1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 8:04 PM by gm1 RSS

Ghent & Guided World War I site tours

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I will be visiting Belgium in April - 5 nights in Ghent and 2 in Brussels - and I was wondering if anyone knows of tours from the hotel or from Ghent to some of the World War I sites.  Also, does anyone know the email address for the concierge at the Ghent Marriott?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Ghent, Belgium Marriott Hotels & Resorts Ghent Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Ghent & Guided World War I site tours
    gm1 Gold 1 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

psudad,

Last spring I came across an online article that mentioned special tours from Brussels to commemorate the centennial of the beginning of the Great War in the fall of 2014.  I was negligent and failed to book mark the site and have not been able to find it again.  In my searches I did find two sites that might be useful. This site lists WWI tours from Bruges (I am certainly not an expert on European travel but it appears that Bruges is a short train ride from Ghent.) www.visitbruges.org/visit-tours-bruges/daytours-bruges.asp.  I have also read that Bruges was the starting point for a number of WWI tours due to its location in Flanders near many of the key battle sites and monuments.  Another site is www.greatwar.co.uk/article/visit-1-battlefield.htm.  I hope these urls prove useful.  I am in the initial stages of putting together a trip to England and Belgium for the fall of 2014 and any feedback on WWI tours that you are able to provide on your travels in Belgium would be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...