17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 5:56 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Cologne Christmas Markets

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

We will be visting Cologne at the end of the month mainly to see the Christmas markets.

We'll be staying at the Marriott there, just wondering if anyone had stayed in this one before?

Also what other interesting sites would you consider worth seeing apart from the Cathedral?

SG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Cologne Marriott Hotel
Innsbruck, Austria
  • Re: Cologne Christmas Markets
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SG,

Can't help you here, only there once, and it was in the early 70's!

I do have one "Favor to ask you" that would mean a lot to me.  If you have time (I don't remember seeing it"), there is supposed to be a plaque commemorating   A group of US Soldiers, who liberated the city.  A friend of mine's father got The Congressional Medal of Honor there, and his name is supposed to be on the plaque, his last name was:

Dyer

If you see this name, would you take a picture and post it or email it to me?  Don't go out of your way,

Thank-you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

JC,

I'll look out for the plaque. If you are able to narrow down where it may be, then I will take the photo for you.

SG

SG,

I hope it is easy to find!  I have no idea where it is located in that huge sanctuary!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear sg,

Cologne is an enjoyable city provided you pitch your expectations at a realistic level; as you will know, it is neither a big, nor a capital, location. That said, I always find sufficient to do to keep me occupied.

The Marriott is very close to the main station (i.e. 3/4 mins walk). It is a '70's building that recently has enjoyed a substantial internal refurbishment. The Executive Lounge is quite spacious and very generously stocked, both at breakfast and in the evening; bedrooms are quite large and well furnished etc. The lobby bar is striking in that it resembles the bridge of a ship!

The city, particularly the older sections (though much was destroyed during WW11) - the Alte and Heuemarkt - are interesting and provide for enjoyable strolls and - if it takes your fancy-  shopping. My favourite walk though involves going from the Hotel down to the Rhine and then heading downstream to the Zoo Bridge, crossing over to the eastern side and then walking back down the river, crossing  back over at the Hohenzollen Bridge (rail), which brings you out adjacent to the Dom, the main Concert Hall and Roman Museum. This usually takes me around 40/50 mins by which I need (and partake of) a glass of something or other!! One very good features of the city centre is that there are many places to enjoy a quiet drink.

If you like taking trips, both Aachen and Bonn are with easy reach by train. The two nearest airports - Cologne/Bonn and Dusseldorf - are also easily accessed by train.

All in all, a very relaxing, if not spectacular, location.

Best,

A

sg1974 Gold

A,

We just arrived. It was easy to get to from dusseldorf airport. Train about 40 minutes and then hotel 5 minute walk from cologne hbf. Nice friendly welcome from reception & she recognised elite status and let me know all that we are entitled to. Just enjoying the executive lounge that is open 7 days a week! Hotel looks nice & the rooms are a good size.

Look forward to exploring the Christmas markets.

Thanks for the information about the city.

sg

sg1974,

Enjoy you Christmas in Cologne!

I am South of you doing the same thing in Garmisch!  Saw a lot of snow this morning South of Munich, will have some pictures in the next few days.

Again, have a great trip and Merry Christmas to you!

sg1974 Gold

JC,

yes we are enjoying cologne seen a few of the markets and museums. Really nice atmosphere with all the christmas lights. The markets are beautiful. I've taken plenty of photos and will post some when I get back.

Hope you are having a good time and look forward to seeing you photos.

Merry Christmas.

sg

sg1974,

Yes, all is well here and we are enjoying the snow!

The ski slopes are not open, but the hospitality and good food are open!

Will have some photo's to share soon.  I am so sorry there are no Marriott properties in the area, I really miss the Renaissance here!

The Rendell, is a wonderful place in Garmisch-Partenkichner.  The have been very helpful!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Jerry,

Good to hear that you are having a good time - and taking a little exercise too!

I seem to remember from a past piece that you are also celebrating a birthday around now. If this is correct, have a great day, wherever you might be.

All best wishes,

A

arkwright,

Thank you so much!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and I wish you a very merry Christmas!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

sg1974 Gold

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the Cologne Christmas Markets.

Here are a few photos of the city and the markets:

Cologne Cathedral

DSC_0753.JPG

Hohenzollern Bridge. interesting to walk across and see all the locks on the bridge Hohenzollern Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DSC_0777.JPG

Cathedral Christmas Markets.

DSC_0850.JPG

DSC_0858.JPG

DSC_0873.JPG

Old Town Christmas Market

DSC_1096.JPG

DSC_1113.JPG

Fairy tale Christmas Markets (Rudolfplatz)

DSC_1164.JPG

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thank you for sharing such wonderful pictures.  Visiting the Christmas markets is on my bucket list.

sg,

Yes, wonderful pictures and information!

Glad all is going well, and please keep the story coming!

sg,

Hope you have a safe journey back!

Would you agree with me that the food in Germany is very good?  At the Christmas Markets, the grilled bratwurst is superb, and every dinner I have had has been exceptional.  The English language has never been a problem either, and this trip I am amazed at the number of English speaking tourists!

sg1974 Gold

JC,

We had a safe trip back.

I would agree the food at the markets in particular was very good. I ate more than my fair share of bratwurst, I don't want to see any sausages for some time now!

We didn't even need to go to any restaurants as we were snacking all day at the markets and then back at the conceirge lounge for hors d'eouvre's and drinks.

I would recommend the Marriott in Cologne it is good hotel for category 5. The conceirge lounge does get a bit busy though, but you are able to have breakfast in the restaurant instead and it was excellent.

There did seem to be plenty of tourists from the UK and USA.

Enjoying seeing your photos of your travels. Looks like you have had a bit of snow!

SG

sg,

This was a lot more than a bit of snow, it was a white out!

IMG_2895.JPG

sg, this is the view from my room!  Let it Snow, as the song goes!

You would enjoy the Christmas Market in Innsbruck, Austria as well!

IMG_2884.JPG

sg, you would enjoy this Christmas Market!  Wonderful scenery abounds this place in Austria!  Merry Christmas to you!

Location Brand Hotel
          Innsbruck, Austria

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...