24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2012 7:20 PM by boldie24 RSS

question re Platinum upgrade

pilgrim37 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all:

As a new platinum, when is the best time to ask for an upgrade?  I have some existing reservations and just made Platinum yesterday.  Since it is dependent upon availability, is the proper time to ask for the upgrade at check-in?  Or is it possible to call ahead and see if I could get it based on the status alone?  I have a feeling I'm supposed to wait until check-in, right?

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: question re Platinum upgrade
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

pilgrim37,

Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite Benefits state that you will be upgraded automatically upon check-in if rooms are available.  However, I've heard from others on Insiders, that this isn't always the case. 

"For Platinum Elite members the best way is up! So every time you check in, we'll do our best to upgrade you to a premium room - at no additional charge – for your entire stay.  Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel.  See terms and conditions for details. Marriott Platinum Reward Status | Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

If not offered upon check-in, you should ask.  It also wouldn't hurt to ask before had as well.  Others have suggested writing a letter to the hotel's GM to ask for the upgrade beforehand.  It may or may not be reflected in your reservation details on your online account.  Hope this helps!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pilgrim,

kh has spelled it out pretty well. It never hurts to ask. Early check-ins vs late night check-ins seem to help, as well.  Good luck and report back often on your experiences.

klaus29 Silver

Piligrim 37

this  question cam many  time;     here  my answer    Dont wait  the  day  when you check in, then its to late.  possible  rooms  are avaible

but you pay for your upgrate .    I phone to the hotel , and ask the  e mail adresse.  and then i dont sent a letter,  but a e mail  to  the GM

with my  request   for a free  upgrate  to a  Suite.  for  me  this  work alredy 4 years very  good like this..    If i dont  get a Suite i  have a 90%

a very nice  upgrate for  FREE.

Klaus is the MAN!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

klaus29,

Thanks for sharing your recommendations, I have not done it that way but here is my experience:

My very best "Upgrades" have come as a "Surprise" at check-in".

Likewise, if I know I am coming back and when, I let the hotel know before I leave it and they usually take very good care of me!

zapbob Platinum 60 Reviews

JEEEEZE...

Why are soo many people concerned about upgrades?? When your by yourself do you really need 1000 Sq feet?

I'm a Platinum Premier and get upgrade 50% of the time...but I really don't care. I've even given my upgraded room to people behind me in line.

They only time an Upgrade is appreciated is when I travel with the Wife....5% of my travel.

pilgrim37 Gold

Ah, that's our difference, zapbob.  Easily 50% or more of my travel is with my husband and 3 kids (who are rapidly growing into tweens).  We need the space!  Remind me to stand behind you in line --

thanks, guys, for your responses!  Very much appreciated. 

zapbob Platinum

Pilgrim37....

I wish there was a way to make sure Platinum Families were first up for upgrades.....seems kinda silly for one guy to sleep in a suite when a family has to hunker down in a 2 queen room. But...you have these people who think it's all about them.

I guess staying in a suite makes them feel more important...

Good Luck....

ZapBob

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

zapbob

I guess driving a nice car is also a waste??  I love upgrades and NEVER feel important just because I got upgraded.  I FEEL REWARDED!!!!

just my opinion. 

You crack me, shoe. lol... I saw this coming.

zapbob Platinum 2 Reviews

Compairing a car to a suite makes no sense....90% of the suites i've sayed in have the same beds, towels, sheets, TV, etc. They are just larger and might have a couch. Can't say the same about cars...

I'd rather be rewarded with free full breakfast and an extra bottle of water

Just my opinion

ZB

zapbob,

Good point, a car is really different than an upgrade.

Zapbob

In the spirit  of the day, I can understand your willingness to "redistribute" the upgrades.  As I would tell a certain other fella, redistribute YOUR belongings and leave MINE alone.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

SO appropriate!!!  I had to delete my first post to answer Zap.  I just couldn't find a nice way to say it.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Yeh, that's why I like upgrades...because it's all about me.  Right!

Zapbob,

I don't understand the animosity towards people who want to validate that their years of travel are actually being rewarded and that the hotel chain of their choice is trying to live up to their promises.  The hotels don't give the upgrades if they don't have plenty available because they want the income.  The people who are earning the upgrades have paid their dues and had to "hunker down" with their families in the past, if they even got to have their families travel with them.  To me, if everyone acts like it's an upgrade that's too insignificant to be bothered with, it would disappear as a benefit when we actually would need it.  I'm the wife of a traveler who has earned those upgrades and our family likes them, even though my 2 older sons no longer travel with us.  We sometimes have family and friends visiting with us when we go to other cities, or at least, want the room in case they do.  

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

I am with you.  I rarely ask about upgrades when I am traveling by myself but when they are offered, I gratefully accept.  I hate, however, the inconsistency from Marriott properties when I am traveling with my wife/family and request an upgrade.  I have had some fantastic surprises (unbelievable suite upgrade on top floor with view of the Eiffel Tower) to lame "view" upgrades or moving you up one floor when it is clear suites are available.

I have stayed over 200 nights per year for the last three plus years exclusively at Marriott properties (I know, many of you have done the same and longer).  I expect some display of appreciation for that loyalty and maybe a little more consistency. 

I agree with Jerry.  Last week, my wife was traveling on my points  and had stays in Plano, Texas (Marriott-Legacy), and Marriott Memphis, TN.  Lo and behold, she was upgraded on both stays and it was a total surprise.  She was thrilled.......

Shoeman,

I travel alone a lot, and really could care about most upgrades, alone.  Usually, get something extra, just due to my Platinum status, but the only time I really care if I am taking a loved one with me.  Have been lucky, and most of the time get a nice upgrade, but I have never "Asked" anyone for an upgrade.

If "Whatever" works for others so-be-it, it is just something I have chosen not to do.

Pilgrim37,

I ask the reservationist to state on our reservation that we'd like an upgrade (in case I forget at the hotel), and I always use the 866 phone number on the back of the card because they can sometimes see and do things that I can't online.  I also use the "my date is flexible" option to look at what's going on in the hotels I'm interested since that will show me the dates they're booked solid and the dates that are cheapest and will be more likely to be upgraded.    

dejamo Platinum

The key is not to expect anything except the GUARANTEED elements.... like a clean place to sleep.  Some of those "Guarantees" can be explained to you by your lawyer after they read all of the TOC's.  Then, for the zombies behind the check in desks, you can have your lawyer look through their MS DOS screen in front of them to get those guarantees.

Of course,  if your lawyer is out on his/her boat (that you paid for), you can pull out your Status of Forces Agreement and wake up the GM of the "independently owned and operated" location if you need to.

Other than that you will be sorely disappointed depending on where you are staying.

Who do you think you are ?  Just because you are a Platinum/Platinum Premier,  you expect to be shown that your "Most Valued Cutomer" status is actually wanted ?   You really have some nerve !

Animosity ?  Sarcasm ?     Where ? 

Come to the Dark Side Luke !

(Blame it on erc,  he woke me up !)

I know how you feel, dejamo.  It was like trying to rip us off when we travel a lot to even have been offered a measly 15,000 points for a few weekends when they had our history right there in front of them.   Someone told me that they were trying to get us to stay more as being the motivation for the Mega Bonus offers and that person obviously didn't know that we'd stayed every night for the last 2 years and still weren't offered the higher points. They say they use your past history to determine your bonus.  If that really is so, then they were trying to rip us off.  That was NOT good customer service or even caring about the customers.  With good customer service, we wouldn't even have to call up to be switched, IMHO. 

It's kind of like when you're promised a raise by one person in a corp and then someone else doesn't know that it was promised so they don't deliver the raise.  I found a  new job and walked.  The corp is responsible for what was promised even if they hire some dodo who can't give the proper mega bonuses, either.

And now they say that once we're offered a mega bonus, we won't be able to switch.  If they ever pull that stunt on us again, we're gone, too.

And talk about the "zombies" in front of the screens.  We had one to laugh at how few nights we had for that year when we checked into a CY in Austin, TX.  It was a big, beautiful place on the north side of Austin close to I-35, nowhere close to the campus, I don't think.  It was right there on the screen so she was so rude as to point it out.

That year or the next, we started spending every night in Marriott for the next 6 months and still haven't left nearly 30 months after that 4th of July we got here and still have no idea when he won't be working on site.  

jeffl Platinum 1 Reviews

There are a lot of good suggestions about how to get upgraded in the earlier answers (and a lot of opinions about whether you should try or not, which I will leave alone, I'll assume you have a good reason for wanting to and need to know how ;-) Through the years at Marriott I've found the following:

1. It's easier to get upgraded if you don't ask all the time. So saving the requests for when you need it helps you make the case that you're not just asking every time but you need it.
    2. It helps to tell them you're traveling with family. Not only do you obviously need the extra space, but Marriott is very aware that if a business traveler brings their spouse and children with them on a trip and gets a nice suite, the family will probably be more supportive of future business travel, which helps Marriott in the end.
    3. It helps to meet and build a relationship with a rewards program manager at any hotel you stay at frequently. Most of the Marriott and JW Marriott hotels in larger markets have several rewards managers, often tied to a corporate account if the hotel gets significant business from a local large company. This person can automatically get you upgraded pretty much any time you need if you know them personally. Again, not abusing the privilege is a key to making this relationship work.
    4. Contrary to an earlier statement, I've found that checking in later at night is helpful. If it's 9:00 and they have not rented a suite yet, they are not likely to that night so it's very likely they'll give it to you. I've gotten the Presidential Suite a couple of times this way. Obviously this works best for one night stays.

Good luck and happy travels with the family!

dejamo Platinum

The best way to get an upgrade is to obtain elite status with IHG, Priority Club or Starwood, and check into one of their properties.

Take their "Platinum or Diamond" challenges

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...