84 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 7:30 AM by jerrycoin RSS

The times/songs of our lives

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We've already touched on this subject, but I think it is an interesting concept to trace the trajectory of our lives through music (the music that matters to us at different times, or for always), whether we were growing up, first working or in college, during marriage(s), in young and middle age, and as some of us go beyond.  Not to fear, the content of the music does not reflect personal directions in many cases. My dates are often off, because in high school and my first marriage I was only allowed to listen to music on TV or accidentally.

Here's my partial list, which I'm sure I could expand up enormously:

2011 Edith Piaf, Non, je ne regrette rien

2010 Andrea Bocelli Con Te Partira (my ringtone)

2009 Josh Groban (You Raise Me Up) - When my 18-1/2 year old cat, my true family died

2009 Westlife, Seasons in the Sun - knowing the end was near, also one of the songs I managed to hear as a teenager when allowed out of the house

2008 Dublin Ramblers, Fields of Athenry (first taste of Ireland)

2003 Neil Young, Prairie Wind - aging

c. 2000 David Bowie, Space Oddity -- the first time I appreciated one of my favorite songs

1999 Charlotte Church, Panis Angelicus (one of the inspirations for my book on Joan)

1995 Mary Hopkin, Those Were the Days - what might have been

1993 Sting, Fields of Barley -- The first time a song had affected me in a long time

1990 Jimmy Buffett, Margaritaville - Living on Cape Cod with my half husband, the bus driver, who showed me the whole US of A when not working, including the Keys

1978 Bonnie Tyler, If You Were a Woman and I were a Man (still trying to figure out if I could do what I wanted with my life)

1977 Charlene, Never Been to Me (figuring out France - but while I've lived the life described in some ways, I do not identify with the message)

1977 Cora, Amsterdam (my romance in France)

1977 Johnny Hallyday, Tennessee (my romance in France)

1977 Harry Chapin, I Wanna Learn a Love Song (much earlier, but my first time hearing it)

1976 Elton John, Nikita (the first song I heard in France and started changing my life)

1976 Carly Simon, The Way I Always Heard It Should Be (ending first marriage, realizing my gut had always been right)

1973 Barbra Streisand, The Way We Were (reevaluating my first marriage)

1971 Don McLean American Pie (wow, still one of my favorites to take me back in time)

1971 Doors, Riders on the Storm (young person philosophizing about life)

1971 Helen Reddy, I am Woman (working as a secretary, supporting a family not of my making, and questioning status quo)

1970 Credence Clearwater Revival, Bad Moon Risin' (just was)

1970 Gordon Lightfoot, If You Could Read My Mind - young romantic love thoughts rather than reality

1970 Peter, Paul and Mary, Scarborough Fair and Mrs. Robinson (plastics -- a new generation)

1970 Peter, Paul and Mary, Blowin' in the Wind (high school graduation song) - war

1970 Scott McKenzie, San Francisco - the summer of love redux

1970 spring trip to NYC play of 1776, Neil Young, et al, Ohio

1966? Monkees, I'm a Believer, Last Train to Clarksville (I was allowed to watch TV)

1964 - Beatles, Yesterday (thanks to the Ed Sullivan Show)

Anyway, this is a small part of my significant play list.  I always go back to the favorites, and I'm sure I left some out.  The 80s were mostly left out for a reason, since I liked very little of the music in that period, even though that husband had no problem with my listening to music.  I am endlessly fascinated by how a song can define a time, place and situation in our life.

Cheers, ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The times/songs of our lives
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

As usual, great stuff!

There will be a lot added to this post, and I will have more, but it is Saturday night, and I am cooking swordfish tonight.  So I just want to add one for my late, great wife, "The days of wine and roses"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

prof

Interesting list.I do not think any of your choices would make my list, but I remember most of them and liked many.  The list is an eclectic mix for sure.  I too will work on a list "for the ages" as it were in the coming days.  Just a hint of what is to come:  Soul music from the sixties (think Temptations, Supremes, Four Tops, etc), the late sixties and early seventies was a lot of folk music, Elvis, and of course, the British Invasion. This quickly turned to Rock n Roll and my favorite music to this day is the Rock and Roll of my youth.......

There are certain songs that "Just drop you in your tracks"!  You have hit upon a couple that I share!

"The Way We Where", I must admit I cannot stand Barbara S, but that song, and movie was great!

"Bye, Bye, American Pie", I had to pull the car over to just listen!

"The First Time I Saw your face", The same!

There are so many that, as you say, define your life!

Hi Jerry,

Yes, kindred spirits.  I think most of us who write on this page, in our different ways, experienced many of the same life times and experences, and I firmly believe that we always remember the circumstances when we first heard 'THAT' song.

You may have guessed I was playing my IPOD with many of them before I wrote, though then I looked through my collection and thought about what were most meaningful.  Not necessarily the ones I loved most, but the ones that seemed like turning points in my life.

Cheers to you and your wife, Jerry! ProfC

I must admit my love for everything Gordon Lightfoot, because Roberta Flack deserves the credit for First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.:)

Thanks, I could not remember, Roberta Flack!

Will have more!

Hi again Jerru,

None of my choice of songs were political commentary.  To me songs reflect a time and a place that touch me, and even if I disagree with them (as I often do nowadays), I still respect their artistic talents.  AND I figure we can always read into any song what we want to, just like I said with me and Charlene.

Enjoy your dinner, Jerry and Nancy!
            Cheers, ProfChiara

Professor,

Yes, I just got done with the grilled swordfish.

A great dinner and now it is time to exchange information about this place.  Will have more!

Cheers to You!

professor,

Thanks!

Professor,

Do you know Larry Graham, and his famous song (You can see it on U Tube), "One in a Million" describes my "Sweetheart"

Here's a picture from last week, in front of "The doors of Solomon, at The Temple, in Salt Lake City"  A very kind guide told us, this would be a "Lucky day" and it was!

IMG_2703.jpg

Yes, "One in a Million"!

I'll listen to it on youtube -- you look very happy!

Professor,

The Larry Graham u tube is the best to me!  Listen carefully to the words, they are very insightful!

Yes, I am very happy!  What a great week in Park City/SLC, and again I would not have gone had it not been for razor, and other MRI advice.

Booked another trip to Park City, early next March!  Want to see some snow!  By the way, a dinner at Stein Eriksen, will make you real happy!

IMG_2727.JPG

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Jerry and Prof,

I had the pleasure of seeing Roberta Flack perform with the Sydney Symphony at the Sydney Opera House a couple of years ago.  No one really wanted to go (looking back on it, I'm now scratching my head - what was wrong with those people!  Actually, my sister is 10 years younger, and my parents are a different generation, so that pretty much explains it...), so I went all by me lonesome.  It.  Was.  Phenomenal.  Better than phenomenal, but I have no word for that.  She was so amazing, and honestly I had forgotten just how many great songs she did.  Just love her, and love her songs.

I had an older brother who was in to Beatles, CCR, and the Stones.  Also the Doors, Moody Blues, and Pink Floyd, so that was my induction into the world of Rock and Roll, even though I was just barely getting myself weaned off of Disney soundtrack LP's, and - the Partridge Family (can't even believe that I just revealed that!)  At the same time, we also listened to a lot of Jazz in our house, due to my parents preference.  But other than my elementary and pre-adolescent predilections, the above mentioned was just what I was forced to listen to due to proximity.

I remember that Deep Purple, Steppenwolf and Three Dog Night were popular among my peers during that time (middle school), but I think that when I finally came into my own with regards to discovering the music that I (with a stress on 'I') liked, Roberta Flack was right there.  Killing Me Softly and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face were just wonderful songs.  And they still are.

pluto,

Great commentary, some shows are "Big Deals Not Worth it" and then there are memories of "Off the Chart" shows like Roberta Flack!

Hi Pluto,

How could I forget Three Dog Night (amply represented on my IPOD).  My favorites are East to be Hard and One is the Loneliest Number That You'll Ever Do.

Lucky you, getting to hear Roberta Flack!  That so cool.  I think when I was first 'allowed' to listen to music that didn't happen to be on radio or TV, CCR was probably my favorite.  But also the Guess Who (These Eyes, American Woman). Did you know they did a tour with TDN?

Maybe because I was music soul-deprived at the most impressionable years that songs that I hear by chance now take me exactly back to a time and place and how I felt or what I experienced then. A little scary too that I sometimes realize it was 30-40 years ago!

Oh man, I forgot about the Guess Who!  American Woman.  Totally defining of that young and brief period in my life, even though I was not yet - a woman!   In fact it just reminded me of that TV show 'Wonder Years.'  Haha

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

There is no way to remember them all, as there was so much good music.

And the ones we remember, to wittle them down to something representative

based on lyrics?

based on the amount of time listening to them - then? on a playlist now?

based on the music itself, e.g. dancing?

Me neither -- I was about 18.  As you may have guessed, I'm mostly into oldies from the 60s and 70s.

GP, not just lyrics, at least for me.  Cora's Amsterdam and a lot of CCR offers more than lyrics. It's not just the song that's sung but the way it's sung.

I listen on my IPOD now, having disposed of that very large and inconvenient portable boombox about 8 years ago (donated to a colleague whose child loves to listen to music that way).

Maybe I hate the 80s music because I'm no dancer.  I was forced to dance briefly at both of my official weddings, but my exes quickly figured out they were safer sitting down drinking champagne with me.  (It was yet another thing I was not allowed to learn or do as a child -- but in this case probably good for humanity as a whole, since I am horribly uncoordinated.)

Also I was married to my second ex (another grad student) in the 80s, and he only listened to classical music.  While I really like Holst and Mahler, that's about it.  But the songs I heard at those critical times in France bring me to tears nowadays (Nikita, just learning a new country and culture; (Quelque chose en nous de) Tennessee when I first began dating my French 'fiancé'; Cora's Amsterdam on vacation in the Ardèche with his family -- always for some reason when we went into stores.)  I can picture every moment that has anything to do with all of those songs.

ProfC,

Dancing was something I was stuck with since we have so many dancers in the family.

One of my cousin's was actually a dance major, taught dance, and was a golddigger.

My sister did 3 of 4 the Cecchetti exams, where you need the 4th to teach. Since she always wanted to do adigeo (with partner) but was too talk (you need to be 5 ft 4 in or less), she was always hitting up family members to practice with.  Of course I was a primary target.  I also was dragged through ballroom dancing as well.  The one thing I can say is she is the best lead on the dance floor, course many of the male dance partners she had socially were not thrilled about her leading.  More than one stormed off the floor in the middle of a dance complaining that she expects to lead. And my oldest friend is now into the ballroom dance as well.

Even though I felt like I had 2 left feet thrown in with all these dancers, I did spend my fair share of time on the dance floor and learned a thing or two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecchetti_method

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adagio

I have tried to do this, but I just can't.  I cannot whiddle my life, even one year of my life down to a song.  I didn't start really paying attention to popular music in terms of what I liked until I was about 10 years old and had my own transistor radio.  Suddenly the sky became the limit.  I listened to just about everything under the sun: the Beatles, the Stones, CCR, pop, rock, Motown (wonderful), even bubblegum pop (Sugar, Sugar - The Archies, One Bad Apple, Donny Osmond), Al Green, CSN, The Who, The Guess Who, Three Dog Night, Carpenters, Chicago, Sly and the Family Stone (We - are fam-i-ly...), James Taylor, Carly, Simon & Garfunkel, Elton, even gospel (Oh Happy Day).  I mean it just goes on and on and on!  Ride Captain Ride.  Remember that one? (73 men sailed, from the San Francisco bay, rolled off of their ship and here's what they had to say... ride captain ride upon your mystery ship... )  That's just one year of stuff.  It cannot be done!  I said oh-ooh-ooh, Domino.  Ain't no sunshine when she's gone, it's not warm when she's away... if you don't respect yourself ain't nobody gonna give a hoot, nanananana Respect Yourself.

Did you know that 'O-o-h Child' by the Five Stair Steps is on Rolling Stones top 500 best songs of all time?  I didn't either.

Ya, you got me.  But I will say... for me, it all started with two little songs...

American Woman, don't come hanging 'round my door, I don't wanna see your face no more...   and ...

I met a - gin soaked bar room queen in Memphis... She tried to take me upstairs for a ride... She had to heave me right across her shoulder... cuz I cannot seem to drink you off my mind!

Fast forward 4.2 decades, and if you listen closely, you'll hear me hummin' to the Maroon 5 tune

do do do do do do do do.  do do do.

do do do do do do do do.  do do do.

And I'll show you all

The moves like Jagger,

I've got the moves like Jagger...

My hat is off to both of you ladies!  And my next Marriott stay is in two weeks, unless I run away this weekend.  (The silly things we do to fill in the gaps in between stays, I guess... )

Spill the wine, dig that girl... now my brain won't shut up!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I love that song!!  Really cute and catchy, isn't it? 

Pluto,

At 1st I was having the same problem, looking at the long list for the year, trying to think what happened to me that year, and which was most important in my mind in terms of my life, and a song, and how to represent it.

But then after awhile, I just went with the song that grabbed me, or brought back memories.

Some I had completely forgotten about till I look at them

And in the later years they had one list for US releases, and another for Europe which was good, cause so much of what I have listened to over the years has been world music.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

You have a photographic memory, don't you?

I picture some things like that, like a seagull that was on the hood of our car when we went to Savannah, GA one year.  We got some popcorn at the candy store at the end of the cobble stone road and there were lots of seagulls who smelled it and flew to our car when we walked to the almost empty, public parking lot across the street.  I threw some popcorn up and they all flew in to get some.

There was one seagull that would land on the same spot on the hood of our car each time I got out to throw more before I ducked back inside out of their way.  He would just stare inside the car at me and I knew each time that he would land in the same spot and stare.  I called him Jonathan Livingston Seagull since he reminded me of him.     

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Roberta Flack is/was hard to beat.  Saw her at the Bamboo Bowl at Clark AB, PI in 73 or 74...compliments of the USO.

Prof.  This is cool.  What a great way to look back on, and perhaps even sum up one's life.  I especially like the commentary regarding the reason for the song choice.  Though I can only think of about a half dozen songs off the top of my head, I'll have to give this more thought.  May end up being a self-enlightening experience.  I'm sure that once the wheels get turning (Journey - Wheels in the Sky, 1978) there'll be a flood of music memories.

pluto,

Great comment!

One I would like to share for my one and only son, the chef, is James Taylor's "I've seen fire and I've seen rain"!  Because I have!

Hi ProfC,

Really digging deep again, but a very interesting exercise to think back over our lives, year-by-year, and associate it with music.  Was torn between the songs that reach the soul versus those that my mind analyzes and aligns with the years, so I sort of bounced back and forth, but used what came to mind first. Also I went forward in time, instead of backwards. I did omit 2005 and 2007-2010. Just couldn't think of anything, and then I realized those years were consumed with moving jobs and states, and grad school.

1970Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Diana Ross - Leaving on the Family Summer Vacation and leaving the 1st boyfriend behind for the summer
    1971Bob Seeger playing at local area high school dances
    1972Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum - released in 1967 - my CA cousins came to stay with us, and one that was a musician that kept playing this song over and over
    1973Leaving on a Jet Plane by John Denver - first year of living away from home and traveling back and forth
    1974Je t'aime... moi non plus - Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin -written in 1969 but I 1st hear it in in college in WDC with the French crowd
    1975The Hustle by Van McCoy - we danced the year away in WDC clubs
    1976Turn the beat around by Vicki sue Robinson - the year of the Latin Hustle in WDC and South of France (and Dancing to Abba - Singing Country Roads in France)

Dancing Queen by Abba - hooked on Abba while in France where it was played everywhere - back in WDC still enjoying Abba in the gym and on the dance floor as stress reliever in grad school

(singing Volare & Banana Boatman in the car with no radio)

1978Take a Chance on Me by Abba - more Abba in the US & in Canada - more stress relief in grad school
    1979Hot Stuff by Donna Summer - in the gym and on the dance floor - more stress relief in grad school
    1980Call Me by Blondie
    1981Mistaken Identity by Kim Carnes
    1982Fame by Irene Cara
    1983Flash Dance…What a Feeling by Irene Cara
    1984Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper
    1985Isla Bonita by Mdaonna - a friend that helped us move from WDC to NH loved Madonna and was always asking me to play Madonna
    1986Le Visage de l'Amour by Dalida
    1987Bamboleo by the Gypsy Kings
    1988Fahren Fahren auf Der Autobahn by Kraftwerk - recorded in 1974 - but we played it over and over on the 1st Germany trip driving on Der Autobahn
    1989Volare by the Gypsy Kings
    1990Hold On by Wilson Phillips which my cousin also used in for his movie, Bridesmaids
    1991Baila me by the Gypsy Kings
    1992New York, New York by Cleo Laine - while she recorded it in 1973, I did not discover it until 90s, and was escaping New England by traveling to NYC as frequently as possible.
    1993Non piu andrai farfallone amoroso from Le Nozze di Figaro - my ex had fallen in love with this song and was singing it constantly, and we saw this opera several times
    1994Macarena by Los Del Rio - This song was playing everywhere and so much fun to sing and dance to
    1995Turn the beat around by Gloria Estefan - love the revival of the song by Vicki Sue Robinson.  Remember hearing Gloria Estefan singing live in NYC at the Public Library one Sunday afternoon
    1996Macarena by Bayside Boys, and a remix by Los Del Rio - This song was playing everywhere and so much fun to sing and dance to
    1997Candle in the Wnd 1997 by Elton John - who could forget the horrible death of Princess Diana and everyone's sadness.  Also liked Don't Cry for me Argentina by Madonna
    1998Flamenco by Dalida - just love her music.  Beautiful voice, and she sings in so many different languages.
    1999One More Chance by Julio Iglesias, Jr - divorce time
    2000Its My Life by Bon Jovi - divorce music & traveling around Eastern Europe
    2001My City of Ruins by Bruce Springsteen - who can ever forget the World Trade Center Tradegy and the tribute show held instead of the Emmys which were postponied.
    2002Bailamos by Enrique Iglesias - with the World Trade Tradegy & Divorce in the rear view mirror, ready to get back to living life again
    2003Eugene Onegin Opera by Tchaikovsy - the Kirov was in Washington DC for the 1st time in many years. Last I could remember was when I was in college in the 1970s.
    2004The Golden Cockrel by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov - Saw this dream like performance for the 1st time in Moscow the year after the Moscow Theater Hostages which had not been performed since early 1900s. Realized I could travel to Russia and see several operas and ballets for less than seeing one performance in WDC or NYC.
    2006Hairspray Broadway Musical - wonderful piece of Americana that we enjoyed at an office offsite with the global team  Was interesting to see it through the eyes of my colleagues from other countries
    2011Anna Bolena by Donizetti through the MET HD series - can now enjoy the best of the opera world in Imax HD - have always enjoyed the classics involving princesses & queens
    2012The Ring Series by Wagner - after years of seeing it in pieces, finally saw all four pieces in order.  Just like my life, starting to fit together.

GP,

Wonderful list and you really should keep this handy and add to it!

It really defines a person.  I honestly have never even heard of a lot of these people.  Did see Donna Summers in STL, and she was "Hot Stuff", it was an outdoor event, and the crowd rocked!

Thanks for the list, I hope I can get my list together!  A few that will wind up on it:

Michael Rode the Boat Ashore, we'd sing it on the school bus, playing at Athletic events.

Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley, still listed to it today, can't get enough of it!

Smile!  Charley Chaplin wrote it and Tony Bennet sings it!  Great tune to use as a "Motto" in life!

JC,

I thought I would revisit it and perhaps create a couple of different versions.

This was more spontaneous, but really I should have decided to pick one that the lyrics represented my life, the music represented my life, or the one I listened to the most for that year of my life.

My spontaneous list is a smattering of all of the above

Hey Jerry.

I want to return a favor and give you some info on 'Hang down your head, Tom Dooley".  A few weeks ago, my wife and I were checking out the Blue Ridge Parkway and came across a monument to Tom Dula.  Enjoy.......

Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley

Source: Kingstontrio.com

I have been trying to figure out the ballad of Tom Dooley (Tom Dula) and I found a book by John Foster West who is a distant cousin of the girl killed, Laura Foster. She was said by many to be very beautiful. Tom was dark and handsome with curly hair. This took place in 1866 so that is pretty distant but having been gathering information from all sources with the stories beyond numerous and different; proposes many hypothesis.

Months, years, people all vary from tale to tale. There is argument even about Tom Dula’s age even by this author and it shows different dates on the boy’s more than one tombstone and I would figure his mother would have the age set right, surely. She had three sons and they all fought in the Civil War and Tom from the 42nd regiment was the only one to come home alive. I believe there was one sister.

Laura Foster, Tom's girlfriend has a married cousin, Ann Melton; that Tom has been messing with since he was about fifteen. It was said to have been told by Ann’s mother that the hanky panky took place in the house Ann lived in with her husband while he slept. This author says there was reported to have been three beds in one room and Ann's husband did not sleep with her. He was an older farmer and probably the only reason she married him but it didn't stop Ann.

Strange though it is told Tom went there and got in the bed with Ann's husband and then he would get in Ann's bed. Maybe even the husband knew what was going on but why would Tom ever get in his bed? Why did he not sleep in the third bed. It is one crazy story I can tell you that much.

I think Tom felt something special for Ann and it suggests she is around his age but I have a feeling she was older and showed him the sexual ropes pretty young and although he had many women and the whole lot of then had venereal diseases, I think Ann was his all the time lover.

I have never done research on folklore and I am sure this is the first time this distant cousin author has and this was fifty plus years ago with all he had until this time was stories handed down through the family. Now he has records he is poring over and stories from a dozen or more ways. He is trying to find what would be most believable with facts. I must say that although this was not the only book this man wrote I cannot brag too much on his gift of suspicion as I would my own. Maybe he was just a too good of a trusting man and although he took everyone’s tale into account there was more than once I had to wonder why he didn’t wonder why.

There was a sheriff Jim Grayson and surely that was on record somewhere and that could be believed but there was a Yankee some said was a teacher that had fallen hard for Laura, yet she rejected him. Some said his name was Bob Cummings yet in other tales he is Jim Grayson and according to this author there were no schools in this area before the Civil War or for many years afterward. So why would someone say he was a teacher, he questions? Because there were no schools does not mean that a Yankee come south could not be a teacher? This man though without argument, whatever his name was caused the suspicion, capture and killing of Tom Dula, that much is agreed upon. They would not have suspected or went after Tom I believe if not for this man, a stranger really, and someone in the story says that is indeed true. He nailed Tom as the murderer leaving no doubt in anyone’s mind. It was even said he found the grave, among many other tales but it was said 75 men went searching once Laura came up missing. Why was he never suspected?

Laura was pregnant (also with the disease Tom has brought her it is said) and she had packed up her clothes and took her daddy's horse to go meet Tom to elope and she comes up missing.

At least two men ran besides Tom and a third or fourth one was mentioned but one had an alibi and nothing is said of the others. Tom was working in another place, is that hiding? Maybe he doesn’t want to be around this town anymore and others ran too. Why? She was gone many weeks before she was found and it was said at a gathering Ann and a cousin Pauline got into an argument and Pauline (who they sometimes called Perline apparently) threatened to tell what she knew on Ann and with one thing leading to another it is found out that Pauline has gone with Ann and waited while Ann went further to visit Laura’s grave. Ann has told her that Tom killed and buried her. Laura was buried folded up with her head between her knees in a very short small grave. Sounds more like the work of a woman, no? Why was she checking the grave? Probably she could not be running around with a shovel so is she adding whatever to keep the barely buried body covered? Laura was stabbed in the left breast in one account, she was stabbed many times in another.

My real thoughts on it is since we are told Laura is eloping with Tom; is to question why he chose this time to murder her, they are sneaking off and she has a wad of clothing and her father’s horse. Ann goes wild and maybe she enlists the help of this Yankee that Laura rejected' to waylay Laura and one or the other or both kill her but the Yankee wants Tom to pay so even if he wouldn’t kill Laura he may help cover and make all look like Tom’s doing. These people as a whole just do not sound like Sunday go to meeting people, you know? Since Ann has been Tom’s lover since he was a child, she could probably persuade him to cover for her, protect her from death. I think he would do that and I think if he killed Laura he would have said so. He said he did not and I believe him.

Tom wanted to make sure Ann was not accused but he denied killing Laura. He was hung at Statesville, North Carolina at the gallows taking over ten minutes dying since his neck did not break. Ann died about ten years later from complications of her disease.

Tom Dooley; the first song I ever picked out on a guitar so many years ago and I never once considered Tom’s story. It was only words to me and a song you learned to play picking the guitar. Who didn’t play Tom Dooley? I probably thought more of it as a nursery rhyme. It didn’t matter he was bound to die, it wasn’t real. How could it be real? That never entered my mind.

It was said by two people that on the way to the gallows Tom told the Sheriff he had such a nice clean rope, he ort to have washed his neck. It is also claimed Tom wrote his own ballad. This is one story with too many unanswered questions we will never know the answers to and it won’t matter in the hereafter. What’s done is done.

I believe this was in the general area that the Boone's lived about a century or more before. Do all their ghosts remain there? Does Tom still haunt those grounds on the Yadkin River which so many claim to have such beauty but what I have seen of it ever is so thick and sickening looking with red mud clay….or is it blood… of a murder never solved?

Shoeman,

Great stuff!

Had no idea of any of this!

Thanks so much, and if you have a chance to see the Kingston Trio, please do!

By the way, If you get back to Washington, Mo., let me know.  I would love to buy you a refreshment at The American Bounty!  We would have a great "Chat" over this!

Jerry

I just today saw your response.  I will definately let you know if I will be in Washington, would love to enjoy a refreshment with you! 

Shoeman1000,

You are on!

There are a number of nice places to have a laugh and tell a "Travel Tale", or two!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

GemPrincess

I remember the "Bob Seeger System" well and attending dances in the high school cafeteria when he played on Friday nights.  It was always a good time!

Gm1.

What is the "Bob Seeger System"?

It sounds interesting, but I know nothing about it!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

It was name used by Bob Seeger and his band in the late 1960s before they hit it big.  They may have used it for a short time?  I might be dating myself.

gm1, you and me both, dating ourselves!

Also, I take it you were in MI at the time, as I thought they were just a local MI band until 1973.

Per Wiki, it says,

"As a locally successful Detroit-area artist, he performed and recorded as Bob Seger and the Last Heard and Bob Seger System throughout the 1960s. By the early 1970s, he had dropped the "System" from his recordings, and he continued to strive for broader success with other various bands.  In 1973, he put together The Silver Bullet Band, an evolving group of Detroit-area musicians, with whom he became most successful. In 1976, he achieved a national breakout with the album Night Moves"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Seger

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

GemPrincess,

Yes, I was born and raised in Michigan.  I grew up in a suburb not far from Detroit.

Great list, GP!  And Jerry -- how could I have missed Fire and Rain? It's one of my all time favorites and definitely associated with a particular time and plaxe.

ProfC,

Its easy to miss them looking back over so many years.

I had to use Wiki Music lists by year to stimulate my thinking, and the format changed over the years.  Sometimes I was looking at a list of 5 and sometiems 40.

Also, I would remember a song, but not the year, so I would look up the song, see the year, and then need to think about when I first heard it. This was particularly true of lesser known artists that I discovered later in life (Dalida, Cleo Lane, Gypsy Kings)

Professor,

I recently saw him live and maybe it was just me, but I am the only person I know that did not think the show was that good!  Friend of mine, can't get enough of James Taylor. 

PS -- For those of you who know French, here's Quelque chose en nous (de Tennessee) by Johnny Halliday.  One of the first music videos I ever saw -- and a perfect explanation of an American-French romance.

Quelque chose de Tennessee - Johnny Hallyday - YouTube

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

OK Prof...you have really struck a 'chord' here with me. What a great topic. Although I could never put together a 'full' list of all the songs and places that added a 'shape' to my life and it's direction....I can give a couple of examples that are so meaningful to me that they have impact to this day.....and one was brought back by the 'list' in your first posting....so, here goes....

The first song that ever had an impact on me was when I was a 'very young' 13 year old and had a 'crush' on a young gal who lived in my neighborhood and went away to 'summer camp'. I was 'broken hearted' as I spent my summer wondering what she was doing and how I somehow 'missed' her being around. My parents always told me it was just 'puppy love'.......and they were right....but then that song that came along that so aptly described my 'summer' in 1962....and here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qISV2HaPpZU

But, even though I got over that 'puppy love' thing.....I did have that record......and when I went to high school in 1963..... and then the 'Beatles' came along and me and four other classmates formed a band.........(and the band name is in that record label)

Well, let me tell you........(and please don't take this as a bragging deal).....we got really good. We would win those (anybody remember these?) 'Battle of the Bands' contests and then we got offered a 'contract' (a big word for a 14 year old) to play the college mixers at the University of Massachusetts Boston campus every Friday night and the UMass Amherst campus mixers every Saturday night. We also played during the summer at the old (some northeasterners will remember this) Surf Club in Nantasket/Hull Massachusetts (where many big groups such as The Kingsmen, The Doors, The McCoys (Hang on Sloopy), The Turtles, The Beach Boys and many others played). It was a huge place and THE place to be in the summer! We also had many, many other cool venues we played, big and small....so, as you can see, music became a big part of my life as a youngster. What a time we had! (I actually built a big house on Cape Cod when I was 18 with some of the money I made from playing in the group.....with my father's stamp of approval, of course...since it became the family vacation place).

Oh...and on to that song in your listing that has the other memory..........I was the lead guitarist in the group (still have a Gretsch Country Gentleman guitar today) and when we used to go on break it became a tradition that I would play this song solo just before the break....and everyone loved it. They always asked for it....hence, it became the 'traditional' break song. Then, our last performance was at a place in New York.....it was a weekend long party scene with thousands of attendees. There was this orchestra that was also there.....about 25 to 30 instruments (strings, horns, et al). We knew it was our last performance (since we were heading off to different colleges) and put together this idea that we would play our last song as the one that everybody always wanted to hear......that break song.......and that I would play it with the orchestra as my accompaniment (to get the effect of the orchestra string instruments as in the original version of the song). I can still remember to this day singing that song and playing my guitar with that orchestra.....it was memorable and magic. I'll never forget it. That song brought the house down (probably because of the orchestra they were so good). I can still play every note and sing every word of that song to this day (but not as good as the person that wrote and performed it).

And that song was...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtrA4xqxIVY!

So, if I see you in a CL and someone hands me a guitar, I'll play it for you!

tef,

Good report!

I have a Les Paul, "Gold top" Gibson guitar, I can't play it, just a great investment.  I liked Les Paul and Mary Ford, could you play it?

Is it an 'original' or a 'tribute' model?

Either way, it's a GREAT guitar!

Sure I can play it. I still play today, just not with a group anymore (drives my wife crazy, but the neighbors ask me to bring it and play when we get together but I usually don't). You can bring 'Les Paul' to the Insiders gathering!

tef,

"Original" and it is a heavy guitar!

I loved Les Paul and my son plays it!

It was his Christmas present.  Great sound!

Those 'originals' all had great sound...especially with the right amp! My original Gretsch (a copy of the Country Gentleman made for George Harrison) had a great sound too. I later bought a 'new' Country Gentleman (a 'new' version of the original) because the pickups and sound dials were so much better than the 60's ones. Still a great sound!

You have a deal!  What great stories and music!

ProfChiara

Thanks, Prof...it truly was an impressionable time for my 'young' 13 thru 17 years. I really enjoyed it.

It is a deal! I'll see you in the CL!

Tef,

That's a really lovely story.  I would enjoy listening to you strum some chords on your Gretsch in a CL someday.  I don't know if I ever want to see you and my husband get together and talk music though.  It'd be over.  He has a rather obscene guitar collection (perhaps you do too), has played in many bands throughout his life (he still plays too - it makes him happy) and it sounds certain to me that if you two got going, you're wife and I may as well just go shopping, come back, and you'd never even know we were gone!  He has an old Gretsch.  I'll have to ask him about it and report back.  His 'Man Cave' is a smallish, overcrowded home music studio.

Thanks, Pluto......maybe your husband and I can get to swap stories (and chords) about our music affection/affliction!

I know about those music studio/man cave things. My office is a working studio where I have my guitars, amps, piano keyboard/synthesizer and a lot more 'stuff'. I do play some piano too and the synthethizer/keyboard gives many great instrumental sounds.

Kudos to your hubby for getting to play in different groups! After our band parted ways as kids, I never joined/formed another band. That was my one and only. I somewhat regretted that, but I always figured it would have been tough to duplicate the success we had, especially since we were so young, and I guess another deterrent was that I was such a stickler (as all of us were) for doing it 'right'. And then there was that 'work' thing....

But being in a band was really, really fun (hey, it was a thrill for a 14 year old to be playing at college mixers...they were so much 'older' than we were).....and.... that band thing later paid my way through all of college, built and paid for a home on Cape Cod, got me a brand spankin' new Corvette convertible and still left me lots of dough, re, mi in the bank....and I was just barely 18 as I recall when we called it quits! (special mention and thanks to my dad for helping and teaching me to do the right thing with our earnings). I was extrememly fortunate to hook up with the guys who had the same affection and passion for music as I did. But, I did continue to play....and still do today.

Affection/affliction .  Yes, sounds like you both purchased your man cave's out of the same catalog!    The sort of early success that you experienced is very rare and indeed quite amazing, so many kudos to you for that.  Quite an accomplishment.  My husbands professional music pursuits saw nothing like the success of yours, but he did manage to eek out a living during certain periods in his life (ie. "early" and "later" college).  Since we've been married, his music has mainly been limited to church and community outreach stuff.  Recently he has done more of his own stuff, but again, he's just having fun.  He mentioned for the first time ever recently something about his fingers not being as flexible as they once were; perhaps a little bit of arthritis... About the guitars, his is (gosh, I knew it would get foggy between last night's conversation and today...) an Anniversary edition?  He said the Country Gentleman is a VERY nice guitar.  He and his BFF both purchased Tennesseeans when they were young, which he sold and his friend still has to this day (and GH played one of those as well, I understand).  Then he mentioned something about a White Falcon(?) that Stephen Stills used to (still does?) play, another nice guitar.  I enjoy just listening to his inexpensive but well made hollow body electric Ovation, especially with new strings.  It has a nice, crisp sound.  It's a solid everyday work horse.  Another favorite of mine is his 12 string "Rick", which he got at Gruhn's in Nashville one year.  I like it's sound.  No, I love it's sound.  I'll ask him about his Les Paul.  I don't think it's anything fancy, but he's fond of it, of course.

It's nice to know about this music side of you!

The Anniversary is a really nice guitar. Is it that nice soft (pale) green color? I think (but not sure) it was a limited edition model so it's not made any more so it's got to be a keeper! Is the Tennessean the Chet Atkins Tennessee Rose model? The 'White Falcon'....wow what a nice, but expensive, guitar. It's white and gold and costs about $3500. They have a similar 'White Penguin' that's a little less in cost. Gretsch makes a beautiful guitar no matter the model.

Even though we had a lot of success as youngsters in the band, I don't think I really appreciated what we accomplished until I was older and could understand it better. When you're 13 and 14 years old, you're really just having fun. The 'money' part of it wasn't a big deal. Like I said, thank goodness my dad understood what we had!

Our high school really had a lot of music afficionados. The class after us also had a very successful band! One of their members certainly took better advantage of their success. He continued his music career after high school and college! We knew him as Jack Marcellino. Others probably know him better as Jocko from Sha-Na-Na!

Hi Tef,

Sorry to take so long to answer.  The Gretsch is a sunburst.  He said the green one's were the more rare, but when he purchased his Gretsch, it just so happened that there were a bunch of the light green ones, and only one sunburst, and I guess that sort of helped make up his mind for him.  It's a '64.  The Rickenbacker is a '68.  Les Paul is a '78.  The Tennessean wasn't a rose (and he doesn't have it anymore), and don't know if I was clear about this, he doesn't own a White Falcon.  He just mentioned it with affection in the context of the conversation.   You know what else I rather enjoy the sound of, believe it or not?  A Tele. 

The mind wanders, I found a Zombies CD yesterday that I blew the dust off and have been playing in the car.

It's Summertime, and the livin' is easy, the bees are jumping and the cotton is high

You're daddy is rich and your mama's good looking, would you hush pretty baby, don't you cry.

I love the bass lines and the pure, rich sound of that Hammond organ that they used.  They were a little before my time, but I love them!  Makes me wish I could go back to a time that I know nothing about!

Ah yes, The Zombies. Know that group r-e-a-l-l-y well.......that Hammond organ was actually a Hohner Pianette (electric piano). Had a very similar sound to the organ when put through the right amplification. They (Zombies) used a Hohner Pianette as the 'main' instrument sound for their music. The only reason I know was because the piano player we had in our group loved the Zombies because he had the same electric piano and he was crazy about the fact that the Zombies songs we played (Tell Her No http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43on86AmOw8, and She's Not There http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKI3K42PRLQ) let him use his electric piano the way they did! (he also had an organ he played). You can  really hear in the beginning of 'Tell her No' the sound of that electric piano. He would have had us playing all their songs if he had his way! Wow...what a trip down memory lane this has been! Thanks!

GM1,

I grew up in Riverview & Grosse Ile.

Which Detroit suburb are you from?

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

GP,

I grew up in Allen Park.  If I recall correctly, Grosse Ile was the home of the famous "Looney Rooney".