger still comes up, really annoying, and Marriott should cease allowing it. If I want to compare, there are way better sites than room key. I hope Marriott makes a ton of money from the pop up, otherwise, please, please, stop making it pop up! Does MR really want to annoy it best customers (or any customers for that matter).

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I'm with all of you that find the Roomkey pop-up very annoying.... just wanted to chime in, too.

taxman415 Platinum

I agree.. Roomkey.com has got to go... Happy Hunting...

netmgr Platinum 7 Reviews

Add me to the list of multi-year platinum Marriott customers who find this TOTALLY ANNOYING AND INTRUSIVE.  Every time I see the pop-under, it reminds me that I might as well be searching travelocity for the best rate from ANY brand. This "feature" de-values the Marriott brand to me. Trustable / high value brands do not use tactics like this.

blujagu Member

I have created a free Chrome browser extension that effectively blocks the Room Key popup on all associated hotel web sites.  It can be installed via the Google Chrome Store here:

Chrome Web Store - RoomKey Ad Blocker

Enjoy and please add a positive rating while you're there.

~ Blu

volkenstein Silver

Yes - why would Marriott have the incentive to have the Roomkey.com popup??? It's a nuisance for Marriott site visitors and (I can't see how, economically, it couldn't) has the potential to drive site visitors to book a non-Marriott hotel. Very, very strange.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Add me to the list of those who think Room Key is TOTALLY annoying.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

When it was first introduced I was convinced I had picked up some malware and went nuts trying to figure out how to get rid of it. 

aratermann Member

I personally have found a good solution to the Roomkey intrusion,  I do not book through the Marriott site.  I use Other Travel Booking sites like Expidia, Hotels.com and Travel Advisor.  This way I do have to put up with the annoying marketing by Marriott etc. 

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Of course by booking through those other sites you don't earn any Marriott points other than on incidentals or get night credit.  I'm probably put up with roomkey rather than give up those.

Cheers.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I well remember roomkey, annoying popup when going to the Marriott site. As far as I can recall it only lasted a short time (as an annoying popup) and i don't recall seeing to for at least a couple of years now. Good riddance, I say!

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Well it's alive & well in the US.  Annoying yes, but it's just a click to make it disappear.  It's really, really, really far down on my list of things to be annoyed about when thinking of Marriott

Cheers.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Totally agree, skiadcock, whilst in retrospect I'm pleased to see its gone I don't remember noticing it's demise, hence annoying, but not hugely so, there are many bigger fish to fry than Roomkey - though I still say "good riddance" to it, and am disappointed its still bothering Marriott's US customers...

erc Platinum

This is now a two year old post and as bob and ski write above, it's fortunately a non-issue for the most part. Marriott will continue testing what they consider to be reasonable potential profit enhancers, as most companies would. They respond (sometimes faster than others) according to the outcome (with a much broader margin of error given the strength of the industry). Outcomes that don't necessarily please various constituents, (like the one day cancellation policy, which was somewhat implemented to offset the newer apps that inform customers of rate drops, down to the day of arrival) Marriott will still execute if in their opinion the net result is beneficial to the hard charging, record setting organization. Even the plea of 'lodgers unite' falls on deaf ears with little impact in this tidal wave of demand exceeding supply, because currently most all dissatisfied customers are easily and quickly replaced (by both new travelers and dissatisfied competitor customers, since competitors are pretty much moving in lockstep with their tactics).

Here's hoping stuff like Roomkey is our major setback, of the lesser of two evils, I would prefer irritation over less cash.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...